What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

EQUIFAX fallout - freeze your credit reports (1 Viewer)

cosjobs

Footballguy
Oliver on Equifax

Last Week Tonight ✔@LastWeekTonight

To freeze your credit report with Equifax, go here: https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp …

10:34 PM - Oct 15, 2017

104104 Replies

767767 Retweets

1,8271,827 likes

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Follow

To freeze your credit report with TransUnion, go here: https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp …

2929 Replies

724724 Retweets

1,7091,709 likes

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Follow

To freeze your credit report with Experian, go here:https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze …

Took me about an hour to do me and my wife's freezes on all three

Equifax is free and will generate a code number for you on a pdf you view/print at the end

Transunion makes you join, then charges $10. You create your own pin

Experian - $10.83 charge

Took me about an hour to do me and my wife's freezes on all three

Equifax is free and will generate a code number for you on a pdf you view/print at the end

Transunion makes you join, then charges $10. You create your own pin

Experian - $10.83 charge
Freezing the credit reports do what exactly? 

And how long does that last for? Does the $10 cover you indefinitely? 
Its frozen until you unfreeze it (which you will need to do if you want to buy home, car, or get a credit card). 

You unfreeze with your pin, then you can re-freeze and I assume they will charge you again, but unsure

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if/when someone buys a car with my info and then disappears with said car and they come looking for me can I sue Equifax?

When you freeze it, does your credit score stay the same forever or just eventually go down?

What happens if your current CC, mortgage holder, etc wants to update your standing with them (good or bad)? Are they unable to do that?

When you freeze it, does your credit score stay the same forever or just eventually go down?

What happens if your current CC, mortgage holder, etc wants to update your standing with them (good or bad)? Are they unable to do that?
The credit agencies still get all your info and adjust your score accordingly. They just can't release it without your input.

Anyone you already have a relationship with has full access to your info despite the freeze.

Has anyone tried to unfreeze their credit report with Experian?  It's impossible to deal with this company.

Did you get your unfreeze code when you froze I initially. Mine and my wife’s are both frozen, and I’ve never tried to thaw or unfreeze yet.

They should fine them enough to fully pay implementation of a token system for Social Security numbers that are one time use only, rather than a fixed number for life. We don’t need $125, we want our identity back!!!

Don't forget to claim time spent as a result.. $25 an hour, up to 10 hours without documentation, over 10 with docs.

dammit. I should have done that. the perils of laziness torment me
I think I spent 10 minutes figuring out I was part of the breach, checking my credit report and signing up for free credit monitoring.   I can't imagine how anyone spent hours on this unless they actually had some fraud happen.   I'll take the $125.  

the rover said:
I think I spent 10 minutes figuring out I was part of the breach, checking my credit report and signing up for free credit monitoring.   I can't imagine how anyone spent hours on this unless they actually had some fraud happen.   I'll take the $125.  
I continued to check for several months.. credit monitoring be damned.

I continued to check for several months.. credit monitoring be damned.
How long did checking your report each month take?  Seems like 5 minutes once a week would have been sufficient to confirm nobody had opened any new accounts.   You wouldn't have to look at anything other than new transactions.   Seems like 6 hours is pretty excessive.

How long did checking your report each month take?  Seems like 5 minutes once a week would have been sufficient to confirm nobody had opened any new accounts.   You wouldn't have to look at anything other than new transactions.   Seems like 6 hours is pretty excessive.
I told you, like I told them.

6 hours.  I timed it to the second.

I told you, like I told them.

6 hours.  I timed it to the second.
Cool.  Glad you're not committing fraud by over-reporting the time you spent.   I just checked my credit report to see how long it would take to find a new transaction (I opened two new accounts in the last 30 days, so I was able to test it with those).   Took about 90 seconds, including logging on to the website.   So I could check my credit report 240 times in 6 hours.

Cool.  Glad you're not committing fraud by over-reporting the time you spent.   I just checked my credit report to see how long it would take to find a new transaction (I opened two new accounts in the last 30 days, so I was able to test it with those).   Took about 90 seconds, including logging on to the website.   So I could check my credit report 240 times in 6 hours.
meh - stick it to Equifax, imo.

I'd add the time you spent posting in here, and reviewing responses, and don't forget to add the time you spent trying to figure out how much time you spent - I call that "Billing you, for Billing You"

Right, just to be clear, I spent 6 hours.

meh - stick it to Equifax, imo.

I'd add the time you spent posting in here, and reviewing responses, and don't forget to add the time you spent trying to figure out how much time you spent - I call that "Billing you, for Billing You"
I included time spent recovering from the traumatic stress of the whole ordeal.  

Also - if you've ever tried to get Equifax on the phone to contest an error.

6 hours is well within the realm of realism.

Credit Karma is free and was on the list of services to choose from when filing the claim.  I've been using them for awhile, so mine was a quick submission.

Screw credit monitoring, just freeze it. 

When it's frozen, you don't have to monitor it, nor do you have to remember to renew it or cancel it later to avoid being charged for their stupid service. 

Users who are viewing this thread