What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Resume question (1 Viewer)

flyingsushi

Footballguy
Is it ok if I don't have my address on my resume?  I would prefer if the potential employee was not aware of where I live.  I only want my phone number and email on it but I wasn't sure if this would be frowned upon.  I am looking for entry level positions, I am not qualified for high paying professional jobs so take this into consideration.  You can say I am sort of starting over in life.  

TIA

Is it ok if I don't have my address on my resume?  I would prefer if the potential employee was not aware of where I live.  I only want my phone number and email on it but I wasn't sure if this would be frowned upon.  I am looking for entry level positions, I am not qualified for high paying professional jobs so take this into consideration.  You can say I am sort of starting over in life.  

TIA
When I was laid off earlier this year (and was on unemployment) I was required to meet with a rep from the unemployment office. He went through my resume and one of the things he suggested was that I remove my address. He said it was not necessary and freed up a line to add something more job relevant. 

This is just me:

I hire close to entry level positions and dislike when applicants don't give an address.  I like to get a sense of how long the commute will be.  Unless your resume stood out for another reason, I'd pass.  I have 100 other resumes to review.  If yours did stand out, I'd email you and ask you where you lived.

What are you worried about?  There might be other options such as only giving city and state or explaining why you live so far away in a cover letter or elsewhere on the resume.

This is just me:

I hire close to entry level positions and dislike when applicants don't give an address.  I like to get a sense of how long the commute will be.  Unless your resume stood out for another reason, I'd pass.  I have 100 other resumes to review.  If yours did stand out, I'd email you and ask you where you lived.

What are you worried about?  There might be other options such as only giving city and state or explaining why you live so far away in a cover letter or elsewhere on the resume.
Just curious, why does the length of my commute matter? This seems like discrimination or punishment for something that has been a problem. Also, what if I was in the process of moving closer. Or for that matter, what if I lived right next door to work during that time I was hired and moved further away two weeks after starting?

Not trying to be argumentative. It just seems like another false obstacle that HR creates to shoot themselves in the foot. 

Just curious, why does the length of my commute matter? This seems like discrimination or punishment for something that has been a problem. Also, what if I was in the process of moving closer. Or for that matter, what if I lived right next door to work during that time I was hired and moved further away two weeks after starting?

Not trying to be argumentative. It just seems like another false obstacle that HR creates to shoot themselves in the foot. 
The length of commute matters to me when you live in an area with horrible winters.  If it’s a position that doesn’t have a lot of staffing I’ll likely be short staffed on bad weather days or at the least plan for late arrivals. 

All other things equal, an employee with a 5 minute commute will be happier in their job than one with a 60 minute commute.  The farther the commute, the more likely that employee will start looking for a new entry level job closer to home.  If the applicant is in the process of moving closer, they should communicate that to me in some manner.

Please be aware that I'm specifically replying in this thread because the OP mentioned an entry level position. The higher the level, the less of an issue this would likely be. 

He said it was not necessary and freed up a line to add something more job relevant. 
By the way, I don't understand this "freeing up".  Even if you're doing a paper or electronic one page resume, you can just adjust the font size.  Even if you're right on the edge of the font size being too small, you could fit the address, email and phone number on the same line.

When I was laid off earlier this year (and was on unemployment) I was required to meet with a rep from the unemployment office. He went through my resume and one of the things he suggested was that I remove my address. He said it was not necessary and freed up a line to add something more job relevant. 
If you're looking for an entry level position, how much do you have to put on your resume that's job relevant?

By the way, I don't understand this "freeing up".  Even if you're doing a paper or electronic one page resume, you can just adjust the font size.  Even if you're right on the edge of the font size being too small, you could fit the address, email and phone number on the same line.
This was in regards to those of us that have decades of relative job history. My resume is currently 2 pages long. And that's with leaving out 2-3 jobs that I have to make sure I work into  the interview. Real estate is precious. 

If you're looking for an entry level position, how much do you have to put on your resume that's job relevant?
Good point. Probably could increase the font size and add zodiac sign as filler. 

This is just me:

It is a personal issue.  I am living in a residential treatment facility, a sober living home and I was trying to avoid this issue.  

It has been so long since I had to get a resume together I used a professional resume writing service to create me a few resumes targeting specific types of jobs along with cover letters and I forgot to ask their thoughts on the address issue.  

It is a personal issue.  I am living in a residential treatment facility, a sober living home and I was trying to avoid this issue.  

It has been so long since I had to get a resume together I used a professional resume writing service to create me a few resumes targeting specific types of jobs along with cover letters and I forgot to ask their thoughts on the address issue.  
My advice is just to go with city, state, zip.

I am probably looking too much into it.  As I responded, I didn't want the residential treatment facility on my resume.  My experience the last 17 years was telemetry.  I monitored patients in the hospital on heart monitors and stuff like that.  I need to get a job like asap.  My original plan was to apply for an electrician apprenticeship and the local union but it requires a drivers license and I have some issues delaying that so I have to get something else to take care of different financial issues and I was l looking at a sales rep positions with 3rd party logistics companies (I have previous sales experience with insurance) or I have a lead on a sales position selling external cardiac defibrillators.  I need a job like fast though because I unexpectedly burned through my cash.  For the time being I was thinking about even just starbucks.  So you can see I am not looking at high paying careers and stuff like that.  I am probably just looking too much into it, but because I don't have much resume writing experience I was wondering if this was a big issue or not.  I certainly understand the travel time issue, my former employers were always having issues when we interviewed someone who lived an hour away.  For now, anywhere I go has to be on the bus line.  

I doubt they would know the address of the treatment facility looking at an address. 

The phone number is the big issue. I had tried to reach out to a couple of people and got a halfway house and they were clueless.  I ended up emailing the guy.

I would just put the city and state.

If they need to mail you you can give them address if it geta to that point. 

Good luck and don't get discouraged. You seem like you have a great attitude towards being willing to do anything needed which unfortunately is better than more than half the people I deal with who are looking for jobs.

What area are you in?

Yes, it is discrimination. But so is every other reason an employee finds that leads to their not hiring you.

What employees can't do is discriminate for things that are protected by law from discrimination.  

If it's not protected, then employees can and will discriminate it. 

I am not sure of the protocol on this but what about opening a P.O. Box?
I tried but I moved out of my apartment and was living with a friend until I got in and I didn't have a lease or whatever to show.  

I doubt they would know the address of the treatment facility looking at an address. 

The phone number is the big issue. I had tried to reach out to a couple of people and got a halfway house and they were clueless.  I ended up emailing the guy.

I would just put the city and state.

If they need to mail you you can give them address if it geta to that point. 

Good luck and don't get discouraged. You seem like you have a great attitude towards being willing to do anything needed which unfortunately is better than more than half the people I deal with who are looking for jobs.

What area are you in?
The problem is the address specifically names the place.  It is a more like a facility, not a converted home on some street.  When I saw the address they gave me to have my mail sent, it was blatantly obvious.  

The phone number is ok because I can use my cell phone so I am good to go there.  

I live in Indianapolis.  

Seems like the feedback here is my cell number and email will work fine.  I have a habit of looking too much into detail.  I would be more concerned if I was trying to get a professional white collar job paying $70k for example.  It took some time to get over myself and be humble and grateful and work at Starbucks until I can get something more in line with a career path and pay I am more comfortable with because getting hired and starting can be a slow process.  Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Politician Spock said:
Yes, it is discrimination. But so is every other reason an employee finds that leads to their not hiring you.

What employees can't do is discriminate for things that are protected by law from discrimination.  

If it's not protected, then employees can and will discriminate it. 
Great answer. I always laugh a bit when people throw out the "discrimination" line unless it's a protected class. 

I didn't get a specific job because the other applicant has 20 years more relevant experience. Discrimination! 

But yes, if you're being discriminated against because you live in the black area of town that's a different issue.

All other things equal, an employee with a 5 minute commute will be happier in their job than one with a 60 minute commute.  The farther the commute, the more likely that employee will start looking for a new entry level job closer to home.  If the applicant is in the process of moving closer, they should communicate that to me in some manner.

Please be aware that I'm specifically replying in this thread because the OP mentioned an entry level position. The higher the level, the less of an issue this would likely be. 
You should do the same for candidates with/without kids (if you know). Parents take way more unexpected days off due to sick kids. Just saying.

Great answer. I always laugh a bit when people throw out the "discrimination" line unless it's a protected class. 

I didn't get a specific job because the other applicant has 20 years more relevant experience. Discrimination! 

But yes, if you're being discriminated against because you live in the black area of town that's a different issue.
Sorry, I used the wrong term. I wasn't saying discriminate against a candidate from a legal sense. Not sure what you would call it. Filter? Determining factor? When looking for a candidate that does not have an address on their resume, it does seem like a punishment. Especially the way someone said that it could be a single determining factor in passing over a resume. 

I've been through the hiring process from both sides. Granted, I didn't have to go through hundreds of resumes. In talking with other people that were laid off the same time as me, it seems like recruiters are looking for reasons not to interview someone. Not having an address seems like a stretch. It also seems like recruiters are presenting a moving target when it comes to getting an interview. Resume expectations are constantly evolving. If you do a google search, you'll find a 50/50 split on whether or not you should include an address on your resume. Applicants have no way of knowing what a particular recruiter wants. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

In your situation, I agree it’s best to leave it off. You could put the city if you want.

Good luck to you. It takes a lot of effort and hard work to turn your life around and start over. Hang in there - it sounds like you have your head and heart in the right place and will make this work.

Sorry, I used the wrong term. I wasn't saying discriminate against a candidate from a legal sense. Not sure what you would call it. Filter? Determining factor? When looking for a candidate that does not have an address on their resume, it does seem like a punishment. Especially the way someone said that it could be a single determining factor in passing over a resume. 

I've been through the hiring process from both sides. Granted, I didn't have to go through hundreds of resumes. In talking with other people that were laid off the same time as me, it seems like recruiters are looking for reasons not to interview someone. Not having an address seems like a stretch. It also seems like recruiters are presenting a moving target when it comes to getting an interview. Resume expectations are constantly evolving. If you do a google search, you'll find a 50/50 split on whether or not you should include an address on your resume. Applicants have no way of knowing what a particular recruiter wants. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 
Agreed. I went through this during the first half of this year. Got way too many differing opinions on almost everything. There's really no one right answer unless you know the people screening your resume (that's basically how I got my job, knew people who happened to think I was worth hiring). 

I have been told that City and state is sufficient, no need to put the full address. that was for state and federal government employment, not sure if that matters. 

Best of luck!

I just did a google search and read through everything on the first page.  The consensus says full street address is not necessary and several suggested omitting it.  I agree with that.  However, almost all the links suggested including the city.  The only one I found that didn't was in the case that you'd have a long commute and might be eliminated due to that.  There really didn't seem to be this random split you're indicating.  

You should do the same for candidates with/without kids (if you know). Parents take way more unexpected days off due to sick kids. Just saying.
It's true that a parent might have more unexpected days off.  However, one of my main concerns about a long commute is they'll decide it's too much after being hired and trained and search for employment closer to home.

I lead a team that is responsible for hire 5000+ hires/yr.  1/2 of those are entry level/call center.  No address is required.  Heck, we don't even require a resume for the call center positions.  

I just did a google search and read through everything on the first page.  The consensus says full street address is not necessary and several suggested omitting it.  I agree with that.  However, almost all the links suggested including the city.  The only one I found that didn't was in the case that you'd have a long commute and might be eliminated due to that.  There really didn't seem to be this random split you're indicating.  
I'll defer to you and others when it comes to resume etiquette. 

I searched using "should I include address in resume"

I'd be happy to include web addresses from all the results of search if necessary.   :D

Users who are viewing this thread