What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (1 Viewer)

He played well enough leading up to ly trade deadline to trade him, so I was pretty happy. 

a RB4 is a guy you hope you never have to start, but if you do youd be hard pressed to find one who gets the volume Barber does. Which is both a good and a bad thing, but at least hes getting opportunities 
Or a RB4 could be a guy with upside- Damien Harris, Austin Ekeler, Justice Hill, etc. (talking redraft obviously). With Barber if everything goes right and he gets the job outright and is top 15 in NFL touches and TB is in the top half of scoring/yards then you have yourself ~RB36 in ppg. If anything goes slightly wrong then we are talking about waiver wire fodder. I just don’t see the appeal.

Poor Rojo.  He sucked so bad last year, even his own thread isn't about him anymore.
LOL. Well it’s sort of about him. How Barber does certainly impacts Rojo’s value. 

Yeah I’m trying to avoid both guys. 

It depends on league size and starting requirements for sure. In a larger league with more roster spots, he is viable. In more traditional leagues, he seems to have no upside. I prefer to get players with upside in those later rounds. With Barber, if everything goes right, it seems like he’s just not going to provide much help. He’s a solid target if one went zero RB.

It’s not just the carries he got but all the carries he didn’t get. 

I just generally have found myself frustrated when I take guys like Barber. Was the Barber owner drafter last year happy with him? No because all he did was provide the absolute bottom level production all year. 39th in standard ppg, 44th in ppr ppg. Barber is just clogging up a roster spot.

Or a RB4 could be a guy with upside- Damien Harris, Austin Ekeler, Justice Hill, etc. (talking redraft obviously). With Barber if everything goes right and he gets the job outright and is top 15 in NFL touches and TB is in the top half of scoring/yards then you have yourself ~RB36 in ppg. If anything goes slightly wrong then we are talking about waiver wire fodder. I just don’t see the appeal.

LOL. Well it’s sort of about him. How Barber does certainly impacts Rojo’s value. 
You seem to be completely disregarding the fact that they have a major upgrade in coaching this year. IMO Barber's ceiling is much higher than RB36 with Arians at the helm (same goes for Jones or anyone else who may end up as their RB1).

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to be completely disregarding the fact that they have a major upgrade in coaching this year. IMO Barber's ceiling is much higher than RB36 with Arians at the helm (same goes for Jones or anyone else who may end up as their RB1).
Why? He was 12th in touches, 11th in RB snaps, Tampa was 3rd in yards, 12th in points scored. I don’t see a lot of room for improvement. 

Why? He was 12th in touches, 11th in RB snaps, Tampa was 3rd in yards, 12th in points scored. I don’t see a lot of room for improvement. 
You gave an obvious one yourself, being 3rd in yards but only 12th in points. Barber led the team with 5 rushing TDs, don't you think that has plenty of room for improvement? He also only had 20 receptions for less than 100 yards, seems to me that there is quite a bit of room for improvement there as well.

The team was pretty inefficient on offense last year and their defense was a sieve, which led them to have the 6th lowest percentage of run plays in the league. This should change for the better as well this season.

You gave an obvious one yourself, being 3rd in yards but only 12th in points. Barber led the team with 5 rushing TDs, don't you think that has plenty of room for improvement? He also only had 20 receptions for less than 100 yards, seems to me that there is quite a bit of room for improvement there as well.

The team was pretty inefficient on offense last year and their defense was a sieve, which led them to have the 6th lowest percentage of run plays in the league. This should change for the better as well this season.
There's nothing on Barber's history in the NFL or college to make me assume he can greatly increase he receptions or that he adds much of anything to the passing game. I do agree that he could score more TDs and Tampa could be more efficient on offense. I would be curious to see Arians historical plays, yards, etd. during his time in Arizona. 

There's nothing on Barber's history in the NFL or college to make me assume he can greatly increase he receptions or that he adds much of anything to the passing game. I do agree that he could score more TDs and Tampa could be more efficient on offense. I would be curious to see Arians historical plays, yards, etd. during his time in Arizona. 
Forget about the specific player for a minute, just look at the numbers- Barber added a bit over 2 ppg from the receiving game last year in full PPR. Do you think that is near the top or bottom of the league for starting RBs? IMO there is far more upside than downside from that level simply because it's such a low baseline.

