Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Football Jones

Ronald Jones, RB, USC

19 minutes ago, mnmplayer said:

He's literally played in one game. He has nobody in front of him. This is different than the Penny situation where they seem to have two guys in front of him and would probably split with CJP if the other two got injured. Its a slow start for sure, but not hopeless (yet). I'd rank him above Penny at this point, barring 3 injures to Seattle RBs not names Penny.

Penny also looks like a possible bust.

Almost all of the rookie Rb panned out last year. That's unusual.

With bye weeks now in full swing and a few of RB1s on bye in NO, I wonder if there are anybody out there willing to start this guy. He out touched Barber and ATL D is getting torched by RBs. I am on the fence with Mike Davis as my other back this week. I feel like Mike is the smart choice with a higher floor, but something tells me this might be Ronald Jones's coming out party this week. Lower floor but higher ceiling in my mind. Bye week and new QB with a running threat could help TB putrid running game. In my situation I start Davis as I am favored to win by 20 points so I cant afford a 1-2 point game, but man I am tempted to start him.

Here are the points scored by RBs vs ATL D this season:

Ajayi 20.20

McCaffrey 24.50

Kamara 29.87

G. Bernard 24.70

Conner 32.00

26.25 average scoring per week. Now most of those guys have proven a lot more than RJ, but I'd be happy with even half of the average RB scoring vs ATL.

1 hour ago, mnmplayer said:

He's literally played in one game. He has nobody in front of him. This is different than the Penny situation where they seem to have two guys in front of him and would probably split with CJP if the other two got injured. Its a slow start for sure, but not hopeless (yet). I'd rank him above Penny at this point, barring 3 injures to Seattle RBs not names Penny.

It has long been said that running back is the easiest translation from college to the pros. 

Bur if a guy can’t pass protect, he’s going to be hard to trust in any sort of role with a pass-heavy team like the Bucs.

and if he can’t make decisive reads, he’s got no business on the field.

Peyton Barber night suck too, but he’s good in pass protection & has been just good enough to be better than Jones. 

Jones might one day be a good NFL RB. I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening this season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tanner9919 said:

worth a shot right? 

Nope. 

5 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

It has long been said that running back is the easiest translation from college to the pros. 

Bur if a guy can’t pass protect, he’s going to be hard to trust in any sort of role with a pass-heavy team like the Bucs.

and if he can’t make decisive reads, he’s got no business on the field.

Peyton Barber night suck too, but he’s good in pass protection & has been just good enough to be better than Jones. 

Jones might one day be a good NFL RB. I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening this season. 

You could be right, but also remember their first 4 games were vs 4 teams where RB scoring is in tough matchups and they even tried to run against CHI. 

CHI Ranked #1 vs RB scoring and is a tough draw for your first game.

PHI #3

PIT #4

NO #8

Those are all red matchups for RBs which would lend itself towards passing the ball. They might not have run because they couldn't run vs those Ds. ATL is not really a team where you would gameplan the same approach and they have had the bye week to prepare. They also have a different QB than than used to open the first 4 games of the season. There is risk that we could see a different type TB gameplan here.

14 minutes ago, mnmplayer said:

They also have a different QB than than used to open the first 4 games of the season. There is risk that we could see a different type TB gameplan here.

This is an excellent point. I haven't watched all of the game footage, but why wouldn't teams play to stop the run and see if Fitzpatrick could beat them? Which he did, but that's beside the point...

5 hours ago, mnmplayer said:

You could be right, but also remember their first 4 games were vs 4 teams where RB scoring is in tough matchups and they even tried to run against CHI. 

CHI Ranked #1 vs RB scoring and is a tough draw for your first game.

PHI #3

PIT #4

NO #8

Those are all red matchups for RBs which would lend itself towards passing the ball. They might not have run because they couldn't run vs those Ds. ATL is not really a team where you would gameplan the same approach and they have had the bye week to prepare. They also have a different QB than than used to open the first 4 games of the season. There is risk that we could see a different type TB gameplan here.

The first 4 games teams were also stacking the box & daring Fitzmagic to beat them. Weeks 1-2 especially. 

Weeks 3-4 were better against the run. 

As for the BYE week, I can’t imagine Jones improving enough to become relevant, but I won’t discourage speculation& optimism - it’s possjble. It’s just really, really unlikely considering how absolutely incompetent he looked. 

What’s more interesting to me is how good Barber looked in preseason with Winston compared to how much he struggled in the actual season without Fitzmagic. 

granted, some of that was playing against scrubs who weren’t going to make the team - but IMO Winston opens another dimension of the offense with his ability to scramble. 

While I would be extremely surprised to see Jones suddenly become fantasy relevant, I would not be all that surprised to see Barber become fantasy relevant.

ill never underestimate a team’s willingness to force a square peg into a round hole though - they may well give Jones a shot. The more out of contention the Bucs get, the better the odds of that - they’ll need to know for next season whether they should get another RB. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

22 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

The first 4 games teams were also stacking the box & daring Fitzmagic to beat them. Weeks 1-2 especially. 

Weeks 3-4 were better against the run. 

As for the BYE week, I can’t imagine Jones improving enough to become relevant, but I won’t discourage speculation& optimism - it’s possjble. It’s just really, really unlikely considering how absolutely incompetent he looked. 

What’s more interesting to me is how good Barber looked in preseason with Winston compared to how much he struggled in the actual season without Fitzmagic. 

granted, some of that was playing against scrubs who weren’t going to make the team - but IMO Winston opens another dimension of the offense with his ability to scramble. 

While I would be extremely surprised to see Barber suddenly become fantasy relevant, I would not be all that surprised to see Barber become fantasy relevant.

ill never underestimate a team’s willingness to force a square peg into a round hole though - they may well give Jones a shot. The more out of contention the Bucs get, the better the odds of that - they’ll need to know for next season whether they should get another RB. 

Jones?

3 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Jones?

Jones. Brain fart. 

5 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

but IMO Winston opens another dimension of the offense with his ability to scramble. 

I’m not sure Winston is a better runner than Fitzmagic. He wasn’t a scrambler in college and while he is athletic and can gain yards with his legs so can Fitz. Fitz has actually always been a very effective scrambler - although he can a bit reckless as a runner.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

10 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I’m not sure Winston is a better runner than Fitzmagic. He wasn’t a scrambler in college and while he is athletic and can gain yards with his legs so can Fitz. Fitz has actually always been a very effective scrambler - although he can a bit reckless as a runner.

Fitz can run. He’s not great at it. They call designed runs for Winston - I don’t think they do with Fitz. I recall a couple of read option plays in the preseason with Winston where Barber had decent gains.  I don’t recall any option plays with Fitz, but I didn’t see every snap he played this year. 

They clearly stacked the box weeks 1-2 & dared Fitzmagic to throw. IMO with Winsron defenses will have to be a little more honest & respect the pass.

for all the success Fitz had early, and all the grief Winston gets on this forum, I think he’s a far superior passer & player to Fitzmagic. 

On another note I think it’s hilarius that I’ve taught my phone’s autocorrect “Fitzmagic”. :lol: 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

Fitz runs when he scrambles. Winston looks to throw when he scrambles. Not that it matters for Jones. 

Until RJ shows he can catch/block he isn’t going to be fantasy relevant. Maybe he’s showing it more in practice? 

Has something happened to make people think this is the week Jones is going to get an increased role?

Why are people pointing to this week as some sort of pivotal game for him?

• Like 1

Just now, Chaka said:

Has something happened to make people think this is the week Jones is going to get an increased role?

Hope and desperation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Hope and desperation. 

How weird, that's what I named my ####icles.

Edited by Chaka
  • Like 2

Well my whole team is injured/bye so I’m playing this guy in the flex over the possible zero from Allison on Monday. Not expecting much but stranger things have happened.

Edited by tigerz

26 minutes ago, Chaka said:

He was starting to get more work before the bye, and Barber has been useless, so why not get the rookie in there. Also the Falcons D is swiss cheese. I'm not looking to start him in season long leagues, but I have him on a DFS team this week.

31 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Because he got more work than barber in their last game, they are coming off a bye, and they are playing the swiss cheese Falcons defense. Perfect storm for a RB stash. If he does nothing then he's and easy drop. 

• Like 1

and because maybe since the ATL D is the worst, he can get some confidence. That was a brutal 4 game run to start the season. I'm glad he didn't play against those Ds. Of course, if he flops now, he inches closer to bust levels. 

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Didn’t Koetter just indicate Barber is still there starter?

Yes but I imagine jones will get snaps and they will run with the hot hand. 

4 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Yes but I imagine jones will get snaps and they will run with the hot hand. 

Want to pick up a lottery ticket RB stash before 1 and Jones is on the list. It’s either him, Chubb, or Mack. Eenie meanie Minnie mow.

3 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Want to pick up a lottery ticket RB stash before 1 and Jones is on the list. It’s either him, Chubb, or Mack. Eenie meanie Minnie mow.

Exactly its it's a crapshoot. Pick one and hope for the best.

all this Jones talk just means Barber goes off today 80-100 yards, 2 TDs. :wall:

it's the way this season has gone. do contrarian stuff and you'll come out on top. Barber reads the papers too, he hears the noise about Jones..what better way to keep him job than to destroy the Falcons defense.:scared:

2 hours ago, matuski said:

Peyton Barber becomes reliable flex from here out imo.

