What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone starting Doug Martin on Thursday right out of the gate, or....? (1 Viewer)

If you own Doug Martin, are you starting him Thursday vs. NE, or waiting to see if he needs to knock

• Yep, Martin is in my lineup this Thurssday

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • I'll wait and see. Probably won't start him right away.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

goldenboy232

Footballguy
Would like to hear from Doug Martin owners. Anyone starting him on Thursday night vs. New England right off the bat? Or are you going to wait a week or so to see if he needs to knock some rust off?

I'll hang up and listen.

I'll have Freeman and Kamara on bye and a very questionable Ty Montgomery, so yeah I'll be starting him. I'd just as soon not though and wait a week

I am. I have another decent choice (Mixon) but the NE defense seems like a safe start for opposing skill players. I don't expect a full work load, but I also think those 15-18 touches have the chance to be worth a decent amount against a defense playing as poorly as NE.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a flex in a 1/2ppr league, my other options are Alshon and Tarik Cohen. Leaning toward going with Martin because of the matchup. I would hate to have him go off on my bench. I drafted him to get starter talent in a late round, and here we are...

I will probably hold off for this week.  Thursday games are usually messy and I haven't liked the talk about Martin's role coming into this game.  I see a potential for a bust more than the potential for a boom.  In one league I  have Hunt and Elliott so I can afford to take a week off and see what he does before putting him in as a flex.  In the other league I have him in I just lost Montgomery (who I was using as a flex) so I might be tempted to throw Martin in that spot.  Ideally I would like to wait a week but as other's have mentioned injuries may press him into action.

In the only league I have Martin in, he's my RB4 in a 10 team league.  Drafted Gurley and Zeke, and had the good fortune of taking Hunt late who's now my flex.  Hoping for a big game out of Martin so I can trade him for a WR upgrade

I'm leaning towards starting him.  In my league, we start 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 1 DEF 1 K, 0.5 PPR.  My other options are A. Ellington and T.  Cohen.  I was hoping to win my bid for L. Murray but was outbid.  This week is a good matchup against NE.  It's hard to say how much he'll play.  Martin is quoted as saying that he's not sure how many snaps he'll play on Thursday.  My guess is that there will be more scoring opportunities in this game so even if he is in there for a limited time, he might hit pay dirt and get 7-12 points.  Ellington and Cohen are probably going to get me 6-9 points as a baseline.  If his 1st game were against Den, Min, or Hou, I probably would wait on starting him, but with NE, I think his ceiling is a little higher than my other alternatives.

I was curious with this same question.

I'm in a non ppr league with a flex position.

I have Hunt Mixon Collins Martin and due to byes I only have 2 wr's.

I'm leaning toward flexing Collins and hoping for a touchdown before he fumbles.

If this game was on Sunday I would definitely start Martin.  But for Thursday, they had one practice on Tuesday, which was just a walk through.  So now I am a little conflicted.  My other options are (PPT League) Zeke (automatic when he's healthy), Tarik Cohen, and Wendell Smallwood - and now Smallwood missed practice Wednesday with a knee issue.

Same boat. I am leaning to flex, but I've got a lot of options. We are non-PPR, bulk of flex choices are WR. Would you go any of these over Martin?

J Stewart (myFBG is suggesting him)

T Cohen

D Funchess

Will Fuller

Jaron Brown

(hard to believe I have Amari Cooper benched and not considering him at all)

Last edited by a moderator:
The big question is who's the goal line back ?  With the points that we all think will be scored I have to believe we will see a couple of opportunities

where TB will hand off for a plunge into the end zone. I have to think that would be Martin as he's the bigger more powerful back.

I'm staring him over Cohen in one league.  TB has been hurting for a running game and I think they will really want to establish it right from the get go.  Martin looked good in the preseason and he hasn't been injured.  For him it doesn't matter if it's a Thursday night game, he's fresh.   I don't understand the thinking that they need to ease him into anything,  He should be ready to roll and this match up is as good as it gets. 

If this game was on Sunday I would definitely start Martin.  But for Thursday, they had one practice on Tuesday, which was just a walk through.  So now I am a little conflicted.  My other options are (PPT League) Zeke (automatic when he's healthy), Tarik Cohen, and Wendell Smallwood - and now Smallwood missed practice Wednesday with a knee issue.
It's not like he is changing teams and had to learn a brand new offense.  It is the same as he has ran the last couple years so as long as he is in shape having minimal practices this week shouldn't be an issue.  

It's not like he is changing teams and had to learn a brand new offense.  It is the same as he has ran the last couple years so as long as he is in shape having minimal practices this week shouldn't be an issue.  
No, but there are timing issues - how many handoffs has he taken from Winston this week?  Hopefully they worked on it outside of practice for 15 or 30 minutes - pitch outs too hopefuly.  The other concern would be pass blocking.

One thing in Martin's favor after a short week is that everybody else (on both teams) is playing on 4 days rest, including Jacquizz Rodgers, while Martin is fresh as a daisy.

I'm rolling with him so let's hope for a big night!

Users who are viewing this thread