What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

Austin Ekeler rushed eight times for 101 yards in the Chargers' Week 14 win over the Jaguars, adding four receptions for 112 additional yards and a touchdown.

Ekeler was brilliant for the entire afternoon, ripping off 27, 23 and 35 yard runs on his first three carries before later taking a screen 84 yards to the house after lining up out wide. The Chargers’ talented "backup" RB earned most of his yards thanks to elite elusiveness and tackle-breaking ability. Melvin Gordon’s presence obviously hurts the ceiling here, but Ekeler is one of the league’s most-efficient RBs that has proved capable of still providing RB2 production on a limited workload. Treat him as such in Week 15 when the Chargers take on the Vikings in Los Angeles.

Dec 8, 2019, 7:18 PM ET

It's weird how little respect he gets.  He's the overall RB3 after Week 14.  His career rushing average is over 4.5, his receiving ypc is over 10.  He scores TDs.  He's amazing in the passing game.  He's tough to tackle and has breakaway speed.  He's 24 years old.  But in the November DLF dynasty ADP data he was RB23.

It's weird how little respect he gets.  He's the overall RB3 after Week 14.  His career rushing average is over 4.5, his receiving ypc is over 10.  He scores TDs.  He's amazing in the passing game.  He's tough to tackle and has breakaway speed.  He's 24 years old.  But in the November DLF dynasty ADP data he was RB23.
I'm in non ppr and he is still top 5. 

If Gordon leaves, he has to be revalued as a top 10 asset, right?
He is a RFA and Gordon is a UFA. I think they should let Gordon walk, keep Ekeler, and use him and Justin Jackson in committee approach. In that scenario, Ekeler should get at least as many snaps and touches as he is getting with Gordon, probably more.

Of course, Rivers is a UFA and could retire. A new QB could change things. And Lynn seems somewhat infatuated with Gordon, so it wouldn't be shocking to see him re-signed, especially if his holdout and play this year has brought his expectation for new contract down closer to reality.

He is a RFA and Gordon is a UFA. I think they should let Gordon walk, keep Ekeler, and use him and Justin Jackson in committee approach. In that scenario, Ekeler should get at least as many snaps and touches as he is getting with Gordon, probably more.

Of course, Rivers is a UFA and could retire. A new QB could change things. And Lynn seems somewhat infatuated with Gordon, so it wouldn't be shocking to see him re-signed, especially if his holdout and play this year has brought his expectation for new contract down closer to reality.
I don't doubt the talent of Ekeler, but a new QB seems like it could change things.  Rivers is so immobile that the check-down seems to come quicker for him than other QBs.

Not really all checkdowns.  He lines up all over and goes everywhere.

he scored a wheel route, a wr screen and a drag route that I saw.

i think he’s better with Gordon.  Let’s them be very creative 

I never thought he could carry the load as 1A, and haven't really been definitively proven wrong given the debate still rages and Gordon is really 1A, but if the debate is indeed still going, I'd like to cast that vote in a different light at least. 

This guy looks phenomenal with the ball in space. 

From PFF: 

4. On Sunday, Austin Ekeler totaled 101 rushing yards on just eight carries. Through the air, he totaled 112 receiving yards on just four catches (five targets). This was the first time in NFL history a player posted a 100/100 game on fewer than 15 touches.

This was an impressive feat, but not as impressive as this:

Ekeler now leads all running backs in fantasy points per touch (1.44). Remember our stat from our last section? This ranks second-best by any running back in any season all-time (of 900-plus qualifiers), behind only Kamara’s 2017 season (1.59) and just ahead of Marshall Faulk’s 2000 season (1.36).

Ekeler is also averaging 0.54 fantasy points per snap, which leads all running backs and ranks top-10 this past decade. In 2018, Ekeler ranked fourth in both fantasy points per touch (1.18) and fantasy points per snap (0.49).

Among all 107 receivers with at least 50 targets this year, Ekeler ranks second in receiving points per target (2.46), behind only A.J. Brown. That’s quite easily the most by any running back in any season in NFL history.

Among all running backs, Ekeler ranks third in PFF grade, after ranking sixth-best in 2018. Melvin Gordon ranks 32nd, after ranking eighth in 2018.

I’m not here to argue that Los Angeles should be starting Ekeler over Gordon, though I do think that’s the case. I’m here to remind you Gordon probably won’t be playing for Los Angeles next year. And, before Gordon returned in Week 5, Ekeler averaged 26.8 fantasy points per game, which would rank tied with Lamar Jackson for second-most among all players.

By dynasty ADP, he ranks just 26th among running backs. Ekeler’s talent, efficiency, and upside are all well established. He’s only 24 years old. And, the incumbent starter is due to hit free agency. In other words, his dynasty ADP is very dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought he could carry the load as 1A, and haven't really been definitively proven wrong given the debate still rages and Gordon is really 1A, but if the debate is indeed still going, I'd like to cast that vote in a different light at least. 

This guy looks phenomenal with the ball in space. 

From PFF: 

4. On Sunday, Austin Ekeler totaled 101 rushing yards on just eight carries. Through the air, he totaled 112 receiving yards on just four catches (five targets). This was the first time in NFL history a player posted a 100/100 game on fewer than 15 touches.

This was an impressive feat, but not as impressive as this:

Ekeler now leads all running backs in fantasy points per touch (1.44). Remember our stat from our last section? This ranks second-best by any running back in any season all-time (of 900-plus qualifiers), behind only Kamara’s 2017 season (1.59) and just ahead of Marshall Faulk’s 2000 season (1.36).

Ekeler is also averaging 0.54 fantasy points per snap, which leads all running backs and ranks top-10 this past decade. In 2018, Ekeler ranked fourth in both fantasy points per touch (1.18) and fantasy points per snap (0.49).

Among all 107 receivers with at least 50 targets this year, Ekeler ranks second in receiving points per target (2.46), behind only A.J. Brown. That’s quite easily the most by any running back in any season in NFL history.

Among all running backs, Ekeler ranks third in PFF grade, after ranking sixth-best in 2018. Melvin Gordon ranks 32nd, after ranking eighth in 2018.

I’m not here to argue that Los Angeles should be starting Ekeler over Gordon, though I do think that’s the case. I’m here to remind you Gordon probably won’t be playing for Los Angeles next year. And, before Gordon returned in Week 5, Ekeler averaged 26.8 fantasy points per game, which would rank tied with Lamar Jackson for second-most among all players.

By dynasty ADP, he ranks just 26th among running backs. Ekeler’s talent, efficiency, and upside are all well established. He’s only 24 years old. And, the incumbent starter is due to hit free agency. In other words, his dynasty ADP is very dumb.
Good stuff. Not a 1-season wonder as you point out. Rivers should be there next year, which helps. But some regression to the mean is likely in 2020. In my non-dynasty, I anticipate top 10 next year.

On a nice run right now. Hoping he doesn't hit a bump in the road. He's due unfortunately.

That said, I get the feel that Ekeler and the offense keep rolling. They're out of it, but seem to be in a groove. MN much tougher against the run, but not sure how they do against receiving backs. Way to beat MN is through the air for sure so Rivers could keep rolling (and MG could get stuffed).

kyoun1e said:
On a nice run right now. Hoping he doesn't hit a bump in the road. He's due unfortunately.

That said, I get the feel that Ekeler and the offense keep rolling. They're out of it, but seem to be in a groove. MN much tougher against the run, but not sure how they do against receiving backs. Way to beat MN is through the air for sure so Rivers could keep rolling (and MG could get stuffed).
I've been waiting for the bump in the road all year. Fantasy playoffs seem like a good time for it to pop up.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
I saw his December ADP at DLF last night (#26/#74) and had to resist Tweeting how dumb it was.  Glad PFF did the heavy lifting.
That 26 is one of the dumbest numbers I've seen this year.

I am considering Mostert over Eckler this weekend.   Eckler has been a beast , very difficult to sit but like others think he’s due for a pedestrian game non ppr

I'm going to try very hard this week to trade Ekeler to some fool. This is the 2nd week in a row where a late TD saved his day.

He's just not getting the touches, Gordon is, and the LAC season is going down the tubes.

Don't love the playoff matchups either.
Did you find a fool to take Ekeler ?

I remember that one game he had where he scored like 5 PPR points and after that game a certain Sirius XM host that will remain unnamed came on the Monday show boasting how "he called it" and that if you didn't trade Ekeler on the high you really screwed up because if you wan to keep starting him he said he hoped you would continue to enjoy your 6 PPR days for the rest of the year.

Interesting though I haven't heard him say anything about Ekeler lately at all.

Knock on wood that Ekeler continues to have 2 more good weeks though.  As always I am nervous every week with Gordon there.

Austin Ekeler rushed seven times for 19 yards and caught 5-of-7 targets for 62 yards in the Chargers' Week 15 loss to the Vikings.

It's a far cry from his mammoth Week 14, but it was still a useful PPR performance from Ekeler. He's been a constant all season for this offense and should handle 12-15 touches again next week against the Raiders. He scored a touchdown against Oakland back in Week 10 and will be an RB2 for the fantasy finals.

Did you find a fool to take Ekeler ?

I remember that one game he had where he scored like 5 PPR points and after that game a certain Sirius XM host that will remain unnamed came on the Monday show boasting how "he called it" and that if you didn't trade Ekeler on the high you really screwed up because if you wan to keep starting him he said he hoped you would continue to enjoy your 6 PPR days for the rest of the year.

Interesting though I haven't heard him say anything about Ekeler lately at all.
I didn't. And glad I didn't.

Hoping he can get it done in week 16. Good matchup although OAK D is so poor I could see that being a MG game. Regardless, he'll be in my starting lineup.

He's been a clear RB1 in my 0.5PPR league. Rolling him out with confidence in my championship game next week. I still with that Lynn would design more formations using him and Gordon at the same time. Makes it very difficult for defenses to key on either one.

Austin Ekeler rushed four times for 11 yards and caught 5-of-6 targets for 58 yards in the Chargers' Week 16 loss to the Raiders.

Ekeler was out-carried 9-4 by Melvin Gordon (9-15-2) and out-targeted 7-6 by his backfield mate. The Chargers could barely move the ball against the Raiders Sunday, lucking into a second touchdown due to Mike Williams drawing a couple DPI calls down the field. Ekeler will wrap up the season next week against the Chiefs.

If he didn't eliminate you in the semis with 8 he definitely did in the ship with 7. 😂
Wrong. I had him on 3 teams in the championship game in week 16 and won 2 championships.

More importantly, your post is telling. You cannot admit that you were wrong about him, but instead come to troll this thread after one of his few low output games. The fact is that you posted "it's over" after week 10, and Ekeler was RB11 in PPR from weeks 11-16. You were as wrong as wrong can be. But keep hiding behind your troll/tool behavior. It keeps reminding the rest of us to ignore your posts.

ETA: you say he eliminated people in week 16. How do you feel about these RBs, in no particular order?

1. Dalvin Cook
  2. Derrick Henry
  3. Joe Mixon
  4. Chris Carson
  5. Rashad Penny
  6. Nick Chubb
  7. Kareem Hunt
  8. Josh Jacobs
  9. James Conner
  10. Jaylen Samuels
  11. David Montgomery
  12. Jordan Howard
  13. James White
  14. Devin Singletary
  15. Kerryon Johnson
  16. Frank Gore
  17. David Johnson
  18. Tevin Coleman
  19. Derrius Guice
  20. Lesean McCoy
  21. Damien Williams
Many of them were drafted before Ekeler. All of them were outperformed by Ekeler in week 16. Are you claiming that all of their owners were also eliminated by virtue of rostering them? No, probably not, because that would be a stupid stance. Kind of like your stance on Ekeler.

Wrong. I had him on 3 teams in the championship game in week 16 and won 2 championships.

