What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas backfield with Zeke on suspension...Is it McFadden or Morris? (2 Viewers)

Saboo

Footballguy
I know this is the fantasy question of the week, but can anyone (maybe some Dallas homers) shed some light on the Dallas backfield?

It seems VERY likely that Elliot is going to miss time starting in week seven...With that in mind how are the Cowboy’s going to use their backfield? Will it be Darren McFadden as some reporters have mentioned https://twitter.com/BryanBroaddus/status/918938965188558849  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/10/13/replacing-zeke-alfred-morris-darren-mcfadden or will it be Morris who gets the majority of touches? https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/10/12/16466994/why-alfred-morris-can-save-the-day-if-the-cowboys-lose-ezekiel-elliott

I personally have no idea how it will workout, but I do think McFadden is the better fit. That said Morris is the guy who has been active all year.  Can anyone clarify this situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
65/35 split Mcfadden/Morris that could change either way in a heart beat depending on how they look.

I know this is the fantasy question of the week, but can anyone (maybe some Dallas homers) shed some light on the Dallas backfield?

It seems VERY likely that Elliot is going to miss time starting in week seven...With that in mind how are the Cowboy’s going to use their backfield? Will it be Darren McFadden as some reporters have mentioned https://twitter.com/BryanBroaddus/status/918938965188558849  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/10/13/replacing-zeke-alfred-morris-darren-mcfadden or will it be Morris who gets the majority of touches? https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/10/12/16466994/why-alfred-morris-can-save-the-day-if-the-cowboys-lose-ezekiel-elliott

I personally have no idea how it will workout, but I do think McFadden is the better fit. That said Morris is the guy who has been active all year.  Can anyone clarify this situation?
There are a ton of opinions in the Elliott thread.

tl/dr - noone KNOWS what's going to happen . 

Imo McFadden is the back to own, I own Zeke in a league, I also own McFadden 

I would only stash or avoid this backfield, depending on your bench size. This isn't the same Dallas offensive line and Zeke hasn't looked great behind it this year, I don't see either back being much more than a flex guy since neither guy is as talented as Zeke. 

I would only stash or avoid this backfield, depending on your bench size. This isn't the same Dallas offensive line and Zeke hasn't looked great behind it this year, I don't see either back being much more than a flex guy since neither guy is as talented as Zeke. 
yeah this is where i stand. i own mcfadden and i may cut for Breida. imo McFadden 2 series to Morris 1. or vice versa. either way when you figure 6-7 or so series a game... not worth owning either of them

Having seen what both backs have done with the ball in their careers, and I think while McFadden gets the start, it’s Morris who eventually takes the job.

I’ve always liked McFadden, and thought he had talent, but it’s never really translated to reliable production. Alternately, while Morris seems to me more of a north south runner than DMac, he’s actually been able to carry a 2 down back role and has been more solid and dependable in that role than McFadden has.

It’s all up for grabs for sure; my money is in Morris though.

Morris has looked like a different player this year. In fact, he looks reminiscent of his early days in Washington. 

I actually think Morris starts over McFadden from the beginning, but either way, my money is on Morris becoming their feature back while Zeke is out.

Will Brinson put this quote on Twitter from Adam Schefter about the Dallas rb situation...If this quote is to believed (not sure where its from) Schefter seems to think that the Cowboys will go with McFadden in Zeke’s absence.

"I think the feeling inside the organization is that Darren McFadden is the guy they’re going to lean on.” - @AdamSchefter on Cowboys RBs

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/919574469789868033

Will Brinson put this quote on Twitter from Adam Schefter about the Dallas rb situation...If this quote is to believed (not sure where its from) Schefter seems to think that the Cowboys will go with McFadden in Zeke’s absence.

"I think the feeling inside the organization is that Darren McFadden is the guy they’re going to lean on.” - @AdamSchefter on Cowboys RBs

Hard to ignore Scheffter.

After he stood firm that NE wouldn't trade Jimmy G. I have a hard time not believing this guy.

Most reporters know nothing and are just trying to create buzz and stories.

Schefter to me is the only one who has true information.
I’m surprised this isn’t getting more attention. Scheffer’s word is usually taken as gospel in fantasy circles.