I'm not saying he's great at catching the ball, but he's adequate enough and working on it so that if things fall the right way and he winds up the bellcow, I think there is plenty of room for improvement there with Arians calling the plays. From the link: 

Here are a few things I took away from Wednesday’s practice:

-Running back Peyton Barber is looking more and more like that three-down back that Coach Arians has said he has the potential to be. He got a lot of work catching passes on Wednesday and also showed off some moves in scrimmage drills. Again, there’s no tackling, but Barber was spinning around defenders anyway while in traffic.
If he winds up with 30 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs, that would still likely be near the bottom of the barrel for starting RBs, but would give him ~30 more points in PPR over last season. If any of these RBs ends up being the bellcow next year, I would consider that to be a conservative projection (never mind ceiling) considering they should again be one of the best offenses in the league.

What an odd stance to take. There are plenty of examples of guys who couldnt cut it in the NFL but had great college resumes. 

It was posted earlier, but Guice had more rushing yards than Jones from week 8 onward last year (or something like that).
The point is the size of the sample. 

Suggest anyone who thinks he is terrible watches this:

Top 10 college plays

Generally the speed backs who look good in college but don't make it in the pros are those who have don't have the moves to go with the speed. But I see multiple examples of really sharp, decisive cuts here.

Suggest anyone who thinks he is terrible watches this:

Top 10 college plays

Generally the speed backs who look good in college but don't make it in the pros are those who have don't have the moves to go with the speed. But I see multiple examples of really sharp, decisive cuts here.
The biggest knock imo on Jones was he’s a smaller speed back with no pass catching chops and an immature unprofessional attitude.

That's reductio ad absurdum, and you know it. The point is you can learn more about a player from 591 carries in college than 23 carries in the pros.
I disagree. You can learn a lot about a college player looking at 591 carries in college. Just because a running back was successful in college does not equal success in the NFL. Going into a rookie season, sure it's all we have and we do our best with that information.a Once a guy gets to the pros, we learn a lot about that player as they get professional reps (or even if they fail to get reps to JAG). Especially RBs. 

This is starting to remind me of the guy who keeps watching his high school football highlights into adulthood. 

Forget about the specific player for a minute, just look at the numbers- Barber added a bit over 2 ppg from the receiving game last year in full PPR. Do you think that is near the top or bottom of the league for starting RBs? IMO there is far more upside than downside from that level simply because it's such a low baseline.

I'm not saying he's great at catching the ball, but he's adequate enough and working on it so that if things fall the right way and he winds up the bellcow, I think there is plenty of room for improvement there with Arians calling the plays. From the link: 
He was for sure near the bottom when it comes to a feature RB adding points in the passing game.  So you are right there is room to grow. He was also near the bottom in college in target share though there is also room to be think maybe he just isn't a threat as a receiver. Last year had 3 drops on 29 targets while averaging 4.6 yards per catch (115th among NFL RBs). Some backs just can't contribute in the passing game besides the occassional dump off.

He was 13th in the NFL in GL carries last year so I know TDs is an area where he can see some positive regression or we we have to acknowledge he/the OL is not good in short yardage. I am just really having a hard time seeing upside with him but I will follow training camp and preason to see how it shakes out. 

If he winds up with 30 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs, that would still likely be near the bottom of the barrel for starting RBs, but would give him ~30 more points in PPR over last season. If any of these RBs ends up being the bellcow next year, I would consider that to be a conservative projection (never mind ceiling) considering they should again be one of the best offenses in the league.
Sure but they were in one of the best offenses in the league last year as well. Tampa was 8th in drives, 6 in yards/drive, 12th in points/drive. There is room to improve but also room not fall back. Arians is a well respected HC but I am not convinced he can make this offense even more productive. Courtsey of Pro Football Reference, we can look at where his offenses have ranked percentile was from his years as OC and HC:

Points: 50th, yards : 52nd.  Rushing yards: 41st, rushing TDs: 46th, ypc: 38th.  In other words, his 14 year career shows his offenses are pretty average and he has much more success with the pass (Barbers weakness) than the run. 