More importantly, your post is telling. You cannot admit that you were wrong about him, but instead come to troll this thread after one of his few low output games. The fact is that you posted "it's over" after week 10, and Ekeler was RB11 in PPR from weeks 11-16. You were as wrong as wrong can be. But keep hiding behind your troll/tool behavior. It keeps reminding the rest of us to ignore your posts.

ETA: you say he eliminated people in week 16. How do you feel about these RBs, in no particular order?

1. Dalvin Cook
  2. Derrick Henry
  3. Joe Mixon
  4. Chris Carson
  5. Rashad Penny
  6. Nick Chubb
  7. Kareem Hunt
  8. Josh Jacobs
  9. James Conner
  10. Jaylen Samuels
  11. David Montgomery
  12. Jordan Howard
  13. James White
  14. Devin Singletary
  15. Kerryon Johnson
  16. Frank Gore
  17. David Johnson
  18. Tevin Coleman
  19. Derrius Guice
  20. Lesean McCoy
  21. Damien Williams
Many of them were drafted before Ekeler. All of them were outperformed by Ekeler in week 16. Are you claiming that all of their owners were also eliminated by virtue of rostering them? No, probably not, because that would be a stupid stance. Kind of like your stance on Ekeler.
I mean if you can't admit he had bad games in the two most important weeks of the season there is no arguing with you.

I mean if you can't admit he had bad games in the two most important weeks of the season there is no arguing with you.
He was RB1 in week 14, a playoff week for many leagues. He was RB24 in weeks 15 and 16. Those are not bad games, especially in light of all the other RBs I listed who were worse in week 16, the championship week for many leagues.

You are the one who can't admit. You were wrong, and seem intent on doubling down on that instead of admitting it.

Those low output, decent yardage, and PPR numbers aren't numbers that will sink a team by virtue of having him as RB2. Having Will Fuller in your lineup in Wk. 16 along with Boone? That'll do it. Going against Saquon Barkley in Wks 15 and 16? Oof. That'll do it, too.

Ekeler was a low-end RB2 the past two weeks. I don't understand tears of laughter or joy, and especially don't get the circumspect motivation to be coming back to cash in on an "I told you so..."

Weak sauce. 

Loved owning him this year :thumbup:   Loved the weekly winning upside and the consistency he brought in our PPR format. (Only 1 single digit performance all fantasy season)

RB4 overall in our PPR league and RB7 overall even after Gordon's return. :thumbup:

He was RB1 in week 14, a playoff week for many leagues. He was RB24 in weeks 15 and 16. Those are not bad games, especially in light of all the other RBs I listed who were worse in week 16, the championship week for many leagues.

You are the one who can't admit. You were wrong, and seem intent on doubling down on that instead of admitting it.
There was literally like 7 total rbs on that list that were even startable due to injuries and depth chart so I'm not sure how your list is relevant.

There was literally like 7 total rbs on that list that were even startable due to injuries and depth chart so I'm not sure how your list is relevant.
A bit more than 7, but even that would be roughly a quarter of the league.  Very relevant list.  Ekeler was a huge surprise this year. 

A bit more than 7, but even that would be roughly a quarter of the league.  Very relevant list.  Ekeler was a huge surprise this year. 
Actually, I listed 21 names. 7 of them did not play in week 16 due to injury (Cook, Henry, Penny, Jacobs, Howard, Guice, McCoy). Of the other 14, just 1 (Damien Williams) outscored Ekeler.

And those 7 who didn't play are relevant names, because some of them (Cook, Henry, Jacobs) were likely instrumental in their fantasy teams making it to the championship game in week 16, but then didn't play in that game, hurting their owners. Which is where this silly tangent started, with @Weebs210 trying to justify his stupid Ekeler bashing by claiming that Ekeler screwed his owners in the fantasy playoffs. Like most of his posts in this thread, that was clearly off base.

Looking into 2020, with Gordon probably leaving via UFA, what are the thoughts about Ekeler’s role (assuming he’s retained as a RFA) - broader role as a featured back, RBBC with Justin Jackson, RBBC with a rookie or cheaper FA signing?

Looking into 2020, with Gordon probably leaving via UFA, what are the thoughts about Ekeler’s role (assuming he’s retained as a RFA) - broader role as a featured back, RBBC with Justin Jackson, RBBC with a rookie or cheaper FA signing?
First off, the QB situation could have a big impact, and it is hard to know right now if Rivers will retire or will be signed to a new contract. Rivers returning would be better for Ekeler IMO.

Aside from that, I expect the team to let Gordon walk, re-sign Ekeler, and add a 3rd RB, likely through a 2nd or 3rd day draft pick. The end result depends on how talented the rookie is. If he can force himself into the mix, it could be a messy committee, though Ekeler would still presumably own the passing downs and 2/4 minute offense reps. If not, probably a 60/40 scenario with Ekeler in the lead role. I would say his floor is his performance in 2018 (RB25 in PPR) and his ceiling is a repeat of 2019 (currently RB4 in PPR).

Lot of uncertainty at this point. All that said, Ekeler is clearly a hold right now IMO. 

First off, the QB situation could have a big impact, and it is hard to know right now if Rivers will retire or will be signed to a new contract. Rivers returning would be better for Ekeler IMO.

Aside from that, I expect the team to let Gordon walk, re-sign Ekeler, and add a 3rd RB, likely through a 2nd or 3rd day draft pick. The end result depends on how talented the rookie is. If he can force himself into the mix, it could be a messy committee, though Ekeler would still presumably own the passing downs and 2/4 minute offense reps. If not, probably a 60/40 scenario with Ekeler in the lead role. I would say his floor is his performance in 2018 (RB25 in PPR) and his ceiling is a repeat of 2019 (currently RB4 in PPR).

Lot of uncertainty at this point. All that said, Ekeler is clearly a hold right now IMO. 
Thanks for the insight. Do you think Justin Jackson has a role, or team brass has soured on him?

Thanks for the insight. Do you think Justin Jackson has a role, or team brass has soured on him?
Yes, Jackson will definitely have a role if healthy.

I don’t know of any reason the team would have soured on him. He is a bit redundant with Gordon. Some might argue he should have played ahead of Gordon after his holdout, but Jackson wasn’t healthy.

I think he will be #2 behind Ekeler, whether it is a 2 RB committee or a 3 RB committee. Not sure that will be terribly valuable for fantasy, but at worst he should be a solid handcuff. 

Actually, I listed 21 names. 7 of them did not play in week 16 due to injury (Cook, Henry, Penny, Jacobs, Howard, Guice, McCoy). Of the other 14, just 1 (Damien Williams) outscored Ekeler.

And those 7 who didn't play are relevant names, because some of them (Cook, Henry, Jacobs) were likely instrumental in their fantasy teams making it to the championship game in week 16, but then didn't play in that game, hurting their owners. Which is where this silly tangent started, with @Weebs210 trying to justify his stupid Ekeler bashing by claiming that Ekeler screwed his owners in the fantasy playoffs. Like most of his posts in this thread, that was clearly off base.
If RB 32 is good in the championship game in your opinion then clearly im off base. 

TheWinz said:
Ekeler had 224 touches last year.  Would close to 300 be too much for him?
I don't think it would be, though that would be with the caveat that 100 catches should be included. How much of his passing game work was Lynn, and how much was Rivers is the question I have with Ekeler.

I don't think it would be, though that would be with the caveat that 100 catches should be included. How much of his passing game work was Lynn, and how much was Rivers is the question I have with Ekeler.
Ekeler is obviously very talented and will remain a primary target for the Chargers, assuming he is back (he is an RFA). However, if Tyrod Taylor starts all next season, I think the Chargers pass attempts will be down considerably, and I think there is very little chance Ekeler comes close to his 2019 receiving numbers.

Thus, I think there is similarly very little chance he gets 300 touches. I think he could handle it, but I don't think the target volume will remain the same, and I expect he will share the rushing workload with Justin Jackson and whoever else the Chargers draft or sign.

I suspect 2019 will turn out to be Ekeler's career year. I like him, so would love him to prove me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread