What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper talent for 2018. What RBs are out there? (1 Viewer)

_CRAZY8s

Footballguy
My team, like so many, are pretty much done for this year. So looking forward... WAY FORWARD.
Who do you see being a better Candidate for next year? Who has keeper talent?

I'm trying to find a GEM among those type of guys who may still be on waivers or can be had at a decent price.

Rank these guys (PPR)

Prosise

Gallman

Darkwa

Foreman

Breida

Perine

Kelley

Collins

A Jones

Booker

For keeper purposes complementary backs or role players are worthless. A small chance at a 2018-19 stud is much more enticing than a large chance of a 2018-19 RB4 or flex player. With that in mind, here's how I'd tier them (with another couple of similar names thrown in) - your opinions may differ of course:

Likely future lead back: Foreman, Kamara

Possible future lead back: Jones, Collins, Mack, Carson, Prosise*

Likely complementary piece, or we haven't seen enough to know: Darkwa, Gallman, Brieda, D. Henderson, McGuire, Cohen, McKissic

Don't bother: Perine, Kelley, Booker, Conner

* - Dude doesn't seem like he'll ever stay healthy enough for this to happen, but neither did Fred Taylor, until he did.

I think there are a few tiers here: 

Likely/very possibly lead backs next season, ranked in order
Jones
Kamara
Foreman
Mack

Has potential big value if used correctly
Cohen

Possible lead backs if nothing changes on their respective rosters at RB in order
Brieda
Collins
Carson
Gallman

Not worth keeping becuase the others are way better options
Darkwa
Henderson
McKissic
Prosise

I think there are a few tiers here: 

Likely/very possibly lead backs next season, ranked in order
Jones
Kamara
Foreman
Mack

Has potential big value if used correctly
Cohen

Possible lead backs if nothing changes on their respective rosters at RB in order
Brieda
Collins
Carson
Gallman

Not worth keeping becuase the others are way better options
Darkwa
Henderson
McKissic
Prosise
Completely agree on Jones, Kamara, and Foreman - those are my picks to stash for chances to be lead backs next year.

Could of nits to pick with the rest of the list (though we're throwing darts here):

I'm not sure Mack is a future lead back.  He's explosive, but he hasn't been very consistent to date, with a bunch of running into the pile followed by a long play.  My suspicion is that Indy will spend a higher draft pick on a better back in the offseason

I'm not sure Brieda will ever be a true lead back.  Even when Hyde was out, Breida ceded a solid amount of work to Mostert.  I expect SF either extends Hyde or drafts their RB of the future in the 2018 draft.

I think Darkwa and Alex Collins are actually extremely similar players and belong in the same tier.  I'm very curious to see what Darkwa can be if the Giants actually commit to him.

I'm not huge on Carson or Gallman, personally.  

I'm not sure Henderson would really be a thing if Booker was healthy this preseason (or that Henderson is better than Jonathan Williams who's getting paid nearly what Siemian is paid to stay on the Broncos practice squad).

Prosise *could* be special (he's got receiving skills, elusiveness, and is built big enough to handle the load).  He's had some big games when he's been given the workload.  He's just not been healthy, but as mentioned up thread, some guys aren't healthy until they are.  Fred Taylor is the poster child for this, but there have been a lot of guys that got hurt numerous times early in their career and then eventually avoided injury.

People giving up on Perine way too early. I don't have him, but would gladly scoop him up if someone dropped him. Obviously with his current role, his PPR upside will be limited, though.

Foreman is the name that stands out on the list for me.  While I'm not saying that he will, Miller can be cut after '17 or after '18 with minimal dead cap.  Coupled with a good young QB, a solid defense, apparent stability in the front office and coaching staff, he seems like the best candidate to invest in.

That being said, depending how many names you can roster at the conclusion of '17, it may be a good strategy to also look for the names that people in general are down on.  As an example, I rostered Devonta Freeman after '14 for the value of a last-round draft pick.  I don't mean to say this to illustrate my genius (I'm an idiot), but I was able to roster him at the end of the season at the very last minute (added him the day before the championship game) because most of the talk was that he wasn't going anywhere.  I certainly didn't know, and the Falcons obviously didn't know.  In this light, a guy who will be on my radar is Mack with the Colts.  Obviously he may see playing time moving forward that provides further light on this, but the general consensus I get from these boards is the fantasy community is generally down on him.

Seems to be Carson is clearly the best back on Seattle and would be the definite lead back for next year. It is Pete running the show though and he's not very smart. More ego than football acumen imo in that fat head of his.

If we're talking about 2018, how about Kenneth Dixon?

Smallwood might also be a consideration.

If we're talking about 2018, how about Kenneth Dixon?
This is a good call but too early (at least in my league) to add a guy like this.  I missed the playoffs last year and loaded my bench with speculative/injured/etc. type players after I set my lineup for the last regular season game (WW is locked out for team out of the playoffs).  Anyway, I was able to add A. Abdullah this way and he turned out to be one of my keepers.

I don't understand why everyone is banking on Kamara being a lead back next season. Ingram is still on the books for '18 and Kamara never logged 20 carries in a single game. Unless Ingram goes down, Kamara is going to be Tevin Coleman next season. Not a bad role to have, but I can't understand why so many are banking on this guy being the next big thing and having the backfield to himself. Payton has never gone with a bell cow and has always employed multiple options that fit different scripts. 

Elijah McGuire is another one I would try to roster as he offers opportunity, and has impressed in limited opportunities.  Forte won't be on the team next year and Powell can't seem to stay healthy.

I don't understand why everyone is banking on Kamara being a lead back next season. Ingram is still on the books for '18 and Kamara never logged 20 carries in a single game. Unless Ingram goes down, Kamara is going to be Tevin Coleman next season. Not a bad role to have, but I can't understand why so many are banking on this guy being the next big thing and having the backfield to himself. Payton has never gone with a bell cow and has always employed multiple options that fit different scripts. 
Talent over opportunity. Ingram's been the best pure RB Payton has had in his tenure by some margin, and that's the definition of "damning with faint praise."

Payton's SB honeymoon has run out. If he has a guy with bellcow talent (which Kamara clearly does, IMO) and still prefers to RBBC his way to another 7-9 season that might very well get him fired because of "his scheme", well, he's a braver man than I.

Good thread agreed but a tag to say who's contract is up/doesnt count against the cap, may help make clearer their path to glory

I'm eyeing the Raider's situation as Lynch hasn't performed, got suspended and will be another year older.  Perhaps the next man up isn't on the roster but I like both Richard & Washington.  The two seem interchangeable and that's somewhat of a negative as they could split equally.  Overall, I like the situation give line talent and potential opportunity.

Around the league, I like Kamara and Jones.  Kamara doesn't need to be the primary back to be productive however he won't come cheaply if not already rostered.  Jones could probably be had as his value could drop based on the short term situation in GB.

Also like what I've seen from DeAngelo Henderson.  Not sure of CJA's contract status and Booker still in the mix.

With the possible crop that’s on the horizon for the 2018 draft I won’t be putting my stock in any of these guys. 2018 is could be the deepest class we’ve ever seen and they will get drafted early and often.

Tex

Good thread agreed but a tag to say who's contract is up/doesnt count against the cap, may help make clearer their path to glory

I agree. How easy is this to find?
I don't understand what this means, especially the "doesn't count against the cap" part.  If you're looking for league-specific info, that's just not going to be available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

That's a list of all RB's who are NFL free agents next year and may be clearing the path for someone else. 

So looking at Henderson. Both Booker and CJ are contracted through the 2019 season. That looks like RBBC for a looooooong time!

I don't understand what this means, especially the "doesn't count against the cap" part.  If you're looking for league-specific info, that's just not going to be available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

That's a list of all RB's who are NFL free agents next year and may be clearing the path for someone else. 
Thats what i was trying to say. Also RBs who can be cut with not financial penalty to the team

nice find

With the possible crop that’s on the horizon for the 2018 draft I won’t be putting my stock in any of these guys. 2018 is could be the deepest class we’ve ever seen and they will get drafted early and often.

Tex
Agreed. Way too many guys coming in 2018.

I'm eyeing the Raider's situation as Lynch hasn't performed, got suspended and will be another year older.  Perhaps the next man up isn't on the roster but I like both Richard & Washington.  The two seem interchangeable and that's somewhat of a negative as they could split equally.  Overall, I like the situation give line talent and potential opportunity.
I'm thinking the same looking ahead to next year. It's a crapshoot who - if any - will emerge, but I do like Richard a bit more for PPR leagues.

Bumping this one now that the season is nearly over.

If you've got any waiver pickups/budget left to spend, is there anyone out there you're targeting as a potential 2018 value?

I've held on to DeAngelo Henderson RB Denver all year long.  Will someone steal him off their practice squad should he end up there?  I guess that's the reason why he's been on the 53 man roster all year long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just liked a couple posts from October. 

I’d look for opportunity places like McGuire NYJ, Gallman (don’t like what I see but he could end up default starter), Jeremy hill I think is a free agent, he could compete to get a shot somewhere maybe. 

Also, in leagues where you keep a couple guys or you keep a guy lose a draft pick i’d look for guys like Allen Robinson.

Also, in leagues where you keep a couple guys or you keep a guy lose a draft pick i’d look for guys like Allen Robinson.
In a 1/2 PPR league where we can keep up to 4 players, i picked up Chris Thompson a couple weeks ago... surprised he was there but you never know what other teams are thinking so it's wise to scour the wire for options like these.

For keeper purposes complementary backs or role players are worthless. A small chance at a 2018-19 stud is much more enticing than a large chance of a 2018-19 RB4 or flex player. With that in mind, here's how I'd tier them (with another couple of similar names thrown in) - your opinions may differ of course:

Likely future lead back: Foreman, Kamara

Possible future lead back: Jones, Collins, Mack, Carson, Prosise*

Likely complementary piece, or we haven't seen enough to know: Darkwa, Gallman, Brieda, D. Henderson, McGuire, Cohen, McKissic

Don't bother: Perine, Kelley, Booker, Conner

* - Dude doesn't seem like he'll ever stay healthy enough for this to happen, but neither did Fred Taylor, until he did.
I would flip flop Prosise & Gallman. IMO Prosise will never ever be a lead back, if healthy he could be a good 3rd down type compliment back to a lead banger type back. Not sure if Gallman has the talent to be a feature back but I think he has all the tools to be an every down back.

interesting to see the early alex collins rankings here.

he proved himself and i doubt the ravens make any waves at RB in the draft. he'll probably be a spendy RB next year but dixon could be a sneaky cheap handcuff.

i have to think he's at the top of this list today.

I’d look for opportunity places like McGuire NYJ, Gallman (don’t like what I see but he could end up default starter), Jeremy hill I think is a free agent, he could compete to get a shot somewhere maybe. 
What about Seattle? Imagine Carson's out there in a few leagues right now.

Today is the last day to scrounge for keepers in a keep 2 + 1 rookie league. I have stashed Ingram, Hunt, Cook, Carson, Mack and Forman. Also AR15 and Corey Davis. At the very least, I'm keeping most out of other's hands. 

Think Hunt and Cook are no-brainers and Ingram is an 8th round cost. Carson is very interesting too and so is Foreman if Miller falls out of favor. 

Agree that McGuire should be on the radar. He showed some ability when he got an opportunity. Forte and Powell are a liitle long in the tooth so he is worth a stash.

Kennith Dixon is still a very viable prospect.

Joe Williams is a long shot if you are desperate. The 9ers traded up to get him at Shanny behest. 

All that said, the incoming rookie class appears stacked at RB, so a lot will change in regards to opportunity next season.

I don't really like McGuire much but I agree he is worth adding due to Forte and Powell both being older RB.

Some don't think Perine is worth it, but I would still look to roster him and see if he can improve going into his second season with Washington.

Foreman and Alex Collins seem the most likely to be future gems from the OP.

I do agree that Dixon of the Ravens is a guy to consider though. He might be able to compete with Collins for playing time next year.

I really liked Booker but he has failed to impress enough now that I doubt he will. I had him rated very similarly to Dixon as a prospect, the only difference is that Dixon hasn't had a chance to prove himself average the way that Booker has. Very deep rosters and I would still roster Booker just to see if Denver improves their offensive line and maybe moves on from Anderson. Booker hasn't really proven to be as good as I hoped he could be though.

i'm keen to see what SF does in the offseason. Hyde and the hyped Breida have roles as yet to be determined. Could be a great offense and they could have a piece of it.

i'm keen to see what SF does in the offseason. Hyde and the hyped Breida have roles as yet to be determined. Could be a great offense and they could have a piece of it.
Yep. They're not Freeman and Coleman but could be pretty darn good.

Most just writing off Jeremy Hill? I really don't do redraft but I cant see him costing more this year than he should next (potentially)

I don't really like McGuire much but I agree he is worth adding due to Forte and Powell both being older RB.

Some don't think Perine is worth it, but I would still look to roster him and see if he can improve going into his second season with Washington.

Foreman and Alex Collins seem the most likely to be future gems from the OP.

I do agree that Dixon of the Ravens is a guy to consider though. He might be able to compete with Collins for playing time next year.

I really liked Booker but he has failed to impress enough now that I doubt he will. I had him rated very similarly to Dixon as a prospect, the only difference is that Dixon hasn't had a chance to prove himself average the way that Booker has. Very deep rosters and I would still roster Booker just to see if Denver improves their offensive line and maybe moves on from Anderson. Booker hasn't really proven to be as good as I hoped he could be though.
I don't think McGuire carries much value because there will be a lot of RBs in the 2018 draft that have a lot more talent than he has and McGuire and others like him will struggle to make a roster.

I don't think McGuire carries much value because there will be a lot of RBs in the 2018 draft that have a lot more talent than he has and McGuire and others like him will struggle to make a roster.
Thats fair. I am not particularly a fan of his. Just looking at opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread