What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

It’s written for Barber. He’s earned the job & Ronald Jones has falllen flat on his face. 
I own Barber and think Jones looks like a bum. But even I know this story is just beginning. Let's see how things shake out after the real games start. Koetter doesn't sound like a feature back guy, and this team is going to be playing from behind a lot.

so I get that Ronald Jones is struggling, but according to twitter the offensive line is getting destroyed tonight. Haven't seen the game so take that for what its worth.

I own Barber and think Jones looks like a bum. But even I know this story is just beginning. Let's see how things shake out after the real games start. Koetter doesn't sound like a feature back guy, and this team is going to be playing from behind a lot.
Even if he’s not a feature back guy he doesn’t have a choice. Jones hasn’t shown ability all preseason, while Simms got released with a settlement & Jones has been hot garbage.

just because a coach doesn’t want to use a featur back, doesn’t mean he’s gonna run hit a dude averaging .5 YPC. 

Barber is looking like the steal of a lot of drafts right now. 

We need to look at the bright side.  RJII only has upside from where he is right now.  Even if he only averages 2 YPC this season it will show progress and give him upside going into next season.

His 37 yard catch shows he's got the ability.  We need to focus on that.

28 rushes for 22 yards across 4 games  is barely even a sample size
There's never a firm answer to the question, 'Does preseason matter?'  Always guys that look bad, and then turn it on in Sept, and guys who look good in preseason, and it means nothing in the fall.  

If I get burned by passing on Jones, and he blows up for some other owner, I can live with it.  Because I didn't like his size, combine data, or receiving stats before the draft, and nothing since then has told me I was wrong.  And I was looking.  Practice reports, bad.  Game performance: Comically, historically bad.  

If a Ronald Jones truther sticks to his guns, and gets rewarded, good for him.  I won't have a moment of reflection, trying to figure what I missed, because from what I can see, I'd be drafting him solely based on perceived opportunity. 

Yet it’s snough to be pathetic.  :shrug:
I wouldn't rush to judgement on preseason games.  In the the regular season he could do a complete 360.  If anyone believes in the talent, they must believe he will turn it around.   No way you sling arrows after the preseason, just as you don't give too many hugs and kisses for preseason success (see Rico Gathers).  Of course we live in a microwave instant gratification society and there will be those who jump ship too early.  I'll be waiting longer on Jones and not throw him under the bus after 4 preseason games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't rush to judgement on preseason games.  In the the regular season he could do a complete 360.  If anyone believes in the talent, they must believe he will turn it around.   No way you sling arrows after the preseason, just as you don't give too many hugs and kisses for preseason success (see Rico Gathers).  Of course we live in a microwave instant gratification society and there will be those who jump ship too early.  I'll be waiting longer on Jones and not throw him under the bus after 4 preseason games.
it's not just games though....it's camp, the coach speak, the media following the team.  He's been worse than I could've realistically expected....that being said this is the beginning and not the end of his NFL career but if he's going to have a career he needs to radically improve what he's done to date.  Can he, will he do it is the question?

Banger said:
it's not just games though....it's camp, the coach speak, the media following the team.  He's been worse than I could've realistically expected....that being said this is the beginning and not the end of his NFL career but if he's going to have a career he needs to radically improve what he's done to date.  Can he, will he do it is the question?
I'm willing to wait longer than August 31st. 

Not optimistic at this point but a guy on the red board stated the same thing I was thinking:

When Jones gets the ball all eleven guys seem to swarm on him.  One play that really worked was when they actually faked a hand-off to Jones, and threw a short pass and ouala the guy was wide open!  Shocking.

So if he sucks so bad, why are defenses keying on him?  Answer that please. When Peyton Barber is in there, he’s not always getting the ball.  When Jones is in there there is a 70% chance he’s getting the ball.  Even as a fan watching the game you know that.  Is there any wonder that he doesn’t have any holes to run through?  I’m even thinking maybe he has a tell, like moving some fingers or something.

The answer is to fake a handoff to Jones pretty much every time, or two out of three times at least.  That will draw the attention of a significant portion of the defense and allow for a wide open pass.  If you run once for one yard and fake it to him twice and get 7 yards a pass, that’s 15 yards, an average of 5 yards a play.  That is more than acceptable.  That will work until the defense adjusts, and then maybe Jones will be able to find a hole in the line.  Problem solved.

Owners simply have to wait until the regular season but since his ability to catch is sub par, anytime he's in there it's a blue light special flashing RUN to the defense.

I'm a Jones guy, but I would have jumped on this. Coleman could easily be the next McKinnon. Who knows when you'll get something out of Jones. He might be worth a rookie 2nd next May.
It's a gamble fir sure.  Coleman could stay in a Jonathan Stewart / DeAngelo Williams situation too, so Coleman comes with his own baggage.

https://youtu.be/exKrnKfj6lQ

1. Rock solid blocking there. :bag:
2. 0:05. Looks like he runs the play called with no vision. That should have been bounced outside. But he did fight for good yardage.
3. 0:11. Made 1st guy miss 2-3 yards deep in the backfield, made 2nd guy miss as well.
4. 0:18. OMG. The OL with long hair is gawd awful and that wasn't even the guy who let the blitzer thru. Hit the instant he got the handoff.
5. Just trying to get out of the endzone.
6. 0:29. Another one that should have been bounced outside. Saw one of the later RBs do exactly that when the hole wasn't there.
7. 0:34. Just ran into the pile like he's Lamar Miller and fell down. The run was to the left around the OL. Once again, I think he's just unning what is called.
8. 0:37. Ok run on pitch outside.
9. 0:46. Nothing there as DL had pushed the doofus with long hair, 2 yards back into the backfield. Man, that guy sucks.
10. Fairly good run.

Still when he's in there during the regular season it's flashing RUN until he can pass block and catch.

JohnnyU said:
The dropped passes, the struggles with playbook, and the fact that he averaged less than 1 YPC against non-starters (and often against people who’ll be signed to the practice squad shortly or cut altogether) is not instant gratification or reading too much into the playbook. 

I often say, “preseason is meaningless” for established players. 

For rookies, it’s their chance to earn a job.

Ronald failed to impress anyone with his showing in preseason, and in fact looked lost. 

I didn’t say he would never be an NFL player or that preseason is the end-all-be-all.

im just saying what we have seen from him has been pathetic. He’s failed to impress in any facet of the game. Had Simms not been given a release/settlement, I’m not positive Ronald Jones would make the 53. 

Again - not saying he doesn’t have a future. Maybe you invested in him so you have no choice but to hope for the best. But so far this is the absolute worst case scenario for RJ owners. 

IMO for rookies, the preseason absolutely matters if they’re terrible. And looking at the big picture, there’s simply no other way to describe how RJ has been. 

Not optimistic at this point but a guy on the red board stated the same thing I was thinking:

When Jones gets the ball all eleven guys seem to swarm on him.  One play that really worked was when they actually faked a hand-off to Jones, and threw a short pass and ouala the guy was wide open!  Shocking.

So if he sucks so bad, why are defenses keying on him?  Answer that please. When Peyton Barber is in there, he’s not always getting the ball.  When Jones is in there there is a 70% chance he’s getting the ball.  Even as a fan watching the game you know that.  Is there any wonder that he doesn’t have any holes to run through?  I’m even thinking maybe he has a tell, like moving some fingers or something.

The answer is to fake a handoff to Jones pretty much every time, or two out of three times at least.  That will draw the attention of a significant portion of the defense and allow for a wide open pass.  If you run once for one yard and fake it to him twice and get 7 yards a pass, that’s 15 yards, an average of 5 yards a play.  That is more than acceptable.  That will work until the defense adjusts, and then maybe Jones will be able to find a hole in the line.  Problem solved.

Owners simply have to wait until the regular season but since his ability to catch is sub par, anytime he's in there it's a blue light special flashing RUN to the defense.
His tell is that he’s been a terrible receiver since college. His other tell is that the Bucs don’t trust him in pass protection.  :shrug:

im just saying what we have seen from him has been pathetic. He’s failed to impress in any facet of the game. Had Simms not been given a release/settlement, I’m not positive Ronald Jones would make the 53. 
I would guess that if an evaluator of NFL talent saw these runs and had no idea who it was and when they were drafted, they would choose Dare Ogunbowale and Shaun Wilson over him.

I took a look at Rotoworld & hey look - here’s his coach trying to defend him while hinting that he’s not great: 

Coach Dirk Koetter admitted after Thursday's preseason finale that second-rounder Ronald Jones' preseason "wasn't pretty" but was adamant that Jones knows the playbook.

"I saw it in practice. But we weren’t able to get it going during the game for whatever reason. When his runs came up, we didn’t block them very well, number one, and he wasn’t able to do much with it on his own," Koetter said. "Again, when you have bad running plays, rarely is it one guy’s fault. Sometimes it is, but rarely. It’s a combination of things. I know from Ronald’s standpoint, it’s not at all from lack of effort. I know there’s been a little undercurrent out there about him not knowing the playbook and I want to make sure I’m real clear on that. That is not an issue." Jones finished the summer rushing 28 times for 22 yards. The Bucs are going to need him this year, but Peyton Barber had a big preseason and secured lead duties. Jones is merely a stash in deeper fantasy leagues.

Source: Tampa Bay Times 

Aug 31 -

“Wasn’t pretty” isn’t exactly a glowing endorsement.  

It’s phrased politely, but he’s saying that even with great effort Jones didn’t get it done? 

At least he’s saying he knows the playbook now, so that’s a plus.  

Didn't mention the brutal drops (2 of 3), which is a kindness. 

I dunno - this sounds a lot like a coach trying to put the most positive spin possible on a bad situation with a young player. That he hedged the “isn’t always one guy’s daily” comment with “sometimes it is” made me cringe a little. 

https://youtu.be/exKrnKfj6lQ

1. Rock solid blocking there. :bag:
2. 0:05. Looks like he runs the play called with no vision. That should have been bounced outside. But he did fight for good yardage.
3. 0:11. Made 1st guy miss 2-3 yards deep in the backfield, made 2nd guy miss as well.
4. 0:18. OMG. The OL with long hair is gawd awful and that wasn't even the guy who let the blitzer thru. Hit the instant he got the handoff.
5. Just trying to get out of the endzone.
6. 0:29. Another one that should have been bounced outside. Saw one of the later RBs do exactly that when the hole wasn't there.
7. 0:34. Just ran into the pile like he's Lamar Miller and fell down. The run was to the left around the OL. Once again, I think he's just unning what is called.
8. 0:37. Ok run on pitch outside.
9. 0:46. Nothing there as DL had pushed the doofus with long hair, 2 yards back into the backfield. Man, that guy sucks.
10. Fairly good run.

Still when he's in there during the regular season it's flashing RUN until he can pass block and catch.
I'm not liking his tendency to run right into a pile, except he's at least he's not dancing around though. But I thought he had better vision when watching his college tape.

I'm not liking his tendency to run right into a pile, except he's at least he's not dancing around though. But I thought he had better vision when watching his college tape.
Same here, at least 2~3 of those runs there was a hole outside for a decent gain instead of staying in his pre-assigned lane and running into the pile. His lack of receiving ability means the defense is just stacking the box and the backup o'line really is that bad. Both of is TFL carries he had no chance on and was hit in the backfield as soon as he got the ball. I was impressed he actually held onto the ball when Dante Fowler wrecked him right after the handoff coming thru basically unblocked.

Dropped him for Boston Scott.
I think you may regret that come October. Of course the preseason could have shown us Jones is a complete bust.  But I’m not buying that.  He will get his chances to shine with the 1s over the course of the season and I think he will bust some nice runs and become a hot ww add.  

I think you may regret that come October. Of course the preseason could have shown us Jones is a complete bust.  But I’m not buying that.  He will get his chances to shine with the 1s over the course of the season and I think he will bust some nice runs and become a hot ww add.  
He'll still be there to pick up. If I get him, nice. If not, I'm not losing sleep.

Some guy just took him in the 5th round of a redraft. Don't know if he knows more than me but I think he doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread