What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weekend in Philly (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
I am going with some friends this weekend.  We were planning to go to the Penn State Whiteout game but after Michigan's loss, we have scrapped that plan and will stay in the city.  There's a police chief convention there this weekend too. Any suggestions for restaurants, bars etrc would be appreciated. 

Monk's Cafe and Woody's would be a blast with that crowd. 
Woody's does have some killer karaoke, from what I have heard.

Serious answer is it is hard to answer without more info. Tons of good restaurants, but it depends on what kind of food you guys want to eat. If you want to be a true tourist maybe ditch the nice food and plan on Pat's or Geno's late night (there are better cheesesteak places in the city though). Steven Star still has a few restaurants in the city and they are considered top in the country. I guess a laid back kind of nice meal might be at the Continental or something. Looking at a list (http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/50-best-restaurants/) I haven't heard of 3/4 of those places, but might be a start.

Also depends where you are in the city. I am guessing center city, probably near old city. there are bars literally every single block, so it won't be hard to find something you might be looking for. depends on the scene you want and your location in the city. the night life has always been good (in my opinion) so there are options galore.

Serious answer is it is hard to answer without more info. Tons of good restaurants, but it depends on what kind of food you guys want to eat. If you want to be a true tourist maybe ditch the nice food and plan on Pat's or Geno's late night (there are better cheesesteak places in the city though). Steven Star still has a few restaurants in the city and they are considered top in the country. I guess a laid back kind of nice meal might be at the Continental or something. Looking at a list (http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/50-best-restaurants/) I haven't heard of 3/4 of those places, but might be a start.

Also depends where you are in the city. I am guessing center city, probably near old city. there are bars literally every single block, so it won't be hard to find something you might be looking for. depends on the scene you want and your location in the city. the night life has always been good (in my opinion) so there are options galore.
Is Woody's also LGTBQ?  NTTAWWT but again, not our scene.

It is, Jaysus was messing with you. NTTAWWT.

My go-to bar to tell people to hit up from out of town is McGillin's, which is a few blocks away. Big projector screens on both floors and TV's everywhere for games. :IBTL: that they'll have PSU/UM on the big screens. Great food and solid beer, oldest bar in Philly, great place to get beers and food and watch football. Get there before the game or you might have a hard time getting a table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woody's is located in the "Gayborhood" so yeah, if not your scene not sure the enjoyment level there. The majority of bars in 4-5 block radius with rainbow flags at each corner are likely to be LGTBQ bars. I am sure you wouldn't even know the difference in most of them, the only one's that stand out are Woody's and Sister's. I would definitely not suggest Sisters, I went there with a lesbian friend and the bouncer was a 230 pound butch who looked like she wanted to kick my ### up and down the block, because hetero dudes are not necessarily welcome there

It is, Jaysus was messing with you. NTTAWWT.

My go-to bat to tell people to hit up from out of town is McGillin's, which is a few blocks away. Big projector screens on both floors and TV's everywhere for games. :IBTL: that they'll have PSU/UM on the big screens. Great food and solid beer, oldest bar in Philly, great place to get beers and food and watch football. Get there before the game or you might have a hard time getting a table.
if you are in this section, and want something less crowded, Dirty Franks and McGlinchy's can maybe do the trick. you can wasted at both for cheap.

Mac and Dee from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia have a bar in Old City. I was there once, but if anybody is a fan of the show I hear it is a good time. and I think it is right around the main bar section in old city, so the nice thing is if you don't like a bar, you leave and literally walk 12 steps and you are likely at another bar

if you are in this section, and want something less crowded, Dirty Franks and McGlinchy's can maybe do the trick. you can wasted at both for cheap.

Mac and Dee from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia have a bar in Old City. I was there once, but if anybody is a fan of the show I hear it is a good time. and I think it is right around the main bar section in old city, so the nice thing is if you don't like a bar, you leave and literally walk 12 steps and you are likely at another bar
Agree, but for the PSU/UM game just pregame there beforehand. They have no TV's, I've been burned on this in the past when I wanted to watch games. Cash only as well, but they can favorably get forgetful with your final tab.

Agree, but for the PSU/UM game just pregame there beforehand. They have no TV's, I've been burned on this in the past when I wanted to watch games. Cash only as well, but they can favorably get forgetful with your final tab.
lol, yup. I'm sure not everybody's scene, but was always nice leaving with a ton of money still in the pocket and a strong buzz

:lmao: Place rules. Loved seeing groups of guys with kegs in trash cans lined with ice there. It is BYOB after all.
:lmao:  

We went there for my bachelor party.  Great time lugging that trashcan with the keg in it.  You never think about having to carry the damn thing back when you're leaving, though.

Getting married with lash marks on your back after getting pulled up on stage with the dancers and them getting a little too eager with the belt.... :unsure:    

No kids.  Just 7 guys in our mid-40s away from wives and kids for the weekend.  Talking about going to the 76ers on Friday night and Flyers on Saturday.
Tickets won't be easy to come by for Friday night's Sixers game most likely. Although chet bucks will help.

I haven't been to a ton of these places, but Zahav, Vetri and Fork are all great restaurants if you can get reservations.

:lmao:  

We went there for my bachelor party.  Great time lugging that trashcan with the keg in it.  You never think about having to carry the damn thing back when you're leaving, though.

Getting married with lash marks on your back after getting pulled up on stage with the dancers and them getting a little too eager with the belt.... :unsure:    
We bought my buddy one of those for his birthday once. He was in visible, excruciating pain. Which was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread