What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dede Westbrook - It’s go time! (1 Viewer)

ffweasel

Weasel Power
Possible return to the field on week 9. Dede had a good preseason before his injury. Clearly he is worth rostering in dynasty leagues. What about in redraft?  He may not contribute immediately, but could provide a homerun threat that is needed in Jacksonville. Even with Bortles at QB, Westbrook might be a nice surprise at the end of our fantasy season. I picked him up a few weeks back to stash on my league's IR and curious what people think. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Westbrook makes plays so yeah I think he is worth picking up to see what happens for redraft in a week or so and certainly a hold or pick up in dynasty formats.

Maybe my favorite sleeper this year. It's kind of hard to view Westbrook as a sleeper considering his talent, but you could get him as late as the 4th in some dynasty drafts. What a steal. Westbrook fell in the NFL draft due to character concerns, but he's had no problems I'm aware of as a pro.

Many people don't seem to be aware of this, but Westbrook had already beaten out Hurns for the slot job when he got hurt. He's also capable of playing outside. Not sure about Westbrook's redraft value because it's hard to say how quickly he'll get integrated once he comes back, but he's a top WR prospect & a great dynasty asset, IMO.

Weren't there preseason rumors of the Jags trying to trade Hurns? I'm guessing because they saw enough of Westbrook to know they had a baller.

I've stashed him on every redraft league that has an IR slot

He's not the best route runner or the most disciplined or the best hands. He simply knows how to make plays. Everyone has critiqued his game "to death" while at OU and he'd just keep doing well. They did it enough to make him fall in the draft and then he made plays in preseason. Did he lead the NFL in preseason?

He played in the big 12 and faced plenty of talented CBs and Ss and racked up 1500 yards and...20? TDs. Do you remember how many CBs were praised? How many WRs? Despite him besting them in games, he's a fourth rounder. They rrrrrrrreally knocked this guy down.

I remember a game he went in to return punts and he never does. He took it to the house.

I wanna say 200 yards three weeks in a row. I've never seen a player go through critiques like him. Guy got 200,220 against Texas in a ginormous rivalry game and they're ripping him apart on ESPN 200? next week and...same thing. Third week with 200, they're obsessed with him on a play where he should have been called for PI but refusing to say "wow what an effort." 

Everyone is either going to be dead wrong about this kid or dead on accurate. 

The thread here wasn't so dissimilar if you wanna search. DeDe blows up the big 12 for 1500 yards and people here too are hyper-critical. I don't care if he chews gum, does a cartwheel, or waves to the crowd during his route- if he catches it, I'm good. Google for critiques or search here....telling ya, you've never seen a guy do so well and receive so much flack

Loved him in college, was surprised how far he fell in the NFL draft and saw that he had a strong preseason. I grabbed him in dynasty two weeks ago and will hold as a lottery ticket.

Most definitely on my radar as well. Most of my keeper leaguemates aren't keeping tabs on him, so I'll likely wait until Week 9 before adding to my roster. He's a ROS lottery ticket as far as I'm concerned. I think there's a decent chance he hits, but even if he doesn't, his talent still warrants a bench spot. 

Another tidbit to add to this discussion: Robinson and Lee are FAs after this season. That gives Westbrook a huge opportunity to be a WR1 next season possibly... big, cheap value potential here

He's not the best route runner or the most disciplined or the best hands. He simply knows how to make plays. Everyone has critiqued his game "to death" while at OU and he'd just keep doing well. They did it enough to make him fall in the draft and then he made plays in preseason. Did he lead the NFL in preseason?

He played in the big 12 and faced plenty of talented CBs and Ss and racked up 1500 yards and...20? TDs. Do you remember how many CBs were praised? How many WRs? Despite him besting them in games, he's a fourth rounder. They rrrrrrrreally knocked this guy down.

I remember a game he went in to return punts and he never does. He took it to the house.

I wanna say 200 yards three weeks in a row. I've never seen a player go through critiques like him. Guy got 200,220 against Texas in a ginormous rivalry game and they're ripping him apart on ESPN 200? next week and...same thing. Third week with 200, they're obsessed with him on a play where he should have been called for PI but refusing to say "wow what an effort." 

Everyone is either going to be dead wrong about this kid or dead on accurate. 

The thread here wasn't so dissimilar if you wanna search. DeDe blows up the big 12 for 1500 yards and people here too are hyper-critical. I don't care if he chews gum, does a cartwheel, or waves to the crowd during his route- if he catches it, I'm good. Google for critiques or search here....telling ya, you've never seen a guy do so well and receive so much flack
What are you talking about. He runs fantastic routes, has great hands and is super disciplined. He dropped in the draft because 1) he has a very slight frame/build, teams worried about his ability to stay healthy and get off the line against physical corners and 2) character/domestic violence concerns.

Dude is a baller. Get him while you can.

Another tidbit to add to this discussion: Robinson and Lee are FAs after this season. That gives Westbrook a huge opportunity to be a WR1 next season possibly... big, cheap value potential here
Only thing keeping me from going all-in is the QB situation. 

Only thing keeping me from going all-in is the QB situation. 
I'll be going all in. Just not sure I want to show my hand this week. I can stash him on my IR but I would need to drop someone to pick him up in the first place (ridiculous- they should let you pick someone up to your IR).

From a dynasty perspective I think JAX moves on from Bortles and invests round 1 on a QB. This is a great class and Jacksonville should be able to find someone better than Bortles. 

If Diggs is out this week I think I can stash him on my IR to create room for Westbrook, then flip them next week when Diggs is Questionable... I don't really need him for this year, I would stash him for next season as a potential super cheap WR2 keeper

I'll be going all in. Just not sure I want to show my hand this week. I can stash him on my IR but I would need to drop someone to pick him up in the first place (ridiculous- they should let you pick someone up to your IR).
I dropped a Kand D to pick up Fuller and Westbrook awhile back. Put them both on IR (we have 2 spots) and then picked up the K and D I wanted that week. Thankfully Fuller was off IR when Cook got injured. But yes I agree that you should be able to pick up someone directly to your IR. 

What are you talking about. He runs fantastic routes, has great hands and is super disciplined. He dropped in the draft because 1) he has a very slight frame/build, teams worried about his ability to stay healthy and get off the line against physical corners and 2) character/domestic violence concerns.

Dude is a baller. Get him while you can.
don't twist that into me being a hater- all I've ever done is support the guy while the rest criticized every thing. I meant 'the best' can't do tone here, probably poorly worded too

I'm convinced scouts knew about the talent, but I believe he fell in the draft almost exclusively because of character concerns. Several analysts referred to him as a top-50 player on physical ability alone. Westbrook probably fell farther in the draft than anybody for character concerns, including Mixon.

I love his overall game. Does everything well & unlike many speedy receivers, runs good routes & snatches the ball. A key trait is he plays much bigger than his slender 6'0 frame would suggest. He's also a B to cover with instant explosiveness & great speed.

I believe Westbrook has the ability to be the Jags #1 WR. Not sure what you'll get out of him this season with a late start, but assuming he stays on the straight & narrow, he's got tremendous upside.

Incredible major college production, Heisman finalist. Instant impact and talent translation to NFL level in his first preseason. Don’t love his size but see a Diggs comp

I have him in my Dynasty league as a cheap stash.  I think he has Antonio Bryant type upside.  Serious baller.  However I don’t see it happening as long as Blake Bortles is the qb.  Next season the jags will likely draft a qb and I think Westbrook has a shot to be the wr1 in jax.  Why’s ilportant for him this season is to show the team what he is capable of in the 2nd half and give them the confidence to let either Robinson or lee walk.  

I'm in, really no pass catcher in jacksonville is performing,fresh blood couldn't hurt, look back at his preseason highlights, he's defintely worth the stash.

I'm in, really no pass catcher in jacksonville is performing,fresh blood couldn't hurt, look back at his preseason highlights, he's defintely worth the stash.
That's my thought too, but what about Keelan Cole? Any chance he does anything? 

Dede is definitely worth a stash in Dyno but I'm not buying in redraft.

That's my thought too, but what about Keelan Cole? Any chance he does anything? 

Dede is definitely worth a stash in Dyno but I'm not buying in redraft.
I would think cole would have done something by now if he was going to..

There is a really good reason why no Pass catcher is performing in jax.  It rhymes with shmake shmortles.  

Its hard for any wr to do more than what marqise Lee does when your qb couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and your head coach limits him to 12-15 passes per game.  Why would that change when Dede comes back?   

Shmake shmortles will still suck.  

There is a really good reason why no Pass catcher is performing in jax.  It rhymes with shmake shmortles.  

Its hard for any wr to do more than what marqise Lee does when your qb couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and your head coach limits him to 12-15 passes per game.  Why would that change when Dede comes back?   

Shmake shmortles will still suck.  
Not sure if that has to change.

• 2016: The Rams threw for 2950 yards and had a 1000 yard receiver who played 15 games.
  • 2017: The Dolphins are throwing for a league worst 2480 (pro rated) yards and have a receiver on pace for 121 catches.
Can he be a significantly better option then Lee and Hurns?  

Can he be a significantly better option then Lee and Hurns?  
Westbrook will instantly be their most talented WR when he comes off of IR. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the most productive, though.

Hard to say how long it'll take Westbrook to be get going, but it could be sooner rather than later.

Is the QB still throwing Honeybaked Hams at people? :porked:

Then no. This new regime is correctly devaluing the QB, and if Bortles destroyed AR15's value I don't see Dede having success unless he gets Antonio Brown usage.

I'm in. Looked ahead in my Keeper League and I have 4 WRs on bye Week 9. Dede was still sitting out there, so he'll be my WR3 for his first game back. 

Westbrook will instantly be their most talented WR when he comes off of IR. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the most productive, though.

Hard to say how long it'll take Westbrook to be get going, but it could be sooner rather than later.
Not sure of your basis for declaring him their best WR the "instant" he returns.  Everybody in the NFL has talent.  Westbrook is a rookie and one of very slight build.  I know he had a good preseason but that's..... preseason.  Can't blame you for being excited about a player but I'd tap the brakes a little.  Biggest concern, for me, is the Jax passing game (that Shmortles guy) and I question if Westbrook has the size/experience/ability to take a dominant piece of that small pie.

Not sure of your basis for declaring him their best WR the "instant" he returns.  Everybody in the NFL has talent.  Westbrook is a rookie and one of very slight build.  I know he had a good preseason but that's..... preseason.  Can't blame you for being excited about a player but I'd tap the brakes a little.  Biggest concern, for me, is the Jax passing game (that Shmortles guy) and I question if Westbrook has the size/experience/ability to take a dominant piece of that small pie.
Talent-wise, I believe Westbrook is easily be their best WR (he had already beaten out Hurns). That said, I'm realistic about his production this season because of the late start. I realize it's the Jags, but my excitement is from a dynasty perspective. 

Also, Westbrook's slight build is of little concern to me considering his overall game. It's definitely a factor, but one he can easily overcome with his skill set, IMO.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Westbrook is going to light it up when he comes back. It could take some time for him to get going, but I like his chances to be their #1 WR by the end of the 2018 season.

The Jags seems to be going in the right direction despite Bortles so I believe it's only a matter of time before they get a decent QB.

Plus marqise Lee is pretty good at football it turns out.  Put him on just about any other team minus Cleveland (and maybe even Cleveland BC kizer is better than Bortles) and he could be a star.  

Starting to take a look at Westbrook.

Question:  Do you think Westbrook also will be the punt returner for the Jags?   (that could add some add'l value to him)

So far, here are the YTD results for Jags punt returners:

M.Lee           5 returns   for 13 yds   2.6 avg   0 TDs     6 fair catches
M.McCaffrey 4 returns   for 0 yds     0.0 avg   0 TDs     4 fair catches

Those are pretty disgusting numbers

If you have a long bench or IR spot, this could be the best time to make a speculative add. He may not blow up first week back (week 9), but he has tremendous talent and opportunity. 

Plus marqise Lee is pretty good at football it turns out.  Put him on just about any other team minus Cleveland (and maybe even Cleveland BC kizer is better than Bortles) and he could be a star.  
(My once a month post correcting this)

No he's not. He's in the prime WR1 position with the Jags and he only has 360 yards in half a season. Does he have a touchdown?

He and Hurns are complimentary WRs that can feed off of a #1 WR. Neither is the stud, star, alpha type.

For the last 3 decades, the average # for a starting WR has been roughly 750 yards. He is on pace....to be average.

He was overranked as a prospect and people have always clung to it. When Hurns beat him out, when he was injured and coming back...every year the guy is a supposed stud. It's 4 years now, time to change the view.

I agree, totally, but it's there for the taking. Roughly halfway through and their WRs are only averaging a little more than 40 yards per game. They miss their lead guy. Hurns and Lee aren't "made" for double-teams and could really benefit from someone else attracting attention.

They seem to be rebuilding Bortles. The offense was the simplest I've seen in years and asked Bortles to throw just short passes in a controlled environment while the run game was leaned on then leaned on some more. They're letting Bortles throw more n more each week and really seem to be spoon-feeding him. The O looked a lot better last week and Bortles did too. Not perfect. Not time to take the reins off Bortles, but better. He (and their confidence in him) could sorely use a third option that isn't ancient Marcedes Lewis.

You can probably make an argument that rebuilding Bortles limited the WRs and I wouldn't disagree completely, but I do still think it's there for the taking for Westbrook. 

Call me crazy but at this moment, I would even suggest that if Westbrook thrives they make the playoffs. If he doesn't, they won't. The D is playoff caliber but the O needs to be better and I don't imagine it getting better any other way.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Westbrook is going to light it up when he comes back. It could take some time for him to get going, but I like his chances to be their #1 WR by the end of the 2018 season.

The Jags seems to be going in the right direction despite Bortles so I believe it's only a matter of time before they get a decent QB.
I'll say it, he'll light it up.

Dede Westbrook could have a "top-three role" in Week 9 against the Bengals.

Westbrook hasn't had any setbacks after Jacksonville activated him from IR. He looked to be getting first-team practice reps this week with Marqise Lee sidelined. Westbrook was the best wideout in college last year and confirmed his production at both his Pro Day and in the preseason — where he led the league in receiving. With Lee injured and Allen Hurns playing the slot, Westbrook could have a bigger than expected target share in his debut. Nov 1 - 6:16 PM
Looks like Lee was a planned holdout from practice with a lingering knee thing but doesn't sound like he's in danger of missing the game. Still, would love to see if Westbrook gets some looks right away.

I grabbed him in my main league. Excited to see what he can do(if bortles can make a decent throw).

Would you rather take a chance on Dede or Paul Richardson in a PPR? 

Leaning towards taking the chance on Dede
I feel like the upside is there for both. More Risk/Reward for Dede but also a lot of Risk/Reward for Paul plus he's shown it. 
Concerned about Paul consistently being that guy though. 

My view is that Dede definitely has the most potential and if he kills it the jags could move on from lee or robinson since they have expiring contracts, and dede could be one of those amazing keepers where as Paul's role could grow and be slightly more consistent but yet still be that boom/bust WR3.

Asking about ROS for both these guys and Keeper value since I need a bench guy for ROS and my league allows for 3 keepers every year.

Would you rather take a chance on Dede or Paul Richardson in a PPR? 

Leaning towards taking the chance on Dede
I feel like the upside is there for both. More Risk/Reward for Dede but also a lot of Risk/Reward for Paul plus he's shown it. 
Concerned about Paul consistently being that guy though. 

My view is that Dede definitely has the most potential and if he kills it the jags could move on from lee or robinson since they have expiring contracts, and dede could be one of those amazing keepers where as Paul's role could grow and be slightly more consistent but yet still be that boom/bust WR3.

Asking about ROS for both these guys and Keeper value since I need a bench guy for ROS and my league allows for 3 keepers every year.
I can't trade Richardson to save my life so if you want production now grab him & enjoy. If not, go Westbrook.

Users who are viewing this thread