What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Jameis Winston said second-year RB Ronald Jones has been "showing out" at OTAs.

"His confidence, his comfort, RoJo's a smart guy," Winston continued. "He's getting comfortable in this offense. No one is breathing down his neck. He's more relaxed and executing at a high level." If anything, the Bucs injected some confidence into Jones by doing nothing at running back in either free agency or the draft aside from signing pass-catcher Andre Ellington, who was out of the league in 2018. Jones and Peyton Barber remain atop the depth chart. There's a reason Jones was a second-round pick last year. Maybe he'll be able to show us why in 2019.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

May 29, 2019, 9:44 AM ET

Skeletore Eh said:
If you want to make it sound positive you say 8 touches over 3 weeks is too small of a sample size to draw any definitive conclusions 
I wouldn't say that because i'd be afraid someone would point out that it was 8 touches over 9 weeks, 6 of which he didn't get any touches because he sucks. 

Ronald Jones is looking to get back on the "right track."

It would have been tough for Jones' rookie season to go any worse, but he has earned nothing but praise from the new coaching staff and his teammates so far this offseason. He is also confident he can turn things around. "I’m definitely ready and I can’t wait to get the most of those opportunities," Jones said, "but I’ve just got to showing them that I can be a dependable player and they can count on me in critical situations." Nothing can be taken for granted after his rookie season, but Jones appears on his way to earning the starting job.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Jun 17, 2019, 9:35 AM ET

Nothing can be taken for granted after his rookie season, but Jones appears on his way to earning the starting job.
That seems like quite an editorial leap.  He didn't even have a role last year and was a healthy inactive with the same group. The article specifically refers to barber as the starter, and has quotes that reference Jones keeping things small and hoping to be able to play in critical situations.  There's been zero in the way of quotes from anyone on the team saying they want Jones to start, and i can't remember anyone who covers the team suggesting it either. 

Was this from roto? 

this is why Winston is going to be a top 5 QB this season - they can't run effectively , they're going to have to pass ..Arians is just the guy for that

Organizational psychology is important in situations like this.

Bucs GM Jason Licht drafted Jones.

Previous coach Dirk Koetter then proceeded to ignore him.

Bruce Arians will definitely want to show that he is a better, smarter coach than his predecessor by utilising a high end talent like Jones.

Licht will definitely want Jones to succeed to demonstrate that he didn't make a terrible pick and isn't a bad GM.

Arians will want to keep his boss happy.

They won't give Jones the starting job on a platter of course. I can foresee Barber remaining the nominal starter at the beginning of the season with Jones the change of pace guy. But I would not be at all surprised if Jones is getting the majority of carries by mid-season.

You’re reading way too deeply into this. Arians doesn’t give a flying #### about impressing his boss, he’s going to play the guys that give him the best chance to win. 

I would say that everyone in the building comes in on equal footing and their work ethic and performance is what determines who starts and who plays. 

But I would not be at all surprised if Jones is getting the majority of carries by mid-season.
Not if he doesn't show massive improvement over last season. Sure Arians wants to please his boss, but the best way to do that is by winning football games.

You’re reading way too deeply into this. Arians doesn’t give a flying #### about impressing his boss, he’s going to play the guys that give him the best chance to win. 

I would say that everyone in the building comes in on equal footing and their work ethic and performance is what determines who starts and who plays. 
Idk man. I'm sure ownership made it perfectly clear that playing Ronald Jones is a top priority for the Bucs going forward. Arians wouldnt have taken the job if he wasn't on board.

Organizational psychology is important in situations like this.

Bucs GM Jason Licht drafted Jones.

Previous coach Dirk Koetter then proceeded to ignore him.

Bruce Arians will definitely want to show that he is a better, smarter coach than his predecessor by utilising a high end talent like Jones.

Licht will definitely want Jones to succeed to demonstrate that he didn't make a terrible pick and isn't a bad GM.

Arians will want to keep his boss happy.

They won't give Jones the starting job on a platter of course. I can foresee Barber remaining the nominal starter at the beginning of the season with Jones the change of pace guy. But I would not be at all surprised if Jones is getting the majority of carries by mid-season.
Arians has the juice here, not Light. Light only has the job still bc he had a connection to Arians. 

Idk man. I'm sure ownership made it perfectly clear that playing Ronald Jones is a top priority for the Bucs going forward. Arians wouldnt have taken the job if he wasn't on board.
:lmao:  you can’t really think the ownership gives a #### about Robert Jones. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ownership is concerned with their assets and their return on investment, many of these owners are businessmen to varying degrees.

The team invested high in R Jones regardless of who made the call on draft night and have gotten little return in year one and likely would have to sell him at a big loss right now if they tried. So there may be ownership support for the guy or a "you owe us to get out there and run like a beast" after we invested in you or we are going to say all the right things about you so someone is willing to trade for you.

I think ownership is concerned with their assets and their return on investment, many of these owners are businessmen to varying degrees.

The team invested high in R Jones regardless of who made the call on draft night and have gotten little return in year one and likely would have to sell him at a big loss right now if they tried. So there may be ownership support for the guy or a "you owe us to get out there and run like a beast" after we invested in you or we are going to say all the right things about you so someone is willing to trade for you.
No that’s not how it works at all. If an asset is lost the only worse thing is to continue to take a loss on it. And ownership isn’t dealing with football ops anyways. AND they cut the 2nd round kicker the next training camp anyways. Ownership has literally nothing to do with this. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Glazers had no idea who Ronald Jones is.

As to GM Licht, I'm sure he wants the guy he used a second round pick on last season to be a major contributor but what he wants/needs even more if for the Bucs to win this season. The biggest piece to that puzzle is Winston followed very closely by Bruce Arians. Now it could very well turn out that Jones turns it around and becomes a big part of the offense, but there's no way Arians has a mandate to make that happen. Arians is going to use the guy that helps the offense the most. If Jones gets cast aside in favor of Barber, Ellington and/or Bruce Anderson sobeit. He wouldn't be the first second round pick not to make it. With that said his second round cost, will help give him another chance to show he can play - it will be up to him what he does with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Glazers had no idea who Ronald Jones is.
From 2018.......after Bucs drafted Jones.....“It’s something that’s definitely needed and I know Dirk is excited to have him. A player like that will help the entire offense,” Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer said of his signing.

Very few team owners are hands-off nowadays.

Jacksonke1 said:
From 2018.......after Bucs drafted Jones.....“It’s something that’s definitely needed and I know Dirk is excited to have him. A player like that will help the entire offense,” Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer said of his signing.

Very few team owners are hands-off nowadays.
Obviously that was a bit of hyperbole on my part, but the point remains - the Glazers could not care less if Jones was running the ball or if it's Peyton Barber. They care about two things: winning and the bottom line (not necessarily in that order).

Bucs are "really excited about the progress" Ronald Jones made this offseason.

Jones has been talked up multiple times this offseason. Both Jones and the new coaching staff are confident he won't repeat his lost rookie season, especially since he's "comfortable" with this offense. The Bucs opted to not add competition to the running back room, so Jones could take the starting job from Peyton Barber with a strong training camp and preseason.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Jun 28, 2019, 12:12 PM ET

I'll have to see a lot in pre-season to consider it.
Not even considering the guy until this. Loved him in college, and then all of the camp talk last year sounded awful. And his playtime reflected it. I’ll stick with Peyton way down in the basement rounds until I hear something different. 

Not even considering the guy until this. Loved him in college, and then all of the camp talk last year sounded awful. And his playtime reflected it. I’ll stick with Peyton way down in the basement rounds until I hear something different. 
This is the right mindset in redraft, but his price is already up in dynasty and all positive reports will do is further inflate that price. 

Ronald Jones put on 13 pounds of muscle this offseason.

Jones is now up to 221 pounds after playing at 208 last season. "I’ve put on a lot of pounds of muscle," said the 2018 second-rounder. "I’ve been training with my guy, eating four or five meals a day, protein shakes right after workouts. I’m bigger." Jones has reportedly been a standout this offseason and should have a good chance to unseat career plodder Peyton Barber as the Bucs' lead back. However, fantasy owners may want to pump the brakes a bit coming off a disastrous rookie season that included just 77 yards on 30 touches.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Jul 14, 2019, 10:51 AM ET

However, fantasy owners may want to pump the brakes a bit coming off a disastrous rookie season that included just 77 yards on 30 touches.
Pump the brakes?  I'm stomping on them!  Barber is the Rodney Dangerfield of RB's.  I'll stick with him until Rojo proves otherwise.

Pump the brakes?  I'm stomping on them!  Barber is the Rodney Dangerfield of RB's.  I'll stick with him until Rojo proves otherwise.
There is a reason he gets no respect. Barber had the 13th most touches in the NFL last year and yet was RB26 in standard and RB31 in PPR.  He is very inefficient and is likely to see his workload decresse. No reason to invest in Babrer IMO.

Barber is who he is. A decent RB4. 

I'd say Rojo's verdict is not known at this time. It certainly doesnt look great. 

If you're going to invest in this backfield going forward I'd say Rojo but I'm expecting a 2020 draft pick is the way to go as I dont see Rojo panning out and then TB would be picking a rb early 

Who rushed for more yards than Ronald Jones did in his final 3 games? 

A) peyton barber 

B) peyton manning 

C) Sean Payton 

D) bostonfred

E) all of the above

Ilov80s said:
There is a reason he gets no respect. Barber had the 13th most touches in the NFL last year and yet was RB26 in standard and RB31 in PPR.  He is very inefficient and is likely to see his workload decresse. No reason to invest in Babrer IMO.
On the flip side:

Barber is one of the most inefficient backs in the league, and yet they still won't give Jones the ball.  What does that say?  And that's the coaching staff that drafted him.

Now you have a coaching change.  The kid better light the world on fire in the pre-season.  Otherwise, Barber is in light to get another 250 touches.  Regardless of effeciency, that kind of volume at his ADP=value.

Ronald Jones putting on 13 lbs... meh. Dude never ran with much power anyways, always seemed to be a Jamaal Charles slasher type. Not sure this helps him.

In best ball I sometimes grab Bruce Anderson. He is the most appealing option to me right now.

On the flip side:

Barber is one of the most inefficient backs in the league, and yet they still won't give Jones the ball.  What does that say?  And that's the coaching staff that drafted him.

Now you have a coaching change.  The kid better light the world on fire in the pre-season.  Otherwise, Barber is in light to get another 250 touches.  Regardless of effeciency, that kind of volume at his ADP=value.
Coaches (except for Belichick) don't draft players

Ilov80s said:
So, he was a high end RB3 in standard, and a mid RB3 in PPR, but there is no reason to invest in him as a RB4?  I don't get it.

I am not saying he is great, or even very good, but compared to the other TB RB's for the past 3 yrs, he is efficient.  Doug Martin only averaged 2.9 YPC on 282 carries.  Perhaps Peyton's stats aren't a true measure of his talent.  Until Rojo passes him, Barber will continue to get enough volume to be a RB3. 

So, he was a high end RB3 in standard, and a mid RB3 in PPR, but there is no reason to invest in him as a RB4?  I don't get it.
This is the stance I'm taking in the Hines thread, so I get it.

If im investing in TB RBs for 2019 only, at this point Barber is the guy I'd only have interest in. I dont think the long term RB is on this roster, so I wouldnt pay much for Barber. So maybe that's the disconnect here... Barber poses value as a RB3 at RB4/5 prices, but I think the reason he is priced there is because of the potential lack of value beyond 2019

Why would anyone judge a back on a handful of carries last year instead of his entire college career?
What an odd stance to take. There are plenty of examples of guys who couldnt cut it in the NFL but had great college resumes. 

It was posted earlier, but Guice had more rushing yards than Jones from week 8 onward last year (or something like that).

If im investing in TB RBs for 2019 only, at this point Barber is the guy I'd only have interest in. I dont think the long term RB is on this roster, so I wouldnt pay much for Barber. So maybe that's the disconnect here... Barber poses value as a RB3 at RB4/5 prices, but I think the reason he is priced there is because of the potential lack of value beyond 2019
I totally agree.  For 2018, he was value in redraft, and will be the same in 2019.  He may even hold value in 2020, depending on his situation, but he is not a dynasty prospect.  I tell ya what though - if he is $8 again in the subscriber contest, he will be on my roster once again.

On the flip side:

Yeah I’m trying to avoid both guys. 

I am not saying he is great, or even very good, but compared to the other TB RB's for the past 3 yrs, he is efficient.  Doug Martin only averaged 2.9 YPC on 282 carries.  Perhaps Peyton's stats aren't a true measure of his talent.  Until Rojo passes him, Barber will continue to get enough volume to be a RB3. 
It depends on league size and starting requirements for sure. In a larger league with more roster spots, he is viable. In more traditional leagues, he seems to have no upside. I prefer to get players with upside in those later rounds. With Barber, if everything goes right, it seems like he’s just not going to provide much help. He’s a solid target if one went zero RB.

Why would anyone judge a back on a handful of carries last year instead of his entire college career?
It’s not just the carries he got but all the carries he didn’t get. 

What an odd stance to take. There are plenty of examples of guys who couldnt cut it in the NFL but had great college resumes. 

It was posted earlier, but Guice had more rushing yards than Jones from week 8 onward last year (or something like that).
I just generally have found myself frustrated when I take guys like Barber. Was the Barber owner drafter last year happy with him? No because all he did was provide the absolute bottom level production all year. 39th in standard ppg, 44th in ppr ppg. Barber is just clogging up a roster spot.

I just generally have found myself frustrated when I take guys like Barber. Was the Barber owner drafter last year happy with him? No because all he did was provide the absolute bottom level production all year. 39th in standard ppg, 44th in ppr ppg. Barber is just clogging up a roster spot.
He played well enough leading up to ly trade deadline to trade him, so I was pretty happy. 

a RB4 is a guy you hope you never have to start, but if you do youd be hard pressed to find one who gets the volume Barber does. Which is both a good and a bad thing, but at least hes getting opportunities 

Users who are viewing this thread