What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Standard keeper rule for dropped (out for season) players? (1 Viewer)

ostrich

Footballguy
I mostly play redraft so don't know what the standard rules are for keeper.  In my league, you can keep a player you drafted or traded for next year's pick of that same round.  If you add any WW/FA player, you can keep them for a default 10th rd pick.  So if an owner drops ODB, Rodgers, Dalvin Cook, etc. who's out for season (or David Johnson/Olsen who they didn't want to take up roster space), another owner can add them to keep for a 10th rd pick.  Is having a default late round pick in this situation standard, or is the rule usually that you can keep at the round drafted by the original owner (same rule as trade), even if dropped?  

This has caused funky issues and the latter seems to be the best fix (without giving it too much thought).  Creating 2 IR slots and having deeper bench, etc. haven't seemed to fix anything b/c owners still mess up and drop injured guys, which throws off the balance later.  

Just wondering if our rule re default 10th rd pick for adding any dropped player is close to the standard.  

My league is similar, 3 possible keepers for each team and 2 IR slots on roster. But people just need to learn to use the IR spots, it's their own fault if they don't understand the rules. We have a rule that any drafted player retains the round they were drafted in no matter what, even if they were dropped. So if Dalvin Cook was drafted in the 3rd, then the owner dropped him, whoever picks him up could keep him next year as a 3rd rounder (not the standard 10th round pick, which only applies to undrafted players).

first thought is that there is really no such thing as "standard" when making these rules, especially keeper rules. I don't like your setup, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Personal taste.

What I don't like is that people can pick up the player who is on IR. In my league, anyone who is put on IR or suspended for the season can't be picked up once dropped for the rest of that year. This allowed owners to drop players without having to worry about someone else poaching for the following year. Also we didn't have to add IR spaces to the rosters, which I hate. And it adds marquee players to the draft pool next year. All of these works for us. We like keeper leagues, but we like drafting too.

We did have to tweak this a bit with the new IR designations NFL started using last couple of years. If a player is on IR, not allowed to be picked up. As soon as the players is removed from IR and put on the injury list as any other status, then they can be picked up.

My league is similar, 3 possible keepers for each team and 2 IR slots on roster. But people just need to learn to use the IR spots, it's their own fault if they don't understand the rules. We have a rule that any drafted player retains the round they were drafted in no matter what, even if they were dropped. So if Dalvin Cook was drafted in the 3rd, then the owner dropped him, whoever picks him up could keep him next year as a 3rd rounder (not the standard 10th round pick, which only applies to undrafted players).
Thanks, I like your league rule that the default only applies to undrafted players as there's too much room for weird outcomes otherwise.  

I agree that people need to learn to use the IR spots but some of the guys aren't as serious re knowing all the rules and make mistakes, but they're a good group who know each other in real life and it's not for serious money, just for fun.  Also, sometimes they may have more IR players than IR slots and maybe some guys haven't been designated to IR (like Rodgers yet).  I just don't want the more serious/sharky players to gain too much of an advantage this way.  I have already had to tell the commissioner to reverse a couple drops and remind the owners how to use the IR.  Easy solution seems to just be to use your rule.

first thought is that there is really no such thing as "standard" when making these rules, especially keeper rules. I don't like your setup, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Personal taste.

What I don't like is that people can pick up the player who is on IR. In my league, anyone who is put on IR or suspended for the season can't be picked up once dropped for the rest of that year. This allowed owners to drop players without having to worry about someone else poaching for the following year. Also we didn't have to add IR spaces to the rosters, which I hate. And it adds marquee players to the draft pool next year. All of these works for us. We like keeper leagues, but we like drafting too.

We did have to tweak this a bit with the new IR designations NFL started using last couple of years. If a player is on IR, not allowed to be picked up. As soon as the players is removed from IR and put on the injury list as any other status, then they can be picked up.
Yeah, I get that there aren't "standard" rules and I may have misused the word.  I just wanted to survey other leagues to see what was more common I guess.  It just doesn't seem optimal for certain owners to keep 3 top 15 players at 10th rd value, even if that was me and "other owners should have known."  Hurts the competitiveness of the league IMO

I don't know if Yahoo allows owners to not pick up players on IR.  I don't have a problem with owners picking up a Westbrook or Woodhead early before they come off IR.  

I don't know if Yahoo allows owners to not pick up players on IR. 
we use CBS and there is no way to do this on CBS either. It's just understood by the owners that those players are hands off. We've had owners pick up IR players not realizing they are IR, tough luck for that owner to lose out on someone else because that transaction is reversed the next day.

I'm in two keeper leagues with both types of rules you propose, and I can say that keeping players based on their original draft pick is definitely the best way to go.  The simplest reason is that it makes the playing field fair for all owners.  It doesn't make sense to me that I can keep a player for a 1st rounder and another owner could keep that same player (after picking them up in free agency) for a 10th rounder.

In addition, you might want to consider making it more costly to keep free agents.  My league (I'm the commish) originally used 10th round picks for free agents, but it resulting in way too many incredible keepers.  As a result, we ended up moving it to the 6th round, which still provides an incentive to working free agency without making it so game-breaking.  Just something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread