What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giving up on certain players....when is it time? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
How long do you wait for guys to possibly turn it around? Do you drop them and don't look back?

For example, Cam Newton and Isaiah Crowell. I really liked both heading into the year but they've been garbage. How much longer do you wait with guys like this? It's hard to drop them.

It really depends on your roster and bench space. One important fact I've learned in my 25 years of playing FF is don't get married to names, get married to the numbers and how these players actually look on the field.

It really depends on your roster and bench space. One important fact I've learned in my 25 years of playing FF is don't get married to names, get married to the numbers and how these players actually look on the field.
This.  

Also look at the opportunities they are getting and where those opportunities are on the field.

Cam looks bad on the field.  He isn't running the ball like he used to (which is a huge part of his fantasy appeal), he doesn't have Olsen for at least 6 more weeks, Cam is terrible at the screen game, and CAR is running the ball with McCaffrey and Stewart a lot.  Cam is actually a candidate to be dropped.

Crowell not so much.  I would give him a few more weeks.  It is possible that Kizer is killing Crowell's value, but I would want to see another couple of weeks just to be sure.

Dropping is only half the equation. You need to replace them with someone.

I just ask myself whether, if a new draft were held today, I'd draft whoever's available over whoever I'm dropping.

FF owners tend to get attached to their players. In a new draft the choice is easier since you're not admitting you were wrong.

Dropping is only half the equation. You need to replace them with someone.

I just ask myself whether, if a new draft were held today, I'd draft whoever's available over whoever I'm dropping.

FF owners tend to get attached to their players. In a new draft the choice is easier since you're not admitting you were wrong.
This is a great thought exercise to forcefully divorce your player valuation from the endowment effect.

Good responses about this already in the thread.

I would say after 3 or 4 weeks if a player is not getting it done then it may be time to move on. I still think you should try to look forward before making that decision though. If match ups in upcoming weeks or other factors cause you to think the player can turn their performance around, then maybe you hang on a bit longer. If the team and player are just not performing though then its time to look for better options.

As PhantomJB points out though, you need to have someone better to pick up to make dropping the guy you have worth it.

In the case of Crowell Duke Johnson is outperforming him. Johnson is RB 20 in standard scoring leagues while Crowell is RB 37. In PPR advantage for Johnson even greater. RB 18 vs RB 40.

Good responses about this already in the thread.

I would say after 3 or 4 weeks if a player is not getting it done then it may be time to move on. I still think you should try to look forward before making that decision though. If match ups in upcoming weeks or other factors cause you to think the player can turn their performance around, then maybe you hang on a bit longer. If the team and player are just not performing though then its time to look for better options.

As PhantomJB points out though, you need to have someone better to pick up to make dropping the guy you have worth it.

In the case of Crowell Duke Johnson is outperforming him. Johnson is RB 20 in standard scoring leagues while Crowell is RB 37. In PPR advantage for Johnson even greater. RB 18 vs RB 40.
Excellent points. I would just add to look for "structural" factors.

In the OP's example of Cam Newton, you've got issues such as shoulder healing balanced by the loss of his favorite target Olsen...hopefully his shoulder will continue heal and timing improve, but losing Olsen is tough.

Any overall generalisation is essentially a wrong answer.

The truth lies in the individual case of the player and how that player relates to the situation of your roster and the parameters and size of your league. 

not turning it around:

Cam

Crowell

Melvin Gordon is worse this year than he's ever been in terms of yards per carry.he wont turn things around.SD err LAC are who we thought they were..totally inept on offense led by Clueless Ken Whizenhunt and  a hodgepodge of cast off coaches. you have Chargers? sell sell sell

Lets just get it out of the way..Jamaal Charles is thisclose to becoming a household name once again..get him NOW...CJ anderson doesnt last more than about 200 carries/yr. Charles could be the guy who wins titles this year.

Amari Cooper isnt turning it around 

NE defense is the most fantasy friendly defense thus far in 2017.thats not going to change.theyre just.plain.bad.

I dont think Bell turns it around.he looks 'off'..

I dropped Cam Newton after the NO game. If he can't perform at a high level against that defense then he's simply not going to do it. I picked up Smith to backup Rivers. Too much money on the line to hold on to someone who simply hasn't produced.

Whats on the line should be a factor in your decision as well and when money is on the line you have to make that decision and move on.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread