What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Doyle #4 PPR TE going forward. Why? (1 Viewer)

ostrich

Footballguy
I have Jimmy Graham and Doyle's available on the WW so it stood out to me that Graham is 9 vs Doyle 4 in the top 200.  Gap is closer in standard scoring but I'm still curious as to why Doyle is the next guy after the big 3 when he's available in some leagues.  Granted, I can't say I've seen much of the Colts but nothing about his numbers this year or last year (with Luck) stand out to me as to why.  Would like to know so I can grab him if there's a good reason to.

Okay but point is Doyle isnt' near 4th in targets this year or last.  Where is this belief that things will suddenly change coming from?

I would say after Kelce Gronk and ertz no other tight end has been valuable this year. If you factor luck coming back in a few weeks Doyle may have the best situation ROS. Not saying I completely agree, but that’s the only line of thinking that makes sense to me

I thought I read he may be in concussion protocol? You may check that too. Thought he was injured late in the game.

Was wondering the same thing. Seems odd to me. I know TEs are all over the place after Gronk, Kelce, and Ertz. But I'm not sure Doyle has shown enough to be thought of as a Top 5 TE going forward.

I wish their was any type of explaining on the Top200 forward.

Kamara is RB9 - 12 in most of my leagues.

Yes the waiver wire report says 50+ plus and he's a good #2 RB

I wish their was any type of explaining on the Top200 forward.

Kamara is RB9 - 12 in most of my leagues.

Yes the waiver wire report says 50+ plus and he's a good #2 RB
FootballGuys isn't a single unified voice.  It's a collection of individuals with differing opinions, and naturally sometimes those opinions vary.

One guy does the Top 200 and views Kamara one way.  Somebody else does the waiver report and views Kamara another way... apparently less enthusiastically.

I can see it. Doyle was splitting with Allen and Swoope last year but still managed 59/584/5 (TE12). They traded Allen to NE and then Swoope got injured. Doyle should be in for a heavy workload and Luck is returning soon. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for weeks 5 and 6, but I could see him as TE4 from week 7 forward.

I mean, the real question is: who do you like better at TE4?

davearm said:
FootballGuys isn't a single unified voice.  It's a collection of individuals with differing opinions, and naturally sometimes those opinions vary.

One guy does the Top 200 and views Kamara one way.  Somebody else does the waiver report and views Kamara another way... apparently less enthusiastically.
I'm aware how it works but the main projections of the site are Dodds/Henry/Tremblay - RB9 -  I like the varying opinions.  I just which there was words to back up anything.

Yes, exactly.  In leagues where I don't have a preseason top 5-type, I waited and took Clay or Engram.  It just struck me as odd, that's all.  At least those guys have shown something this season with Clay being Taylor's main target and Engram being 2nd most targeted guy (and increasing), and athletic ability to always create mismatches.  I saw one set of goal line downs on Red Zone where it seemed like Brissett looked for Doyle specifically twice and ended up with nothing, but that's all I could surmise.  Maybe with Luck returning (who really knows when and how he'll be) and no Dorsett, Doyle becomes a major factor in the pass game, but I just figured I was missing something obvious.

TE15, out this week, most dropped TE in FF this week. Maybe it gets better for him but no way do I believe he’s TE4 RoS.

Yeah, I was definitely betting the under on seeing Doyle at #4.

Given the crapshoot that is the TE position this year and the uncertainty about Luck, 7 sounds much better but is he getting the targets to even justify that? 

In a league where I’ve been trotting out Rudolph the Purple Disappearing TE-deer, hard to know if guys like Doyle provide any more reliable upside/floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doyle was 11th in targets through first 4 weeks, and was on a horribly dysfunctional offense for the first 2.5 games. Brissett is playing fairly solidly, and in weeks 2-4 Doyle had 7,5,8 targets, was 10th in yards and ranked t8th in receptions. He's ranked 27th in ppg in my 0.5 PPR league, but just one touchdown would have him ranked 12th. He's not sexy, but he's solid, and if the Colts can even be an average scoring offense, Doyle seems likely to slot into the 5-8 range for a scoring TE.

Doyle was 11th in targets through first 4 weeks, and was on a horribly dysfunctional offense for the first 2.5 games. Brissett is playing fairly solidly, and in weeks 2-4 Doyle had 7,5,8 targets, was 10th in yards and ranked t8th in receptions. He's ranked 27th in ppg in my 0.5 PPR league, but just one touchdown would have him ranked 12th. He's not sexy, but he's solid, and if the Colts can even be an average scoring offense, Doyle seems likely to slot into the 5-8 range for a scoring TE.
Great post, thanks.

I guess the problem I have is that while there is solid potential, variance is still wide, and hard to tell if Doyle provides better long term value than Rudolph or [insert other TE you are frustrated with here].

Although I suppose that’s always the case with TEs not named Gronk or Kelce or Olsen.

Just seemed to be more defined tiers in years past by this time in the season.

Great post, thanks.

I guess the problem I have is that while there is solid potential, variance is still wide, and hard to tell if Doyle provides better long term value than Rudolph or [insert other TE you are frustrated with here].

Although I suppose that’s always the case with TEs not named Gronk or Kelce or Olsen.

Just seemed to be more defined tiers in years past by this time in the season.
In my league, there are 21 TEs with between 5 and 8 PPG. There are 9 TE at over 8 ppg. I dropped Doyle because of his concussion, but I'm looking at picking up Doyle, Kittle or Kroft to cover my week 8 bye... The grouping is so tight, I think any of those three could move into top 10 for rest of season PPG

In my league, there are 21 TEs with between 5 and 8 PPG. There are 9 TE at over 8 ppg. I dropped Doyle because of his concussion, but I'm looking at picking up Doyle, Kittle or Kroft to cover my week 8 bye... The grouping is so tight, I think any of those three could move into top 10 for rest of season PPG
Doyle I can buy moving into the top 10.

Kittle and Kroft look like great bye week coverage options, but can’t see them moving into Top 10.

But stranger things have happened.

It's funny that he's ranked so high ROS, but it seems like every week, no one ranks him even in the top 12.

I like the odds. If not him, who else?
Since this thread was started he dropped to #7 & the new Top 200 Going Forward just hit the streets - and Doyle is now #12. Charles Clay (torn meniscus) isn’t even practicing & he’s listed as TE13. The latter makes no sense given we don’t know when he’ll return, but the former is spot on IMO..

I’m gonna stand pat with ASJ (#14 on today’s list.) Over the last 3 weeks he’s TE4 on a PPG basis in full PPR. For the season, in PPG ranks it’s Doyle TE12, Clay TE8, and ASJ is TE6

I like the odds. If not him, who else?
Evan Engram?

Currently TE #5 in PPR leagues.

Jack Doyle just had his best game of the season last night. He played on 100% of their offensive snaps, had 11 targets, 7 receptions 50 yards and a TD

He had more snaps and targets than any other Colts receiver.

Even so he is only TE 15 in PPR leagues right now.

Evan Engram?

Jack Doyle just had his best game of the season last night. He played on 100% of their offensive snaps, had 11 targets, 7 receptions 50 yards and a TD

He also had quite a few drops. Not raining on a parade, just adding info.

He also had quite a few drops. Not raining on a parade, just adding info.
I've owned him for 2 years and haven't noticed the drops/fumbles as a problem until last night.  So I see this as a glass half full thing....He was in on 100% of snaps, had the most targets and receptions, was #5 TE for the week and that was WITH a bunch of uncharacteristic drops and a fumble lost!

I've owned him for 2 years and haven't noticed the drops/fumbles as a problem until last night.  So I see this as a glass half full thing....He was in on 100% of snaps, had the most targets and receptions, was #5 TE for the week and that was WITH a bunch of uncharacteristic drops and a fumble lost!
Had same problem a couple weeks ago 

Evan Engram?

I certainly like Engram's chances too, maybe even more so. As far as stats go though, he's logged one more game than Doyle, who was out week 5. I'm not ready to count Doyle out of the running yet.

I certainly like Engram's chances too, maybe even more so. As far as stats go though, he's logged one more game than Doyle, who was out week 5. I'm not ready to count Doyle out of the running yet.
He did miss a game, but Engram had zero in one game already too, although he did have 4 targets in that game. Both still have byes ahead.

Currently Cameron Brate is ahead of both and is TE 4 right now, even though he has had his bye already. What could hurt his numbers later on in the season is if they start using Howard more as a receiver.

As long as Doyle continues to be used as much as he is, he should be in the top 12 I think.

How much separation there is in terms of points or points per game between TE 4 and TE 12 may or may not be that much. Most years there is a top two or top 3 at TE who score a lot more than the TE 4-15 who by the end of the season all have similar numbers.

The question for this year is if that will be different or not. I don't expect Doyle to be part of that top tier of TE even if that tier is a bit deeper this year than usual.

TE15, out this week, most dropped TE in FF this week. Maybe it gets better for him but no way do I believe he’s TE4 RoS.
Well I blew that one.

:lol:

I just wanted to acknowledge this was a great call by FBGs staff. While a few supported it back in early October, this was largely panned when it came out.

Nice work, @Sigmund Bloom @David Dodds @Maurile Tremblay

Now....ASJ or Witten?

:cry:

(kidding...Olsen will be back in two weeks, I’ll survive)

I’m a recent Doyle owner after trading for him. Haven’t watched too much of him. Seems to get the targets. Is he dependent on game script?

Any expectations for what looks to be a heavily favored Pittsburgh team?

anyone rolling out doyle tonight?  Denver's defense seems to have returned to elite status with talib back, but theoretically you should be able to attack them up the seams. 

I'm between doyle and oj howard

Briefly debated him over Engram, whose matchup this week scares me, but I don't have any great confidence in Colts offense this week.

I would say he's in the TE middle-class mix. Normally, he'd be slightly above that, but the matchup drags him down a notch.

I don’t have a choice. He’s my only TE and there’s nothing with anywhere close to his upside on the wire.  In all honesty? I consider myself very lucky to have this guy with the way tight end has been this year :shrug:

I would say he's in the TE middle-class mix. Normally, he'd be slightly above that, but the matchup drags him down a notch.
Why?  Even when the Broncs looked like world beaters on D early on, they were still plenty vulnerable against TE's.  He's the only real pass catching option they're going to have, and for him, the matchup is a plus.

I don’t have a choice. He’s my only TE and there’s nothing with anywhere close to his upside on the wire.  In all honesty? I consider myself very lucky to have this guy with the way tight end has been this year :shrug:
My thoughts exactly, on my 0.5 PPR league he is the #8 TE on the year, and he missed a few games to boot.  Starting him with relative confidence tonight, Brissett check down to Doyle all night long.

Users who are viewing this thread