I disagree. You can learn a lot about a college player looking at 591 carries in college. Just because a running back was successful in college does not equal success in the NFL. Going into a rookie season, sure it's all we have and we do our best with that information.a Once a guy gets to the pros, we learn a lot about that player as they get professional reps (or even if they fail to get reps to JAG). Especially RBs. 

This is starting to remind me of the guy who keeps watching his high school football highlights into adulthood. 
No-one is arguing that just because a college player is successful they are going to be successful in the pros. That's a statement of the obvious, a given. You don't need to keep repeating it.

The question is which tells us more about a player:

A) a tiny (to the point of being statistically irrelevant) number of carries in the pros, 23

B) a whole college career, 591 carries

I say B; you appear to be quixotically arguing A.

He was for sure near the bottom when it comes to a feature RB adding points in the passing game.  So you are right there is room to grow. He was also near the bottom in college in target share though there is also room to be think maybe he just isn't a threat as a receiver. Last year had 3 drops on 29 targets while averaging 4.6 yards per catch (115th among NFL RBs). Some backs just can't contribute in the passing game besides the occassional dump off.

He was 13th in the NFL in GL carries last year so I know TDs is an area where he can see some positive regression or we we have to acknowledge he/the OL is not good in short yardage. I am just really having a hard time seeing upside with him but I will follow training camp and preason to see how it shakes out. 

Sure but they were in one of the best offenses in the league last year as well. Tampa was 8th in drives, 6 in yards/drive, 12th in points/drive. There is room to improve but also room not fall back. Arians is a well respected HC but I am not convinced he can make this offense even more productive. Courtsey of Pro Football Reference, we can look at where his offenses have ranked percentile was from his years as OC and HC:

Points: 50th, yards : 52nd.  Rushing yards: 41st, rushing TDs: 46th, ypc: 38th.  In other words, his 14 year career shows his offenses are pretty average and he has much more success with the pass (Barbers weakness) than the run. 
Barber barely saw the field his freshman year and then entered the draft after his sophomore season, so it's hard for me to put too much stock in the fact that he didn't catch a ton of passes- college offenses are way different, their offense was very run heavy. If you want to put stock in that season though, he did rush for 13 TDs in the SEC, so that should put a damper on the thought that he is not good in short yardage (as well as his scouting reports saying otherwise).

Context is also important when looking at the coaches. There is a reason Arians is well respected, it's because he's a very good coach (particularly offensively). That's more about doing well with what you have than just the raw numbers (see the debacle of 2017 in Arizona, no one would have done anything with that disaster).

Anyway, we should probably just agree to disagree. I want to be clear, I'm not pounding the table for Barber or any other TB RB, I just think his ceiling is far higher than you do if everything goes right, which is what I was initially replying to. Obviously it isn't likely that everything will go right, and of course there is room for regression as well (I never said otherwise). I'm strictly talking about upside, and I see a lot more of it on that offense with that coach than you do.

No-one is arguing that just because a college player is successful they are going to be successful in the pros. That's a statement of the obvious, a given. You don't need to keep repeating it.

The question is which tells us more about a player:

A) a tiny (to the point of being statistically irrelevant) number of carries in the pros, 23

B) a whole college career, 591 carries

I say B; you appear to be quixotically arguing A.
I would say NFL carries are a better representation of NFL potential than college carries are of NFL potential. 

Do you think this player is destined for greatness?

College: 30 games

310 yards/g

1.97 TD/g

0.87 INT/g

NFL: 14 games

162 yards/g

0.78 TD/g

1.0 INT/g

I'd argue who cares what he did in college, he stunk in the NFL.

Granted, QBs have a bit more of a learning curve, but it's a pretty big disaster to say the least. 

RoJo may have had great success in college, and he was a good college RB with great talent to succeed... in college. But this is the NFL and none of that matters in the least. In his first season he was absolutely dreadful. It couldnt have gone any worse. You cant shine that turd any way you try. 

I dont blame anyone for being hopeful but blind optimism and denial at how bad his season was wont do anything for you 

The Tampa Bay Times reports Ronald Jones received "only raves" from the Bucs' new coaching staff during offseason workouts.

Reporter Rick Stroud adds the obvious and necessary caveat that the "raves" came during pad-less practices. It's still better than the alternative. Jones fell deep into everyone's dog house during his lost rookie year. He enters camp as the clear-cut No. 2 back behind Peyton Barber, but he is going to get the opportunity to do some depth chart climbing.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Jul 16, 2019, 3:50 PM ET

Dr. Dan said:
I would say NFL carries are a better representation of NFL potential than college carries are of NFL potential. 

Do you think this player is destined for greatness?

College: 30 games

310 yards/g

1.97 TD/g

0.87 INT/g

NFL: 14 games

162 yards/g

0.78 TD/g

1.0 INT/g

I'd argue who cares what he did in college, he stunk in the NFL.

Granted, QBs have a bit more of a learning curve, but it's a pretty big disaster to say the least. 

RoJo may have had great success in college, and he was a good college RB with great talent to succeed... in college. But this is the NFL and none of that matters in the least. In his first season he was absolutely dreadful. It couldnt have gone any worse. You cant shine that turd any way you try. 

I dont blame anyone for being hopeful but blind optimism and denial at how bad his season was wont do anything for you 
The point is that he hardly played last season so we genuinely don't know at this point how he will fare in the NFL.

Error numero uno of statistics is to draw grand conclusions from a very small sample size.

The total number of carries would equate to one game's load as a starter and no-one judges a player on one game.

You can say that he didn't play because he was terrible, but you might also say that the coaching staff didn't feature him because they were terrible.

Rookies often have lost rookie seasons in which they hardly play and go on to have great career.

I would reserve judgement if I were you until we have more evidence.

The point is that he hardly played last season so we genuinely don't know at this point how he will fare in the NFL.

Error numero uno of statistics is to draw grand conclusions from a very small sample size.
Sure, but he wasn't a healthy scratch by accident.  The coaches saw him suck in practice then watched him suck on the field. That practice suckage is a relevant part of the sample size. You have to add his practice suckage to his on field suckage to get his total suckage portfolio.  

you're making my point for me... he didnt play much last year.... in favor of undrafted Peyton Barber
That argument only works if you trust the judgement of the Bucs coaches. Coaches are not infallible, they are not the Pope. And that Tampa Bay staff in particular were not always blessed with wisdom.

Sure, but he wasn't a healthy scratch by accident.  The coaches saw him suck in practice then watched him suck on the field. That practice suckage is a relevant part of the sample size. You have to add his practice suckage to his on field suckage to get his total suckage portfolio.  
Same point as above - it depends if the coaches got it right.

There are tons of examples of coaches getting it wrong. The Raiders coaches famously thought Randy Moss had lost a step and traded him to the Patriots for a pittance for example.

Same point as above - it depends if the coaches got it right.

There are tons of examples of coaches getting it wrong. The Raiders coaches famously thought Randy Moss had lost a step and traded him to the Patriots for a pittance for example.
I agree, coaches arent mistake proof, but man you are really reaching on this. 

Your example for your case is HOF Randy Moss and I found one example of a RB in 2x Pro Bowler Melvin Gordon to prove your "often players have a lost rookie season and go on to have great careers" (of it was so often wed have several rb examples). Ronald Jones does not belong in the same conversation of either of those. 

Hard to come to any common ground when your examples are those 2

Ajayi had a pretty bad rookie year, had nearly 1,300 rushing the next year. D Freeman's rookie year wasn't special, over 1,000 rushing and 14 TDs the next.  Took Mark Ingram 3 years to be much of anything.  CJ Spiller's rookie year was down right bad - averaged over 5 YPC each of the next two seasons, and got into the receiving game much more.  Rashard Mendenhall averaged 3.1 YPC as a rookie and had two receptions - back to back 1,100+ rushing seasons followed with 21 total TDs. 

Sometimes it takes a year (or two, or three) for guys to acclimate to the NFL.  Personally, I think Jones' issues last year were much more mental than physical.  Oftentimes, the mental ones are easier to overcome - no amount of training will turn a guy into a 4.4 runner.

It boils down to risk tolerance and when you are drafting, before pre-season, during or after.

In this game, depending on format,  its better to be too early than too late to the party.

