What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saudi Arabia: What is going on? (1 Viewer)

I would think that a civil war would have happened already if there was going to be one.  From the sounds of things, the characters that were removed were doing quite a bit of foreign medeling, supported wahhabism, and the country hasn't been doing well financially since fracking.  There are probably factions that would still be loyal to the opposing faction, but they are crippled without money.  
With this week's arrests, MBS removed one set of opponents in a future battle for succession.  He still faces the difficult challenge of managing change in a volatile society.  The 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution and the 40th of the fall of the Shah are reminders that entrenched monarchies can topple quickly under the right circumstances.  The military, Islamists, Iranian-backed Shia minorities and an increasingly educated and impatient middle class are all variables in the equation.

Sinn Fein said:
Just another reminder that we should be continuing to diversify our energy dependence away from oil...
Even the Saudis are diversifying away from oil (although if the rest of the world beat them to it, they will have plenty left...)

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump

Dopey Prince @Alwaleed_Talal wants to control our U.S. politicians with daddy’s money. Can’t do it when I get elected. #Trump2016

10:53 PM - Dec 11, 2015

wtf?

BREAKING: Saudi Arabia has declared war on Lebanon and Hezbollah, says Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah

link

Hezbollah's Nasrallah: Saudi Arabia Inciting Israel to Strike Lebanon
Hezbollah leader says Saudi Arabia has declared war on Lebanon and is detaining PM Hariri, warns Israel against 'any attempt to exploit the situation'

Reuters and The Associated Press Nov 10, 2017 4:18 PM

An image grab taken from Hezbollah's al-Manar TV on November 10, 2017 shows Hassan Nasrallah, the head of Lebanon's militant Shiite movement Hezbollah, giving a televised address from an undisclosed l HO/AFP

Hezbollah's leader Hassan Nasrallah said on Friday that Saudi Arabia had declared war on Lebanon and the Iran-backed group, accusing Riyadh of detaining Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri and forcing him to resign.
Nasrallah said Saudi Arabia's detention of Hariri was an insult to all Lebanese and he must return to Lebanon. 
Nasrallah also said Riyadh is inciting Israel to strike Lebanon, and his militant group is watching carefully for any Israeli attempts to use the crisis to begin hostilities against Lebanon. He said Israel is cautious, however, and unlikely to make such a move.

In a televised speech, Nasrallah said "Let us say things as they are: the man is detained in Saudi Arabia and and forbidden until this moment from returning to Lebanon." Nasrallah called Hariri's resignation last Saturday an "unprecedented Saudi intervention" in Lebanese politics. 

"It is clear that Saudi Arabia and Saudi officials have declared war on Lebanon and on Hezbollah in Lebanon," he said.
He said Lebanon's government was still legitimate and had not resigned, saying Hariri's "forced" resignation is unconstitutional because it was done "under duress."
"Saudi will fail in Lebanon as it has failed on all fronts," Nasrallah said. 

read more: https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/1.822100

Business is about to pickup 

The high level source said once crowned king, the prince will shift his focus to Iran, a long standing rival oil empire to Saudi Arabia in the Middle East, with fears military action is possible.

He will also enlist the help of the Israeli military to crush Hezbollah, the Lebanese militia supported by Iran, according to the source. 

'MBS is convinced that he has to hit Iran and Hezbollah,' he said. 'Contrary to the advice of the royal family elders, that's MBS's next target. Hence why the ruler of Kuwait privately calls him "The raging Bull". 

'MBS's plan is to start the fire in Lebanon, but he's hoping to count on Israeli military backing. He has already promised Israel billions of dollars in direct financial aid if they agree. 

'MBS can not confront Hezbollah in Lebanon without Israel. Plan B is to fight Hezbollah in Syria,' said the source. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5089229/Saudi-Arabia-king-set-hand-crown-son.html

Hezbollah's leader Hassan Nasrallah said on Friday that Saudi Arabia had declared war on Lebanon and the Iran-backed group, accusing Riyadh of detaining Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri and forcing him to resign.

Nasrallah said Saudi Arabia's detention of Hariri was an insult to all Lebanese and he must return to Lebanon.
Nasrallah also said Riyadh is inciting Israel to strike Lebanon, and his militant group is watching carefully for any Israeli attempts to use the crisis to begin hostilities against Lebanon. He said Israel is cautious, however, and unlikely to make such a move.

In a televised speech, Nasrallah said "Let us say things as they are: the man is detained in Saudi Arabia and and forbidden until this moment from returning to Lebanon." Nasrallah called Hariri's resignation last Saturday an "unprecedented Saudi intervention" in Lebanese politics.
Saad al-Hariri "unresigns" after returning to Lebanon from Saudi Arabia

This is certainly a huge shocker to some but old media is glossing over the US' involvement & backing of Saudi Arabia in its brutal war on Yemen.  

http://fair.org/home/ignoring-washingtons-role-in-yemen-carnage-60-minutes-paints-us-as-savior/

for those keeping score, in the past 2 wks

WaPo editorial washingtonpost.com/opinions/globa…
WaPo explainer washingtonpost.com/news/worldview…
60 Minutes cbsnews.com/news/when-food…

have all ignored US military support of Saudi bombing in Yemen while covering Yemen

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/932869383000592385

This is certainly a huge shocker to some but old media is glossing over the US' involvement & backing of Saudi Arabia in its brutal war on Yemen.  

http://fair.org/home/ignoring-washingtons-role-in-yemen-carnage-60-minutes-paints-us-as-savior/

have all ignored US military support of Saudi bombing in Yemen while covering Yemen

>>While the United States has expressed growing concern about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, it has backed Saudi Arabia in the conflict, which the Saudis have portrayed as a broader struggle against Iran’s influence in the region.<<

- NYT article which I posted in the Yemen thread.

