What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ben: "Maybe I don't have it anymore." (1 Viewer)

It's rare enough that players with Roethlisberger's elite skills and experience lose their confidence. It's even rarer that they would admit to this. In fact I can't think of another example. I'm really shocked by this. Maybe the guy got the quote wrong? Maybe it was meant to be sarcastic? 

I don't know. But if he meant to say this, the season (and his career) are likely over. 

It's rare enough that players with Roethlisberger's elite skills and experience lose their confidence. It's even rarer that they would admit to this. In fact I can't think of another example. I'm really shocked by this. Maybe the guy got the quote wrong? Maybe it was meant to be sarcastic? 

I don't know. But if he meant to say this, the season (and his career) are likely over. 
He was really thinking about retiring this past off season.  I don't think he really even wants to play anymore

He was really thinking about retiring this past off season.  I don't think he really even wants to play anymore
Seems that way.

Can't go through the motions in football.  Should have retired if he really didn't want to play anymore.  Lot of money to walk away from though.

If he retired before this season I think he had to pay back like 16 million. He's always been a bit of a prima donna in the media IIRC.

Well you know, losing to the Jaguars also forced Dan Marino and Jimmy Johnson into retirement.

Good post and interesting as while I’ve heard QBs blame themselves for being bad that given Sunday and needing to better, I don’t think I’ve heard such defeatist words either.

Has Ben really been that bad through this season?

No, he doesn't have it.

Do you know who does?

Telvin Smith...

Barry Church...

Jalen Ramsey

among others

I just saw the tape of him saying this. He was just acting whiny. Was surrounded by a bunch of reporters and was pissed because he sucked so bad this week. 

No story here at all IMO.

I know right? With the plethora of talented quarterback's that are out there you would think they have a couple of them just sitting behind their starter like every other team has.

:mellow:  
Yep. Kind of hard to get upset here when you see elite guys like Cassell and mccown playing.

I think he was just venting and taking out of his #### after a brutal loss. Jags defense is legitimate. Bad day for Ben. There will be good days this year too. Don’t they get CLE 2x? 

I just saw the tape of him saying this. He was just acting whiny. Was surrounded by a bunch of reporters and was pissed because he sucked so bad this week. 

This.  I think his play has clearly dropped off, but this is just Roethsliberger being his usual drama queen self. 

Once I actually saw this (instead of read it), I thought this too.

But I'm struck by how one-dimensional the PIT offense is.  43% of BB passing yards to AB.

Once I actually saw this (instead of read it), I thought this too.

But I'm struck by how one-dimensional the PIT offense is.  43% of BB passing yards to AB.
Yep, it is ridiculous.  What is even more ridiculous is going into yesterday's game The Jags were ranked #1 defense against the pass and #32 vs the run.  Now I know you have to take the rankings with a grain of salt but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that you shouldn't have Ben throw 55 times and only run Bell 15 against that defense.  It is beyond stupid.

The o-line is playing like dogmeat, Ben is completely out-of-sync with his receivers and you have a horrible game plan from Haley.   This week they play the Chiefs at home and it is going to be ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's been spooked by the overwhelming CTE evidence that has come out over the past year or two. I'm sure other players are too. You can't play the game with fear, and having your brain turned into Jello is certainly something to fear.

He mentions CTE in this pre-season interview:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/07/28/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-rumors-steelers-training-camp-2017-latrobe/stories/201707280132
I agree that CTE has been on his mind but looking at his play this year it does not appear to me like he has happy feet or his head is on a swivel.   And up until yesterday he was okay. Not great but not horrible either.  Yesterday was really bad although a couple of the picks were tipped and you have to give credit to the Jags defense -- they were great. 

I agree that CTE has been on his mind but looking at his play this year it does not appear to me like he has happy feet or his head is on a swivel.   And up until yesterday he was okay. Not great but not horrible either.  Yesterday was really bad although a couple of the picks were tipped and you have to give credit to the Jags defense -- they were great. 
No just no. A guy who rides a chopper and continues to not wear a helmet doesn't give a rats #### about CTE.

he's always been a drama queen.

A guy who truly thought he didn't have it anymore would never say "Maybe I don't have it anymore"...

Lots of things going on with the Steelers.  Seems like Tomlin has lost control of the team ,Ben is losing interest.  Might be a good time for both to depart.  It is amazing at how the anthem is actually ripping apart and dividing teams now with the Steelers being one of them.

A guy who truly thought he didn't have it anymore would never say "Maybe I don't have it anymore"...
Right. That guy would say "I definitely don't have it anymore."

But a guy who is doubting himself and thinking that maybe he doesn't have it anymore would probably say "Maybe I don't have it anymore."

And a guy who does have it, and knows he has it, but doesn't really want it anymore would say "I'm retiring."

Lots of things going on with the Steelers.  Seems like Tomlin has lost control of the team ,Ben is losing interest.  Might be a good time for both to depart.  It is amazing at how the anthem is actually ripping apart and dividing teams now with the Steelers being one of them.
I don't think it helped but no one has really been talking about since they beat Baltimore a couple weeks ago.  I think it is as simple as the offense (line, Ben, Bell, play calling, etc) is just not playing well.

Right. That guy would say "I definitely don't have it anymore."

But a guy who is doubting himself and thinking that maybe he doesn't have it anymore would probably say "Maybe I don't have it anymore."

And a guy who does have it, and knows he has it, but doesn't really want it anymore would say "I'm retiring."
It's not the kind of thing you say in front of a mic / media scrum if you actually think it might be true.

It seemed as if he was overly trying to force the ball to Antonio Brown this week following the drama that ensued the previous week.   Obviously Brown is elite and possibly the best in the league, but it seemed overkill.  

Users who are viewing this thread