What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL Folly (1 Viewer)

Streetduck

Footballguy
OK gents I just read a long topic where a guy felt cheated and the majority went against him. So totally unrelated something went against me today and I'd like the public opinion. I put in a blind bid waiver request on Thursday for Darren McFadden and listed a Carolina player to drop a couple hours before the game started, he was not only not in my lineup but hasn't been once this year. The waivers didn't process until early Saturday morning and I lost the bid even though My bid was higher than the winning bidder ( who happened to be the commish) because Carolina played Thursday night so my bid was cancelled out. I was never notified of a cancelled bid yet it was. Not knowing this as MFL website doesn't reflect this I asked why I wasn't awarded the player despite a higher bid. Below was the response

"I believe your waiver claim did not go through because the player you  set up to be dropped HAD PLAYED on Thursday. So when waivers ran on Saturday, the claim was invalid (player to be dropped had played his game). Otherwise, you would have won him with the highest bid amount." 

I was not aware this would happen and again received no notification that it had. My question is am I wrong for thinking I should have been awarded the player or at least notified of a cancelled bid. The commish who won McFadden is keeping him and appears to have no issue with the fact he got him under these pretenses, and basically said your in first place and undefeated why are you complaining. Am I wrong for thinking this or should he do like I would and say he's yours as this was a screwed up situation?

Thread to which I refer is a trade but similar in principle I believe.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/761527-i-think-this-one-takes-the-cake-my-trade-vetoed-by-lame-commish/

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless waivers normally run on Thursday and were delayed inexplicably, not sure you have a case.

If waivers normally run on Saturday, it stands to reason that Thursday players couldn't be added or dropped.  Most sites other than yahoo that I know of run the same way, and imo yahoo has truly messed up waiver exploits.

You should know your waiver rules and calendar, and if you were unsure, a quick email to your commish would have been in order.  "Am I allowed to drop Thursday players after the game" isn't going to give away any competitive advantage, but would have given you fair warning.  For that matter, the same email to mfl support would have netted you an answer by Friday evening without tipping off anyone in your league that you were planning a move.

Gees, is this your first year? You can't drop a player whose game is over until next week. It's like that everywhere. You're definitely wrong.

I believe most leagues run their waivers before the following weeks games start.  So the problem may be the waiver system/dates your league is using.  I would say you should bring up for next year that waivers run before the Thursday game.  But in this particular case I would imagine you don't have a case.

Correct. This one is easy. Your waiver was invalid based on the waiver rules setup. Tough lesson to learn but I'll bet you won't make that mistake again.

Don't know if the MFL site allows this, but on CBS you can drop a player at any time prior to them playing that week.  No guaranty you'll get the free agent you want, but that's how you can avoid this issue on CBS.

Yes, OP could have dropped said Carolina player during the day Thursday, thus clearing a spot for his waiver claim add to jump into when waivers ran Saturday morning. Only way to do it under the current waiver timeline setup.

Streetduck said:
should he do like I would and say he's yours as this was a screwed up situation?

Then you would both be wrong.

You have a rules problem. You waivers run after a game has already been played in the week.  That locks out all players in that game unless your commish toggles the rule choice that doesn’t lock them out, which opens a much larger problem IMO.

As far as I can see, you’re the one who messed up.  And expecting the commish to reward you for it doesn’t sound like a good solution to me.

Every league I’ve ever played in had players get locked if they played the Thursday game regardless of wether they’re in your active lineup or not (and if they have or haven’t been all year  is irrelevant). 

Simply put, you made a mistake. Others have suggested that not ever league locks players who played on Thursday. Ok, fine. But it is 100% up to you to know waiver rules for your league.

The amount you bid is also moot because your transaction couldn’t be processed as entered. That’s your bad. Dude who claimed him has every right to keep him because he clearly followed the rules and designated a non-locked player to drop in his transaction. 

Its never fun to make mistakes, but it is a good lesson for you about how your league’s waivers work. 

Then you would both be wrong.

You have a rules problem. You waivers run after a game has already been played in the week.  That locks out all players in that game unless your commish toggles the rule choice that doesn’t lock them out, which opens a much larger problem IMO.

As far as I can see, you’re the one who messed up.  And expecting the commish to reward you for it doesn’t sound like a good solution to me.
Exactly.  It is pretty stupid that waivers run on Saturday though.

Exactly.  It is pretty stupid that waivers run on Saturday though.
My leagues have waivers run daily except Sunday and Monday. 

If a player gets dropped Thursday, why lock them up through Tuesday? That’s ridiculous - if they don’t play on Thursday I see no reason they shouldn’t be available for pickup on Saturday PM/Sunday AM.  

If a player gets dropped Thursday, why lock them up through Tuesday? That’s ridiculous - if they don’t play on Thursday I see no reason they shouldn’t be available for pickup on Saturday PM/Sunday AM.  
It appeared his league waivers only ran once - Saturday.  If accurate, that is really dumb when there are Thursday games.  Pretty sure you knew that though if you read the thread.  No clue why you would debate something this common sense.

A lot of leagues have gone to a Blind Bid system for FAs. That way every team starts out with an equal chance of acquiring any FA.  That’s why dropped guys get locked - so every team has an equal shot at them.

Your league rewards the guys who hang out on the internet the most - unless it’s a daily BB which I have not seen in action yet. It’s your league and if that’s what you guys want, that’s cool.  But other leagues like mine prefer a different method than yours.  It doesn’t make either league more right or more wrong.  Just different philosophies.

A lot of leagues have gone to a Blind Bid system for FAs. That way every team starts out with an equal chance of acquiring any FA.  That’s why dropped guys get locked - so every team has an equal shot at them.

Your league rewards the guys who hang out on the internet the most - unless it’s a daily BB which I have not seen in action yet. It’s your league and if that’s what you guys want, that’s cool.  But other leagues like mine prefer a different method than yours.  It doesn’t make either league more right or more wrong.  Just different philosophies.
I wasn’t judging based on waiver style. Just sayin it’s not unusual for a waiver (of whatever style) to run on a Thursday or Friday. 

Settle down now. lol

Saturday waivers is the issue here. Both leagues I am in, both Dynasty leagues run the WW on Wednesday night then it’s FCFS through kickoff of the Monday night game, with all players being locked at kickoff of their respective games. 

voiceofunreason said:
Gees, is this your first year? You can't drop a player whose game is over until next week. It's like that everywhere. You're definitely wrong.
No I'm not I was looking for constructive opinions, thanks for yours anyway.

I wasn’t judging based on waiver style. Just sayin it’s not unusual for a waiver (of whatever style) to run on a Thursday or Friday. 

Settle down now. lol
I came here to see if I was looking at this wrong and I was, I'm cool with that. To me it's gotta be easy enough for MFL to send a notice or have a warning pop up saying this player plays before the waiver will be executed "Warning invalid entry" it does that for lineups as I've had that happen. I'll send them a request. Anyway as mentioned before lesson learned.

I came here to see if I was looking at this wrong and I was, I'm cool with that. To me it's gotta be easy enough for MFL to send a notice or have a warning pop up saying this player plays before the waiver will be executed "Warning invalid entry" it does that for lineups as I've had that happen. I'll send them a request. Anyway as mentioned before lesson learned.
That would be nice, I agree - I did that myself once and missed a good player because of it. 

Luckily it sounds like DMC is an albatross since apparently the suspension is still on hold. So really this saved you some FA $. 

A) You're wrong

B) Your league is set up wrong. Waivers should be processed before ALL games are played that week. Wednesdays seem to be the norm. Saturday is absolutely ridiculous.

My league has waivers run on Wednesdays at 6pm, and then it's free agency until each player's team plays that week when they lock. So, if a player gets dropped on a Thursday, he's immediately available to be picked up by any team for $1.

1. Was the process run following your league rules?

2.  Are your league rules posted for all to read?

If yes to both - your bad. No one should have to 'notify' you of rules. 

Expensive lesson...but you should have known, but you didn't, and there is really no fair way to back out the whole waiver process....tough break, but good for future reference

You are right that MFL is a folly and sucks, but for the wrong reason. This is totally on your league for running waivers on Saturday, especially with Thursday night games every week. What if you or anyone else wanted to pick up a guy that was playing on Thursday?

To me it's gotta be easy enough for MFL to send a notice or have a warning pop up saying this player plays before the waiver will be executed "Warning invalid entry" it does that for lineups as I've had that happen. I'll send them a request. Anyway as mentioned before lesson learned.
I tried to swap out Dalton for Wentz week 2, but Dalton had already played Thursday night. MFL wouldn't accept it because he had already played. The only distinction vs your situation was that I was doing it as free agent vs waiver, but you would think it would operate same. My guess is that, because you entered the claim before the player played/locked, the system didn't know yet that it was an invalid entry, therefore unable to warn you.

They don't allow this because you could wait and see if a lottery ticket looks good Thurs night, then dump him for another waiver lottery ticket playing on Sunday if he doesn't pan out. It gives you basically a floating free roster spot if they allow this. 

This was your mistake.

In short, this is an error from the OP.  There is an MFL commish setting in the General Add/Drop functionality that allows this to work either way.

Prevent Owners From Making ANY Add/Drops Between Kickoff of that player's game and the end of the last game of the week? Yes or No

Your league would have this set to YES.....and this is visible to all players under the RULES, LEAGUE SETTINGS menus so it's on the OP to know this.

That said, all of my leagues have this set as NO because with the way the NFL is structured with games from Thursday to Monday, we give our teams as much flexibility as possible. This method only becomes an issue if you started the player who played on Thursday night.  Once you drop him you would be unable to set another lineup say on Sat or Sunday morning because you don't have that previously started player on your roster.

I really didn't want to bring this dead horse back up but there are some new wrinkles. Turns out I was right to begin with, sort of. The commish who is the team that picked up McFadden sent me a message stating that he did further research and found out that my waiver bid would have passed every year up until this year. The settings were changed this last off season so it wasn't a first year player mistake on my part like some may think. (I knew I had done this before) I really don't want to hear a bunch more reasons why this is a stupid rule or why we shouldn't have Saturday waivers, it is what it is and that can be addressed later. The reason I bring it back up is the commish has done a very honorable thing and sent me a trade offer for McFadden for the waiver price he paid for McFadden. I won't accept that offer I already know that. The question is should I counter for the price I bid for McFadden or should I just thank him and reject the trade. After reading the majority of sincere responses I received I probably should not have made this mistake to begin with even tho I had been able to do this in previous years. What say you? Please concentrate on the question and not the rule. Thanks

I also found out that if I had put this claim in after the Thursday game I would have received an error message but since the claim was before the game there was no such error message.

"I believe your waiver claim did not go through because the player you  set up to be dropped HAD PLAYED on Thursday. So when waivers ran on Saturday, the claim was invalid (player to be dropped had played his game). Otherwise, you would have won him with the highest bid amount." 
This is the way waivers work in most leagues and it's the default on MFL - you can't drop a guy that already played. I'm sure you can see why that would be the case?

Yes understood, again looking for the right thing to do since I have explained that this did work until this year in my league. It was MFL that changed whatever setting where it is no longer even possible. It wasn't a rule change in our league so should I trade for the player that I would have won every year up til this year or should I let him go?

Wow I guess if there nothing to criticize or people can't make themselves feel smarter by beating someone else up then there's no reason to comment. Plenty of people willing to tell me how wrong I was or how stupid my league rules are but nobody willing to give advice that doesn't accomplish one of the fore mentioned goals.. So typical, for those of you that gave good constructive opinions thanks again. For all those in the other category just keep on making yourself feel superior with whatever works for you. You know who you are. See ya!

Wow I guess if there nothing to criticize or people can't make themselves feel smarter by beating someone else up then there's no reason to comment. Plenty of people willing to tell me how wrong I was or how stupid my league rules are but nobody willing to give advice that doesn't accomplish one of the fore mentioned goals.. So typical, for those of you that gave good constructive opinions thanks again. For all those in the other category just keep on making yourself feel superior with whatever works for you. You know who you are. See ya!
There's nothing really to comment on. It's not even really and ethical matter at this point. Do what you feel is right - just like the commish seems to be doing.

Personally I'd let him keep McFadden - and it all my years with MFL you could never drop a guy that's already played to pick some one else up.

I agree with Doc Oc.......do what you feel is right with regard to the trade offer you received from the commish.

Not everyone is on now that were on earlier....fyi...this is no way to seek insight. 

To me it's gotta be easy enough for MFL to send a notice or have a warning pop up saying this player plays before the waiver will be executed "Warning invalid entry" it does that for lineups as I've had that happen. I'll send them a request.
Good idea.  To me an obvious and fairly easy enhancement for MDL to implement.

This is the way waivers work in most leagues and it's the default on MFL - you can't drop a guy that already played. I'm sure you can see why that would be the case?

Yes understood, again looking for the right thing to do since I have explained that this did work until this year in my league. It was MFL that changed whatever setting where it is no longer even possible. It wasn't a rule change in our league so should I trade for the player that I would have won every year up til this year or should I let him go?
This is a commish setting.  It's called "lock player after his game has kicked off" or something in the Waivers section.  If your league does not intend to do this (we do not, although for obvious reasons you can't drop or trade a guy that was in the starting lineup, or trade for someone and retro-actively  put him in the lineup) then you need to talk to your commissioner.

Users who are viewing this thread