What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

> RONALD JONES II: STARTS WEEK AS FULL PARTICIPANT

PUBLISHED WED NOV 21 6:28:11 P.M. ET 2018 

(RotoWire) Jones (hamstring) is listed as a full participant on the Wednesday injury report.

Analysis: A limited participant all last week, Jones ultimately was ruled out Friday for Sunday's eventual 38-35 loss to the Giants. His progression to full participation suggests he should be back for Sunday's game against San Francisco, but there's no guarantee of a sizable role after Peyton Barber just had his best game of the season. It does make sense for the Bucs to give Jones a better look down the stretch, as they don't have any chance to make the playoffs and presumably hope the rookie can supersede Barber before Week 1 of 2019. As bad as he's looked so far, Jones at least offers theoretical upside with his excellent speed, while Barber seemingly lacks the athletic traits to be anything more than a low-end starter or solid backup.

So is Jones worth taking a flier in a limited roster Franchise League.  I picked up Ito Smith recently for my last spot but another guy trying to get in the playoffs cut Jones. Thinking Jones has to be given another shot in Tampa next season, right?

I'm looking forward to him getting a fresh start with a new staff.  A few struggles in pass pro and as a receiver in training camp and the preseason, and he got himself firmly in the doghouse.  It made no sense for Quizz to continue playing over him once the Bucs were eliminated.  I think he just got on Koetter's bad side. 

Man, here's how to win in dynasty leagues.  I draft him 1.5 in a league trade him today for a 2020 2nd.  LOL.  99 times out of 100 you sit on the player to see what he does the next two years but that 2020 2nd wooed me with flowers and a promise to get to first base.

Man, here's how to win in dynasty leagues.  I draft him 1.5 in a league trade him today for a 2020 2nd.  LOL.  99 times out of 100 you sit on the player to see what he does the next two years but that 2020 2nd wooed me with flowers and a promise to get to first base.
Not a bad haul, but the team hasn't been linked to any FAs and I'm not buying Arians talking up Barber. Jones may still emerge after all.

Not a bad haul, but the team hasn't been linked to any FAs and I'm not buying Arians talking up Barber. Jones may still emerge after all.
Then there is the 2019 draft and they could draft someone like Jacobs or Harris.  Taking a loss on Jones would hurt most if he turns out to be good after all, but I tend not to look into the past when it comes to fantasy.  No sense crying over spilled milk.  I'll take the 2nd rd pick in 2020 and hopefully do something positive with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's still a few RBs out there in free agency that would hurt (if not kill) Jones' value: Tevin Coleman, Marshawn Lynch, TJ Yeldon, CJ Anderson, Jay Ajayi, TY Montgomery...

.....and then there is the draft.

Signs one-year deal with Bucs(RotoWire) Barber is signing a one-year contract to stay with the Buccaneers, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports. Analysis: Barber showed some signs of life during the second half of the 2018 campaign, but he didn't do enough to prevent the Buccaneers from actively seeking upgrades in the backfield. Whether its 2018 second-round pick Ronald Jones or an offseason acquisition, Barber likely will face a serious challenge for the starting job. The new contract is in lieu of a restricted free agent tender.

Not taking RB in any of 7 rounds is very telling on TB and their coaching staff on Ronald Jones.  Hope he would get a chance to shed his "bust" label this year. 

Arians talked about Jones the other day and said it had nothing to do with talent. I'm paraphrasing a bit but he said something along the lines of he needed to quit being a "my bad" kind of guy and specifically said at least twice that talent was not the issue. In other words he was trying to say RJ lost his confidence and that's what he was trying to fix. I'd bet on Jones myself just because I think he has more talent and I'd bet on the devil I don't know in this case. I've seen  the devil that is Barber and all I've seen is a player that even if he takes the job offers minimal upside. 

Jones has so much natural talent. IMO he doesnt have it between the ears. Maybe he gets it together this season. Barber isnt anything special, but he doesn't have to be in order to be a decent fantasy asset 

Arians talked about Jones the other day and said it had nothing to do with talent. I'm paraphrasing a bit but he said something along the lines of he needed to quit being a "my bad" kind of guy and specifically said at least twice that talent was not the issue. In other words he was trying to say RJ lost his confidence and that's what he was trying to fix. I'd bet on Jones myself just because I think he has more talent and I'd bet on the devil I don't know in this case. I've seen  the devil that is Barber and all I've seen is a player that even if he takes the job offers minimal upside. 
I'm inclined to agree. But *if* Arians can get Winston to take a step forward this year, then the offense as a whole will have more upside. Barber is solid if not spectacular. If he does hold off Jones then he has some tangible value. Was basically free yesterday. I just saw someone drop him at cuts today. Got him in the 20th round of a startup last week. 

I'm inclined to agree. But *if* Arians can get Winston to take a step forward this year, then the offense as a whole will have more upside. Barber is solid if not spectacular. If he does hold off Jones then he has some tangible value. Was basically free yesterday. I just saw someone drop him at cuts today. Got him in the 20th round of a startup last week. 
I couldnt give him away for a 2019 3rd a month ago

I'm inclined to agree. But *if* Arians can get Winston to take a step forward this year, then the offense as a whole will have more upside.
My counter to that would be that Tampa led the NFL passing yards per game and was 12th in scoring. In terms of raw statistical production, fantasy production, not a lot of upward growth I see in this offense. To me it's more a matter of reducing the mistakes and playing better real winning football, I don't see a massive fantasy uptick coming out of Tampa.

I couldnt give him away for a 2019 3rd a month ago
I traded him for 2.7 in a short roster FFPC league about a month ago and only did it because it was a mistake, I thought I had rescinded the traded and offered him and some players I was going to cut for 2.1 instead.

My counter to that would be that Tampa led the NFL passing yards per game and was 12th in scoring. In terms of raw statistical production, fantasy production, not a lot of upward growth I see in this offense. To me it's more a matter of reducing the mistakes and playing better real winning football, I don't see a massive fantasy uptick coming out of Tampa.
12th is really close to the being clustered in the middle of the pack. Plenty of room for improvement.  The 2nd bolded is exactly what I mean. Less mistakes, more 3rd down conversions and drives extended. More TD upside for the lead back. But this theoretical uptick is based on a step forward by Winston. Big if. 

Could be coachspeak but the GM was talking up RoJo two weeks ago. Said he was the player who has impressed the new coaching staff the most this spring. At least a glimmer of hope for a guy that has been totally written off at this point.

Could be coachspeak but the GM was talking up RoJo two weeks ago. Said he was the player who has impressed the new coaching staff the most this spring. At least a glimmer of hope for a guy that has been totally written off at this point.
Yep I saw that. I think if you bought last year he's an absolute hold. And if he doesn't show anything after the first month or two of the season he's safe to drop. 

How bad was Ronald Jones last year?  In his 3 best games he had 17 carries for 45 yards and a touchdown.  He finished the season with 23 carries for 44 yards and a touchdown.  

Let's start with his best game. He actually had a touchdown. 6 rushes, 13 yards and a touchdown with a 15 yard catch

That was one of two games where he hit that 28 total yard mark. He also had 10 rushes for 29 yards and a catch for minus one

His third best game was clearly his 3 yards rushing and 16 yards receiving but that was against the Falcons when they were struggling on defense

It gets harder to find his fourth best game though.

By pure yardage, it was the game where he had 4 rushes for 2 yards.

That's right, in terms of yardage, his four best totals were 28, 28, 19, and then 2. 

And while 4 rushes for 2 yards sounds abysmal, it's actually his 4th best yards per carry game at .5. His best ypc game, if you're wondering, was 3 yards per carry when he had one carry for 3 yards.  

I think you could make the case that his 4th best game was against the bengals.  Yes, they had a terrible defense,  and yes, his 2 rushes for minus 3 yards look bad, but he did salvage the day with 1 catch for 4 yards, which is a positive play.  I'm not sure 4 carries,  two of which go for a yard, can top that masterpiece.

One thing i can say for sure, it definitely wasn't his 1 catch for negative 1 yard with no rushing.  That's a terrible game, but it was extra bad considering it was on 2 targets.

Which means the pass he didn't catch went for more yards than the one he did.

It's possible that his 4th best game qas a 10 way tie between all the games he simply didn't play. Because he had 3 games that were worse than not playing.

To say jones was a disaster last year is an understatement.

While I agree with this and I still have some hope that the light might switch on for him at some point and he starts looking like the player he did in college, I don't think he has looked good at the NFL level yet.

Compared to the other rookie RB so far Jones seems to have the most bust risk.
He did nothing the rest of the year.

I am pretty sure he is a bust although some players do improve a lot in their second season. If he improves he might rise to a below average NFL RB. So far he has been a bad RB.

Bucs journal: Arians impressed by strides made by Ronald Jones

Excerpt:

Arians spotlighted second-year running back Ronald Jones on Tuesday. Jones, last year’s second-round pick out of USC, averaged just 1.9 yards per carry in limited playing time in a disappointing 2018 rookie campaign.

"Some really young players really stepped up, especially Ronald Jones," Arians said. "He had a really good day today. I really enjoy watching where he's at right now in the backfield."

While there's only so much can be taken from evaluating running backs when practicing without pads, Arians said Jones has stood out.

"We can still see his vision," Arians said. "RoJo made a couple of really nice cutbacks today. We don't run a ball a lot in these periods. Maybe we had nine running plays today, but he took full advantage of his, that's for sure. "

Still, there will be lots of backfield competition behind starting running back Peyton Barber. Second-year player Shaun Wilson has shown some flash this spring, Arians said free-agent addition Andre Ellington — who played for Arians in Arizona — finally appears healthy, and rookie free-agent Bruce Anderson will have the opportunity to create a niche for himself.

