What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

I had so many chances to draft him - but since I didn’t know when Gordon would come back, I just couldn’t do it. 

Gah. Dude can ball. 

Immediately after the draft I kicked myself a little bit. Had the choice between Ekeler and Lindsay and chose Ekeler. 

That pick is feeling pretty good right now. This guy sitting in my flex every week until further notice. He looked electric out there. Pun intended. ⚡️ 

I missed Ekeler by one pick!  Settled for JJ several rounds later </because I know you care about my fantasy team>

I thought they both looked good on Sunday  :shrug:  

This was the best game of the year by Ekeler.  It's fun to think he will continue with monster games but it isn't likely.  Some very poor tackling let to the long TD which isn't likely to happen going forward. 

Jackson also ran really well and isn't going away.  Last year Ekeler was really efficient when Gordon played but wasn't when Gordon missed games.  I think Ekeler will still be a solid start as long as Gordon is gone but I think more of a mid to upper RB2.  Not a top ten RB. 

Justin Jackson had a long TD run called back on a phantom holding call that would have put hm over 100/TD

-Gordon did well 

-Ekeler does well

Jackson can run and find holes 

The OL in San Diego is proving they are a top 5 or better at run blocking. It starts with Mike Pouncey at Center. 

And yes Ekeler is killing it and making the most of his touches. 

I missed Ekeler by one pick!  Settled for JJ several rounds later </because I know you care about my fantasy team>

I thought they both looked good on Sunday  :shrug:  
JJ had like a 50 yd TD maybe even longer called back on a phantom hold that was highlighted on ESPN and discussed. That would have vaulted him over 100/TD, possible that might have cut just a little off Ekeler. 

AE also had a goal line fumble if I recall and JJ had 6.5 yds after contact per attempt, this guy has some nice skills as well. Two talented back ups and a starter demanding $$$, not much leverage for Gordon right now. Is Gordon worth $10M a season? Is that his market value or is it even less than that? he's never been close to say 1,500 yds rushing, he certainly does a lot of damage in the combination of rush/rec, some of that is coaching. How does San Diego keep finding all these RBs? They've always had outstanding RBs...Muncie, Means, LT, Gary Anderson, they just always seem to have guys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What are people doing with ekeler long term on the season?  Are you acquiring Gordon in case he comes back to hedge?  Are you trading ekeler high thinking you will eventually lose your rb1?

What are people doing with ekeler long term on the season?  Are you acquiring Gordon in case he comes back to hedge?  Are you trading ekeler high thinking you will eventually lose your rb1?
Right now I'm just riding it out. I really don't know what to do. I have Ekeler in one league by don't have Gordon. I have Gordon in one league with no Ekeler. The one I have Ekeler he's in my flex spot so it's a bonus to have RB1 there. Maybe I'll take it while I can.

JJ had like a 50 yd TD maybe even longer called back on a phantom hold that was highlighted on ESPN and discussed. That would have vaulted him over 100/TD, possible that might have cut just a little off Ekeler. 

AE also had a goal line fumble if I recall and JJ had 6.5 yds after contact per attempt, this guy has some nice skills as well. Two talented back ups and a starter demanding $$$, not much leverage for Gordon right now. Is Gordon worth $10M a season? Is that his market value or is it even less than that? he's never been close to say 1,500 yds rushing, he certainly does a lot of damage in the combination of rush/rec, some of that is coaching. How does San Diego keep finding all these RBs? They've always had outstanding RBs...Muncie, Means, LT, Gary Anderson, they just always seem to have guys. 
They had Michael Turner on their bench for 4 years too.

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
Right now I'm just riding it out. I really don't know what to do. I have Ekeler in one league by don't have Gordon. I have Gordon in one league with no Ekeler. The one I have Ekeler he's in my flex spot so it's a bonus to have RB1 there. Maybe I'll take it while I can.
Thats kind of where i am.  But, i would hate to get to the playoffs and lose him/his production if gordon comes back.  its only week 2 so we have time.  But im trying to get ahead of it because the closer to gordon coming back the harder it might be to acquire him. 

PinkydaPimp said:
Right now, enjoying the ride with no Gordon on one team, and might do that indefinitely, regardless of the potential return of Gordon. My hope is that we have the next legit (not cheap version) of Ingram/Kamara, but it all depends on if Ekeler can keep it up. If he can, probably looking at a 50/50 timeshare, which would make things very interesting. Overall, why totally punish a player if they have been producing/helping the team win? That being said, IF the price is right in a trade offer, I will trade Ekeler away.

I’ve tried to trade Ekeler away but haven’t had much luck. Granted I probably price him high. He’s the number 1 scoring running back right now. I want at least a WR1 for him. 

I know I won’t get it. So I will ride him in my flex spot happily until things change and then worry about my flex at that point. That’s the beauty of where most of us drafted him in redraft. For me he was my RB lotto ticket bench flyer that hit immediately because gordon remains out. Let it ride.

PinkydaPimp said:
Riding it out. I've secured Justin Jackson as well.

I don't expect any fantasy football impact at all from Gordon before Week 13 (if then). I definitely don't think it's a given Gordon is just installed ahead of Jackson, let alone Ekeler. Most of my leagues are bestball so if the Gordon owner wants to keep getting 0's for Gordon all year, feel free. Rosters aren't big enough to make it worthwhile to hold for 12 weeks.

As Ekeler owners, I would be more concerned about having another RB on your roster that can fill in without taking a huge hit in production, whether you acquire that RB through a trade or waivers. If you drafted Ekeler late, you might have a good replacement on your bench already. It would be sad to see Gordon eat into his touches since he’s been a fantasy stud and should continue to be so for several weeks. 

Austin Ekeler rushed nine times for 36 yards in the Chargers' Week 3 loss to the Texans, adding seven receptions for 45 additional yards.

Ekeler continues to rack up receptions while mostly splitting work on the ground with Justin Jackson. He possesses one of the league’s more fantasy-friendly roles thanks to a receiving workload that has resulted in at least six receptions in every game this season. Ekeler didn’t have a ton of room to get going on the ground this week, but things should be a bit more clear in Week 4 against the Dolphins’ sad excuse for a defense. Continue to fire him up as a RB1 until Melvin Gordon feels like returning to the field.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:06 PM ET

Have people been buying/selling Ekeler?  Curious to see what kind of value people are getting/giving? I'm being offered low end WR2 value, and feel like I am getting ripped off.

Have people been buying/selling Ekeler?  Curious to see what kind of value people are getting/giving? I'm being offered low end WR2 value, and feel like I am getting ripped off.
I’d think the only real value he’d have is with the Melvin Gordon owner or vice versa and then that WR2 value sounds about right because of the situation. 

Just got to enjoy the ride while it lasts because when Gordon comes back Ekeler is losing a ton of work is the assumption. 

If you're talking dynasty, I bought prior to last weekends games for a 2020 1st, probably mid to low in a 12 team ppr. 

Thankfully have both, as of yesterday. I'm 2-1 and had ekeler and AB (keeper league). Other guy is 0-3 and was holding MGIII and AJ Green. I convinced him he couldn't afford to wait on them any longer, needed to win now, and got both for Philip Lindsay. 

If Gordon is back soon it is the steal of my lifetime. 

I guess that doesn't help you, I'm just excited. 
Trade rape. Hopefully u bought him dinner first

IMO there's a decent chance the player Gordon replaces is Jackson -- with Ekeler keeping his current role.  Especially if the Chargers have decided to move on next year.

IMO there's a decent chance the player Gordon replaces is Jackson -- with Ekeler keeping his current role.  Especially if the Chargers have decided to move on next year.
if they decided to move on wouldnt that be more reason to use up gordon now? IMO they will share the load... at least until the next ekeler GL fumble occurs

if they decided to move on wouldnt that be more reason to use up gordon now? IMO they will share the load... at least until the next ekeler GL fumble occurs
If Gordon plays as well as he did in the first 12 games last season, they will definitely use him plenty. But I don't see him getting 19 touches per game again if Ekeler remains healthy. Ekeler has been too good. I mean, it's only 3 games, but Ekeler has been the best receiving RB in the league so far.

The Chargers are trying to win, and they need their best playmakers making plays to do that. That means Ekeler should continue getting 10+ touches per game, while Gordon works his way up to 10-15 touches per game.

Just sold him this morning - Ekeler (my RB3 and Flex),  along with Hilton and Chark (my WR6)

for Davante Adams, David Montgomery, and Dede Westbrook.

It's a PPR - Start 2WR,2RB,TE,2FLEX -  Main lineup is CMC, Fournette, Adams, K. Allen, Boyd, MVS  - with Montgomery, Golden Tate, Dede Westbrook on the bench.

Jackson looks just as good as Ekeler to me, keep in mind that he's already had a nice a TD or 2 called back by penalty as well.

The Chargers should trade Gordon to a NFC team and just roll with these 2, they both look fantastic. 

Just sold him this morning - Ekeler (my RB3 and Flex),  along with Hilton and Chark (my WR6)

for Davante Adams, David Montgomery, and Dede Westbrook.

It's a PPR - Start 2WR,2RB,TE,2FLEX -  Main lineup is CMC, Fournette, Adams, K. Allen, Boyd, MVS  - with Montgomery, Golden Tate, Dede Westbrook on the bench.
Oh brother - not sure what that other guys is thinking.

Jackson looks just as good as Ekeler to me, keep in mind that he's already had a nice a TD or 2 called back by penalty as well.
Jackson is not just as good. He looks great in the running game, but he has underperformed in the passing game, while Ekeler has been the best RB in the league this year in that phase. Jackson also struggles in pass protection, whereas Ekeler is at least serviceable there.

Jackson is not just as good. He looks great in the running game, but he has underperformed in the passing game, while Ekeler has been the best RB in the league this year in that phase. Jackson also struggles in pass protection, whereas Ekeler is at least serviceable there.
Yeah, I should have clarified and said "as a runner". He has a really nice combination of speed/vision/moves. I'm sure his pass blocking will get better with experience. 

The Chargers should trade Gordon to a NFC team and just roll with these 2, they both look fantastic. 
I wouldn't totally rule out Gordon still being dealt. By reporting to the Chargers, he's showing that he's willing to finish out this season without a new contract. That leap of faith, could (re)ignite trade talks.

He was a solid flex option last year splitting with Gordon so not sure why people think he’s gonna disappear. Sure he will be more inconsistent but he’s still gonna be used in the passing game atleast. And Gordon does like to tweak his ankle or knee so he may still be very valuable this year

Traded him about a half an hour before the news that Gordon is reporting for Robert Woods. Am I going to hell?
For Woods no.  Ekeler won’t disappear his numbers just take a hit and it’s not like Woods is that great.  Now the guy getting Odell for him....

Gotta ride him out another week.  He should have a huge week this week.  Was hoping the ride would last a little longer though.

Users who are viewing this thread