>>While the United States has expressed growing concern about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, it has backed Saudi Arabia in the conflict, which the Saudis have portrayed as a broader struggle against Iran’s influence in the region.<<

- NYT article which I posted in the Yemen thread.
??

(One might hope that the U.S. national security establishment would apply a bit more pressure on the Saudis to halt the U.S.-backed war that’s killing thousands of Yemeni civilians and has the country on the brink of an epochal famine.)
Slate article linked to by Joe Summer just before your post

Funny that there have been lots of stories about waiting for Apple to become the first 1TN dollar company.  If Aramco issues an IPO it crushes that.
It only now dawned on me how appropriate it is to get commentary on Saudi Arabian matters from someone with the handle "Sand"

:P  

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Incredible and not in a good way. I guess that takes the option of recalling our ambassador as a protest of their actions off the table.

Does Trump have problems getting people to take these jobs because association with this administration makes an individual a permanent pariah in the international community or is he just too lazy/incompetent to do his job?

D͖̭̬͎̜̠̼e͙̝͉m̡͉̰ó̗c̮̥̜̞̜͍̞r͚͍̱̝̥̘̱a͡c̸̣̭̩̹͖y̵̺̭̰̙ ̩̹D̖̖̣̳̀i̪͔͉̘e͍̫͍͕͉̣̲s͉̳̹̫̣̻ͅ ̩̥͓́I̖̬͎̦̣͔͞ͅn͉̰̟̠͞ ̸̱̞D̥̱̭͈̪̗a͓̲͖̝͕͠r͕̖k̲nẹ͡s̻̮̣͞s͖

IN THE WAKE of the disappearance and likely murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, some of the most fervent and righteous voices demanding that others sever their ties with the Saudi regime have, understandably, come from his colleagues at that paper. “Why do you work for a murderer?,” asked the Post’s long-time Editorial Page Editor Fred Hiatt, addressing unnamed hypothetical Washington luminaries who continue to take money to do work for the despots in Riyadh, particularly Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, or “MbS” as he has been affectionately known in the western press.

Hiatt urged these hypothetical figures to engage in serious self-reflection: “Can I possibly work for such a regime, and still look at myself in the mirror each morning?” That, said Hiatt, “is the question that we, as a nation, must ask ourselves now.”

But to find those for whom this question is directly relevant, Hiatt need not invoke his imagination or resort to hypotheticals. He can instead look to a place far more concrete and proximate: his own staff. Because it is there – on the roster of the Washington Post’s own columnists and Contributing Writers – that one can find, still, those who maintain among the closest links to the Saudi regime and have the longest and most shameful history of propagandizing on their behalf.

The Washington Post, as it Shames Others, Continues to Pay and Publish Undisclosed Saudi Lobbyists and Other Regime Propagandists

so the Saudi's who didn't know anything about the disappearance of Khashoggi are now prepared to admit that he died under interrogation gone bad...you can see how they get along so well with the Trumps...how long will it be until this story changes?  how are they going to explain accidentally cutting up/destroying his body to cover up the murder?   this isn't going to end well...

Jim Sciutto‏Verified account @jimsciutto

Breaking: Saudis are preparing report acknowledging Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey - @clarissaward @TimListerCNN reporting

12:15 PM - 15 Oct 2018

so the Saudi's who didn't know anything about the disappearance of Khashoggi are now prepared to admit that he died under interrogation gone bad...you can see how they get along so well with the Trumps...how long will it be until this story changes?  how are they going to explain accidentally cutting up/destroying his body to cover up the murder?   this isn't going to end well...

Jim Sciutto‏Verified account @jimsciutto

Breaking: Saudis are preparing report acknowledging Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey - @clarissaward @TimListerCNN reporting

12:15 PM - 15 Oct 2018
Interrogations often go wrong when you bring a bone saw.

that part of the world people kill people all the time, dtrump should be able to use the lies told by saudi in attempts to cover this up for advantage but what looked to be a story really isn't at all I don't think

Saudis will give the Trumps and /or Jared a new hotel and we'll look the other way.
Well the USA looked the other way after 9/11, so not much is new
I don't think this is what happened.  I remember a few people wanting to divert attention to Iraq even though a bunch of other people said Iraq wasn't justified and another country was a bigger culprit.  All the names of these people escape me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is what happened.  I remember a few people wanting to divert attention to Iraq even though a bunch of other people said Iraq wasn't justified and another country was a bigger culprit.  All the names of these people escape me though.
Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld...it's all coming back to me.

that part of the world people kill people all the time, dtrump should be able to use the lies told by saudi in attempts to cover this up for advantage but what looked to be a story really isn't at all I don't think
Saudi Arabia has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Trump loves their criminal justice system.

Users who are viewing this thread