What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hit on Rodgers dirty? (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
I have always leaned toward football is football and injuries happen.

I hate GB but What bothers me about the hit on Rodgers or other QBs after they throw the ball is why the defensive player knowing the ball has been released has to pile drive the QB into the turf when a simple shove or tackle would suffice.  The Rodgers hit seemed way above what was needed.  

no....wasn't late and wasn't particularly rough. Rogers just landed wrong on that shoulder.

Looked like a legal hit to me. 

What was horrible, was that FOX ran the "BREAKING NEWS" ticker across the bottom of all the afternoon games as if the President had been shot. What about all the other players that got hurt today, or this season? Why the special treatment for Rodgers? Seems like something ESPN would do.

I'd say not dirty, but definitely unnecessary.  Let's be honest, the reason Barr hit him after the fact was to "send a message".  So while the play may not be dirty, the intent may have been.  

On a related note, the NFL is losing a ton of stars to injuries this year.  Face of the league players (Rodgers, Watt, DJ, Odell, etc.)  That certainly won't add to the declining TV ratings.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much identical landing to when Romo broke his collarbone years ago. You land on your shoulders and that kind of thing can happen.

own Rodgers in dynasty and redraft and didn't really consider the play dirty.  just bad luck.  needs to see that Carson Palmer Navy Seal Advisor to learn how to fall.

In the two leagues I own him it was a dirty hit and the player should be banned for life IMO.

In the others it's just football.

Wasn’t bad.  Sure he could have just given him the shove.  But hardmaking that decision in those fractions of a second nd real time.

I wouldn’t want Packers players flagged for fines for a hit like that.

I traded Rodgers away 2 weeks ago. 

I thought it was unnecessary. Ball was away and he took a couple extra steps to wrap and drive. Surprised it wasn't a flag in this day and age.

Definitely late and unnecessary.
Clean and totally legal.  All hits are necessary, it's football.  There should never be a play where a player does not go full out and play as physical as possible within the rules, never, ever.

Not the most blatant dirty hit I have ever seen, but it was late, it did involve a wrap up and drive to the ground when the player could have pulled up, and when he definitely knew the ball was gone.  It was meant as typical Minnesota chipiness, but the result was unfortunate.  The hit was meant to intimidate and cause Rodgers pause, not to injure, but it was late.

I don’t blame a guy for putting a little extra juice on a hit to the other teams QB within the rules. Happens all the time. Wouldn’t go as far as to say it was dirty.

Not the most blatant dirty hit I have ever seen, but it was late, it did involve a wrap up and drive to the ground when the player could have pulled up, and when he definitely knew the ball was gone.  It was meant as typical Minnesota chipiness, but the result was unfortunate.  The hit was meant to intimidate and cause Rodgers pause, not to injure, but it was late.
intimidation is part of the game, physical play is part of the game, hard hits are part of the game.  He didn't hit him in the knee, head, or pick him up and drop him.  Could he have held up, sure, but why would anyone ever hold up when facing Rogers?  Letting up on Rogers guarantees that you lose the game.

Charles martin, of the famed dirtiest hit in NFL history, says it wasn't dirty.  Ironically almost to the day.  Karma.

Not dirty, the result just sucked. I don't blame Rodgers for being frustrated and chirping on his way off the field. I'm certain I'd be angry as well. 

However, Barr certainly ain't helping his cause by headbutting a wide receiver later in the game. Perhaps that dirty player label may be appropriate?

intimidation is part of the game, physical play is part of the game, hard hits are part of the game.  He didn't hit him in the knee, head, or pick him up and drop him.  Could he have held up, sure, but why would anyone ever hold up when facing Rogers?  Letting up on Rogers guarantees that you lose the game.
And late hits when the ball is away and landing full force on top of the Q.B. is not hard, or physical paly, it is chippy at best and dirty at the worst.

I see that type of hit all the time. It's hard to prove intent but I don't think Barr meant to injure him. It may have been a little late but not illegal.  He just had bad luck the way he landed and Barr landing on him doesn't help.

Not dirty, the result just sucked. I don't blame Rodgers for being frustrated and chirping on his way off the field. I'm certain I'd be angry as well. 

However, Barr certainly ain't helping his cause by headbutting a wide receiver later in the game. Perhaps that dirty player label may be appropriate?
And then didn’t Barr end up with a concussion later?

Why would that be considered dirty?  Nothing wrong with that other than Rodgers just happening to land wrong.  Geez, this is football isn’t it?

What was horrible, was that FOX ran the "BREAKING NEWS" ticker across the bottom of all the afternoon games as if the President had been shot. What about all the other players that got hurt today, or this season? Why the special treatment for Rodgers? Seems like something ESPN would do.
#BlackLivesMatter

Clean hit. Defensive players are supposed to beat up the QB when they get the opportunity to do so. Nothing dirty about that at all.

Can't tackle QB below the waist, or above the shoulders, or when he might not have the ball anymore. Should we really keep pretending or should we just put flags on them and face reality?

It is a football program and the top QB in the league just got knocked out for the season. I think that deserves a ticker. 

I think that Rodgers is the best QB in football.

But he also runs very aggressively and is the first to cry for a flag whenever any defender makes contact. :cry:

So I don't have much sympathy for him, though I will miss his great play.

no....wasn't late and wasn't particularly rough. Rogers just landed wrong on that shoulder.
I disagree.  It was unnecessary because the defender rode him to the ground and landed on top of Rodgers. There was no reason to land on him unless he was trying to inflict extra punishment to Rodgers.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
This

skinsrule05 said:
It is a football program and the top QB in the league just got knocked out for the season. I think that deserves a ticker. 
Does it deserve a special ticker? This wasnt the same one they use for everything else.

Im glad they used it. Otherwise I never would have known Rodgers got hurt.

:sarcasm:

Hit was a bit late and he did the "dead fish" thing at the end to land on Rodgers as hard as he could.   A little dirty.  

Does it deserve a special ticker? This wasnt the same one they use for everything else.

Im glad they used it. Otherwise I never would have known Rodgers got hurt.

:sarcasm:
I noticed after Watt got hurt they cut to a camera in the tunnel watching medical staff examine him. I thought it had a weird "OJ white Bronco" vibe to it...

If a player on anyone's favorite NFL team made that hit.....they'd be saying it's just football. 
This.

And if roughly 26 other starting QB got knocked out on a similar hit, they'd be saying the same thing.

Rodgers was already one of the most protected players in the entire league. I pity the poor defensive lineman who dares hit him first after his return.

In real time I thought the defender was a hair late.  And after watching the in-game replay, the extra effort to make sure he landed directly on top of Rodgers is supposed to be flagged.

I noticed after Watt got hurt they cut to a camera in the tunnel watching medical staff examine him. I thought it had a weird "OJ white Bronco" vibe to it...
Yeah, but that was the broadcast of the game. At least you assume those watching have an interest in Watt's well being. Fox blasted theirs across every game. I wonder if they even did it on Fox affilliates that werent carrying a game? And why didnt CBS do the same?

When i saw it the first time, i thought there was actual breaking news (North Korea bombed Guam or Trump being impeached)

Users who are viewing this thread