What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elijah McGuire (1 Viewer)

Football Jones

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread on him. Interesting prospect who has a real chance to be their starter no later than next season. McGuire has shown me a lot in the touches he's received so far.

Good speed, quickness, & pass-catching ability to go along with decent size. McGuire has a lot of upside, IMO.

What do you guys think about him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned him in a few other threads. 

Liked what I saw from him in pre-season, but never thought he'd look this good this early.

For redraft leagues, it might be tough for him to get a lot more touches when Forte returns. Ironically, what may be holding him back is that the Jets are actually competitive right now and not playing for next year - which would give McGuire an extended audition.

Definitely a stash and hold though IMO. Forte is obviously not the future, and while Powell has performed well when pushed into spot duty, he's not really the future either. 

If Jets don't draft a high-cost rb next year (less likely because they probably will be drafting a high-cost qb), you are very potentially (I'd say at least 50% chance) looking at the Jets 2018 starting rb.  What's that worth with a rookie qb and an unproven wr corp? 

In redraft, not worth much more than having him on the waiver speed dial. In dynasty, knowing that this is a longer term play... it might start paying return later this year but one needs to enter this thinking it is a hold for next year.... I would not burn all my waiver bucks on him, but in a league with 6+ spots on the bench, and depending upon the quality of my team's bench, I would certainly pick him up,

If Jets don't draft a high-cost rb next year (less likely because they probably will be drafting a high-cost qb), you are very potentially (I'd say at least 50% chance) looking at the Jets 2018 starting rb.  What's that worth with a rookie qb and an unproven wr corp? 

In redraft, not worth much more than having him on the waiver speed dial. In dynasty, knowing that this is a longer term play... it might start paying return later this year but one needs to enter this thinking it is a hold for next year.... I would not burn all my waiver bucks on him, but in a league with 6+ spots on the bench, and depending upon the quality of my team's bench, I would certainly pick him up,
The Jets are going to have a lot of holes to fill next year, QB being an obvious one. I doubt that RB will be on the high list of draft needs next year, although there is always the FA route.

really like this kid.....Forte will not be on the roster next yr...Powell is signed for a reasonable number....I think it will be a Powell/McGuire backfield and they will not want Forte to crash the party....turf toe can linger so hopefully they have a few more weeks to cement this duo.  

Jets have so many holes I dont see them spending big $ or a high pick on a RB...they can float with Powell/McGuire in 2018.  Powell will be 30 but not much tread on him as he has been P/T most of career,  

Kiddnets said:
really like this kid.....Forte will not be on the roster next yr...Powell is signed for a reasonable number....I think it will be a Powell/McGuire backfield and they will not want Forte to crash the party....turf toe can linger so hopefully they have a few more weeks to cement this duo.  

Jets have so many holes I dont see them spending big $ or a high pick on a RB...they can float with Powell/McGuire in 2018.  Powell will be 30 but not much tread on him as he has been P/T most of career,  
If Saquon Barkley comes out, you draft him. Ya can't say this stuff when you're discussing the top of the draft.  You have few chances up there and you pick someone ya fall in love with. 

No idea what the Jets will do, but one of the mantras I'd have as an NFL GM would be no RBs in the 1st round. With good scouting, top RBs can consistently be had after round 1. I don't care who we're talking about (Zeke, Barkley, whoever). It's not the right move, IMO, especially for a rebuilding team.

If Saquon Barkley comes out, you draft him. Ya can't say this stuff when you're discussing the top of the draft.  You have few chances up there and you pick someone ya fall in love with. 
He's a top 5 pick but most teams, including the Jets, would be better off over the long haul with Darnold, Rosen or (although he's lost some acclaim lately) Josh Allen. Assuming your coach can do his job.

He's a top 5 pick but most teams, including the Jets, would be better off over the long haul with Darnold, Rosen or (although he's lost some acclaim lately) Josh Allen. Assuming your coach can do his job.
Getting off topic but I agree. Case in point, imagine if Dallas drafted Ramsey at 4 overall (the consensus pick) and Henry in round 2. Compare that to Elliot and Jaylen Smith. No brainer to me

Getting off topic but I agree. Case in point, imagine if Dallas drafted Ramsey at 4 overall (the consensus pick) and Henry in round 2. Compare that to Elliot and Jaylen Smith. No brainer to me
I don't know about Ramsey but Goff and Wentz were drafted by worse teams and currently have a better record than Zeke. 

So no, I don't think there Jets draft a RB with a top 3 pick. At this rate they might not have a top 3 pick, so we'll just have to see what happens.

Put in a waiver claim on him. What the hell! I'll probably end his season, too. 

maf005 said:
You nailed it. As a Dallas fan, you can't imagine the disappointment I had when Zeke's name was called at 4 instead of Ramsey's. I was in disbelief, LOL.

They've made other key mistakes like letting Leary walk, but passing on Ramsey & taking Zeke definitely set them back a ways over the long haul.

No idea what the Jets will do, but one of the mantras I'd have as an NFL GM would be no RBs in the 1st round. With good scouting, top RBs can consistently be had after round 1. I don't care who we're talking about (Zeke, Barkley, whoever). It's not the right move, IMO, especially for a rebuilding team.
My best guess right now is that Cleveland will draft Barkley unless Kizer looks awful the rest of the season. 

It would be shocking if the Jets took a running back in the first round. They are likely going to finish around 4-12 and will be in position to draft a quarterback.

As for McGuire he did look okay in preseason but has looked even better in the regular season. He looks to have some real NFL talent. I do not think he is a flash in the pan. 

Rolling him out with Collins as my RB duo this week on my 0-4 team. Wish me luck  :shock:

I think he gets plenty of burn along w Powell vs CLE with Forte still out.

someone has to step up and be a RB in Jetsland

why not McGuire ? young RB, can catch, Forte is old and Powell isn't all that great or at least he's never shown it

DirtyCashDylan said:
Rolling him out with Collins as my RB duo this week on my 0-4 team. Wish me luck  :shock:

I think he gets plenty of burn along w Powell vs CLE with Forte still out.
On a rebuild I have him in TBD coin toss for my flex this week.

I posted this in WW thread. I'm on board. I see no long term threat from Powell or Forte. McGuire has a nice mix of speed/size/power/elusiveness. I think hes bigger, more powerful and faster than Powell and just as if not more elusive.

I watched McGuire run. I like him the best. Didn't bother with Murray. Gallman is 2nd. I wouldn't read too much into Powell's outburst. It was one of those weird plays where the defense thinks hes down and he gets up and runs for a long TD and the D is like wth? 75 yard TD right there instead of a 6 yard gain. I thought McGuire ran better, actually outran the defense (corners) for real on his TD. I was surprised to see he weighs 215 lbs on his profile. cos the way he moves I thought he was sub 200 lbs. I really liked what he has shown in this game. He has 10 lbs on Powell and looks quicker.

I watched the game replay yesterday, but the key takeaway for me was this is a 215 lbs back running away from a small corner. 2:22 mark he only has a step on #22 Aaron colvin as they cross the 50 yard line, nevermid how he got to that point which was also impressive). Aaron runs a 4.41 40. 50 yards later McGuire scores the TD. Aaron definitely did not close on him. It shows a lot that he scored that TD from 50 yards out. Many Rbs would not have scored on that play, most assuredly not Forte (in his current state of old age) or Powell.

He also creates nicely something out of nothing at the 17 second mark on that catch. Most RBs would not have run out of that tackle attempt.

His measurables...https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/elijah-mcguire

Nothing special, but I know that's not the end all be all.  3 cone drill he is at 13%.  I am not a huge combine guy but I think a lot of people feel that and 40 time (61%, 4.53) are the most important measurables for a RB.  I could be wrong.

He does not stand out as special in any single category though.  he is in the 71st percentile for his vertical jump which looks like his best category.

The biggest take away for me is it just seems the Jets do not want Powell to be the guy. That to me makes McGuire a great flyer. Plus he looks really good.

His measurables...https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/elijah-mcguire

Nothing special, but I know that's not the end all be all.  3 cone drill he is at 13%.  I am not a huge combine guy but I think a lot of people feel that and 40 time (61%, 4.53) are the most important measurables for a RB.  I could be wrong.

He does not stand out as special in any single category though.  he is in the 71st percentile for his vertical jump which looks like his best category.
40 times and 3 cone drills would be a lot more useful with pads on, especially for the sub 200 lb guys cos 20 lbs of equipment makes more of a difference on a guy that weighs 180 (11.1% of added weight) than it does on a guy weighing 250 (8%). I think that's where the term game speed comes into play. #22 on paper owns a faster 40 time than McGuire, but actual game footage shows that "game speed" they are the same speed. 

I watched the game replay yesterday, but the key takeaway for me was this is a 215 lbs back running away from a small corner. 2:22 mark he only has a step on #22 Aaron colvin as they cross the 50 yard line, nevermid how he got to that point which was also impressive). Aaron runs a 4.41 40. 50 yards later McGuire scores the TD. Aaron definitely did not close on him. It shows a lot that he scored that TD from 50 yards out. Many Rbs would not have scored on that play, most assuredly not Forte (in his current state of old age) or Powell.

He also creates nicely something out of nothing at the 17 second mark on that catch. Most RBs would not have run out of that tackle attempt.
SSD, whose opinion is widely respected, is questioning his vision, since he does run into the back of his oline on several plays. Minus those 2 excellent plays above, which you can't take away, did he pass the eye test? 

Not necessarily talking about McGuire & this could be a thread of its own, but Combine & Pro Day numbers are the elephant in the room. You're always not quite sure what to make of them.

Generally, I feel they're way overrated. For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't have players in full pads when testing. Some guys carry their pads better than others (typically, the bigger guys). It still wouldn't be definitive because there's so many other dynamics that go into gameday speed, but it would certainly be better than having them in t-shirts & shorts.

Case in point, does Kareem Hunt look like he runs a 4.63 40? No. It's just a tool for me & a very subjective one at that. Dalvin Cook's 3-cone time is another instance where the Underwear Olympics are very misleading. They need to revamp the whole thing, IMO.

Not necessarily talking about McGuire & this could be a thread of its own, but Combine & Pro Day numbers are the elephant in the room. You're always not quite sure what to make of them.

Generally, I feel they're way overrated. For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't have players in full pads when testing. Some guys carry their pads better than others (typically, the bigger guys). It still wouldn't be definitive because there's so many other dynamics that go into gameday speed, but it would certainly be better than having them in t-shirts & shorts.

Case in point, does Kareem Hunt look like he runs a 4.63 40? No. It's just a tool for me & a very subjective one at that. Dalvin Cook's 3-cone time is another instance where the Underwear Olympics are very misleading. They need to revamp the whole thing, IMO.
One way I look at athleticism is that, assuming a prospect has the baseline requisite measurables (which exact values can be debated), it matters if a prospect under- or over-performs his athleticism. 

Just to use a couple extreme examples, Diggs and DGB (remember him?). Diggs had a very young breakout age and was very productive in college despite modest combine #s. DGB (or justin hunter etc) were athletic freaks yet didn't amount to much in terms of production. If a prospect is bigger and faster than their peers and still can't produce, it's a major red flag. And likewise, if a prospect is extremely productive and is a minus athlete (yet still above the baseline requirement), that can often be a strong indicator of a special prospect.

McGuire may have that "something else" factor that isn't captured at the combine. Although, i would rate his athleticism as average rather than below average

SSD, whose opinion is widely respected, is questioning his vision, since he does run into the back of his oline on several plays. Minus those 2 excellent plays above, which you can't take away, did he pass the eye test? 
I thought he looked good in space, nothing special in traffic. I didn't notice him missing any holes / making bad decisions except arguably for the play at 0:31. When he ran into bodies, there weren't any holes.

I would defer to ssnd on vision. I don't have enough to make a determination. His draft profile mentioned this as well (running into blockers) as pass protection as areas that needs improvement. For this game I wouldn't say that, and I would say he passes the eye test. 

Would you drop Rod Smith for McGuire? My dilemma as my other backs are Alf Morris/Lat Murray/Alex Collins/Marlon Mack and Smith. Standard League... don't think I can. Smith could elevate to a starter in a far more potent offense, or at least fulfill a Tevin Coleman type role.

The Frankman said:
Would you drop Rod Smith for McGuire? My dilemma as my other backs are Alf Morris/Lat Murray/Alex Collins/Marlon Mack and Smith. Standard League... don't think I can. Smith could elevate to a starter in a far more potent offense, or at least fulfill a Tevin Coleman type role.
I agree with you. We've seen what McGuire can do, now let's see what the Smith kid is about. 

This kid has some talent, hope they give him a chance since we all know what Powell can do.
BTW, I now see why Frankman was so anti-zeke, he has Smith and Morris. I have to remember, everyone has an agenda.

This kid has some talent, hope they give him a chance since we all know what Powell can do.
BTW, I now see why Frankman was so anti-zeke, he has Smith and Morris. I have to remember, everyone has an agenda.
He likes butter on his popcorn

anti-Zeke?

*checks WheelsUp's posting history*

I'm sorry, but you are a clown. Go paint your face.

Elijah McGuire played 36-of-69 snaps (52 percent) Week 10 against the Bucs.

Bilal Powell played 33 snaps with Matt Forte sidelined. Neither player was spectacular, but McGuire did out-gain Powell 58-to-36 and saw seven targets to just two for Powell. With Matt Forte looking likely to miss several games with a knee issue, McGuire can be added in all formats.

Nov 13 - 10:35 AM

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News expects sophomore Elijah McGuire to be the Jets' third-down back this season.

"Eli looks fantastic to be perfectly honest," RBs coach Stump Mitchell said. "I’ll tell you who I see Eli as — and he’s in the Hall of Fame. Eli has the skill set to be a LaDainian Tomlinson if he was given that opportunity." Hefty praise for the 2017 sixth-rounder. McGuire posted an 88-315-1 rushing line as a rookie, adding 17-177-1 as a receiver. The Jets signed Isaiah Crowell to a $12 million deal in March for early downs, and it sounds like McGuire has the edge over Bilal Powell for pass-game work. The Jets can save $4 million cutting Bilal Powell.

Source: New York Daily News 

Jun 15 - 9:10 AM

Elijah McGuire - RB -  Jets

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Eli McGuire (foot) could open the season on injured reserve.

McGuire is out indefinetly after foot surgery. It's possible he's dealing with a Lisfranc fracture, putting his season in jeopardy. McGuire may be a candidate for IR/Return depending on how he recovers. Hyped as a second-year breakout, losing McGuire is a downgrade to the Jets' run game and third-down offense. The Jets visited with Alfred Morris and Orleans Darkwa as potential McGuire replacements. McGuire's injury locks Bilal Powell into passing snaps.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jul 28 - 4:14 PM

Was dropped in my dynasty league. Stashed on IR. Glad to activate him. Could push for the starting job for next year possibly, or maybe a 1B role, which can be very valuable. 

McGuire, if fully healthy, is clearly the superior talent to Cannon 
McGuire has some talent, but I don’t know if we’ve seen enough of Cannon to say that the former is a superior talent. Cannon did look good in preseason, but yes that was preseason.

McGuire has some talent, but I don’t know if we’ve seen enough of Cannon to say that the former is a superior talent. Cannon did look good in preseason, but yes that was preseason.
Seems like McGuire would get first shot.  That does not mean that he will be given the only shot though if he underperforms. 

I like McGuire as well....  replaced Ajayi from my IR slot to hold him.  Been struggling with RB2 since Ajayi went down.... R Freeman/Barber/R Jones/McCoy platoon...

While I think it is extremely premature to compare him to LT, he does have some of the same hip-wiggle.  As a small school 2017 rookie pick (6th round Louisiana Lafayette?), he had some learning to do.  Maybe this injury was positive  in allowing him to learn the playbook and responsibilities.  

He is a nice pass catching RB (avg 30 rec/yr in college).  In my PPR league, he is worth the stash.  

Sleeper Pick

Users who are viewing this thread