What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hosting Thanksgiving for the 1st time, what's your best dish? (1 Viewer)

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy
Looking for your best go to Thanksgiving dish with the recipe. 

My kitchen setup and available gear

1 - Charcoal Kettle Grill

1 - Regular oven with 5 burner top

1 - Large Toaster Oven

1 - Crockpot

1- Air Fryer

1- Instapot 

NO MICROWAVE

Last edited by a moderator:
Corn casserole:

1 box of jiffy corn mix

1/2 stick of butter

1 can of cream corn

1 egg

1 can of regular corn (do NOT drain the liquid)

1 cup of sour cream

1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Put the butter in a large glass baking dish and stick it in the oven while it preheats to 375.  Then mix all of the ingredients but the cheese in a large bowl using a spoon.  Some lumpiness is good.  Take the dish out of the oven, pour the ingredients in and then sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese.  Bake for 25-35 minutes (similar to a cake, just check the center with a toothpick...if nothing sticks, it is done).

This stuff is a hit every time we make it.

If you don't have the meat dish down pat, Thanksgiving is no time to experiment.  Buy a nice ham or something.

If you don't have the meat dish down pat, Thanksgiving is no time to experiment.  Buy a nice ham or something.
My turkey game is on point. No worries there. Smoking one the day before to for sandwiches etc and one on Thursday for the "main sit down" meal. 

Corn Bake

1 can of corn (undrained)

1 can of cream corn

1 stick of butter

1 bag of shredded colby cheese (2 cup bag)

1 cup of elbow noodles (unboiled)

Mix cans of corn, cheese, and noodles in a round glass baking dish.  Cut the butter stick into slices on top.  Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes. 

Stir once half way through.  

It will be a staple for years to come and quick to make when you have other things going on.  Kids love it as well.  

Thanksgiving is no time to get cute.  Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberries and pumpkin pie is all you need.  Just do the basics and do them well for a fantastic Thanksgiving feast.  Save all the fancy dishes for Christmas.

Broccoli casserole 

large sauce pan

fine chop one medium onion and 4 stalks of celery, sautéed in a stick of butter

add two cups of cooked, chopped broccoli

add a cup of cooked minute rice

add a can of cream of celery soup

mix and let all ingredients simmer for a few minutes and then out into a Pyrex dish

cube up a sharp cheddar cheese and stick all into the casserole, top with plain bread crumbs

cook 400 for 45 minutes or until you see it start to bubble

Favorite dish is the hot chick hired to be the help.

You DID hire help after all, I presume. 

Your turkey and half the side dishes can be crap as long as you have good stuffing and mashed potatoes w/ gravy 

nail those two and you have a successful menu

Cranberry Salsa

1 C   water

1 C   sugar

1 bag   fresh cranberries (12 oz)

2 T chopped jalapeno peppers (fresh or canned), or to taste

1 T fresh cilantro

¼ t cumin

1          green onion (white and green parts), chopped

1t lime juice

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Add cranberries; return to boil.  Gently boil cranberries 10 minutes without stirring.  Pour into a medium-size glass mixing bowl.

Gently stir in remaining ingredients.  Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on salsa.  Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.

I'll post a few that I am doing.  They are easy to make and full of flavor, which to me, is the key to a successful big dinner.  How many people are you feeding?

Mexican Street Corn Casserole

prep time: 5 MINScook time: 30 MINStotal time: 35 mins

INGREDIENTS:

5-1/4 cups corn (approximately 7 ears of corn)

1/4 cup mayonnaise

3/4 cup sour cream

juice of 1 lime

1 tsp chili powder

3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 cup pepper jack cheese

1/4 cup crumbled feta

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine corn, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, parmesan cheese and pepper jack cheese.

Pour corn mixture into prepared pan.

Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with feta cheese.

Read more at http://www.plainchicken.com/2017/09/mexican-street-corn-casserole.html#gUR5Ux4524l1MEs5.99

Crab Cakes. Not those hush puppy abominations they serve in PA, either. If you've never made real crab cakes, just use the recipe on the Old Bay can and you'll be fine.

1 lb lump crab meat

2 slices bread, crusts removed

2 tbsp mayo

2 tsp Old Bay

2 tsp dried parsley flakes

1/2 tsp mustard

1 egg, beaten

Crumble bread in large bowl. Mix in mayo, Old Bay, parsley, mustard, & egg. Gently stir in crab meat. Shape into 4 patties. Broil 10 minutes or fry until golden brown. Serves 4.

Makes a good 2nd entree, especially with pork or beef as the main. You can also make balls instead of cakes and use them as appetizers.

Smashed Potatoes with Gouda and Horseradish

Serves 6-8

3 pounds unpeeled red potatoes, cut into eighths
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup whole or 2% milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded gouda (about 6 ounces)
1 !/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place potatoes and salt in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until very tender when pricked with a sharp knife. (This could be anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.) Drain and return to the pot.

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and milk over medium heat until butter is melted and milk is warmed through. Stir the milk mixture into the (still hot) potatoes, followed by the gouda, sour cream and horseradish. Using a potato masher, smash the potatoes until thick and creamy, with a few small chunks of potatoes throughout. Season with kosher salt (2 1/2 teaspoons was the perfect amount for me) and lots of freshly ground pepper.

Two of my favorites Thanksgiving sides are family traditions that my MIL makes. Scalloped oysters and Creamed pearl onions. Only get them once a year.

Sorry, no recipes.

I get compliments on these every time, as well as recipe requests.  I'll do the first step of cooking the mushrooms and filling them the night before, so all I have to do is throw them in the oven the day of event..

Sausage & Asiago Stuffed Mushrooms with Balsamic Glaze

20 large mushrooms, cleaned with damp paper towel, stem removed and saved for later use
2 links Italian sausage
1 tsp dried rosemary OR 2 tsp fresh, finely chopped
1 tsp dried fennel seed
1 onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces (120grams) cream cheese
3 ounces (90grams) Asiago cheese, grated
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms with the balsamic vinegar and 3 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.  Place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in a preheated 350* oven for about 30 min.  Stir once or twice.  Remove from oven.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium high heat, squeeze the sausage meat out of the casing  and cook until no longer pink, breaking it apart with the back of a spoon.  You want it fairly crumbly and in small pieces.  Stir in onions and garlic and spices, and cook a few minutes longer, until onion is softened.  (If you find that your sausage filling is too greasy, drain it on paper towel first before adding the cheese.) Remove from heat and place into a bowl, along with the cheeses (save some of the Asiago for topping).  Stir well to combine.   Take a teaspoon and fill each mushroom cap.  Sprinkle with  remaining Asiago.  Bake at 375* for about 30-40 minutes, until golden.  Can easily be doubled if feeding a large crowd.  Recipe adapted from Food 52.

I love cooking..but I hate making Thanksgiving dinner with a passion. The time, mess and cleanup. So good luck!

Can't forget desert.  Pumpkin and/or pecan pie is a given...but if you want an option that's different to go with them:

Gingerbread Cream Pie

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1-5.1 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix

2 cups cold milk

2 tablespoons molasses

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/8 teaspoon cloves

1 1/2 cups heavy cream + 1/4 cup powdered sugar

1-9" blind baked pie shell

Directions:

In a large bowl, whip vanilla pudding with milk. Sit 3 minutes to thicken, then stir in molasses and spices.

In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream with powdered sugar until stiff. Fold one third into pudding mixture and then pour into baked pie shell. Top with remaining cream, sprinkle with a little nutmeg for garnish {optional}. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

The Best French SIlk Pie

This pie is insanely good and can be made a few days before.  I double the espresso powder and add about a half shot of Kahlua to the whipped topping to give it a chocolate coffee flavor.  It does take about an hour to make the filling, but most of that is waiting for the mixer while adding eggs.  Don't try to shorten this step as all that mixer time dissolves the sugar.  If you don't dissolve the sugar, the filling will be grainy.  Other than time, this pie is super simple to make.  Oh yeah, I usually just use a pre-made Oreo crust instead of making my own.

Ingredients:

Crust
20 Oreo cookies, finely crushed (I use chocolate-filled Oreos rather than white-filled, and regular rather than Double-Stuffed)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Filling
6 ounces dark chocolate, at least 72%, melted (unsweetened baker’s chocolate may be substituted)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups ultrafine sugar, also called ultrafine or baker’s sugar (using granulated sugar could result in graininess; use at your discretion)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional but recommended
pinch salt, optional and to taste
4 large eggs, at room temperature

Topping
8 ounces whipped topping (thawed and stirred well, lite okay) or 2 cups freshly whipped cream
3 to 4 ounces dark chocolate (72% or higher) roughly chopped, for sprinkling

Directions:

Crust – Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9-inch pie dish wish cooking spray; set aside.

Add Oreos to the canister of a food processor and process until finely ground, 1 to 2 minutes on high power; set aside.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.

Add melted butter to canister of food processor and process until incorporated, about 30 seconds.

Turn crumbs out into prepared pie dish and using your fingers, hard-pack the mixture to create a crust, making sure to cover sides of pie dish.

Bake for 10 minutes, or until just set. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Filling – In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate, about 1 to 2 minutes on high power. Stop after 1 minute to check and stir. Heat in 15 second increments until chocolate can be stirred smooth; set aside to cool.

To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, and beat on high power until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, stopping as necessary to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mixture should be very pale, almost white; the lighter and fluffier the better to ensure sugar is well on it’s way to being dissolved and incorporated fully.

Add the vanilla, espresso granules, optional salt, cooled chocolate, and beat on high power until incorporated and mixture is fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, remove paddle attachment, switch to whisk attachment, add 1 egg, and beat for 5 minutes on high power.

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the second egg, beat for 5 minutes on high power. Repeat process with remaining eggs. Eggs are added 1 at a time, spaced 5 minutes apart, for a total of 20 minutes active whipping time. After 20 minutes, make sure your mixture is smooth, silky, fluffy, with zero traces of graininess. Continue beating until you’re satisfied with the smoothness because this is what your pie will taste like.

Turn mixture out into crust, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Cover with plasticwrap and place in fridge for at least 4 hours (overnight is better) for pie to set up fully.

Topping – Add the whipped topping/cream, smoothing it lightly with a spatula. I left a bare margin of 1-inch for visual appeal so you can see the chocolate; cover surface fully if preferred.

Sprinkle evenly with chopped chocolate before slicing and serving. Pie will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.

stuffing:
1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings
1/2 C- finely chopped onion
1/2 C- finely chopped celery
1/2 C- butter
1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples
1 C- dried cherries
1/3 C- cherry brandy
1 loaf- french baguette cubed
1/4 tsp- cinnamon
1/4 tsp- mace
1 tsp- salt
1/4 tsp- ground black pepper
1- 2 C- chicken broth
pinch nutmeg
pinch dreid sage
pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or until golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 1 1/2 hrs until internal temp reaches 150. 

i have also used dried currants and apricots

Stuffing is key.   A sweet potato casserole with the marshmallow topping is also a big hit.   Always do fresh cranberry sauce and/or apple sauce.  People love the sweet dishes to balance out all the saltiness.  

Smashed Potatoes with Gouda and Horseradish

Serves 6-8

3 pounds unpeeled red potatoes, cut into eighths
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup whole or 2% milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded gouda (about 6 ounces)
1 !/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place potatoes and salt in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until very tender when pricked with a sharp knife. (This could be anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.) Drain and return to the pot.

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and milk over medium heat until butter is melted and milk is warmed through. Stir the milk mixture into the (still hot) potatoes, followed by the gouda, sour cream and horseradish. Using a potato masher, smash the potatoes until thick and creamy, with a few small chunks of potatoes throughout. Season with kosher salt (2 1/2 teaspoons was the perfect amount for me) and lots of freshly ground pepper.
That sounds heavenly!  Thanks for adding this.

Great thread.  Great ideas (some of them, some of them I wouldn't feed to a dog).

Looking for your best go to Thanksgiving dish with the recipe. 

My kitchen setup and available gear

1 - Charcoal Kettle Grill
If you smoke your turkey (and I highly recommend that you do) be sure to put a foil pan underneath it to catch the drippings. Smoked Turkey gravy is probably my favorite part of the meal.  :thumbup:

Can't forget desert.  Pumpkin and/or pecan pie is a given...but if you want an option that's different to go with them:

Gingerbread Cream Pie

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1-5.1 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix

2 cups cold milk

2 tablespoons molasses

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/8 teaspoon cloves

1 1/2 cups heavy cream + 1/4 cup powdered sugar

1-9" blind baked pie shell

Directions:

In a large bowl, whip vanilla pudding with milk. Sit 3 minutes to thicken, then stir in molasses and spices.

In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream with powdered sugar until stiff. Fold one third into pudding mixture and then pour into baked pie shell. Top with remaining cream, sprinkle with a little nutmeg for garnish {optional}. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

The Best French SIlk Pie

This pie is insanely good and can be made a few days before.  I double the espresso powder and add about a half shot of Kahlua to the whipped topping to give it a chocolate coffee flavor.  It does take about an hour to make the filling, but most of that is waiting for the mixer while adding eggs.  Don't try to shorten this step as all that mixer time dissolves the sugar.  If you don't dissolve the sugar, the filling will be grainy.  Other than time, this pie is super simple to make.  Oh yeah, I usually just use a pre-made Oreo crust instead of making my own.

Ingredients:

Crust
20 Oreo cookies, finely crushed (I use chocolate-filled Oreos rather than white-filled, and regular rather than Double-Stuffed)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Filling
6 ounces dark chocolate, at least 72%, melted (unsweetened baker’s chocolate may be substituted)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups ultrafine sugar, also called ultrafine or baker’s sugar (using granulated sugar could result in graininess; use at your discretion)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional but recommended
pinch salt, optional and to taste
4 large eggs, at room temperature

Topping
8 ounces whipped topping (thawed and stirred well, lite okay) or 2 cups freshly whipped cream
3 to 4 ounces dark chocolate (72% or higher) roughly chopped, for sprinkling

Directions:

Crust – Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9-inch pie dish wish cooking spray; set aside.

Add Oreos to the canister of a food processor and process until finely ground, 1 to 2 minutes on high power; set aside.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.

Add melted butter to canister of food processor and process until incorporated, about 30 seconds.

Turn crumbs out into prepared pie dish and using your fingers, hard-pack the mixture to create a crust, making sure to cover sides of pie dish.

Bake for 10 minutes, or until just set. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Filling – In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate, about 1 to 2 minutes on high power. Stop after 1 minute to check and stir. Heat in 15 second increments until chocolate can be stirred smooth; set aside to cool.

To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, and beat on high power until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, stopping as necessary to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mixture should be very pale, almost white; the lighter and fluffier the better to ensure sugar is well on it’s way to being dissolved and incorporated fully.

Add the vanilla, espresso granules, optional salt, cooled chocolate, and beat on high power until incorporated and mixture is fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, remove paddle attachment, switch to whisk attachment, add 1 egg, and beat for 5 minutes on high power.

Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the second egg, beat for 5 minutes on high power. Repeat process with remaining eggs. Eggs are added 1 at a time, spaced 5 minutes apart, for a total of 20 minutes active whipping time. After 20 minutes, make sure your mixture is smooth, silky, fluffy, with zero traces of graininess. Continue beating until you’re satisfied with the smoothness because this is what your pie will taste like.

Turn mixture out into crust, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Cover with plasticwrap and place in fridge for at least 4 hours (overnight is better) for pie to set up fully.

Topping – Add the whipped topping/cream, smoothing it lightly with a spatula. I left a bare margin of 1-inch for visual appeal so you can see the chocolate; cover surface fully if preferred.

Sprinkle evenly with chopped chocolate before slicing and serving. Pie will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I make this with a hand mixer?

Corn casserole:

1 box of jiffy corn mix

1/2 stick of butter

1 can of cream corn

1 egg

1 can of regular corn (do NOT drain the liquid)

1 cup of sour cream

1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Put the butter in a large glass baking dish and stick it in the oven while it preheats to 375.  Then mix all of the ingredients but the cheese in a large bowl using a spoon.  Some lumpiness is good.  Take the dish out of the oven, pour the ingredients in and then sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese.  Bake for 25-35 minutes (similar to a cake, just check the center with a toothpick...if nothing sticks, it is done).

This stuff is a hit every time we make it.
You swear this is good?

Users who are viewing this thread