Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
FF Ninja

Was the Garoppolo trade a good or bad trade for the 49ers?

Was the Garappolo trade a good or bad trade for the 49ers?  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

Nope, because they could have had him for free instead of giving up a draft pick,  and signed him for 5 million a year less so 3 years from now they could use that extra cap space to continue their dynasty and everyone in the league already pinkie swore that they wouldn't try to sign JG. 

I was about to blow up on you till i read the end of that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was about to blow up on you till i read the end of that.

Same. I realized at the very end “sarcasm”. It took me a minute. Which is the best kind of sarcasm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 8:09 PM, Deamon said:

Look, obviously no one knows if ANYONE is franchise worthy or not.  We all thought Goff wouldn't be after year 1.  We've thought RG3 would be after a year.  It's easy to just say 'we don't know".  However, his sample size still makes him more likely franchise worthy than Baker Mayfield. 

I don't think there's anyone out there that doesn't take JG+pick 10 over Mayfield + pick 35.

Not sure why Maysfield is your example. No one is taking him at 1.2/1.3. The 1.2/1.3 carries much more value than 1.10 and is worth 1.10 Plus Late 1st (which is > Maysfield). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeaton6 said:

Not sure why Maysfield is your example. No one is taking him at 1.2/1.3. The 1.2/1.3 carries much more value than 1.10 and is worth 1.10 Plus Late 1st (which is > Maysfield). 

I'm kind of confused what you're getting at here.  Mays was my example because in the likely case that JG signed for one of the other 7 teams likely after him this offseason, one of the thoughts was that they could take a QB.  I dont think there's any chance that they go into next season with Beathard as their starter.  We all know that wasn't a possibility.  So if the top 2 qbs are gone, what would SF do at 3?  They'd get a hell of a player, yes.  But don't you think they'd be THRILLED to draft JG at that 3 spot?  And after that, you're comparing pick 1.10 to 2.3.  I like pick 1.10 better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I'm kind of confused what you're getting at here.  Mays was my example because in the likely case that JG signed for one of the other 7 teams likely after him this offseason, one of the thoughts was that they could take a QB.  I dont think there's any chance that they go into next season with Beathard as their starter.  We all know that wasn't a possibility.  So if the top 2 qbs are gone, what would SF do at 3?  They'd get a hell of a player, yes.  But don't you think they'd be THRILLED to draft JG at that 3 spot?  And after that, you're comparing pick 1.10 to 2.3.  I like pick 1.10 better.

I’m more confused because you seem to be insinuating that Mayfield would  have gone 1.3 which is highly unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jeaton6 said:

I’m more confused because you seem to be insinuating that Mayfield would  have gone 1.3 which is highly unlikely. 

I agree.  I'm saying if SF went into draft day with Beathard as their QB, and the 1.03 pick they'd likely have, that would be an awful situation... they'd have to hope someone wanted to trade up, or really really reach on their 'franchise' qb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 8:17 PM, Deamon said:

He was going to get more than Tyrod money this offseason even if he didn't sniff the field, so wouldn't making this trade be the only way for them to see more of him before paying him like you suggest is needed?

Not if someone else traded for him and gave him the 4 games. I know I know more likely if he performs that team resigns him. Though  don’t they have more than enough cap space to win a bidding war? Who knows. Anyways I’m not arguing it was a bad trade just that people should slow their roll. Calling him the answer is very short sighted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was about to blow up on you till i read the end of that.

:lol: yep

The only way this was a bad trade, other than JG busting next year, would be if they would have signed him or cousins much cheaper (which seems unlikely). 

It's more likely the pick they traded will bust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jeaton6 said:

Not if someone else traded for him and gave him the 4 games. I know I know more likely if he performs that team resigns him. Though  don’t they have more than enough cap space to win a bidding war? Who knows. Anyways I’m not arguing it was a bad trade just that people should slow their roll. Calling him the answer is very short sighted. 

