What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson Droppable? (1 Viewer)

gradin123

Footballguy
I have Jordy Nelson heading into the bye and honestly I don't even think he is worth holding onto anymore.

He really hasn't had a good year even when Aaron Rodgers was playing. He scored a lot of TD's of course but that hid the fact his yardage production was way down. Now with Hundley I don't think the Pack are scoring many TD's and Hundley doesn't seem to have a connection with Jordy. Also, Jordy really doesn't look that good. Is it age, is it that injury that forced him out of a  game earlier in the year? I don't know but he looks slower now. 

I really am having a hard time seeing the upside in keeping Jordy around. I don't think I will ever start him now. He may get garbage yards against weaker D's some weeks but that is a maybe and there are probably better options on my waiver wire.

I am wondering if there are any other Jordy owners who are thinking about pulling the plug on him?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is funny about it. Jordy has 303 yards through 7 games. That is about 43 yards per game. Now Rodgers is gone and the Pack are trying to become a power running team.

The Td's aren't coming at nearly the same pace without Rodgers. Without the tD's so far he would already be considered a major bust this year.

You can disagree with me but at least explain why. Right now he looks every bit of his 33 years of age. I think this is the end of Jordy being productive.

I'm not disagreeing that he is struggling and agree the loss of Rodgers hurts. But you went over the top and said droppable.  That is what I was laughing at.  

I'd say it depends on your league. 8 team? Absolutely. 16 team? No way. In a shallow ten team? Maybe. Anything past that seems hold him. Sell low if you want off the wagon. 

I'm not disagreeing that he is struggling and agree the loss of Rodgers hurts. But you went over the top and said droppable.  That is what I was laughing at.  
Would you trade anything of value for him? Are you going to keep a guy around just because of his name?

I certainly will let it be know around my league that he is available but I don't expect to get many offers. I may hold him through the bye and then try and sell. Or wait one more game. But he is near the end of the line for me. I'm 3-4 in that league and can't afford to be patient with him.

Ask yourself - If you saw Jordy Nelson on the waiver wire, would you pick him up? If the answer is yes then you cant drop him.  

I know if I saw Jordy available I would put in a claim for him or a FAAB bid.  Try to trade him if you dont see yourself using him.  Someone will take him - he still has name recognition and is the #1 WR on his team.  At the very least he can be the kicker for you in a 2 for 1 trade.

Ask yourself - If you saw Jordy Nelson on the waiver wire, would you pick him up? If the answer is yes then you cant drop him.  
This is a good answer for any drop/pick up question I think.

My question for gradin123 is who is available in your league that you would rather have than Nelson?

I think Nelsons track record of performance makes him a more attractive option than most if not all WR who may be available free agents at this point, but every league is different. Some examples could perhaps further the discussion.

That said I do think Adams has moved ahead of Nelson in the pecking order of Green Bay WRs this year and that is something that is not likely to change moving forward. Hundley did not play well against the Saints, so until he does all Green Bay WR have taken a big hit in what one can expect them to produce.

One other item to consider - just a few days ago many people were considering dropping Amari Cooper.  Well, not any more!  We all saw what Cooper did on Thursday night and now no one is dropping him. 

Talent usually wins out in the end.  We know how good Jordy is!  It may take some time for him to build a rapport with Hundley, but I have no doubt that he will have some good games moving forward.

One other item to consider - just a few days ago many people were considering dropping Amari Cooper.  Well, not any more!  We all saw what Cooper did on Thursday night and now no one is dropping him. 

Talent usually wins out in the end.  We know how good Jordy is!  It may take some time for him to build a rapport with Hundley, but I have no doubt that he will have some good games moving forward.
You just said it yourself, "talent wins out in the end." But you have to factor Hundley vs. Carr in this scenario. Maybe Hundley will amount to something, maybe not. But you're comparing a young emerging star QB and and a young emerging stay WR with a 33 year declining star WR and a backup who has looked mostly terrible in his albeit, limited time. 

Just look back at Antonio Brown when he had Jones as his QB. He won't even put up those paltry numbers. You probably don't drop him but he becomes just another ham & egger wr.

Dropping Nelson is a bad idea.  You are going to have to give Hundley some time to gel.  And if he does within with next couple of weeks, someone else is going to reap the benefits.

Park Nelson on your bench and see what happens.

I have him and he will not see my starting lineup anymore. There are plenty of 3 catch 40 yard receivers available. Going to see if I can unload him on some sucker in my league.

I don’t think he’s droppable.  Don’t want to write off the Huntley kid after one game.

But he’s obviously no longer WR1 material.

Should the ty hilton owner drop him?  He’s got Brissett throwing him the ball.  You have to be patient with Jordy and give it time for Hundley to settle into the offense.  Btw the saints D is for real this year.  Tough opportunistic defense that gets turnovers and gives complex looks to the qb.  

I agree that if you have better options bench Jordy until further notice.  But drop him?  For who?  Unless you’re in an 8 team league with shallow benches I doubt there’s a better player on your wire than Jordy.  

Just look back at Antonio Brown when he had Jones as his QB. He won't even put up those paltry numbers. You probably don't drop him but he becomes just another ham & egger wr.
Funny, I was just about to post how AB was still productive even with a backup QB.

No, he wasn't scoring nearly as many points, but he was still more than startable.

People were talking about dropping and were benching Cooper.  They were also benching Julio.  Bad ideas.  It's frustrating when they are not consistent but you can't let another team have one of your elite players.  If anything try trading them for a decent player.

One of the reasons I think he is droppable is IMO he is no longer the top receiving threat on the team. I think Adams is. Combine that with Huntley and it looks bad going forward. 

People were talking about dropping and were benching Cooper.  They were also benching Julio.  Bad ideas.  It's frustrating when they are not consistent but you can't let another team have one of your elite players.  If anything try trading them for a decent player.
If I could trade him for a decent player I would. That isn't happening

You realize they both have their starting QBs, no?  So this isn't exactly a perfect comparison.

Hey, if anyone wants to drop Nelson go right ahead.  Just don't come back here looking for any empathy if he has some big games.  He's obviously going to struggle with new QB now but there's still more potential with him than any guy off waivers.  I'm going to send some offers to Nelson owners this week and see if I can get him cheap.  Dropping seems like the worst choice.

I have Nelson and Fitzgerald starting on my main team and neither have their starting QB now but I'm sticking with them.

Hey, if anyone wants to drop Nelson go right ahead.  Just don't come back here looking for any empathy if he has some big games.  He's obviously going to struggle with new QB now but there's still more potential with him than any guy off waivers.  I'm going to send some offers to Nelson owners this week and see if I can get him cheap.  Dropping seems like the worst choice.

I have Nelson and Fitzgerald starting on my main team and neither have their starting QB now but I'm sticking with them.
In dynasty it's absolutely nuts to drop him.  In redraft, he's worth keeping a couple of weeks to see if McCarthy gets his head out of his.......pick a word......and lets Hundley play football.

In dynasty it's absolutely nuts to drop him.  In redraft, he's worth keeping a couple of weeks to see if McCarthy gets his head out of his.......pick a word......and let's Hundley play football.
Most certainly worth hanging on to.  At least wait until after the bye and see if they get something figured out.

Nelson has no trade value now but droppable? 8 team league yes.  10 or more probably not.  Would not start Nelson in any format right now though until he at least shows something.

In dynasty it's absolutely nuts to drop him.  In redraft, he's worth keeping a couple of weeks to see if McCarthy gets his head out of his.......pick a word......and lets Hundley play football.
The problem is that the offense hasn't changed.  It was always horribly vanilla but Rodgers covered it up. I have no faith it will improve.  I think the best hope for Jordy going forward is garbage time production. 

Droppable :lmao:  

This made my Monday morning. Sure, go ahead. I'm sure Allen Hurns will have a much higher ceiling  :rolleyes:

Nelson has no trade value now but droppable? 8 team league yes.  10 or more probably not.  Would not start Nelson in any format right now though until he at least shows something.
No trade value?  Would you take Willie Snead for him?

How about Nelson Agholor? I'd even rather a guy like Tyler Lockett right now. 
The point is, their ceilings are not as high as Nelson's. Go ahead and drop him and watch the FAAB bids come pouring out. Not telling you how to manage your team, but that's kind of an overreaction IMO. Sure, he should be on your bench until the whole QB/offense situation pans out. I can tell you that the play calling yesterday was very odd from MM. If I had him, I'd put him on my bench for a few more weeks. Kind of ridiculous to flat our drop him at this point, at least IMO

I am just curious as to what the people laughing at dropping him would offer me for him.  Give me names that you would give up for him. 

I am just curious as to what the people laughing at dropping him would offer me for him.  Give me names that you would give up for him. 
Better than Lockett... going off my roster, I'd offer Funchess. Hilton... another up and down WR- I'd swap my headache for yours. 

I wouldn't offer Diggs, Bryant. Otherwise, that's all I got at WR... 

The point is, their ceilings are not as high as Nelson's. Go ahead and drop him and watch the FAAB bids come pouring out. Not telling you how to manage your team, but that's kind of an overreaction IMO. Sure, he should be on your bench until the whole QB/offense situation pans out. I can tell you that the play calling yesterday was very odd from MM. If I had him, I'd put him on my bench for a few more weeks. Kind of ridiculous to flat our drop him at this point, at least IMO
I think both of those guys ceilings are much higher than Jordy right now. Lockett is heavily involved in the offense right now and is close to a big week. Agholors ceiling is much higher. 

Just in the one league I'm in I would consider offering Snead or Derrick Henry.  I may consider Golden Tate.

Just in the one league I'm in I would consider offering Snead or Derrick Henry.  I may consider Golden Tate.
I wish you were in my league...Golden Tate rest of the season >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jordy Nelson

I wish you were in my league...Golden Tate rest of the season >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jordy Nelson
I said I would consider it.  I wouldn't offer it today since Nelson has his bye this week.

I said I would consider it.  I wouldn't offer it today since Nelson has his bye this week.
Bye or not, I am amazed by your claim.  Even with Rodgers a mere 10pts separates Tate from Nelson.  Without Rodgers that will close incredibly fast.  Tate was one Nelson catch away from doing just as well as him this week while being on bye.  

Bye or not, I am amazed by your claim.  Even with Rodgers a mere 10pts separates Tate from Nelson.  Without Rodgers that will close incredibly fast.  Tate was one Nelson catch away from doing just as well as him this week while being on bye.  
Tate has been very up and down.  He's had two really good games and those are the only two TDs he's had.  The rest of his games have been in single digits.  Currently his arm is in a sling and he's doubtful for this week's game.

Other than this week and the one he got hurt in Jordy has scored in the double digits every game.  He also has 6 TDs but I know that's because he had Rodgers throwing to him.  Jordy is still their best WR and should get a decent amount of targets which means he still has a decent ceiling.

If I were taking offers for Jordy I would only accept a player similar to Tate right now otherwise I'm sticking with him.  This is why I brought up possibly offering Tate.

Jordy droppable? Hot take, I thought Stephen A Smith only did basketball.
He's giving us a preview of Dodds' WW Report this week. Nelson will be downgraded to droppable likely. 

As someone who owned Lockett, I would much rather have Jordy. I am in a very short bench league. I released Lockett 3-4 weeks ago and no one has picked him up yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread