What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Regardless of how Winston looked.

Ronald Jones looked explosive and thicker than his listed Height/Weight of 5'11" 208.

He looks completely different than he did his rookie year.

I'm not ignoring him.  I'm trusting 18 months of information over 1 performance.  He may start.  I have hard time believing he couldn't pass Barber on the depth chart, and yesterday just flipped the switch. 
You're ignoring solid reports from OTA's, training camp, preseason, and now regular season this year.  He looked like a different player yesterday.  :shrug:

Very happy with the showing late in that game. Glad I held him for now. He's way better than Barber. QB totally stinks but that won't hurt him in the long run. They will address that disaster either this coming draft or the one after that. Jones is a young 22. Stink next year with no QB, grab Trevor Lawrence with the #1 in 2021 and the Bucs will have fixed the colossal mistake they made 4 years ago.

You're ignoring solid reports from OTA's, training camp, preseason, and now regular season this year.  He looked like a different player yesterday.  :shrug:
To put this into perspective.

Ronald Jones in all of 2018 was given 23 carries FOR THE SEASON

Ronald Jones already has 13 carries in 2019 in the FIRST game

I wasn't a fan on what I saw in 2018 either, I didn't have any shares in RoJo last year.  I bought in this year based on what I'd heard out of TC and what I saw in the first pre-season game.

To everyone judging this kid (who was one of the youngest players to come into the league last year) off of 23 carries last year needs to write that off and look at his body of work this year as u/Grahamburn has said.

I am leery of any back in this backfield, but no denying that Jones had better stats in preseason, and can see how the team would want to get him in the starting role given his performance last game and their draft investment (a second round spend compared to their UDFA investment in Barber).

That said, what can we realistically expect in terms of upside? Obviously up to Jones to prove that he can be a pure lead back, but would imagine the team continues to platoon somewhat and cap any upside.  

RB3/Flex RB seems most viable -- are people expecting more?

PFF grades:

*RoJo 5th highest grade, very positive grades in running, receiving AND pass blocking (intensely curious how this bears up in All22). He did have only 4 PB snaps and 4 receiving snaps.

*Barber with negative grades in everything but pass block

What's encouraging to me is he's running noticeably tougher. Like it's something he's emphasizing. In fact, it's to the point RoJo is underplaying his escapability traits.

That's important to note because he's got the loose hips to exploit defenders in tight quarters. RoJo immediately reminded me of Jamal Charles when I first saw him. If RoJo can combine what he showed in week 1 with his natural escapability, we're going to have something.

Once he has some success, gains confidence, & loosens up, RoJo will have a much better chance to reach his ceiling.

I think unless you are desperate for a wr rojo is the best waiver pick up this week. Burning my number 1/3 waiver in two leagues on him. 

What's encouraging to me is he's running noticeably tougher. Like it's something he's emphasizing. In fact, it's to the point RoJo is underplaying his escapability traits.

That's important to note because he's got the loose hips to exploit defenders in tight quarters. RoJo immediately reminded me of Jamal Charles when I first saw him. If RoJo can combine what he showed in week 1 with his natural escapability, we're going to have something.

Once he has some success, gains confidence, & loosens up, RoJo will have a much better chance to reach his ceiling.
He's running noticeably tougher, partly because he's also beefed up in the off-season.

He came into the league and ended 2018 at 208 lbs.

He bulked up to 221 before training camp, and it's showing.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2019/07/more-big-talk-from-bigger-ronald-jones/

He's running noticeably tougher, partly because he's also beefed up in the off-season.

He came into the league and ended 2018 at 208 lbs.

He bulked up to 221 before training camp, and it's showing.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2019/07/more-big-talk-from-bigger-ronald-jones/
Gaining weight is a slippery slope, especially that much weight. Purposely gaining weight (or forcing weight on) rarely works out (lots of dynamics involved), especially for a skill player. And that's an EXTREME amount of weight for a relatively small player (if true). 13 pounds in one offseason will be made up mostly of water & fat. That said, I'm betting he's not 221 now (after camp). It looks like he's down to 210 - 212.

Anyway, RoJo looked really good & has a ton of headroom if he can incorporate all of his raw ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Malcolm Brown and Adrian Peterson might qualify in terms of priority RB pickups, but get why people are hyped about RoJo.
I can see the reasons but disagree. Brown played only 30% of the snaps so it seems gurley would have to be shut down for him to be startable, can't bank on tds every week. Peterson will give you some good games here and there but that line is bad. In my opinion Rojo has the clearest path to having real value. 

Edit: not what you want to see but I dont think Barber will hold off Jones for much longer

Barber starter with Rojo backing him up

Speaking Tuesday, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Peyton Barber remains the team's starting running back.

Ronald Jones severely out-produced Barber against the 49ers, but Barber still played more snaps and saw more targets. Third-down back Dare Ogunbowale also received more snaps and targets. Arians is going to make Jones prove himself over an extended sample size following his dreadful rookie year. Be that as it may, Jones is the only Bucs back with any fantasy juice whatsoever for Thursday's game against the Panthers.

RELATED: 

Dare Ogunbowale

, Peyton Barber

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Sep 10, 2019, 5:26 PM ET

RONALD JONESRB, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said to expect "increased carries" for Ronald Jones in Thursday's Week 2 game against the Panthers.

Rapoport confirmed that Peyton Barber will remain the Bucs' nominal starter (as previously alluded to by coach Bruce Arians), though Jones' arrow is undoubtedly pointing up after leading the team with 75 yards—more than he rushed for all of last season—in Sunday's Week 1 loss to San Francisco. Finally showing glimpses of the promise that made him a second-round pick in last year's draft, it's only a matter of time before Jones ascends to lead status in Tampa Bay. He should warrant interest as an RB3 Thursday night against a Panthers defense that was gashed for 166 rushing yards in last week's opener.

RELATED: 

Peyton Barber

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 12, 2019, 2:53 PM ET

I’m still in wait & see mode, but I have high hopes Barber is put out to pasture sooner than later. 

Redraft he’s my back of the bench BYE guy, so yeah - if he gradually gets more & more work that’s perfect.

in my dynasty league he’s developing into a fine piece / trade chip, and I’ve even received a couple (not awesome) offers, so I hope that train keeps on a-rollin. 

Glad I’ll get to watch him in prime time tonight. 

Snap Counts vs SF at home Week 1

Ronald Jones 22

Peyton Barber 25

and the Number 1 RB in terms of offensive snaps is...is...Dare Ogunbowale with 27. He was an UDFA in '17 and is now on his 4th NFL roster. His best year at Wisconsin was likely his Junior Year in 2015 with about 1200 combined yds, 36 receptions for 300 yds and a total of 8 TDs...hmmmmmm

That said RoJo had like 13/75 rushing I believe and was involved a little in the passing game too. 

Arians says Barber is going to start tonight, but they will play the "hot hand."
This seems like the exact same situation going on with the bills. Gore is still the "starter" for the bills over Singletary. It's basically coaches showing respect for veterans who work hard and to keep the young guys hungry. I could be wrong but Rojo and Singletary are going to have the majority of the touches this week and produce.

Still a half to play vs CAR, but 2 carries, 0 yards.

Seems like the same story for Jones. Some flashes, not enough to run away with the main job. 

Not saying Barber is -- he's fairly ineffective with 8/25.

Bottom line is that they both might be who we think they are: backs who aren't really showing anything and can't get going behind a poor line on more of a pass-first team.

Long season, anything can happen, but I just don't think there is fantasy value here in the backfield no matter who is toting the rock.

What a frusterating night. Thought barber looked ok but man i also thought he left a ton of yards on the field when he had open creases to the second level. Bucs are running the ball pretty dang well right now. If Jones ever got the 24 totes Barber got tonight... Look out. Doubt he will though, barring injury.

What a frusterating night. Thought barber looked ok but man i also thought he left a ton of yards on the field when he had open creases to the second level. Bucs are running the ball pretty dang well right now. If Jones ever got the 24 totes Barber got tonight... Look out. Doubt he will though, barring injury.
Luke kuechly tried to help but eventually he will get blocked. He destroyed barber most of the game until that one key block. 

Both Barber and Jones are da suck. What you saw from Barber tonight is his ceiling, 23 carries for 82 yards and a TD. 3.6 ypc and there's not many weeks he's scoring a TD. 1 catch for 7 yds, irrelevant in the passing game. Yes the volume is there but you're likely looking at 8 fppg in PPR most weeks

Ronald Jones rushed four times for nine yards in the Bucs' Week 2 win over the Panthers.

Jones wasn't targeted in the passing game. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday afternoon that Jones was due for "increased carries" following his promising Week 1, but the sophomore instead got utterly dominated for both touches and snaps by Peyton Barber. He was also out-snapped by Dare Ogunbowale. Jones apparently still isn't doing enough of the little things right for coach Bruce Arians. He will be back off the FLEX radar for next week's matchup with the Giants.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:41 AM ET

Yup. Swing and a miss by me. I thought after what he showed last week he would get more then 4 carries. Barber looked pretty bad besides his td run which was nice. Jones could end up having value but now it looks like it will be a long hold for that. On to the next bench churn for me.

Dare had one catch for 9 yards where he got the most out of it. He's the Bolden boy of TB. He plays special team and can fill in if Barber or Jones gets injured. Time to move on.

Barber whiffed on a blitz pickup up the middle so badly in the 4Q. I think it was 4th down also. That's going to look really bad on film. But we have to remember that this is Arians. Guy had David Johnson on the bench forever. All the kid did was score touchdowns anytime he touched the ball but still had to wait for injuries to get his chance even though everyone and their dead grandmother knew he was the best back on the team.

Looked to me like Jones hurt himself on his last carry. It was his good run, he got up funny and took himself out of the the game. He did not return.
Exactly how I saw it.  He got up, was wincing a bit and gingerly jogged off the field.  I think that explains the heavy usage of Barber.  And btw Barber SUCKED on pass pro.  Missed several key blocks and got Winston blown up in one in particular where he literally just fell to the ground while the defender ran pst him.  

Skeletore Eh said:
RONALD JONESRB, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said to expect "increased carries" for Ronald Jones in Thursday's Week 2 game against the Panthers.

Rapoport confirmed that Peyton Barber will remain the Bucs' nominal starter (as previously alluded to by coach Bruce Arians), though Jones' arrow is undoubtedly pointing up after leading the team with 75 yards—more than he rushed for all of last season—in Sunday's Week 1 loss to San Francisco. Finally showing glimpses of the promise that made him a second-round pick in last year's draft, it's only a matter of time before Jones ascends to lead status in Tampa Bay. He should warrant interest as an RB3 Thursday night against a Panthers defense that was gashed for 166 rushing yards in last week's opener.

RELATED: 

Peyton Barber

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 12, 2019, 2:53 PM ET
Nailed it...........

Going forward is he worth a roster spot? 

Would you rather have him or Breida for the rest of the season in PPR. Asking for a friend 😉

Users who are viewing this thread