What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Excessive Force? (1 Viewer)

Excessive Force?

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
This story is all over NYC news, it's infuriating. 

Basically it shows an officer punching a 16 year old and it was justified imo. 

Before watching the video, quick background:

Kid was caught on surveillance camera a month ago trying to rob someone with a box cutter

Kid was arrested for pulling a knife and robbing a taxi driver a month ago

Kid tried to rob someone else at knife point recently.

This incident:

He was spotted trying to steal a bike, cops were flagged down and spotted him, he tackled an officer and put his hands around his neck, than resists and gets what he was coming. 

So go ahead lunatics, defend the "kid"/criminal. 

Even the headlines are typical anti-cop rhetoric - http://nypost.com/2017/10/07/nypd-cop-pummels-teen-in-disturbing-video/

Just because the kid has a nasty history, doesn't justify excessive force in a separate instance.  Are those trying to hold back the officer's punches facing obstruction charges?

When the post calls it as a cop pummeling a teen, I am not sure I need history lessons or a video as they are the most pro police papers out there.

Looks like he is hitting him to get him off the other officer that he was on top of and kinda choking.

It's not excessive unless it becomes unnecessary.  That did not appear to be unnecessary at that time. 

Just because the kid has a nasty history, doesn't justify excessive force in a separate instance.  Are those trying to hold back the officer's punches facing obstruction charges?
Agree that previous offenses dont justify what happens in a new instance. So lets say none of that happened.

Tackling another officer and putting his hands around his neck is 100% worthy of getting whatever is necessary until he gets off.  

Damn, those cops are bad at their job.  How do you let a 16 yo get on top of you and choke you?  Weak AF.  Surely the cop that punched the kid could find something more effective than some ####ty rabbit punches.  These guys need to be fired, not because of police brutality, but because they suck at their jobs and are weaksauce.

They don't seem good at their job or are lacking a taser or mace.
Because the officer underneath has eyes and that a taser hit could easily conduct to him? 

Kid is very lucky he didn't end up shot.   Assaulting the po-po is a really bad idea.   They went pretty easy on him. 

Damn, those cops are bad at their job.  How do you let a 16 yo get on top of you and choke you?  Weak AF.  Surely the cop that punched the kid could find something more effective than some ####ty rabbit punches.  These guys need to be fired, not because of police brutality, but because they suck at their jobs and are weaksauce.
Stinkiest bait I've seen in quite awhile 

You attack a police officer and you get what's coming to you.

Though it did look like he got in quite a few extra punches after the kid had finally given up (even one of the other officers was trying to pull him off and telling him to stop while he was still wailing away) but the dumb kid mostly did it to himself.

So, the guy on the bottom was a cop being choked by this kid who is resisting arrest.  Is that correct?

ETA:  I'd say the only part "excessive" was once the female cop showed up and told the guy on top to chill the #### out.  The two or three swings after that, I'd label excessive....otherwise the kid had what was coming to him and it doesn't matter what's happened prior to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, any time an adult punches a 16 year old kid it is perfectly fine. if the kid was 12 or 13 it would have been even better

Yeah - the key difference here versus some of these other incidents is he's on top of another cop and trying to do harm - hard to feel any sympathy for somebody who does that and the cops don't know what the kid is capable of doing.  Agree with Commish thst the last couple of punches were borderline excessive but I'm willing to give this officer the benefit of the doubt unless there's more to the story or he has a history.

lol, you guys are insane. good luck in any court of law being over 18 and punching a minor. i know there is a political forum now, can't most of you guys go hang over there?

i know 13-14 year olds that are capable of beating older people, so does it make it right for an adult to strike a minor? i live in a city where things like this happen all the time. Go ask any cop who deals with this regularly, they will say no you can't punch the kid, but #### happens

lol, you guys are insane. good luck in any court of law being over 18 and punching a minor. i know there is a political forum now, can't most of you guys go hang over there?

i know 13-14 year olds that are capable of beating older people, so does it make it right for an adult to strike a minor? i live in a city where things like this happen all the time. Go ask any cop who deals with this regularly, they will say no you can't punch the kid, but #### happens
I have no problem with the cop hitting him especially since his partner was being attacked, but at about the 15 second mark when he's basically just laying there, it quickly becomes excessive.  I'm not sure what the suspect was supposed to do with a 250lb+ monster of a man laying on top of him.   I wouldn't be surprised if he was unconscious at some point.   You can cause some serious long term damage hitting someone in the back of the head like that.   

I won't say it's excessive but I'm pretty sure the fight would have been called had it been in the UFC ring much sooner than it was here.

I have no problem with the cop hitting him especially since his partner was being attacked, but at about the 15 second mark when he's basically just laying there, it quickly becomes excessive.  I'm not sure what the suspect was supposed to do with a 250lb+ monster of a man laying on top of him.   I wouldn't be surprised if he was unconscious at some point.   You can cause some serious long term damage hitting someone in the back of the head like that.   
I agree.

Tackling a cop is a good way to get yourself some long term damage

Someone should've punched that woman who was yelling. 

If you attack a cop, you should consider yourself lucky if all you get is a beating. 

Up until the kid was restrained and the cop on top of him was aware of it, no issue whatsoever. Once that was the case, he may have cost himself his job. 

When another officer is in imminent danger it is

Up until the kid was restrained and the cop on top of him was aware of it, no issue whatsoever. Once that was the case, he may have cost himself his job. 
I couldn't tell the policeman on top did anything -- except maybe apply his bodyweight -- once the cuffs were on. He wasn't raining down blows anymore at that point, was he?

I just watched the video myself ... looks like everything happens before the cuffs are placed.

Put his hands behind his back?  That would have been a good start.  The sooner he got himself off the cop he was assaulting/trying to murder the sooner the incapacitating blows would stop.

So put yourself there - your wife/brother is underneath a guy choking her.  What do you do?  

I couldn't tell the policeman on top did anything -- except maybe apply his bodyweight -- once the cuffs were on. He wasn't raining down blows anymore at that point, was he?

I just watched the video myself ... looks like everything happens before the cuffs are placed.
A bystander has the kid's right arm held for some time while the left is trying to cover his face.  Given that it's not a cop holding him, officer may be okay with all the shots he rains down on him. Another officer has hold of the kid's right arm at 1:25.  His left is covering his face to not get hit again. 

Couple of punches after that moment may cost the guy his job. 

Maybe he could've just put his hands behind his back :shrug:  he refused to do so for the entire video. 

Or here is a wild thought, don't assault cops. 
If you don't like opinions don't ask for them.  Looked excessive to me, given I don't know how the kid got to be lucky Pierre.  

Used to be, you assaulted a cop and you were definitely gonna “fall” a bunch of times getting in the back of the cruiser. On a gut level, i never really had a problem with that because a fat thumb on the scales of justice sorta levelled the playing field. People knew not to attack cops, unless they wanted a true beatdown. And cops have a tough job- everyone they encounter is a possible lethal threat, and once you’re in the middle of a confrontation, adrenalin makes you single-minded.

i don’t think those old days are going to play anymore with cameras all over the place. This video looks bad, and produces a visceral feeling of excessive force, to me, at least. And i agree with Henry, that the top cop was justified, until the kid was cuffed. It makes me speculate that one of the reasons so many black activist groups and urban people have such ingrained distrust of police is because they’ve witnessed encounters like this fairly frequently. And, even though this kid, given his history, seems to be a pretty bad actor and assaulted a cop by bringing him down and going for his throat, there’s something inherently human in empathizing with someone taking a beatdown. Ubiquitous video is making the world a much more complicated place.

the question becomes what do we do about it now? 

Not excessive. Those punches didn't do any damage. And the age of the criminal is irrelevant.

The screaming banshee needs to be punched as well.

Assault a cop? Get assaulted back. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

Its called the use of force continuum. 

Kid was lucky this is all he got. 

Is it me or does the press always seem to amplify and publicize the cases that are at worst questionable when there are plenty of more blatant cases of police misconduct? It's almost as if they want controversy more than actual justice.

Top cop could have handled it way better. I think he deserves some sort of non legal punishment. 

I dont think this is any kind of gross injustice though. Kid was clearly resisting and pretty late in game gets a shot in on bottom cop. Crowd was intervening and man were there some annoying spectators. Charged situation. 

They should have a law that citizens need to stay at least 20 feet back from an Officer that's handling a situation. Those people are way too close and are interfering with their ability to do their job.

Users who are viewing this thread