That’s my gut feeling too. I watched several of their preseason games, leading me to invest in Barber. I’ve been somewhat shocked by his lack of effectiveness to date. 

Regardless I don’t see Jones suddenly advancing his game.

maybe I’m way off. :shrug:

What worries me is this is a team that spirals. Barber led the team in rushing last year with only 423 yards. Rodgers the year before with 560. 

George Warhop (the OL coach) is terrible and I believe is the run game coordinator. 

Either way, the Bucs are in year 2.5 of not having a running game. I thought this year would change with the OL upgrades and Barber actually starting, but it appears to be the same run game. If its going to change, you think today has to be the day coming off a bye and against a bad D.

What worries me now is RoJo. Not because he's good (he's been terrible) but because Koetter & staff have mismanaged the run game and personnel since he became coach. 

• Like 1

Barber’s making me look pretty smart so far - most productive game to date. :shrug:

Anyone else think this is the opportunity that Ronald Jones III needed and that he might literally run away with it?

2 hours ago, ATB said:

Anyone else think this is the opportunity that Ronald Jones III needed and that he might literally run away with it?

It's definitely the opportunity he needs and he might run away with the job. But I think the odds of that actually happening are ridiculously low. Still, a chance is a chance. If he's on the ww he should be scooped up. 

I will be shocked if Jones runs away with it.

Barber's a JAG but he's light years ahead of Jones right now. On one of Winston's picks v. Browns he ran the wrong route and pulled his LB right into Winston's throwing lane. He's struggling big time.

Bucs problems:

1) George Warhop is the run game coordinator. Ever since he was hired, OL and run game have stunk. Every year. 

2) OL is a downgrade from last year and struggling in the run game. 

3) Playcalling is suspect for all RBs. Bucs think "RoJo is good in space = call stretch plays'

4) Talent identification is suspect. The rotation should be (when healthy) Barber/Wilson. Instead, its Barber/Rodgers/RoJo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btemp said:

I will be shocked if Jones runs away with it.

Barber's a JAG but he's light years ahead of Jones right now. On one of Winston's picks v. Browns he ran the wrong route and pulled his LB right into Winston's throwing lane. He's struggling big time.

Bucs problems:

1) George Warhop is the run game coordinator. Ever since he was hired, OL and run game have stunk. Every year. 

2) OL is a downgrade from last year and struggling in the run game. 

3) Playcalling is suspect for all RBs. Bucs think "RoJo is good in space = call stretch plays'

4) Talent identification is suspect. The rotation should be (when healthy) Barber/Wilson. Instead, its Barber/Rodgers/RoJo.

agree with everything you posted.  have watched most Bucs games this year & run blocking is an afterthought.  It's mostly draws & even those are not timed right.  IMO that's what I've seen.  Fire that Warhop dude now.  

Ronald Jones (hamstring) is done for the day in Week 8.

He had one yard on three touches before departing. Jones has struggled mightily throughout his rookie year and is droppable in all fantasy leagues. The Bucs will move forward with Jacquizz Rodgers behind Peyton Barber.

Oct 28 - 3:20 PM

29 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Bucs second-round RB Ronald Jones suffered a hamstring strain and is expected to miss a few weeks, source said.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1057016140436774912?s=21

With the heavy workload he's taken on this year, it is totally understandable.  I took him with the first pick of the 12th round, 1 pick before...James Conner.

• Sad 2

It's my fault guys. I traded for fournette then he retweaked his hammy. Then packages fournette for Melvin n he hurt his hammy then abruptly traded and over paid as the rest of my deals for jones and bam... hammy. I will notify you all of further moves I make

• Like 1

This year seems to be a total bust, what do we think of his prospects next year?  I can keep him next year for a pretty low pick but I'm wondering if it's even worth it at this point.

35 minutes ago, Steeler said:

This year seems to be a total bust, what do we think of his prospects next year?  I can keep him next year for a pretty low pick but I'm wondering if it's even worth it at this point.

Bucs are probably going to have a new GM and coach so who knows if this guy is even on the team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steeler said:

I think he's a bust no matter who's there.

I mean when you're getting taken off on passing downs in COLLEGE what is the chance you're a successful NFL RB? 

Weirder things have happened, sometimes players are better in the NFL than in college. It's possible. But all the signs point to Jones being a complete bust. Can't pass protect, can't run routes, can't catch, can't read the offensive line, struggles with the playbook...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Capella said:

Bucs are probably going to have a new GM and coach so who knows if this guy is even on the team. 

This is the Ron Jones thread, not the Winston thread. :D

7 hours ago, Steeler said:

Probably not, however I don't think we saw a fair test of his abilities. I intend to hold in the leagues I own him to see how 2019 plays out, as I don't think you could get even a 2019 2nd for him at this juncture - and I certainly wouldn't give him away for a 3rd.