What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trade Deadline Nears. Post Info Here (1 Viewer)

DarkKnightsGuru

Footballguy
With 24 hours left in the trade deadline. What are some of the deals that my happen .. Also post any useful info or rumor that is legitimate

Ty Hilton Talks are definitely happening where he goes who knows?

Eric Ebron- WIll most likely be moved too

NE Rb - Have a feeling they will move a rb ..   Lewis is my first choice here but what team really has a urgency at rb ?    Giants?   Maybe trade the Patriots D help like Vernon 

Chris Mortenson on Mike & Mike this morning said there is interest (inquiries made) on LT Duane Brown despite the Texans stating last week that he would not be traded. SOmething to do with him saying that he wants to be a Seahawk.

If history is any guide, I'm guessing there will be a lot of discussion but very few (if any) trades. Particularly those with meaningful fantasy implications.

Maybe THIS will be the year the deadline will be exciting like the NHL/NBA

With younger GM's now all over the place, maybe trading will pick up.

Buffalo could use a WR/TE or some CB/LB depth.

Surplus of Tackles and late round picks they may part with,  Mills or Henderson can be available. I hope they don't trade Cordy Glenn.

A few weeks ago the Bills I guess had interest in Peterson, so it looks like they are looking for depth at RB as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? Does he WANT to play again? If so, why wouldn't he play in Detroit?
I don't think he and Detroit parted on the best of terms.  I forgot the details, but I think they made him pay back part of his bonus when other teams have been known to say "thank you" to retiring superstars by letting them keep the bonus money. 

Surplus of Tackles and late round picks they may part with,  Mills or Henderson can be available. I hope they don't trade Cordy Glenn.

A few weeks ago the Bills I guess had interest in Peterson, so it looks like they are looking for depth at RB as well.
Clay is good enough. They need a QB, WRs & a RB as McCoy is getting old

Clay is banged up, they run a lot of two TE sets.  A Jimmy Graham rental would be huge for this passing offense assuming the cost is right. 

They aren't trading for a QB. They only need some depth at a few positions assuming they want to even be a buyer at 5-2.

Mike Tolbert upgrade would be nice.

Clay is banged up, they run a lot of two TE sets.  A Jimmy Graham rental would be huge for this passing offense assuming the cost is right. 

They aren't trading for a QB. They only need some depth at a few positions assuming they want to even be a buyer at 5-2.

Mike Tolbert upgrade would be nice.
Rental wouldn't make sense. They are not in contention to win it all. They have a lot of pieces missing before they can get there.

Rental wouldn't make sense. They are not in contention to win it all. They have a lot of pieces missing before they can get there.
Seattle needs a tackle, Bills have a few they can part with.

I could easily see a Mills and 5th for Graham and 7th swap.  Pass catchers just don't cost a pretty penny anymore.

We have a surplus of picks as well.  I agree not a contender but making the playoffs would be huge for this franchise and when it might only take 9 wins, they need to try continue exploring.

I'm still wondering why they let Johnathan Williams go. He seemed to have some promise.

They could just pluck him off the Broncos practice squad if they wanted him though.

If they're trading Jordan Mills for Jimmy Graham, it's addition by subtraction. Mills is bad. I don't agree with a rental TE, and we do have Clay who has a decent sized contract himself. I would be okay with this move. I wouldn't support a Cordy Glenn for Jimmy Graham trade without significantly more value coming from Seattle.

This team appears to be geared toward low profile additions, not the big splashes. With that being said, I would love for them to go out and get Kirk Cousins or TY Hilton. It won't happen, but I would love to see it. Of course, TY Hilton wouldn't see much of a change in production this year unless there is a change at QB. The Bills won't sell the farm for a playoff push even though they're at 5-2 right now. Kirk & TY would be moves for now and beyond, but it appears to be a conflict with their current philosophy.

McCoy has enough in the tank for this year, but a decline can be pretty steep for RBs, so who knows about next year. This is a position they may be continuously looking to address for depth purposes only. There are plenty of RBs that come in late rounds/undrafted that seem to make an impact on a yearly basis, I would imagine that would be the route this team takes for the future of the RB position.

I'm still wondering why they let Johnathan Williams go. He seemed to have some promise.

They could just pluck him off the Broncos practice squad if they wanted him though.
And should sign Cyrus Kuoandjio back if they do end up dealing Cordy Glenn. I can't believe he's not on a roster. He did well filling in for Glenn last year.

If they're trading Jordan Mills for Jimmy Graham, it's addition by subtraction. Mills is bad. I don't agree with a rental TE, and we do have Clay who has a decent sized contract himself. I would be okay with this move. I wouldn't support a Cordy Glenn for Jimmy Graham trade without significantly more value coming from Seattle.

This team appears to be geared toward low profile additions, not the big splashes. With that being said, I would love for them to go out and get Kirk Cousins or TY Hilton. It won't happen, but I would love to see it. Of course, TY Hilton wouldn't see much of a change in production this year unless there is a change at QB. The Bills won't sell the farm for a playoff push even though they're at 5-2 right now. Kirk & TY would be moves for now and beyond, but it appears to be a conflict with their current philosophy.

McCoy has enough in the tank for this year, but a decline can be pretty steep for RBs, so who knows about next year. This is a position they may be continuously looking to address for depth purposes only. There are plenty of RBs that come in late rounds/undrafted that seem to make an impact on a yearly basis, I would imagine that would be the route this team takes for the future of the RB position.
Torrey Smith was an option I explored and Sal liked it.  He thought of Pryor. I thought that was too much.

The Eagles like Mack Hollins and have plenty of pass-catchers.  With Jason Peters lost and a 7-1 record they could use some depth.  Torrey Smith is on a manageable contract and familiar with Dennison and Taylor.  The trade deadline for most teams would be adding depth in positions of need and the Bills have some assets to buy.

That's true, they could but a lot of teams could have added him to their roster. I just don't think McDermott liked the arrest on his record.  He was impressive in training camp.  It surprised me to hear the Bills were interested in Peterson.

And should sign Cyrus Kuoandjio back if they do end up dealing Cordy Glenn. I can't believe he's not on a roster. He did well filling in for Glenn last year.
These moves wouldn't require trades though.

It seems unlikely that Seattle would trade Graham, but what Seattle does never makes much sense to me.

If history is any guide, I'm guessing there will be a lot of discussion but very few (if any) trades. Particularly those with meaningful fantasy implications.
That is the safe prediction as strong chance it's the accurate one but I got feeling this year will be a little different. Still the amount of completed trades to rumor ratio will be small, I just think there is more smoke this year than usual and the league is a bit more active than it used to be.

With that in mind I don't have news, just my top 5 most likely to be traded players based that would have fantasy impact.

1. Pryor: Contractually very easy to trade due to one year deal. All guaranteed money already accounted for at this point, no cap hit or future bonus money to worry about impacting camp and team acquiring him just has to pay prorated fairly small salary for rest of season. I think a trade of him is also likely as he's never integrated into the team, would be almost as if he was never there to be honest. Also Pryor has to be very unhappy that he signed a one year prove it deal and is getting phased out so quickly, this might be a case where the team needs to do right by the player and get what they can for this failed experiment.

2. Duane Brown. I thought heading into week we had two veteran tackles on trade marker with Brown and Staley and now that Staley is hurt I think it gives Texans even more leverage. He's just what a few contending teams need and I don't think his holdout endeared him to anyone in Houston.

3. Martavis Bryant-I don't think they can get much for him, 5th round best case. I don't think they want to set a precedent of allowing disgruntled players to gripe their way to an early exit but they just might determine in this case it's best to wash their hands of this situation, get what they can and move on. Of all the trade rumors out there this is the one I least want to see happen as I'm a Steeler fan and would just like to see them all get back on same page. Not sure how any Steeler fan would be truly happy seeing him go for a day three pick.

4. Ty Hilton-would not have thought it except for the rumors yesterday from credible sources. His base salary next 3 seasons is between $11-14.5M a year. That's fine for a #1 WR who is easily your franchise QB's preferred target. But maybe Colts don't view him as a true NFL #1 WR or simply feel like value to franchise with a depleted roster that looks like they are in a rebuild phase would be best served getting younger cheaper assets back for Hilton. Also would not rule out them moving Luck in the off-season either but that one is relative to the  QB they would be able to draft in round one and what teams are paying for that pick versus what they might pay for Luck but that's for another time and entirely dependent on available QB's.

5.Calvin Johnson. I thought he was done but why would teams suddenly start inquiring about his rights? I have to think those teams have some reason to believe he can be convinced to return. Of all the trade rumors this is one I most hope would prove to be true, unless he ended up in NE in which case I wish he'd just stay retired.

That's true, they could but a lot of teams could have added him to their roster. I just don't think McDermott liked the arrest on his record.  He was impressive in training camp.  It surprised me to hear the Bills were interested in Peterson.
Good point that any team could grab him if they wanted. Bills perhaps the least likely to do so since they let him go.

Just doesn't seem like teams need to trade anything to get RB depth.

Good point that any team could grab him if they wanted. Bills perhaps the least likely to do so since they let him go.

Just doesn't seem like teams need to trade anything to get RB depth.
Dime a dozen I agree. Which is why it was shocking that the Bills inquired about Peterson.

Likely if anything happens it's like a RB for a 7th or RB and a 7 for a 6.

That is the safe prediction as strong chance it's the accurate one but I got feeling this year will be a little different. Still the amount of completed trades to rumor ratio will be small, I just think there is more smoke this year than usual and the league is a bit more active than it used to be.

With that in mind I don't have news, just my top 5 most likely to be traded players based that would have fantasy impact.

1. Pryor: Contractually very easy to trade due to one year deal. All guaranteed money already accounted for at this point, no cap hit or future bonus money to worry about impacting camp and team acquiring him just has to pay prorated fairly small salary for rest of season. I think a trade of him is also likely as he's never integrated into the team, would be almost as if he was never there to be honest. Also Pryor has to be very unhappy that he signed a one year prove it deal and is getting phased out so quickly, this might be a case where the team needs to do right by the player and get what they can for this failed experiment.

2. Duane Brown. I thought heading into week we had two veteran tackles on trade marker with Brown and Staley and now that Staley is hurt I think it gives Texans even more leverage. He's just what a few contending teams need and I don't think his holdout endeared him to anyone in Houston.

3. Martavis Bryant-I don't think they can get much for him, 5th round best case. I don't think they want to set a precedent of allowing disgruntled players to gripe their way to an early exit but they just might determine in this case it's best to wash their hands of this situation, get what they can and move on. Of all the trade rumors out there this is the one I least want to see happen as I'm a Steeler fan and would just like to see them all get back on same page. Not sure how any Steeler fan would be truly happy seeing him go for a day three pick.

4. Ty Hilton-would not have thought it except for the rumors yesterday from credible sources. His base salary next 3 seasons is between $11-14.5M a year. That's fine for a #1 WR who is easily your franchise QB's preferred target. But maybe Colts don't view him as a true NFL #1 WR or simply feel like value to franchise with a depleted roster that looks like they are in a rebuild phase would be best served getting younger cheaper assets back for Hilton. Also would not rule out them moving Luck in the off-season either but that one is relative to the  QB they would be able to draft in round one and what teams are paying for that pick versus what they might pay for Luck but that's for another time and entirely dependent on available QB's.

5.Calvin Johnson. I thought he was done but why would teams suddenly start inquiring about his rights? I have to think those teams have some reason to believe he can be convinced to return. Of all the trade rumors this is one I most hope would prove to be true, unless he ended up in NE in which case I wish he'd just stay retired.
Nice synopsis.  I thought the Steelers deactivating MB and then seeing JuJu blow up may increase the odds of a trade, and then when Tomlin refused to say that he saw a future in Pittsburgh for MB, the signals became even stronger.  I feel like there is enough smoke here that a fire has a decent shot of happening.

How about Hyde?  Plenty of rumors about this a couple weeks ago, and SF has been cleaning house since then.  Not much chatter about this lately, but Breida scored yesterday, the team is 0'fer, and Hyde will probably not be brought back next year.  He could certainly help a contender make a run.  Seattle?  New England?  Philly?

How about Hyde?  Plenty of rumors about this a couple weeks ago, and SF has been cleaning house since then.  Not much chatter about this lately, but Breida scored yesterday, the team is 0'fer, and Hyde will probably not be brought back next year.  He could certainly help a contender make a run.  Seattle?  New England?  Philly?
Several instances of reports suggesting the 49ers trade Hyde to the Vikings.

I think the Vikings are fine with their tandem of McKinnon and Murray, but the offensive line has been playing good enough that I think Hyde would be successful there.

Seattle makes more sense to me as far as Hydes play style and the Seahawks need for a RB, but trading inside the division makes this seem less likely.

Bill Belichick details Patriots' trade strategy in advance of NFL trade deadline

The NFL's trade deadline is set for Tuesday at 4 p.m. and based on past history, the Patriots will be active. Whether they actually make a deal or not, Bill Belichick and Co. will be working the phones.

Speaking on a conference call Monday, Belichick detailed how the team approaches the deadline when it comes to targeting players who may be available, and then working to get a deal done.

"Well, generally speaking, I think there are some teams that most teams aren’t going to be involved with – you know, probably their direct competitors in this type of a situation," he said. "Not saying it can’t happen, I just would say that’s a little more unusual. I mean, beyond that, some teams you have more conversations in the league with them than others, but in the end, I’m sure personnel departments in the league are doing the same thing. You look at your roster, you look at the players who are not on your roster – whether they’re on your practice squad or whether they’re on some other team’s practice squad or whether they’re not on anybody’s team – and you put together a list of players that, if you had a need arise, would be the group of players that you go to. And, in conjunction with that, you look at the rosters of the other 31 teams in the league, and based on what you know, other information that you gather, the inactive list every week and the play time, you can start to see which players have a diminished role in another team’s system, for whatever those reasons are. And, a lot of times if a team has a need in an area and they match that up with another team who’s not making a player active that the team with the depth issue feels like that player could give them depth, well then that’s a potential conversation. It doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, but that’s a potential conversation.

