What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin, Texas (1 Viewer)

Jules Winnfield

Footballguy
A buddy of mine is going to be in Austin, Texas next week and needs good barbecue recommendations, other good restaurant recommendations, and he's a big coffee drinker and doesn't like to drink corporate coffee. 

This is the only place I would go for a recommendation so what have you got? 

Thank you very much!

Franklin, Stiles Switch, or Salt Lick for BBQ.

Draught House for beer (not Drafthouse) or any local brewery.

Food trucks for everything else.

For coffee I don't touch the stuff, but most of my coffee friends love Summer Moon, but there are only two, one in north Austin near the Domain, one in south Austin on South Congress.

Salt Lick is a haul though.
There is also one more central now in Round Rock near the Baseball Diamond.  I haven't tried it because Salt Lick isn't really my favorite BBQ and I won't bother with it unless I'm heading out with my cooler of beer for the whole driftwood experience.

big red X
I think they are very good for a small chain. But we have lots more special in and around town. I like Ruby's a lot, right off the drag. I also like the beef ribs at  Black's, anywhere in Lockett or luling. One of the only places I'd definitely say no to is Bill Miller's.

Threadgills on Baron Creek or Lamar has lots of good vegetables and home cooking, I particularly like their oysters and livers., Amaya's best crispy tacos in the world, world class sushi at Uchi, burgers at hopdaddys, Cajun at Evangeline's, breakfast at Trudy's. Steak at Austin land and cattle (ALC), seafood at perlas. Pizza and pastrami at Pielicious. Indian at Asiana

The best barbecue places - with Franklin shut down - are La Barbecue, Mickelthwait, Stiles Switch, Freedmans, and, if they want fancy sit down barbecue - Lamberts. They are all very good.

The problem is La B and Mickelthwait are going to have long lines. I always highly suggest Stiles Switch - its just a notch below Franklin with at most a 10 minute wait. (And its right next door to the Yellow Rose).

As for other restaurants - HIGHLY recommend reservations. 

• Sushi - Uchi and Uchiko - some of the best sushi I've ever had
  • Red Ash Italia - Italian steakhouse. Really good food and a great scene. 
  • Launderette - Great small plates place but they don't take reservations.
  • Sway - Thai/Asian fusion type place. Also don't take reservations.
  • Trulucks - Texas chain but really good seafood, especially if you want crab.
There're a ton of other places, but those are just some off the top of my head that I really enjoy. If you have any specific requests, let us know.

Black's on Guadalupe is pretty good BBQ, with no line. It isn't as good as Black's in Lockhart, but few places are.

Rudy's is a chain, but that is still some pretty darn good BBQ.

I recently had the best tacos al pastor I have ever had at Licha's Cantina on East 6th.

I second the recommendation of Uchi and Uchiko.

Torchy's is a solid rec. I actually prefer the breakfast tacos at TacoDeli, however.

The best barbecue places - with Franklin shut down - are La Barbecue, Mickelthwait, Stiles Switch, Freedmans, and, if they want fancy sit down barbecue - Lamberts. They are all very good.

The problem is La B and Mickelthwait are going to have long lines. I always highly suggest Stiles Switch - its just a notch below Franklin with at most a 10 minute wait. (And its right next door to the Yellow Rose).

As for other restaurants - HIGHLY recommend reservations. 

• Sushi - Uchi and Uchiko - some of the best sushi I've ever had
  • Red Ash Italia - Italian steakhouse. Really good food and a great scene. 
  • Launderette - Great small plates place but they don't take reservations.
  • Sway - Thai/Asian fusion type place. Also don't take reservations.
  • Trulucks - Texas chain but really good seafood, especially if you want crab.
There're a ton of other places, but those are just some off the top of my head that I really enjoy. If you have any specific requests, let us know.
This guy knows stuff.

Throwing in Second Bar + Kitchen for new American downtown.

Halcyon Coffee & Thunderbird Coffee are two of my go-tos.

If he has a car, make the drive out to Louie Mueller in Taylor. It isn't too far and is a true classic.  Brisket is #2 behind Franklin's for me and the beef rib is #1 by a mile.  Good potato salad as well and a legit atmosphere none of the Austin places can touch.

Other than that, cos nails it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt Lick is fun to see but mostly a tourist spot.

La BBQ seems like the clear leader with Franklin dealing with the fire. 

Valentina's Brisket Taco will change your life. Don't miss it. 

Cuvee Coffee is great. Flat Track Coffee was nice.

Lazarus Brewing is fun for Beer, Coffee and Tacos. 

Via 313 Pizza owned by my friends is outstanding. 

Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor is where I fell in love with BBQ. Easily worth the short drive. 

Have fun. 

Users who are viewing this thread