Takeaways from Bucs OTAs: Day 4

Excerpt:

“Some really young players really stepped up, especially [running back] Ronald Jones,” Arians said. “He had a heck of a – well, he had a really good day today and really enjoy watching him where he is at right now in the backfield. In the backfield. [Wide receiver] Bobo [Wilson] has had a couple nice days. He’s switched from field to field. [Wide receiver] Scotty [Miller] came in and had a real good day the other day when he stepped out there, so there were a bunch of guys. Defensively, there are a couple guys too on the field that could rush the passer. We saw it at minicamp with the rookies. They’re still doing a great job and I don’t want to praise them too much, but I’m anxious to see them put pads on and get after somebody else.”

Of course, the no-pads caveat has to be noted. There is only so much you can tell without contact, but one extremely encouraging sign remains that classroom time is clearly paying off. Rookies and younger players are putting themselves in positions to make plays, meaning they’re picking up what they’re learning and can also apply it.

Takeaways from Bucs OTAs: Day 6

Excerpt:

Another note on the running backs, I’ve mentioned how Ronald Jones looks fast but today, he looked evasive after the catch. He caught a short screen on the outside but then was able to maneuver around defenders to gain some extra yards.

While there's only so much can be taken from evaluating running backs when practicing without pads, Arians said Jones has stood out.

"We can still see his vision," Arians said.

"We don't run a ball a lot in these periods. Maybe we had nine running plays today, "

Still, there will be lots of backfield competition behind starting running back Peyton Barber
For context

9 running plays.  Without pads. 

"We can still see his vision" is not something you say about a guy you love.  It's something you say about a guy you hope can turn things around. 

"Competition behind starting running back peyton barber" is a lot of information for 7 little words 

For context

9 running plays.  Without pads. 

"We can still see his vision" is not something you say about a guy you love.  It's something you say about a guy you hope can turn things around. 

"Competition behind starting running back peyton barber" is a lot of information for 7 little words 
Jones has always looked good without pads and no one trying to tackle him

Dr. Dan said:
Jones has always looked good without pads and no one trying to tackle him
591 carries...6.1 YPC...3,619 yards 39 touchdowns.

Played in a power 5 conference, still 21 years old

Good thing nobody was trying to tackle him...

591 carries...6.1 YPC...3,619 yards 39 touchdowns.

Played in a power 5 conference, still 21 years old

Good thing nobody was trying to tackle him...
only stats that matter, unless you play fantasy college football:

23 carries... 1.9 YPC...44 yards... 1 touchdown

Played in the NFC South, is the backup to a RB largely regarded as JAG

Plenty of guys who look good in college and fail miserably in the NFL. Keep holding out hope I gues...

Played in the NFC South, is the backup rb

Plenty of guys who look good in college and fail miserably in the NFL. Keep holding out hope I gues...
The age still matters.  Wouldn’t be that crazy if the nfl was too much for him at age 20

"Jones has always looked good without pads and no one trying to tackle him"

Maybe if you phrased it in the NFL only....but you didn't. The goal in here should be to find the correct answer, not fight/debate to be right.

"Jones has always looked good without pads and no one trying to tackle him"

Maybe if you phrased it in the NFL only....but you didn't. The goal in here should be to find the correct answer, not fight/debate to be right.
I'm sorry, I assumed we discarded college stats the minute a player sees NFL competition. I'll be more specific next time

The age still matters.  Wouldn’t be that crazy if the nfl was too much for him at age 20
Good point. He could improve stuff like receiving and pass blocking. It would have been nice for him to have some success on the ground though. 

Weird take.  Koetter gave up on this kid extremely early in the process.  He knew his job was in jeopardy and couldn't afford to let Jones develop. 

Do you like Guice more than him?  He doesn't have any numbers against NFL competition either. 

Weird take.  Koetter gave up on this kid extremely early in the process.  He knew his job was in jeopardy and couldn't afford to let Jones develop. 

Do you like Guice more than him?  He doesn't have any numbers against NFL competition either. 
Let me rephrase that for you

A coach knew his job was in jeopardy so he benched Ronald Jones.

Just a reminder that in the last 3 games before he was benched the rest of the season, he had 6 carries for negative one yard and 2 receptions for 3 yards.

I don't know how to say that to make it sound positive. 

Do we say his 8 touches for a total of 2 yards in 3 games is an average of 9 inches per touch? 

His rushing average was only minus six inches per carry? 

He averaged 2 feet per game? 

Wait, I've got it. 

From week 8 on, ronald jones ran for almost as many yards as derrius guice. 

Let me rephrase that for you

A coach knew his job was in jeopardy so he benched Ronald Jones.

Just a reminder that in the last 3 games before he was benched the rest of the season, he had 6 carries for negative one yard and 2 receptions for 3 yards.

I don't know how to say that to make it sound positive. 

Do we say his 8 touches for a total of 2 yards in 3 games is an average of 9 inches per touch? 

His rushing average was only minus six inches per carry? 

He averaged 2 feet per game? 

Wait, I've got it. 

From week 8 on, ronald jones ran for almost as many yards as derrius guice. 
If you want to make it sound positive you say 8 touches over 3 weeks is too small of a sample size to draw any definitive conclusions 

Users who are viewing this thread