It's not so much who they start next week, but who produces. My money is on Morris at this point in McFadden's career.

The tiebreaker for me is Morris seems rejuvenated for whatever reason. It could certainly go either way, though.

Most reporters know nothing and are just trying to create buzz and stories.

Schefter to me is the only one who has true information.
He has no info.  He said he "thinks" they'll lean in DMC; no source.  In the same article, he said he also thinks they'll lean on Morris.  So what true information are we to believe: that he thinks they'll lean on DMC, or that he thinks they'll lean on Morris?

Posted in the other thread, but from the same article, Schefter also said he thinks they'll lean on Morris.  He doesn't have any inside source; he's speculating, and he hedged his bets by saying they'll lean on both guys.

But it will be a totally different situation.  When Zeke is on the field, he is the marked man.  When it's MoriFadden, there wont be stacked boxes or run keys, it's a totally different look. The offense will be different, as will the defensive looks that the offense see's ..   Then end result should be double coverage for Bryant, and no safety in the box. 

There will be running lanes, definitely worth a stash...

He has no info.  He said he "thinks" they'll lean in DMC; no source.  In the same article, he said he also thinks they'll lean on Morris.  So what true information are we to believe: that he thinks they'll lean on DMC, or that he thinks they'll lean on Morris?
Run DMC making a comeback.  

But it will be a totally different situation.  When Zeke is on the field, he is the marked man.  When it's MoriFadden, there wont be stacked boxes or run keys, it's a totally different look. The offense will be different, as will the defensive looks that the offense see's ..   Then end result should be double coverage for Bryant, and no safety in the box. 

There will be running lanes, definitely worth a stash...
I said just a stash, but I wouldn't cut a person with value for them. All those stacked boxes and such might be true, but DMC isn't going to get all the carries like Zeke did either. He will be lucky to get 70 percent of Zeke's production.

I said just a stash, but I wouldn't cut a person with value for them. All those stacked boxes and such might be true, but DMC isn't going to get all the carries like Zeke did either. He will be lucky to get 70 percent of Zeke's production.
That's not to shabby. 70% of zekes production would put him at RB#16. You figure most people paid nothing for him and are hoping for 6 weeks of a solid flex player. That would be a huge win if he does reach that high of production. 

Their OC said that they were preparing to start Morris week 1 if Zeke was unavailable. They said that he earned the start over McFadden by impressing the coaches during camp and the preseason. Considering that Morris has been productive with the few touches he has been given, and the fact that Morris has been active, and McFadden has been a healthy scratch every single game this year. I don't see any reason why they would all of the sudden switch back to McFadden being their guy.

If this is a Harris Poll, I'll go with Darren McFadden. It'll probably be a timeshare though, where both could be a RB 3 or 4. I like McFadden a lot more in PPR... standard they are probably equal.

Schefter usually has a good pulse on team management.  But it's still a guess.  I wouldn't doubt him.

Regardless of who starts, the feature back job will go to whoever produces. I don't think McFadden, at 30 years old, can hold off a rejuvenated Morris. 

Morris looked very good in preseason & busted off a long run on one of his few carries during regular season action. If I had to guess how it'll end up, I'd say Morris as the feature back & McFadden the 3rd down/CoP back.

Either way, the right guy could help FF teams make a playoff push.

Regardless of who starts, the feature back job will go to whoever produces. I don't think McFadden, at 30 years old, can hold off a rejuvenated Morris.
For what it's worth...

McFadden: 30.1 years old; 102 games, 1301 carries, 4.2 career YPC (3.6 last year, 5.1 in preseason this year)

Morris: 28.8 years old; 81 games, 1155 carries, 4.4 career YPC (3.5 last year, 5.3 in preseason this year)

Slight edge to Morris but it's damn close.

For what it's worth...

McFadden: 30.1 years old; 102 games, 1301 carries, 4.2 career YPC (3.6 last year, 5.1 in preseason this year)

Morris: 28.8 years old; 81 games, 1155 carries, 4.4 career YPC (3.5 last year, 5.3 in preseason this year)

Slight edge to Morris but it's damn close.
Agreed, but my main point is it's not about who starts week 7. Regardless of their initial plans, the RB who plays the best will be their feature back.

i realize that's not revolutionary, but it's important to note because the book may not be written after week 7.

I think it's finally time.

Was there ever any resolution to this? There have been continuous conflicting reports on who starts. One DMN article I recall was from Week 1 which stated that per a quote from one of the assistant coaches the team was preparing Morris to start.

No one KNOWS.  There were reports from a few sources saying they were preparing Morris to start; he earned the backup role, etc.  You have experts saying they expect DMC to be the guy, despite those reports.  

Whay I expect to happen is a RBBC, with one guy getting 60% of the touches & 1 guy getting 40% (give or take on the %’s).  DMC should get more catches, though.  Personally, i think Morris will get the larger share of the carries.

I'm in the predicament of having to start one guy this week.  Unless I see something compelling to the contrary, it will be Morris this week.  I think even if there's a split, he's more likely to get the GL looks and is more likely to be in "game shape" considering DMC has been inactive all year.  Going forward, I'd stash both if you can hack it until we see how it plays out on the field.

I've been saying DMC all along. Sticking with it. 

Actually starting him in 1 this wk because I don't have much choice

:shock:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Alfred Morris will be the No. 1 running back while Ezekiel Elliott is suspended.

It makes sense considering Morris has been active ahead of Darren McFadden to this point in the season, but Jones did say both McFadden and Rod Smith will have roles. Morris is the best bet of the bunch, but McFadden is worth a speculative add in all leagues as well while Smith is worth a look in deep formats.
https://giant.gfycat.com/WigglyLinedCollardlizard.gif

I kind of like the sneaky Smith play
Thinking Morris starts, and Smith slowly takes over the next couple of weeks.  Go from 55% Morris to 55% Smith.  I don’t think McFadden sees more than 15 or 20% or the snaps ever unless an injury occurs 

How long can Morris hold the job though? What % will he get?
Why wouldn't he keep it throughout the suspension? He's been a very capable RB under a mobile QB (first two years of RGIII) with a much worse O-line. Not unreasonable to think even with negative game script he'd get 60-65% of the work. 

EDIT: Assuming Morris is actually the #1 RB. Jones doesn't know what he wants sometimes.

Why wouldn't he keep it throughout the suspension? He's been a very capable RB under a mobile QB (first two years of RGIII) with a much worse O-line.

Not unreasonable to think even with negative game script he'd get 60-65% of the work. 
That was a few years ago. He doesn't catch passes. I'm not saying he can't, I am unsure about what direction the backfield goes. 

That was a few years ago. He doesn't catch passes. I'm not saying he can't, I am unsure about what direction the backfield goes. 
IMHO I'm just going by what I have seen last year and looking at him this season. Still can run, still somewhat tough to bring down, and at the very least he isn't stone-handed anymore. Not saying he's Reggie Bush now, but he can at least catch a dumpoff now as opposed to his Washington days.

I think Morris has always been undervalued even going back to his days at Washington. When things get blocked up, he gets chunks of yards. Btw....Dallas can block. Of course I have WW spot #1 and Alfred is out there. I may be partial. ?

I'd say Morris without a doubt gets first crack. Probably gets 70% of the carries too. Likely see McFadden on 3rd downs, though that isn't a lock. Its very concerning to me that they have felt comfortable not having McFadden on the active roster this season. Possible Morris gets a chance to be a 3-down RB, but I suspect if that happens, the leash will be short so to speak.

Neither Morris or McFadden play on special teams, so if DMC was really the #2 why wouldn't he be dressing instead of Morris?

(Yeah, I'm a biased Morris owner as of 12:48pm Sunday  :P  but that's why I went with him over DMC)

I have DMC only for PPR upside but now regret it.  I bought in to the DMC kool-aid a bit but in my heart of hearts it really didn't make a lot of sense this year.  Morris is out there so I might go for him but it would have to be at the expense of DMC.

The exact quote..

Jerry Jones on @1053thefan said Alfred Morris will get more carries but Darren McFadden and Rod Smith will get more work too.
Morris being the starter is likely just a formality. It will be a RBBC.

I might pick up Smith in deeper leagues for ####s.

Users who are viewing this thread