He can only improve and certainly has some pedigree to suggest that it is possible.....the real question is how much leash he will have to do it on while in Tampa. Maybe the new coaching staff doesn't like what they see in Barber for all we know and that is why they are pumping RoJo to get him in a mindset to progress. Not likely he gets cut given his draft investment but someone else would surely sign him at least once and see what's up.

Maybe the new coaching staff doesn't like what they see in Barber for all we know and that is why they are pumping RoJo to get him in a mindset to progress.
The problem with that statement is Arians has consistently pumped up Barber as well and has already called him the starter.

That argument only works if you trust the judgement of the Bucs coaches. Coaches are not infallible, they are not the Pope. And that Tampa Bay staff in particular were not always blessed with wisdom.
They were at least wise enough to know that if they do not win football games their jobs were in jeopardy. If they thought playing Jones would help them win they would have done so.

The coaches got fired and now Arians is in charge. All the players get a clean slate and fresh opportunity to prove themselves. Arians like any other coach will play the players who he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

I do think Jones has a chance to establish himself and earn more playing time during training camp if plays well. If he doesn't and the same thing happens with him as last season, then we will have two coaching staffs making the same decision, which will be confirmation enough for me to accept that Jones is a bust.

In my charting of Jones in college I saw some very good things he was able to do. I made excuses for him not catching more passes than he did though, blaming that on Darnold. Now after Jones struggled his first season as a pro I have realized that Darnold and the USC coaches had reasons to not use Jones more as a receiver and that is completely on Jones. 

Although I didn't say it, the more I watched of Jones as a rookie prospect the less I liked him. I was second guessing my evaluation of him and I felt conflicted about it. I do not normally have that kind of experience when watching RB. Most of the time they grow on me the more I watch them. With Jones my experience was the opposite. The more I watched the more I wondered about his burst and things I considered to be strengths.

I am pretty sure Jones is a bust and that I ranked him too high as a prospect. It happens. 

Ajayi had a pretty bad rookie year, had nearly 1,300 rushing the next year. D Freeman's rookie year wasn't special, over 1,000 rushing and 14 TDs the next.  Took Mark Ingram 3 years to be much of anything.  CJ Spiller's rookie year was down right bad - averaged over 5 YPC each of the next two seasons, and got into the receiving game much more.  Rashard Mendenhall averaged 3.1 YPC as a rookie and had two receptions - back to back 1,100+ rushing seasons followed with 21 total TDs. 

Sometimes it takes a year (or two, or three) for guys to acclimate to the NFL.  Personally, I think Jones' issues last year were much more mental than physical.  Oftentimes, the mental ones are easier to overcome - no amount of training will turn a guy into a 4.4 runner.
Of that entire list only one RB went on to have a "great" career.

ETA: I'm sure it's certainly possible for Jones to have 1 or 2 fantasy relevant seasons like some of those other RBs. I would put my money on that way more than I would a career like Melvin Gordon or Mark Ingram

It's been mentioned but it isn't just the limited touches he got last year it's the touches he didn't get. He presumably got plenty of reps in training camp and the preseason. I don't know how many #1 reps he got during the season, but bottom line is he didn't earn snaps. Yeah maybe those coaches were wrong about him. I guess.

Saying we have a small sample size for Jones in the NFL is one thing, but if you were looking at the dataset that included every rep in practice, which would mean you are a coach or GM, it would be much more robust. We don't have access to those data, but we do have access to *some* of the conclusions that were drawn by those coaches. And it is damning. While also acknowledging he is young and can still develop - the conclusions were snapshots in time subject to possible change. But what do the odds of improvement look like? I suppose we'll get some more feedback real soon.

Put differently, let's imagine an alternative universe in which Carlos Hyde is not cut and Hue Jackson is not fired in Cleveland last season.

The pig-headed, stubborn Jackson continues to feed Hyde the ball, ignoring the merits of the superior talent, Chubb.

Chubb hardly features all season. 

We would now be having a similar discussion about how terrible Chubb looked, how bad he is, how he is clearly a bust, buyer beware etc, wouldn't we?

Put differently, let's imagine an alternative universe in which Carlos Hyde is not cut and Hue Jackson is not fired in Cleveland last season.

The pig-headed, stubborn Jackson continues to feed Hyde the ball, ignoring the merits of the superior talent, Chubb.

We would now be having a similar discussion about how terrible Chubb looked, how bad he is, how he is clearly a bust, buyer beware etc, wouldn't we?
The flaw in your alternate universe is we got to see Rojo gain 77 yards on 30 touches.  It only took Chubb 8 touches to reach 104 yards.

This analogy doesn’t work because Jones wasn’t the superior talent to Barber. Jones actually looked terrible in the preseason and regular season that’s why he didn’t get carries not because his coach was stubborn.

Of that entire list only one RB went on to have a "great" career.

ETA: I'm sure it's certainly possible for Jones to have 1 or 2 fantasy relevant seasons like some of those other RBs. I would put my money on that way more than I would a career like Melvin Gordon or Mark Ingram
Well, 3 of the guys on the list are still playing in the NFL, so their careers aren't over.  I was just making a point that sometimes a player will have an awful rookie year, and still end up with a decent career (both in terms of actual NFL success, or in the case of Spiller in certain leagues, actual fantasy success).  I'm not making the claim that Jones is going to go on to have a "great" NFL career by any means.  But a few 1,000+ yard from scrimmage seasons could happen. 

Also, what's the deal with your PJ Masks avatar picture?  Yes, I have a 4 year old. 

I was just making a point that sometimes a player will have an awful rookie year, and still end up with a decent career
I think you could add guys like Ray Rice and Lesean McCoy to your list as well as they did not look all that great as rookies before becoming upper tier RBs as soon as year 2. However Jones was historically bad as a rookie to the point that he could not even get carries at the expense of journeyman level RBs (and sorry but the "stubborn" HC theory does not apply here). He looked horrible in the preseason and when he got in-season carries. A HC fighting for his job isn't going to choose an undrafted RB over his team's second round pick unless he absolutely has to.

I didn't like Jones as a prospect to be honest. He was far too slow to succeed at his size imo, and frankly given his game I don't think adding weight was a good thing for him. I can not rule out the possibility that he makes a big leap, but it would need to be a huge leap. On the positive side is that Baber and Ellington aren't exactly some insurmountable obstacles in front of him, but I'm not willing to bet on him.  

I would also make a slightly broader point. When highly drafted players fail in the NFL, it is usually not because they don't have the physical talent.

The NFL and its whole infrastructure of scouting and assessment is pretty good at figuring out which players have the requisite physical talent.

The problem is usually either:

a) mental, ie the player is not committed, or lazy, or selfish, or even plain dumb or whatever.... or

b) bad coaching - square pegs are put in round holes, players are not taught or managed well

What happens when players fail is that pundits and commentators say he was a bust, and he was always destined to fail. The reality is that how a player is coached and the system they play in is huge.

For example, Jared Goff looked terrible under Jeff Fisher. If Fisher had not been fired and had remained as the Rams coach for several more years I am reasonably sure Goff would be considered a bust. He just needed the right system and good coaching.

With Jones, I don't think it's physical. It may well be mental. He may well not be suited for the NFL. Some players just don't have the requisite desire, determination and discipline. But it may also have been bad coaching or the wrong system last year. 

I think the jury is still out. But this year he has great coaching and has no excuse, so we'll know soon enough.

Miro Z said:
I would also make a slightly broader point. When highly drafted players fail in the NFL, it is usually not because they don't have the physical talent.

The NFL and its whole infrastructure of scouting and assessment is pretty good at figuring out which players have the requisite physical talent.

a) mental, ie the player is not committed, or lazy, or selfish, or even plain dumb or whatever.... or

b) bad coaching - square pegs are put in round holes, players are not taught or managed well

What happens when players fail is that pundits and commentators say he was a bust, and he was always destined to fail. The reality is that how a player is coached and the system they play in is huge.

For example, Jared Goff looked terrible under Jeff Fisher. If Fisher had not been fired and had remained as the Rams coach for several more years I am reasonably sure Goff would be considered a bust. He just needed the right system and good coaching.

With Jones, I don't think it's physical. It may well be mental. He may well not be suited for the NFL. Some players just don't have the requisite desire, determination and discipline. But it may also have been bad coaching or the wrong system last year. 

I think the jury is still out. But this year he has great coaching and has no excuse, so we'll know soon enough.
I think you're missing #3- their physical gifts just dont translate to the NFL. Big fish in a little pond vs big fish in a big pond. 

Everyone is bigger and faster in the NFL. getting by in college based on raw athleticism doesnt always translate to the NFL.because everyone is athletic. Thay doesnt fall under bad coaching or mental. 

While I agree that Goff likely would not have improved nearly as much if he were being coached by FIsher and WIlliams I don't think it is a good comparison.

RB are very different than QB. Most RB if they are good will at least show some sort of spark when given the opportunity.

There have been plenty of RB who do not shine in their rookie seasons, in fact the rookie season is statistically the lowest performing season of a RBs first six seasons on average. However all of them at least showed something when they got a chance. Some of these RB have been buried by incumbants holding them back. A lot of them need to improve their pass protection to earn the coaches trust with their QB and thereby earn more playing time.

Jones barely got on the field and when he did he didn't show any reason why he should be out there.

Rashaad Penny couldn't take over the starting job for the Seahawks last year either, but at least he showed he can make plays. 

Miro Z said:

Jones coming out of college definitely had rumors around him that he was immature, difficult to work with and not committed to the sport. Now maybe his rookie year was a wake-up call and he changed. He added 12 pounds- now maybe that is muscle because he totally committed to his body or maybe it's not muscle and his lazy habits have continued. I am very skeptical here. 

Jones coming out of college definitely had rumors around him that he was immature, difficult to work with and not committed to the sport. Now maybe his rookie year was a wake-up call and he changed. He added 12 pounds- now maybe that is muscle because he totally committed to his body or maybe it's not muscle and his lazy habits have continued. I am very skeptical here. 
Damn, missed that. If I would have known that, I would have taken Chubb over him in the draft. Hopefully this past season was a wakeup call. If he doesn't get it together, he will be a part of the stat of 'average # of years in an NFL career'.

Damn, missed that. If I would have known that, I would have taken Chubb over him in the draft. Hopefully this past season was a wakeup call. If he doesn't get it together, he will be a part of the stat of 'average # of years in an NFL career'.
I think there's a hundred percent chance that he will be part of the stat of 'average # of years in an NFL career'.

(And about a 90 percent chance in a bad way.)

Just rumors- often they amount to nothing. I’m only inclined to fully believe them now after seeing how his rookie year went. He’s super young so he has that going for him- more room to mature.

Things I've come to accept about Ronald jones.

His speed isnt that special amongst his peers in the NFL.

His college tape was full of bad tackling.

Hes not very good at breaking tackles.

He was not mentally ready for the nfl and may never be.

His recent weight gain most likely wont improve his tackle breaking ability but will likely slow him down (a bit)  

He is a sell high candidate if the radar so much as blips 

Things I've come to accept about Ronald jones.

His speed isnt that special amongst his peers in the NFL.

His college tape was full of bad tackling.

Hes not very good at breaking tackles.

He was not mentally ready for the nfl and may never be.

His recent weight gain most likely wont improve his tackle breaking ability but will likely slow him down (a bit)  

He is a sell high candidate if the radar so much as blips 
Disagree here, he's a sunk cost at this point if you drafted him high.  If you own him you just ride it out, if he makes something of himself then great your patience paid off, if he continues on his current trajectory you cut bait after this year.  The amount you'd get for him from a "blip" isn't worth it.

Disagree here, he's a sunk cost at this point if you drafted him high.  If you own him you just ride it out, if he makes something of himself then great your patience paid off, if he continues on his current trajectory you cut bait after this year.  The amount you'd get for him from a "blip" isn't worth it.
Can sell him probably for a 2020 2nd, maybe even a projected high 2nd. I'd take that in a second if I had Jones. problem is no one wants to give up on a 1st round draft pick after 1 season like that. 3 months from now he could be only worth a 3rd, or worth nothing however 

I'd definitely think hard about it for a second, and if it was a high second I'd take it.  I just don't see him bring back that much at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread