What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What was your BIGGEST WW or TRADE mistake of the 2017 ff season? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
for me it’s a tie bw

1) dropping Marvin Jones after week 5 literally the week before he started playing like we thought he would this year when we drafted him.   Now he’s doing it for another team while we have to decide bw doctson and Martavis Bryant this week.  (I️ have to write “we” instead of I️ BC of this stupid iPhone glitch!) 

and 

2) trading kamara away for Michael Thomas RT after Peterson was traded.   We had a bad feeling about making thebtrade BC it seemed like the saints were shifting to run heavy even back then but we was too tempted by the preseason allure and draft status of thomas.  

Trading away A Cooper, then 2 weeks later having to face him when he blew up against the chiefs. Gut wrenching

Trading for Jameis after the Buffalo game.  I had just lost Rodgers and I thought maybe he turned the corner shoulder-wise.  Apparently not

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropped ADP during his bye week. I can live with that but did same thing with Rex.

lets see where this goes 

traded cooper and l Murray for Fuller after his 1st big week, got me out of an 0-3 hole but now he is next in line to be dropped 

Dropped R Anderson in several leagues after 4-5 weeks. I did the same thing last year with Rishard Mathews. 

Heavily targeting GB players will be my major undoing this year. 

Pre-draft trade in my contract league.

We have 2 rookie-only rounds before we add in veterans, and I had 1.01 and 3.02. I traded them for 1.02 and 3.01, so I took CMC and Julio instead of Fournette and AJG, thinking Julio was a bigger upgrade over Green than the drop-off from Fournette to CMC.  So far, wrong on BOTH counts.

Wanted to pickup McKinnon the week after Cook went down, but passed because I thought Willie Snead was undroppable.  instead I'm now relying on Rex Burkhead as a starter 

I've made a ton of bad decisions this year, my worst year ever.

1) Traded Russell Wilson (have Aaron Rodgers) for Demaryius Thomas. Was tired of Wilson sitting my bench-or playing musical QB's and picking wrong one. Had tried for 2 years to get what I thought was fair value for Wilson but nobody would pay for him. Settled for DT

2) Turned down a chance to trade Randall Cobb for Carlos Hyde.

3) cut Alex Collins after Seattle cut him.

4) Lot of IDP mistakes: cut Nick Vigil before season when I read he would be part time SLB. Cut Matthias Farley when I read he was sharing time with Darius Butler and Geathers was about to be back, cut Kevin Byard in two leagues, can't remember why.

Added and dropped Robbie Anderson once or twice early season

Did not bid for McKinnon

Had a chance to move Keenan Allen early in the season for a pretty hefty price, but held on

I don't have any specific player that sticks out, but in general, I tend to cut guys too soon.  I think I'm great at finding players before they break out, but I don't have the patience to hold on to that breakout game that solidifies their starting spot.  In today's waiver wire/free agency world where there is so much information out there, you have to act fast before anyone else to get a player before they break out.  The downside is that unless there is a quick payoff, I tend to move on to the next breakout player. Then I'll see a waiver wire bidding war on the player I dropped a week or two too early.

Week 1 opened up 20% bid on Tarik Cohen. Never played him once and cut him last week during his bye.

No bids on MacKinnon and Aaron Jones.

Not all on the same team

9/15/2017  Added George Kittle, Dropped Benjamin Watson - paid <1% of budget - but, later re-acquired a Watson for almost 13%

9/20/2017  Added Rashard Higgins, Dropped Robert Woods - paid almost 13% of budget

9/27/2017  Added Geronimo Allison, Dropped Nelson Agholor - paid <1% of budget

10/4/2017  1Added Kenny Britt, Dropped Mohamed Sanu - paid <1% of budget

My mistakes this year seem to be more about inaction than from an action like dropping someone I shouldn't have or a bad trade.

I sat on Rudolph through this season in a PPR when other TEs seemed like they would have had a higher consistent floor in receptions (Brate, Doyle, even Cook). Should have relied on the sense I had early that the MIN offense, while winning, wasn't featuring Rudolph as they have in the past given QB preference and the performances of Cook, Thielen, and Diggs.

I had been thinking constantly through the first few weeks to sell high on guys like Hogan or Montgomery (before Jones coming on the scene) because of my love of the upside and depth potential, when I may have gotten some quality starters through the season.

ETA: Another form of inaction -- not moving early enough on guys that seemed clearly breaking out like JuJu S-S, Richardson, or Robbie Anderson.

drafted Kelce and Gronk.Traded Kelce for Tyreek hill and kirk cousins. I hate Hill so I dropped him and his roller coaster game stats.real happy with Cousins! my other guy was a dismal Eli at the time..

traded Gronk and Pierre Garcon for D. Hopkins and A. Kamara couple weeks ago before Kamara was the big ticket item that he now is..

My mistakes this year seem to be more about inaction than from an action like dropping someone I shouldn't have or a bad trade.

I sat on Rudolph through this season in a PPR when other TEs seemed like they would have had a higher consistent floor in receptions (Brate, Doyle, even Cook). Should have relied on the sense I had early that the MIN offense, while winning, wasn't featuring Rudolph as they have in the past given QB preference and the performances of Cook, Thielen, and Diggs.

I had been thinking constantly through the first few weeks to sell high on guys like Hogan or Montgomery (before Jones coming on the scene) because of my love of the upside and depth potential, when I may have gotten some quality starters through the season.

ETA: Another form of inaction -- not moving early enough on guys that seemed clearly breaking out like JuJu S-S, Richardson, or Robbie Anderson.
Amen on this, bud. This was my league's first season using FABB, so that also affected my decision-making. I passed up bids on Alex Collins, Jerick MacKinnon and Aaron Jones for example, because after week 1 I bid too aggressive on Tarik Cohen in a non-PPR. I was also too skeptical.

Trading Spencer Ware for Willie Snead pre-draft. Already had AB and Adams and assumed Snead would be a high upside WR2 ... so I paid a 5th round keeper price for him. Ouch. To make matters worse, Ware was a 12th and I planned to draft Kareem Hunt as a just in case. Doh!

1) dropping Marvin Jones after week 5 literally the week before he started playing like we thought he would this year when we drafted him.
Same here. Just barely too little patience. 

Gave up on Robbie Anderson and Marvin Jones too early. Apart from that, have a had a relatively mistake free year ! 

Traded Thielen and Ryan for Cousins. Not horrible on the surface but I'm in a keeper league and drafted Thielen in the 12th. Talk about missed ROI. 

Keeping Howard ( for a 10th) and M Thomas( for a 8th) over Gurly . Would've given up the 7th overall pick to keep Gurly. Used the pick to draft Hyde.

Traded R. Wilson and T. Hill for A. Luck and D. Bryant. I was guy checking that Hill would wear down and slow down and while I knew Russ starts slow, at that point Luck was still a week or two away. Ugh, dumb all around. 

I'm pretty happy with what I've done but if I could have one back I'd have just cut bait on Tyrell Williams instead of Ginn when I picked up JuJu about week 4. And then not pick up Decker later on. Let Ginn have that spot. 

Traded R. Wilson and T. Hill for A. Luck and D. Bryant. I was guy checking that Hill would wear down and slow down and while I knew Russ starts slow, at that point Luck was still a week or two away. Ugh, dumb all around. 
Ouch!!!  When wilson was sucking in the first month of the season a few guys tried to steal him from me.  I held with my Kung fu grip.  I learned my lesson about 3 years ago when Brady had a very slow start.  Everyone was saying he was done.  Traded him away and he went OFF vs cincy immediately after and went on a year the entire season.  

Users who are viewing this thread