What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Football Jones

Footballguy
This guy intrigues me quite a bit. He reminds me a lot of Jamaal Charles. Very loose hips & outstanding speed.

The problem is I've seen him listed anywhere from 180 to 200. 6'0 200 with his attributes wouldn't be bad at all.

I haven't yet scouted him in detail, though. Anyone else have an opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, seeing your link earlier reminded me I was very impressed the few times I've seen him.

Wondering how RoJo fits into the 2018 RB class.

Football Jones said:
Yeah, seeing your link earlier reminded me I was very impressed the few times I've seen him.

IMHO Top 5 depends on who declares and who return to school. He himself may not declare this year we see it year in and year out.

Tex

IMHO Top 5 depends on who declares and who return to school. He himself may not declare this year we see it year in and year out.

Tex
That top 5 is already loaded too, there are some big-time candidates: Ballage, Barkley, Chubb, Freeman, Guice, Damien Harris, Bryce Love, Scarborough, Wadley - and we aren't even in the late season/breakout discussions yet.  Miles Gaskin, Sony Michel, Kamryn Pettway, LJ Scott, Mike Webber,   Who knew who Kareem Hunt was 12 months ago today?

That top 5 is already loaded too, there are some big-time candidates: Ballage, Barkley, Chubb, Freeman, Guice, Damien Harris, Bryce Love, Scarborough, Wadley - and we aren't even in the late season/breakout discussions yet.  Miles Gaskin, Sony Michel, Kamryn Pettway, LJ Scott, Mike Webber,   Who knew who Kareem Hunt was 12 months ago today?
There were a few people pimping Hunt but I get what you’re saying. I’ve said it a number of times, pileup on 2018 picks it’s going to be another great year especially for RBs. Hell 2018 has the potential to be better than 2017 at every position except TE but if Mark was in the 2017 class he’d probably be in the running as the top pick at that position.

I already have Barkley and Guice along with three 1st and three 2nd round picks. I’m currently trying to trade Cooper for a 2018 1st.

Tex

Football Jones said:

He might be a good pro someday but he doesn't deserve a nickname yet..

USC junior RB Ronald Jones II ran for 216 yards on 18 carries in a 48-17 thrashing of Arizona State on Saturday.

Jones II (6'0/200) has had a run of stinkers followed by big games, so after running for just 32 years in the blowout loss to Notre Dame, it's no surprise to see the speedy junior have a huge game against the Sun Devils. There aren't many tailbacks faster in the open field, and he showed as much on two 60 yard touchdown runs; a 67-yarder in the second and a 64-yard burst in the third. It wasn't just a case of two big carries leading to a big total either, as he showed his speed and vision throughout the game, or at least until he was pulled with the game in hand. Jones and the USC offense have a huge matchup next week that could determine the Pac-12 South division against Arizona.

Oct 29 - 2:25 AM

USC junior RB Ronald Jones II ran for 194 yards and three touchdowns on 27 carries in a 49-35 victory over Arizona on Saturday.

He also caught three passes for 39 yards. With all due respect to Sam Darnold -- who played terrific tonight -- Jones (6'0/200) is the key to the USC offense, and is why the Trojans have looked so much better with the ball the last two weeks. He's not only one of the fastest backs in the country, he has quality vision, and he's a competent receiver out of the backfield. Two of his scores were from one yards out, but they were both set up by long runs before he finished them off. Jones and the USC offense take on a downtrodden Colorado defense next week.

USC junior RB Ronald Jones II had 104 of his 142 yards after contact and caused 12 missed tackles on Saturday against Colorado.

Jones has been a key part of USC's resurgence over the past few weeks, and while Colorado's run defense is a shell of what it was last year, these are still very impressive numbers. He doesn't have an elite build, but with his second gear and shiftiness, he sure looks the part of an NFL running back. The big question is if he's going to enter the draft, because if he were to wait until 2019, he might be the top RB prospect in the class.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

USC junior RB Ronald Jones II scored twice and ran for 122 yards on 28 carries in a 28-23 victory over UCLA on Saturday.

He also added a 22-yard catch. Jones II (6'0/200) didn't have the monster game many expected going up against the porous UCLA run defense, but it was certainly a solid effort from the junior tailback. It's now three of four games that Jones II has scored multiple touchdowns, and he's now up to 16 on the season. With all due respect to Sam Darnold and the slew of talented wide receivers, Jones II is the key cog in the USC offense. They get a bye before playing in the Pac-12 championship game in two weeks.

USC junior RB Ronald Jones II rushed for 140 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries in Friday's 31-28 Pac-12 Championship Game win over Stanford.

Jones (6'0/200) notched a one-yard touchdown run in the closing minutes of the third quarter to give USC a 24-14 advantage. Stanford would rally back to within three points, only for Jones again to burn them on a race-to-turn-the-corner touchdown of eight yards with just over four minutes remaining in the game. That put USC up 31-21 and while Stanford did find the end zone again, they ultimately ran out of possessions as the Trojans came away with the close victory. For the campaign as a whole, Jones has rushed for 1,486 yards and 18 touchdowns. He's developed into the dynamic workhorse that he's always shown signs he could be.

Dec 1 - 11:47 PM

USC junior RB Ronald Jones II rushed for 64 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries in Friday's 24-7 loss to Ohio State in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic.

Jones (6'0/200) scored on a one-yard run with about two minutes remaining in the first half to draw the Trojans to within 24-7. Neither team would score after halftime. The electric junior ends the season having rushed for 1,550 yards and 19 touchdowns. In terms of a potential draft jump, while he is not the best of blockers, Jones brings an elite speed element to the table and an underrated strength component to boot. Draft Analyst assigns him a second-round grade.

Dec 30 - 12:50 AM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hears from "multiple sources" that USC junior RB Ronald Jones II will enter the 2018 NFL Draft.

Pauline writes that Jones will begin training for the NFL Combine in the coming days. The 6-foot, 200-pounder is one of our favorites beyond the obvious like Saquon Barkley. He's deceptively strong and a true breakaway threat -- three of Jones' runs this season went for more than 50 yards. The junior rushed for 1,550 yards (5.9 YPC) and 19 touchdowns for the 2017 campaign. Draft Analyst hits up Jones with a second-round grade.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Jan 2 - 9:24 PM

From August 31 last year:

Sources Tell Us: Inside scoop on top NFL draft prospects

The scoop: While LSU's Derrius Guice and Penn State's Saquon Barkley are getting almost all of the attention from the national media at the running back position, USC's Ronald Jones IIhas quietly created his share of buzz. He has the attention of scouts.

The skinny: Guice and Barkley are obviously the headliners of the 2017 college football season at the running back spot, and rightfully so. However, in the shadow of quarterback Sam Darnold's big first season, Jones was outstanding. He rushed for 1082 yards, averaging 6.5 yards per carry, and finished with 13 total touchdowns. Jones isn't as big or strong as the aforementioned runners, but he has outstanding vision, feet and burst. He's in the same class as Barkley when it comes to elusiveness.

Starting to like this guy more and more, he's an interesting watch to me because of his unique frame.  At least in my memory there's only 2 RB's with success like that.  Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson (unless I'm missing more?).  He passes the eye test for sure and I think he'll test pretty well athletically.  Late 1st type of prospect?  I can see people rank him anywhere as high as RB2 of 2018 and probably as low as RB6 which isn't bad considering how good these guys seem to be for this class.  

top 4 over who?

Im struggling right now... there's so may guys w immense talent lumped so clsoe together, I think the only separation will be landing spot/opportunity.

I dunno if I can put him above either of chubb, harris. I can put him ahead of Love (Im falling out of love w him), and not even sure Id put him above Penny, but maybe?

Interesting that Daniel Jeremiah currently has Jones as his twelfth overall draft prospect, and #2 overall at the RB position:

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Ronald Jones II, RB, USC

Jones is one of the most explosive players in the draft. He's similar to Jamaal Charles in size and style. On inside runs, he's very aggressive in attacking the line of scrimmage and can avoid defenders in tight quarters. He has tackle-breaking power as a result of his lower-leg drive and he mixes in a violent stiff arm. He has a good feel for the cutback lane and displays exceptional lateral burst. On outside runs, he easily gets to the perimeter and is elusive in space. Once he gets a step, Jones has elite breakaway speed. He has improved as both a receiver and blocker. He fought the ball as a sophomore, but was more comfortable as a pass-catcher this fall. He is aware in pass pro, but still gets caught on his heels at times. Overall, Jones is a threat to score every time he touches the ball and I love his toughness and upside in the passing game.

Interesting that Daniel Jeremiah currently has Jones as his twelfth overall draft prospect, and #2 overall at the RB position:

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

Excerpt:
Yes it is interesting. I mentioned in this thread I had him as my #3RB, just a hair above Michel, so not surprised in the sense I was high on him but I'm mildly surprised  he is listed over Guice and more surprised as high as player 12.

He's definitely not #2 on my board. But im having trouble deciding if I love or hate him. Truly. 
He is #3 on my board and I referenced earlier he leads a tier of 3 RB's who make up tier 3 and the other two are Michel and Kerryon.  These guys are all close enough that I won't spend to much time with them right now, combine might offers some separation but if not the NFL draft likely will. All I can say is I know a lot of people like Chubb/Penny but I got a big drop off after this third tier.

He’s easily my #3 overall player right now with a chance to pass Guice depending on landing spots.  His size would have been an issue to me 5 years ago but I think NFL teams have evolved to better use a guy like this.  He is an electric playmaker

I remain intrigued, but not sure what to make of him yet. I want to see his Combine & the rest of the data.

Jones is kind of a hard read for me right now.

He's definitely not #2 on my board. But im having trouble deciding if I love or hate him. Truly. 

Man, ppl love this cat. 

What am I missing? Darnold soured me on USC this season haha
He's my #2 at this moment  :shrug: .  Still tier2 but he leads that group from a talent perspective for me based purely on watching clips of his games.  Not sure what you're missing but I see every possible trait when I look at him, besides the ideal size.  That can be corrected if he weighs in higher than expected and whatnot at the combine, but there are RB's with success at his current listed size so it doesn't concern me that much.  

Users who are viewing this thread