What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray-Ray (1 Viewer)

LittlePhatty

Footballguy
Armstrong has put up LB1 numbers while filling in for the injured Reuben Foster. But Foster may come back Week 6. What does SF do with Ray-Ray then, and does it mean fantasy owners should throw him back to the waiver wire?

Unfortunately, as a Reuben owner, he cannot be counted upon for a full injury free season at this point. Hang onto Ray Ray

I think Foster will be fine as long as they don't rush him back. And I believe I read somewhere that RRA doesn't grade out very well as a LB, so he probably finds himself on the bench once Foster is back. If he's on the bench, I don't think you can hold him hoping for another Foster injury...unless you have ample bench space. 

First of all, I wouldn't go putting too much stock in PFF's positional grades. They don't translate into real life playing time or on field production. You don't have to go any further than last years 49er LB shuffle and the Chip Kelly regime inexplicably playing Nick Bellore over Gerald Hodges all season once Bowman went down. I don't think Bellore's PFF grade ever approached my shoe size. That said, I got some good production out of him while he lasted.

Anyway, just read that Foster is back at practice today - hellelujah! 

WOO-FREAKING-HOO!!!! Been holding him because I believe he has elite potential, but the number of LBs I'm carrying is bloated because of him and Humber. Foster being healthy enough to play would be a huge boon, if for no other reason than it would free a roster spot, lol. 

Legalize Stickum said:
 They don't translate into real life playing time or on field production.
While I agree with this -- their rankings have merit. Their attempt is in-depth and worthy of being used and considered.

Legalize Stickum said:
First of all, I wouldn't go putting too much stock in PFF's positional grades. They don't translate into real life playing time or on field production. You don't have to go any further than last years 49er LB shuffle and the Chip Kelly regime inexplicably playing Nick Bellore over Gerald Hodges all season once Bowman went down. I don't think Bellore's PFF grade ever approached my shoe size. That said, I got some good production out of him while he lasted.

They are definitely relevant when used correctly.  If the guy is too bad, he'll get replaced.  And for dynasty purposes it's extremely important to make sure you're not trading a future 1st for a guy that's averaging 15.4 PPG now but will be a backup in Detroit the following year.

My brother was asking about the Ray Ray and Foster situation the other day and I said to him that really the best scenario would be for Bowman to be the odd man out...

Niners looking to trade Navorro Bowman

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers are shopping ILB Navorro Bowman.

Bowman wasn't pleased about playing fewer snaps than usual in last week's loss to the Colts and could be on his way out in San Francisco. Per Schefter, a number of teams have already showed interest in Bowman, who has been with the Niners since 2010. The trade deadline is October 31 at 4 PM ET.

so with Foster coming back, RAy-Ray will lose snaps (and potentially tackles).  Is he a solid start this weekend or not?

so with Foster coming back, RAy-Ray will lose snaps (and potentially tackles).  Is he a solid start this weekend or not?
He's not solid until more is known about Bowman.  Even if it is good news for Ray-Ray then he still has to beat Foster and Tartt to the ball.  I don't feel great about it, but I moved on where I could.

They are definitely relevant when used correctly.  If the guy is too bad, he'll get replaced.  And for dynasty purposes it's extremely important to make sure you're not trading a future 1st for a guy that's averaging 15.4 PPG now but will be a backup in Detroit the following year.
Or to make sure a former stud like Navarro Bowman doesn't get released and you get caught with your PANTS AROUND YOUR ANKLES WITH NO BACKUP PLAN GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol.   Paul Worrilow is the perfect example for the point you were trying to make  :lmao:

Surprised to see Bowman released but

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Bowman's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, sent a letter to all 31 teams saying he had permission to seek a trade. Nothing materialized, leading to Bowman's release

Croyle played some last week, few tackles and a sack maybe? They need 3 starters. Croyle is actually listed as the only MLB on the team at the moment. (Roto)

I grabbed him and dropped a CB since LBers are way better even a sucky one in a good spot. I figured a one week hold won’t kill me. 

Per 49ers.com:

"Reuben Foster will now play MIKE linebacker full time. The first-round pick had been playing at WILL linebacker since training camp following the injury to Malcolm Smith. Foster started Week 1 at Bowman's side and played 11 snaps before going down with a high-ankle sprain. The injury sidelined Foster for the past four weeks.

As Foster neared full strength, it became a topic of conversation where he would be reinserted back into the lineup. Now that Bowman has been released, we have our answer. Foster will transition back to MIKE linebacker immediately. Kyle Shanahan noted that’s Foster’s natural position. Ray-Ray Armstrong will remain at WILL linebacker."

The article suggests Coyle will still be involved at MIKE until Foster gets up to speed, but it looks like Ray-Ray will be a factor the rest of the way assuming Foster doesn't hoover all of the tackle opportunities.

So Eric Reid logged 48 snaps at OLB, largely at the expense of Ray-Ray, this past Sunday according to sources. I know Ray-Ray had a bum shoulder going in, but this looks like a concern for Ray-Ray owners at this point. At the same time, it could be a boon for Reid owners. I suppose it's possible they were "showcasing" Reid in an effort to trade him before the deadline as his days are numbered in SF with Tartt taking over at SS, but it's something to keep an eye on. 

So Eric Reid logged 48 snaps at OLB, largely at the expense of Ray-Ray, this past Sunday according to sources. I know Ray-Ray had a bum shoulder going in, but this looks like a concern for Ray-Ray owners at this point. At the same time, it could be a boon for Reid owners. I suppose it's possible they were "showcasing" Reid in an effort to trade him before the deadline as his days are numbered in SF with Tartt taking over at SS, but it's something to keep an eye on. 
Thanks for the Reid info.  I'm needing a DB this week while Byard is on bye and was thinking about picking Reid back up.  I dropped him earlier in the year when he got hurt.  Curious your thoughts on his snap counts going forward?

He's on our wire too. If I had the space, I'd pick him up. But I don't know that I'd play him this week. I need to see more. He's still playing part-time, in a position he's never played and, in the end, the experiment in week 7 didn't go very well considering the Cowboys hung 265 rushing yards on them with 8/61 coming from Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith (that's the only Rod Smith I've ever heard of...). At least their run defense was respectable before that fiasco. And I thought Ray-Ray was playing pretty well. Not sure why it was he that ceded time.

With that said, Ryan Sitzmann, the IDP Guru recommends picking him up and says the following:

"S Eric Reid (SF) - Reid is another player I was extremely high on heading into the season but injuries have unfortunately derailed him so far in 2017. However, he was back on the field finally last week and surprisingly saw snaps at linebacker for the 49ers (he played 68% of the snaps in total). He has the size and strength to play the position and if Reuben Foster were to miss any time, Reid could see his snap counts significantly increase at the position relative to last week. If you have a deep bench, Reid makes for a nice speculative add as he could pay huge dividends down the stretch for teams."

And then there's this: https://247sports.com/Bolt/San-Francisco-49ers-coach-Kyle-Shanahan-Eric-Reid-LB-shift-about-109370386

If there are more reliable bye week fill-ins on your wire, meaning their role is actually defined and they're on the field more than 68% of the time, I'd go with them this week. But I'd still try to find a spot for Reid. And if you grab him and you're more of a risk taker, the Eagles are a great match up for LBs. Just ask Zach Brown - the guy killed me last night.

Reid has always been a tease who never fulfills his purported fantasy potential. I'm not buying until I see it happen. 

He's a must own and start in any league that starts two safeties. 100% ILB snaps as a safety? #cheatcode

The 49ers are converting S Eric Reid to linebacker.

Reid has played 58 snaps at weak-side linebacker over the past two weeks, starting Week 7. Reid began the year as an every-down player at strong safety before injuring his knee. He missed Weeks 3-5. Jaquiski Tartt won Reid's job while he was sidelined. "This is my contract year, so when they broke the news to me, I wondered what the reasoning was to make the move," Reid said. "Right now I just trust the film I have at safety is good enough to enter free agency with, and now I’ll get some film at linebacker, as well." Reid said he's been given no assurances for 2018 by the 49ers. 

Yes, ILB, he'll be 100% player next to Foster with Ray Ray returning to the bench for as long as the 3 safeties stay healthy 

Last edited by a moderator:
I say ILB, I guess WLB would be proper, but he's not OLB, think of Reid as the 2015 Mark Barron next to Foster as the Ogletree...

Is he safe to start immediately? Will the snap numbers be there? 

I start 3 DB in my tackle heavy league and due to BYEs, am currently preparing to start Mal Butler and Terrance Mitchell. Would much prefer to start Reid. 

Undefeated on the season and want to keep it that way.. A rare feat.. 

I picked him up just in case. We start 4 DB, and I have Byard on a bye this week. I still don't trust him because his fantasy production has never lived up to his fantasy hype. He outsnapped Armstrong last week at WLB, and Armstrong still produced more tackles. So I'm buying a share to see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Start Reid with confidence and bench ray ray (unless foster is inactive), I'll put whatever(not much) I have of a reputation on it. There's only about 5 safeties and 2 corners I'd start over Reid this week. Those corners are probably on your ww as well. Shareece Wright(filling in for Gaines oppo white and guarding crabs or cooper) and whomever draws the start oppo heargraves in Tampa (no Grimes or McClain). Those 2 should get picked on at will. You can rarely go wrong with Mitchell, but I prefer all 3 I mentioned over Malcolm Butler.

I like the call Robar!  Hope you are right as I'm subbing Reid in for Karl Joseph (he is doubtful)

Here to eat crow...though I will say if I would have known trae Elston was starting instead of shareece Wright, I would have pumped him...and if ward wouldn't have gotten hurt and Reid wouldn't have been shifted to FS I think things are different but at the end of the day I was wrong

I read they played Coyle on the weak side with Foster back in the middle. Don't know if it will stick, but they're running out of safties so at least Reid should be out of the LB shuffle.

Sunday -

foster MLB 100%

coyle wlb 90%

Reid FS until Tartt injury then SS played 100%

Colbert FS 70%

harold SLB 50%

Ray Ray 2 snaps. I see it staying like that.

foster mlb, coyle wlb, Harold SLB, Reid ss, Colbert FS 

I just read the snap counts and what a disappointment.  I wish I would have known Humber was active (damn working late Thursday) and had no other choices but to roll with Ray-Ray due to bye's.  Story of my season. 

Giants signed Ray Ray. Keep an eye on him this weekend. He's currently slotted in behind Casillas, but they are woefully thin at LB and may plug him in. If he shows well, he may be of some help in the FF playoffs. If that defense wasn't already on the field enough, it's about to get worse now that the keys to offense have been handed to Geno.

Users who are viewing this thread