All I'm saying is even if he didn't sniff the field this year as a Pat, he'd be commanding Tyrod money next year.  This trade didn't change how much money he'd be getting by some astronomical number.  No one is saying he's a savior.  But based on many things, he looks like he's going to be an above average QB, with a very high ceiling.  He's been Shannys guy all along, and now he got him.

As for outbidding, there's a lot of teams that could bid on him.  Maybe Elway brings him in for a meeting and workout, and never lets him leave.  Throws the farm at him the keys to the city and he takes them.  Or maybe he has a grandma in Phoenix or a girlfriend in New York, and both teams want to give him monster deals.  We really have no clue where he would sign.  8 teams would likely have made the call to him.  (NYG, CLE, ARI, SF, DEN, NYJ, BUF, Wildcard Team).  5 probably would have been chasing him hard.  3 probably have good situations, money, and have great facility tours with him.  I give him about a 1/3 chance at best of landing with san fran without this trade.  Even if it was 90% (it's not near that), you give up that pick every single time to make sure that 10% doesn't win.  You go get your guy and you don't let him leave.  Love the forward thinking and proactive style of thinking when some GM's prefer to be reactive and never get out of the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jeaton6 said:

I’m more confused because you seem to be insinuating that Mayfield would  have gone 1.3 which is highly unlikely. 

It’s not highly unlikely, it’s a total impossibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, petekrum said:

It’s not highly unlikely, it’s a total impossibility.

Baffled by the fact that you think Darnold is some mega stud and Mayfield is a bum. 

Scouts are busting a nut over Mayfield, and if he puts on a clinic tomorrow, man has a chance to be #1 (I WANT my Browns to take him at 1)

Meanwhile, everyone and their dog thinks Darnold needs to chill another year in college to learn how not to throw picks and fumble the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

Baffled by the fact that you think Darnold is some mega stud and Mayfield is a bum. 

Scouts are busting a nut over Mayfield, and if he puts on a clinic tomorrow, man has a chance to be #1 (I WANT my Browns to take him at 1)

Meanwhile, everyone and their dog thinks Darnold needs to chill another year in college to learn how not to throw picks and fumble the ball

There is no chance Mayfield goes number one, sorry. Never said Darnold is a mega stud, only that if he comes out there is no chance he doesn’t go before Mayfield. You’ll look back one day and breath a huge sigh of relieve that your Browns didn’t Mayfield at one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been following this thread.  So much so in fact, that it prompted me to create an account just to reply.  

The OP is lost and cannot admit he made an error in judgement.  Seems like major hubris at this point to continue on with ridiculous assertions, when the premise of your argument relies upon completely erroneous points already proven wrong, such as:

(1) JG arrived into a chaotic situation, one that was "definitely" set up for complete failure.  Note that he emphatically stated that point (we "definitely know"), as it were fact.  Meanwhile JG proceeds to set records for passing yards and winning starts by a QB on a new team.  No need to expand there.

(2) That a "junior" GM and HC's in Lynch and Shanahan blundered by taking this pick now - that a better deal awaited had they waited until the offseason.  Laughable.  They stole a franchise QB who literally may be a top 5 QB next year in exchange for a 2nd RD pick.  If JG turns out to be half of what he looks like he can be now, this will be the steal of the century.  Who would wait on a franchise changing QB in hopes of saving a couple mil per year? I'll tell you who - Trent Baalke.  Hence the reason he's out of a job.  Maybe he created this account to post it?

Those were two of the more ridiculous points he made and is still twisting to defend.  His whole shtick seems to be to work backwards based upon what we know now and assert what could or would have happened had the 49ers played it "right".  Nobody knows what the price tag would have been had the 49ers waited until the offseason, but common sense buddy, when you have the chance to take a Ferrari for a 2nd rounder you don't wait on it to save what amounts to be what, 2-7% of your cap space per year, if that.  You take the that guy now.

Dumbest garbage I've read on any sports page in years!

Edited by Nbay49er
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rest of the AFC East thinks this was a great trade. Whew, don't need another 10 years with the Pats having a superstar QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.