"So, for example in the [Akeem] Ayers trade with Tennessee a couple of years ago, Akeem wasn’t getting much playing time down there, was inactive for – I forget however many games it was, but it was for a couple games – and when we inquired about him or they mentioned it to us, however it went – I mean, look, if you’re making a player inactive every week and you can gain something in return on a trade, then maybe there’s something to talk about there. I don’t know. So, again, every situation is different, every team is different, every player’s situation is different. I mean, there’s no go to the book on trades. OK, chapter one, here’s how it goes. It just doesn’t really work that way. It’s a very fluid situation. Things can change literally in a period of minutes, and I mean, that’s the world we live in, and there are a lot of things in that situation that are out of our control, out of any team’s control. I mean, anytime you’re trying to exchange players, you have to find somebody else that you can find the right or fair exchange with that both teams feel is fair so that they’ll do it.

"So, that’s, I would say, in this business, not the easiest thing to do. There’s a lot of learning and communication and system pick up or familiarity that plays into the whole player exchange, so in a way, the player that you have that knows the system, knows what he’s doing, knows everything that he needs to do in your system has a good value to you. That’s what you put all the time and training into. So, if you get another player that doesn’t have that, there’s got to be enough to offset it or enough of a need to go through that.

"So, each one’s different. I wouldn’t try to read too much into any of it. I think trying to predict what’s going to happen this time of year is – I don’t have any idea. I’m sure a lot of the other experts out there do, but I don’t. So, you just take it as it comes. If it makes sense and it works, then great. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t."

Last year of course the Patriots traded Jamie Collins to the Browns at the deadline.
So from what Bill is saying, it perhaps makes more sense to look at where teams have excess depth at a position and matching that with teams who have needs at that position.

This likely doesn't include players who are actually starting for teams right now.

I don't think he and Detroit parted on the best of terms.  I forgot the details, but I think they made him pay back part of his bonus when other teams have been known to say "thank you" to retiring superstars by letting them keep the bonus money. 
Correct. IIRC the quote this morning specifically excluded playing for the Lions. It may have even mentioned only playing for a contender as well.

Calvin Johnson was around the Raiders during training camp/preseason. Perhaps there is still some mutual interest there?

I don't really think the Raiders need another WR much, their needs are more on defense.

I like how they say the Bronco's or Seahawks should buy Brown with potential compensation of a 3rd or 4th rounder... and then on the Texans entry say they should sell him with potential compensation of a 1st or 2nd.
Sounds pretty typical of player values in dynasty leagues

"I would buy for 3rd, but if I owned player X, I would want a 1st"

They're 5-2, of course they are in contention right now.  As much as they don't look anything like a Super Bowl champ, neither did the Giants or Ravens (who won it) or Cardinals (who came one play away) at this point.

They're 5-2, of course they are in contention right now.  As much as they don't look anything like a Super Bowl champ, neither did the Giants or Ravens (who won it) or Cardinals (who came one play away) at this point.
I don't think they look like Giants or Ravens and don't think their FO is at anytime sitting around right now viewing themselves as contenders. Great coached team, plays hard, got to be happy if you root for Bills that nice foundation is in place but this FO is not making a win now move.

A Tampa beat writer I follow, Roy Cummings, tweeted out earlier that the Jags and Eagles had interest in Calvin.

ETA-and all he did was tweet out video of Mort saying Eagles and Jags had interest. I'd have known this earlier had I clicked on his link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw that two teams inquired about trading for Frank Gore.  I'm not sure why the Colts wouldn't make a trade for any late draft pick.

Nice synopsis.  I thought the Steelers deactivating MB and then seeing JuJu blow up may increase the odds of a trade, and then when Tomlin refused to say that he saw a future in Pittsburgh for MB, the signals became even stronger.  I feel like there is enough smoke here that a fire has a decent shot of happening.

Hyde seems like a top candidate but so many RB's do I just left that position alone. Hyde, Jeremy Hill, Gore, Forte and a NE RB are the key RB's off the top of my head it would not surprise me to see move. Thing with RB's is trying to sort out who might pay for one and in a case of a guy like Hill would what a team pays be less than what they might get as a comp pic but more than any other position would so many trades makes sense than RB.  If I had to take a guess out of the group I mentioned the most likely to get dealt would be Hyde and Gore.

So the Texans’ weakest position is OL (yes I know DB needs work too) and their solution is to trade their best OL?

They better be getting some picks back that they traded away but this still makes no sense. 

You now feel like you’ve finally found a franchise QB and you decide to trade guys who will actually protect him? Rick Smith at it again. 

So the Texans’ weakest position is OL (yes I know DB needs work too) and their solution is to trade their best OL?

They better be getting some picks back that they traded away but this still makes no sense. 

You now feel like you’ve finally found a franchise QB and you decide to trade guys who will actually protect him? Rick Smith at it again. 
The guy played one game all year and didn't wanna be there

Users who are viewing this thread