What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is wrong with KC’s defense? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
At the start of the year I was leary about playing any qb’s against them (they pretty much shut down Tom Brady opening night) but from then on (with an exception vs SD) they have been very vulnerable to the pass. Derek Carr and the Raiders absolutely lit them up last night...Going forward are they a defense to target with opposing qb’s?

At the start of the year I was leary about playing any qb’s against them (they pretty much shut down Tom Brady opening night) but from then on (with an exception vs SD) they have been very vulnerable to the pass. Derek Carr and the Raiders absolutely lit them up last night...Going forward are they a defense to target with opposing qb’s?
Something happened in that first game

Well for one they're just running essentially  the same play all game long. When the offense knows you are never going to play zone and never going to blitz it is pretty easy to design routes to beat man coverage on every play. 

That kind of defense only works when your front 4 is getting great pressure. When they aren't you've gotta mix it up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they were a lock for the SB. Now they look like just another team with a good offense that can’t play defense. They can’t win shootouts every week.

Mitchell and Murray are awful. I even think Peters has come back down to earth after having an amazing first two years. But their front line pressure has been atrocious as well. I don't think they had a single sack last night? 

Mitchell and Murray are awful. I even think Peters has come back down to earth after having an amazing first two years. But their front line pressure has been atrocious as well. I don't think they had a single sack last night? 
Peters graded out as a top corner two years in a row but he's way down the ranks this year. Murray got abused last night but he's a talented kid. I think they are at a schematic disadvantage and need to play more cover 2; they're not good enough without Berry to play man all over the field.

There's a laundry list of issues. Chris Jones has flashed Aaron Donald type potential, but he's been brutal the past few games. Justin Houston is being misused (covering Antonio Brown? wtf) and still doesn't seem completely healthy, or otherwise the injuries affected his explosion. He was always a big key to the defense. Dee Ford is probably one of the worst guys in history to have a 10-sack season; he'll usually have one speed rush per game where he just blows by a guy with speed, but is otherwise quite bad. Derrick Johnson is just OLD -- father time has really, really got to him. Then you've got the secondary which is just a disaster. I don't even wanna go there. Safe to say Eric Berry was a RIDICULOUS loss, though. It's one thing to be just 1 of the best defensive players in the league, but he was the absolute heart and soul and vocal leader -- apparently no one has stepped up in his place. They don't ever seem to make a big play after giving up one, which is what they used to do.

At this point you can probably fire the DC, too. I don't think he's to blame THAT much, but the scheme isn't working anymore. They used to "bend but not break," which was kinda fluky, and now they're just broken. 

I cut them in 7 out of 9 leagues. I drafted them everywhere I could this year. I wanted to diversify so I kept them in two leagues and was rewarded with -3.

dont have the numbers in front of me but I suppose theres a drop in kc's offensive TOP leading to defense being on the field more.no Berry.Hey Kool Aid Andy Reid strikes again he's juat not that good folks. might be the most overrated coach in the NFL what's he EVER won as a hc? nothing.zippo.nada. 

kc looks every bit as bad as Reids teams in Philly. flashes here and there..then stupidity creeps in and the bad,  ugly Reid  shows up.

washington shouldve beaten them if not for 15 offsides penalties on 3rd and long the Redskins win easily.

teams have caught up with their def schemes its not rocket science what theyre doing..running the same old defensive plays all the time. now theyre being exposed.the offensive scoring protected the defense. no longer the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
People nailed it in this one. 2nd corner is really really bad and the loss of Eric Berry is hurting big time. 

I won’t completely rip Reid as others have done, but seemingly willingness to abandon the run even in game situations that would favor killing clock could also be impacting the defense. 

Take the end of the 1st half for example...KC has it at the Raiders 25? 1:45 to play in the half. 

Romo called it, as did I - run the damn ball. Hunt averaging 7 YPC for the season & the Raiders D looked tired. Get 3-4 yards. Do it again. Maybe Hunt breaks one. Maybe not. Either way you still get the 3, and they leave the Raiders <30 seconds. 

Instesd Reid again calls a pass play (I believe they went 6:1 pass to run leading up to that) again to Hill, who rockets out of bounds for a gain of 2-3?

That lapse of judgement gave the Raiders enough time for a few offensive plays before the half.

Chiefs had the lead. They got pass happy.  If they fed Hunt the rock it seems like they salt away the game. 

Uptempo quick strike game script means more possessions, which means more wear & tear on a defense. Either they get the Hill deep TD & the D comes back on the field or they go 3 & out & the D comes back on the field. Either way, defense played a lot of snaps on TNF. 

Seems like if KC is rested their elite LB corps can pressure the QB and mask some deficiencies in the secondary. 

Just an observation. 

Users who are viewing this thread