What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Many Hours Do You Work Each Week On Average? (1 Viewer)

No BS This Is A Safe Space

• Total voters

James Daulton

Footballguy
I know this has probably been done before but I was in some stupid management training class at work (kill me) and the freaking HR rep complained about working 12 hours a day.  Now clearly she was exaggerating like most do about their work hours but I'm curious as to how many hours people work a week on average.

No bs, count the time you arrive at work until you leave, if you work on weekends count that, and reading emails at home does not count, answering them or actually doing work does.  No deduction for lunch, if you can actually take long lunches away from work good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
moving our infrastructure to a new data center - months of 60 to 75 hours per week and very little sleep.  On the plus side, the stress is a wonderful appetite suppressant and with a lot of core work thrown in I'm back to slightly pudgy  :thumbup:

Currently at work I am doing about 50 hours, but have worked as much as 65+ in month-long spurts.

Prior to this job, 70+ was not uncommon in the military.

I get swamped for periods too (like 60 hours a week) which is something to the tune of 8-8 5 days a week.  That's a #### load of time to be at work away from family.  I do balance it during slower periods by keeping it to like 45 hours and on holiday time like 30 or so for the two weeks around Christmas and New Years.

Most weeks in the 40-45 range.

When I've got drawing packages in need of going out, it's several weeks to a month of 50-70. 

But this as a more senior guy at a place that's respectful of it's employees and the culture is about getting the job done well, not pumping hours. Previous jobs were more about the latter, where 100 hour weeks were the norm and 50-70 meant you were slacking and probably looking for a different job.

When I've got drawing packages in need of going out, it's several weeks to a month of 50-70. 

But this as a more senior guy at a place that's respectful of it's employees and the culture is about getting the job done well, not pumping hours. Previous jobs were more about the latter, where 100 hour weeks were the norm and 50-70 meant you were slacking and probably looking for a different job.
I honestly don't know how or why people deal with this without looking for other options. Maybe for a short time as part of a bigger plan but job satisfaction means a lot. 

I honestly don't know how or why people deal with this without looking for other options. Maybe for a short time as part of a bigger plan but job satisfaction means a lot. 
:shrug: I think some industries are more set up for these kind of hours. But in my case, I was early in my career working for big name people. Design work is open ended, especially if you're trying to push the envelope and also inexperienced. I enjoyed what I was learning and the opportunity to work on city changing projects; wouldn't change it, but also wouldn't want to revisit now with a family I like seeing occasionally.

100 hour weeks = 14 hour days x 7 days.  There's no way that's sustainable for longer than a week or two.  Hell even medical residents in the old days were given every 5th day off.

:shrug: I think some industries are more set up for these kind of hours. But in my case, I was early in my career working for big name people. Design work is open ended, especially if you're trying to push the envelope and also inexperienced. I enjoyed what I was learning and the opportunity to work on city changing projects; wouldn't change it, but also wouldn't want to revisit now with a family I like seeing occasionally.
If you're engaged in the industry, learning, and growing, I get it.  Sounds like it would be an exciting, satisfying time.  But there are way too many people working jobs they hate and get no satisfaction, yet work long hours because it's just what they've come to expect.  I also understand those who really don't have better options for a while or need to put food on the table as a single parent or other circumstances.  But again, it seems too common.  

100 hour weeks = 14 hour days x 7 days.  There's no way that's sustainable for longer than a week or two.  Hell even medical residents in the old days were given every 5th day off.
Residents actually did longer hours until restrictions and that number was higher when you factor in being on call.

Depends on the situation.  Soldiers do it for months on end.  But you're right that there's a price to pay, mistakes happen more frequently, and it's not sustainable long term. 

I get swamped for periods too (like 60 hours a week) which is something to the tune of 8-8 5 days a week.  That's a #### load of time to be at work away from family.  I do balance it during slower periods by keeping it to like 45 hours and on holiday time like 30 or so for the two weeks around Christmas and New Years.
You want a house on the water, you gotta put in the time.

In the building time is usually 64-65 hours. The additional stuff (Sam's runs, banking, record keeping, etc) I don't track as precisely, but it's 5-10 hours per week depending on the week.

It's how I keep labor costs low. I work more and it has no impact on labor costs!

I get to work at 8. Leave at 2:35. Which is different this year. Last 4 years or so I would leave at 1:49. 

However, I do not work the whole time. In fact out of the 6.5 hours I am there, I actually only work about 3 hours and 32 minutes since I teach 4 classes of 53 minutes each. I'm no Math teacher but I think those numbers are correct. 

Maybe throw another hour or two a week in there for parent meetings and such. 

I put myself in the 30-35 range since I thought that was most accurate. 

I changed jobs a little more than a year ago and now have pretty regular hours. I arrive every day around 8:10 after dropping my son off at school and I leave between 6:00 and 6:30 on average. That averages out to about a 50-hour workweek. I don’t work on weekends (other than checking email and such). 

I went with 56 to 60 which I think is on conservative side.  I typically bill 200 hours a month about 2400 a year which would be about 50 hours a week but I have other administrative and business development work that I can't bill to client that takes up a significant chunk of time. 

I went with 56 to 60 which I think is on conservative side.  I typically bill 200 hours a month about 2400 a year which would be about 50 hours a week but I have other administrative and business development work that I can't bill to client that takes up a significant chunk of time. 
Ugh. 2400 hours is a typical year for you? That is brutal.

Definitely less than 40.  I usually get in sometime between 8-8:30 and leave between 4:30-5:00

I don't really do much at the moment either.  Hopefully picks up soon because it's getting a little boring, although this time of year I'm content to just take it easy 

My average for about last 3 years since I made partner. Was worse before then. 
Man, I don’t want to come off as paternalistic or anything, but I billed north of 2400 hours twice in my 18 years of private practice and it damaged my soul - and I liked the work!  

Man, I don’t want to come off as paternalistic or anything, but I billed north of 2400 hours twice in my 18 years of private practice and it damaged my soul - and I liked the work!  
It is a bit about the firm I am at and practice I am in. To be honest I think I should be able to comfortably retire at 55 and as I get more senior the work level decreases. Junior partner at a large firm is not much easier then senior associate at a large firm.  

2 hours a night, 4 nights a week.

On a very very rare occasion I have to sub at library which ups hours to 10-12 but that happens so little it would not make a dent in the average. 

Get to work between 6:30-7:00 am and usually leave no earlier than 6:00 pm. There are exceptions but that’s my typical schedule. 

Why is there no < 30 option?

28.5 hours for me. 

MON 830-230

TUE 830-500

WED 830-230

THU 200-1000

We should cross reference this with equivalent  total pay per hour including OT and bonuses and then industry.

First week of the month, somewhere around 50 hours. The next 3 weeks I'm in the office for 40 hours, but actually only "work" about 10 hours a week. Some may say I'm lucky, however what was once a pretty sharp brain, after 4 years in this field it's pretty much only mush left.

41-42. I am on the 8-5 work day, but I always get an extra hour or two by always showing up to work 10-20 minutes early and then taking a shorter lunch if I am done eating and there is a lot going on. I am salary, so I don't worry about it. 

When I'm home cycle I work an average of 46 hours a week. 

Deployed I work an average of 91 hours a week. 

20 to 25.  I have a FB ad that generates about 1 to 3 RE leads a day.  I've sold 30 houses off of it the last 2 years.  I wanted to retire but this has been the perfect work load.  it's now travel and wsop money.  Get to help wife babysit two grand daughters 3 to 4 times a week.  Life is good. 

I voted 46-50 and that may be a little conservative. Afer mm 10  day vacation back in mid October I've worked the following hours weekly :

and next week is going to be a minimum of 60.

I'm a blue collar employee so it is what it is during our busy season. Vegas is only 28 days away so I'll take it. 

I voted 46-50 and that may be a little conservative. Afer mm 10  day vacation back in mid October I've worked the following hours weekly :

and next week is going to be a minimum of 60.

I'm a blue collar employee so it is what it is during our busy season. Vegas is only 28 days away so I'll take it. 
How did you answer the poll?

On average 40-45 but it can vary and if a project or platform goes south it can be 60-70 but it’s infrequent.  The next 8 weeks is our slowest time so it’ll be 40 with finding some things to wrap up for the year.  

I did a year and a half, pretty constant including holidays. Every weeknight past midnight, every weekend at least 8 hour days. Monthly three day stretches with zero sleep. Three years of Gradschool was pretty much the same, except I had the luxury of sleeping for days straight when I needed to recharge. 

I had friends in finance and law doing similar hours here in NYC. You walked around in a zombie state outside of the office. No coincidence that I met my gf (current wife) when I knew I was done doing those hours and working at that spot. But I'll never forget the looks I got when I started leaving the office at 8 every night.

I did a year and a half, pretty constant including holidays. Every weeknight past midnight, every weekend at least 8 hour days. Monthly three day stretches with zero sleep. Three years of Gradschool was pretty much the same, except I had the luxury of sleeping for days straight when I needed to recharge. 

I had friends in finance and law doing similar hours here in NYC. You walked around in a zombie state outside of the office. No coincidence that I met my gf (current wife) when I knew I was done doing those hours and working at that spot. But I'll never forget the looks I got when I started leaving the office at 8 every night.
As someone in NYC I can confirm hours like this are not that unusual in certain professions (mostly finance and law but other areas as well). Might sound like a snotty nyer but I do think people work harder here then elsewhere in the country. 

Tough one for me to answer--as I am a manager and I'm constantly answering work related emails/text on days off and even during vacations.  I also generally pick up supplies for work outside of my regular scheduled work hours--so if I factor all of those things in--I probably average 55 hours per week. Come holiday season--it's probably well over 60 hours a week.  

Edit--the above only describes my full time job which is what I assume the OP is asking. I also have a couple side gigs of being a landlord and owning my own company which probably add another 5 hours a week--but those are in addition to the above.  

As someone in NYC I can confirm hours like this are not that unusual in certain professions (mostly finance and law but other areas as well). Might sound like a snotty nyer but I do think people work harder here then elsewhere in the country. 
My experience as a lawyer in NYC was that people got into the office pretty late in the morning. Of course, they were regularly working until 10 at night. I know that for the Biglaw firm I worked for, the average annual billables for our associates weren’t that much different from offices in other cities.  But yeah, if you work for a NYC sweatshop, you’re going to work ridiculous hours. 

Tough one for me to answer--as I am a manager and I'm constantly answering work related emails/text on days off and even during vacations.  I also generally pick up supplies for work outside of my regular scheduled work hours--so if I factor all of those things in--I probably average 55 hours per week. Come holiday season--it's probably well over 60 hours a week.  

Edit--the above only describes my full time job which is what I assume the OP is asking. I also have a couple side gigs of being a landlord and owning my own company which probably add another 5 hours a week--but those are in addition to the above.  
I think the OP was asking about workweek in the office. Not hours spent outside the office answering emails or texts.  

Users who are viewing this thread