What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comic Book Recommendations (1 Viewer)

saintfool

Dead sexy
My boy is in 2nd grade. He's an emerging, willing reader and likes superheroes. We've checked out some age-appropriate graphic novels from our local library. Do any of you using apps or monthly services for digital comics? I know Marvel has one, Amazon owns Comixology, and I'm sure there are more. Any recommendations? Ideally, I'd like to find a way for him to read comic books offline but it's not essential.

Get some classic Amazing Spiderman. That kept me busy all through grade school and part of high school. Great stories and characters.

Not so much interested in titles. Those will come easily enough, I think, for him. I'm hoping to find recommendations or firsthand experience with some of the new ways of doing this. Apps and digital platforms that allow a reader to use an iPad or tablet to look at classic and new releases sound like a good idea. 

Not so much interested in titles. Those will come easily enough, I think, for him. I'm hoping to find recommendations or firsthand experience with some of the new ways of doing this. Apps and digital platforms that allow a reader to use an iPad or tablet to look at classic and new releases sound like a good idea. 
yeah, the Marvel app i think is like $70/year and i thought it had their entire library. you can read all through the site, or i think download 10-12 at a time to read offline

yeah, the Marvel app i think is like $70/year and i thought it had their entire library. you can read all through the site, or i think download 10-12 at a time to read offline
that would be ideal for my boy. he's in an afterschool enrichment program and some of the other boys bring Pokemon or cars to trade. Invariably it leads to hard feelings between the kids. If he had something else to occupy his attention and simply share then it might go more smoothly.

that would be ideal for my boy. he's in an afterschool enrichment program and some of the other boys bring Pokemon or cars to trade. Invariably it leads to hard feelings between the kids. If he had something else to occupy his attention and simply share then it might go more smoothly.
yeah for the price it isn't a huge commitment either. worth a try I think for your boy

Would it give access to the entire back catalog? 
No, not everything but there are probably around 20,000 issues. Alot of the main series are complete. You also get new releases (I think those are all titles) but they are released 6 months behind. Every Monday they release new titles, both new releases and old ones they fill in here and there. For $69 a year it's an incredible value. I can even read decently in my phone in landscape mode. Be aware that the Android app can be flaky sometimes. It has gotten better but occasionally you may run into some issues. It's not bad though.

AAABatteries said:
I’ve never read comics on a digital device. I do have a friend who reads some graphic novels via an app that works with her library. It’s like borrowing them from the library, so it’s free. You just have to have a library card at a library that uses the app - I believe it’s called Hoopla.

There are pdfs out there you can download for classic series from the 80s.  Fun to go back and read Avengers and Iron Man issues.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread