What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Detroit Lions Defense... (1 Viewer)

WiDDoW_MaKeR

Footballguy
If you don't have them, get them while you can. They are going to dominate your league down the stretch. They have already been very good this year, and their schedule looks soft as your grandma's apple pie for the rest of the season. 

Steelers - Packers - Browns - Bears - Vikings - Ravens - Bucs - Bears - Bengals - Packers

Six of their last ten games are against teams who are playing with a QB who didn't start this year as their starter. Three of the other four games are against QBs who have been had for major defensive points so far this year. Absolutely none of these teams look like a scary offense to play against. The Lions defense is going to carry you to the promise land!

You are very late to this party. I have been running w/them for weeks. Thinking about just dropping the Texans DEF to grab a bench player, but then I don't want another team using Texans against me.

They're sitting out there on FA in one of my leagues but I would need to drop D'Onta Freeman (I'm a Lamar owner) but definitely if they're out there for you grab 'em!

defense isn't as good as the fantasy #s show.  They've definitely been opportunistic and have had a lot of things go there way so far this year.  At the same time they have been giving up chunks of yards. Not to say their Good Fortune can't continue or that they can't be a good Fantasy Defense. Based on schedule and the like. But they are not Denver and I wouldn't be surprised if the production dropped off.

You are very late to this party. I have been running w/them for weeks. Thinking about just dropping the Texans DEF to grab a bench player, but then I don't want another team using Texans against me.
I'm not late at all, I've had them all year long. However, they are available in plenty of leagues, even though they have been playing well. I'm just pointing out what a soft schedule they have down the stretch.

defense isn't as good as the fantasy #s show.  They've definitely been opportunistic and have had a lot of things go there way so far this year.  At the same time they have been giving up chunks of yards. Not to say their Good Fortune can't continue or that they can't be a good Fantasy Defense. Based on schedule and the like. But they are not Denver and I wouldn't be surprised if the production dropped off.
Funny that you mention those two teams. I have Detroit and Denver in all three of my leagues. Detroit is absolutely dominating them. As we all know, the best defenses in football aren't always the best for fantasy football. Denver has been terrible this year for FF. Detroit has done well, even against very good offensive teams. There is no reason to think that they wouldn't continue to do well, especially against the schedule that they have coming up.

PFF has them as the 10th best D after 6 weeks IRL. They've allowed 308 or less in half their games (that's top 7 stuff in today's NFL.) Weak at LB outside of Jarrad Davis, very good defensive backfield. Slay is a top 8 corner, Diggs is an outstanding slot corner, Quinn is one of the best safeties in the game. Don't blitz much and the D-line needs to generate more pressure.

FF purposes: they're great at one thing, and that's takeaways. Third in both INT and Fum Rec (/G.) You can say that's fluky but it's a point of emphasis. 3 TDs on D and 2 PR TDs (if you play DST) are a bit of luck, but again, that's coaching and the personnel. They want to create splash plays and they've been successful at it, so I'm not sure I'd say "well they're getting lucky" - they are playing exactly the way they practice and are coached, to make big plays.

Injuries and the offense's struggles are taking it's toll on the D.

Good matchups or not, buyer beware. This unit is a shell of what is was already.

Injuries and the offense's struggles are taking it's toll on the D.

Good matchups or not, buyer beware. This unit is a shell of what is was already.
Injuries that I am aware of:

• Haloti Ngata - IR, probably done with Lions, hurts their run game but also means heavier rotation for A'Shawn Robinson who is a stud
  • Paul Worrilow - sprained MCL 19 days ago, he was to miss 2-4 weeks and they're on a bye (FWIW he wasn't having an impact and hasn't been missed IMO.)
  • Ezekiel Ansah - weekly knee thing, right? Guy has had a couple good games but not sure he'll ever be the level he once played at if can't get healthy
  • Glover Quinn - should be OK post bye but just suffered his 2nd career concussion; hadn't missed a snap in several years before he had the brain injury against the Saints
Not clean but they're relatively healthy. The issue with the Panthers game was they sold out completely for the run and left Dickson (historically a blocking TE with little production over 8 years) wide open several times. He went 5-175 and the Lions gave up over 400 yards for the only time this year. The Saints scored 52 but 28 of those were straight off Stafford turnovers.

I agree. They have lived off a TO rate that I don't see as repeatable 

I agree. They have lived off a TO rate that I don't see as repeatable 
What makes you think it’s unsustainable? They’re on pace for 37; the NFL leader in takeaways the last 3 years had 32, 41, & 34.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you think it’s unsustainable? They’re on pace for 37; the NFL leader in takeaways the last 3 years had 32, 41, & 34.
Saw every game. They aren't that good and is Quinn playing in week 8? He's the Ed Reed

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw every game. They aren't that good and is Quinn playing in week 8? He's the Ed Reed
Well I get recency effect - weeks 5 & 6 had that “unprepared from the get go, SOL” feel we know all too well - but think about the playmakers besides Quinn (who is def the boss):

A’Shawn Robinson - turning into a beast, pick 6 (what a grab for a lineman!) against the Saints, 3 PD, 1 FF 

Zettel - #15DE, great motor, 1 FR, 4 sacks in the first 3, 6 tackles v. Panthers

Ansah - 1 FF, 1 FR, 4 sack on limited snaps, still not 100% healthy

Jarrad Davis - 31 tackles in 4 games, 1 sack, 1 FR, calls the signals, explosive quickness 

Tahir Whitehead - one of the worst cover MLB last year, moved back to the Weak Side & PFF has him as a top 6 OLB (#13 LB overall). 1 INT, 2 FR, 36 tackles

Darius Slay - Top shelf CB, 3 INT, 8 PD

Quandre Diggs - outstanding in the slot (#18CB PFF), 3 PD

Miles Killebrew - hardest hitter in the secondary, does great playing LB in the dime; not sure there’s another S who doesn’t start who makes more big plays every week. 1 INT (pick 6), 5 PD, 1 FF

Glover Quinn - #2S, 2 INT (pick 6), 2 FF, MVP of the team, calls the coverages, elite Safety

Depth concerns at D-line? For sure. They need a good push because they don’t blitz much.

Weak LB group? Actually, a bit underrated, but they’ve had schematic issues & were not nearly as good when JD missed two games.

DBs? I’ll put them alongside any group. Lawson/Hayden at “the other corner” and S Wilson are average, but they have 4 good to great players back there.

I just listed 9 guys who are grading out Above Average or Elite this year. This is a talented group IMO.

It hasn’t been smoke & mirrors; it’s about preparation, most of their INTs were in the film room (guys breaking right to the spot they knew the other team was going.) They’re doing drills in practice they simply never ran in years past. They’re getting takeaways because it’s been a point of emphasis and focus this season. You don’t succeed at the highest level because of luck. They get turnovers because they study, know their job, and play like they practice.

Users who are viewing this thread