What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Rod Smith a sneaky start ? (1 Viewer)

cantstop1999

Footballguy
Should be the receiving back and should get some carries. What do you guys think ?

especially if McFadden is not activated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, it's sneaky... if you're trying to lose this week. Alfred Morris was brought in and thrown to already this year. People are blowing two things out of proportion...  1. Morris being unable to catch. 2. The amount of times Dallas throws to running backs.

For those counting on all kinds of passes to Smith, how many did Zeke catch anyways?

Not many.

It's not a huge part of their offense.

If anything I see Beasley touches increasing in the short passing game. Witten too.

I think he will be better than DMC but not worth a start unless you are desperate. Could be a start next week if he shows more than Morris.

I think that Smith is going to be the hot free agent pick up next week. And be a stud the rest of the fantasy season

"sneaky start" is often a form of cognitive dissonance.

People are upset by Elliott's suspension. They don't know what to do. Rather than turn to a "known commodity" who is expected to be inferior to Elliott, they turn to an "unknown commodity". Because the unknown is more comforting than the known. In your mind, Smith could be a stud. But you don't assign the same potential to Morris or McFadden, because you "know" those guys, and you "know" that they're not very good.

If you have the space, he's worth an add. Likely won't pan out but, given the talent around him, would produce if given the opportunity. Classic lotto ticket.

Jerry Jones says that he sees Smith as a 3 down back. 
Jerry Jones is senile.  Smith is 6'3" 235+
Smith is a converted fullback. He was on the practice squad less than a year ago. His 40 time is 4.69. He was never a starter in college (in fact, he was 4th string his senior year). He has no history or experience as a pass-catching RB.

I feel like if these facts were more well known, there would be fewer people saying "I think he's a sneaky start this week".

I wasn't aware he was a good receiver out of the backfield.
someone mentioned he was a 3rd down back and the OP made the point too. while I don' pretend to know 100% of this situation... no he' not a sneaky play. if, in fact, he is a 3rd down receiving back then he'd be a decent desperation play in ppr.

better?

So Gary Brown, Dallas RB coach, believes Smith can be an every down back in the NFL.  He's beaten out McFadden on depth chart - a Jones favorite. Morris, who I like, has looked ok in limited touches this year. Dallas already has said they will play the hot hand.

Count me in on a flier to pick up Smith. Anyone running behind that O line is worth a flier if you have the roster spot.  Wouldn't start him today, but worth flier for next week.

For those counting on all kinds of passes to Smith, how many did Zeke catch anyways?

Not many.

It's not a huge part of their offense.

If anything I see Beasley touches increasing in the short passing game. Witten too.
To be fair, we don't know what the offense will be without Zeke in there. They didn't throw to backs because they didn't need to. Perhaps that is different now. I agree though that Beasley gets more looks but that may be due to a less than 100% or not active Dez today.

"sneaky start" is often a form of cognitive dissonance.

People are upset by Elliott's suspension. They don't know what to do. Rather than turn to a "known commodity" who is expected to be inferior to Elliott, they turn to an "unknown commodity". Because the unknown is more comforting than the known. In your mind, Smith could be a stud. But you don't assign the same potential to Morris or McFadden, because you "know" those guys, and you "know" that they're not very good.
So Alfred Morris isn't very good? 

Ok. I think you're going to be surprised. 

So Gary Brown, Dallas RB coach, believes Smith can be an every down back in the NFL.  He's beaten out McFadden on depth chart - a Jones favorite. Morris, who I like, has looked ok in limited touches this year. Dallas already has said they will play the hot hand.

Count me in on a flier to pick up Smith. Anyone running behind that O line is worth a flier if you have the roster spot.  Wouldn't start him today, but worth flier for next week.
Exactly. If you have the room he's a good pick up this week and get ahead of the waiver wire if he does anything today. I'd rather have a lottery ticket than a RB I already know is going to get me 6 points a game

Smith is a converted fullback. He was on the practice squad less than a year ago. His 40 time is 4.69. He was never a starter in college (in fact, he was 4th string his senior year). He has no history or experience as a pass-catching RB.

I feel like if these facts were more well known, there would be fewer people saying "I think he's a sneaky start this week".
bump

Kinda silly dude. Philly shutdown that offense and embarrassed Dak for the first time this year. Don't pretend like we learned anything from this game. We already knew Rod was the pass-catching back and Morris was the plodder. 

Kinda silly dude. Philly shutdown that offense and embarrassed Dak for the first time this year. Don't pretend like we learned anything from this game. We already knew Rod was the pass-catching back and Morris was the plodder.
Well Dak was embarrassed, along with the entire offense, for the second time this year. The game vs. ATL was a #### show as well.

As for Smith. He out-snapped Morris (48% to 40%) once again. He didn't see a target this time however. We'll see what happens when they get Smith (OL) back. 

ATB said:
5.4 YPC is a plodder?  Most rushing yards  by a RB against the stingiest rushing defense this season makes him a plodder? Kinda silly dude.  We learned something from this game; that is that Morris isn’t a plodder, and ALL Rod Smith is is the pass-catching RB.

Users who are viewing this thread