What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roger Goodell Contract Renewal (1 Viewer)

themeistersinger

Footballguy
NFL’s Compensation Commitee will hold a Monday conference call to discuss commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract negotiations, sources tell @mortreport and me. That and other details ahead on ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown.
6:51 AM - 12 Nov 2017
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/929723228112740353 

Committee to talk Roger Goodell contract; last commish proposal included $49.5M salary, private jet
http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/21386260/nfl-compensation-committee-hold-call-monday-advance-proposed-extension-commissioner-roger-goodell 

If they give that to Goodell I'd file a class action lawsuit against the NFL.  That is absolutely obscene.

I hope he somehow gets canned
I'd be in favor of that.  It's one thing to extend him - I guess I can see SOME rationale for it, even though I do not agree with the idea of keeping him.  But I would NOT give him a raise, let alone anything close to what he is asking for.

The 32 owners voted unanimously to give him a five year extension in March. At this point, it would take 24 owners to change their vote to get out of it. Jerry is whizzing up a rope on this one. 

I honestly don't understand why an NFL commissioner's salary is what it is. His first 8 years as commish, he earned more than $150M -- $60M more than Brady in that same time period.

Think about that -- the NFL WAY more values a gutless yes-man than it does it's best player arguably of all time.

Goodell has taken some pay cuts down to a miserly just-scraping-by $34M/year at some points, but aside from his complete ineffectual management of so many issues (handling domestic abuse issues, meting out fines and suspensions that are commensurate -- and consistent -- with the infraction, solving what the hell a catch means in this league, etc.), what does he actually do -- other than simply be a mouthpiece for the owners (and by owners, maybe I really mean the 5-8 or so who are ungodly rich enough to completely overshadow the interests of others).

Sounds like the best job in the world -- have little to do other than read PR statements typed up for you, screw up constantly and take little proactive action in actually improving the league, have zero repercussions for failing miserably, and set up 3 generations of your family up for life.

I am super pissed at the state of professional sports because of such totally outsized compensation in general, but especially for limp puppet roles like this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't understand why an NFL commissioner's salary is what it is. His first 8 years as commish, he earned more than $150M -- $60M more than Brady in that same time period.

Think about that -- the NFL WAY more values a gutless yes-man than it does it's best player arguably of all time.

Goodell has taken some pay cuts down to a miserly just-scraping-by $34M/year at some points, but aside from his complete ineffectual management of so many issues (handling domestic abuse issues, meting out fines and suspensions that are commensurate -- and consistent -- with the infraction, solving what the hell a catch means in this league, etc.), what does he actually do -- other than simply be a mouthpiece for the owners (and by owners, maybe I really mean the 5-8 or so who are ungodly rich enough to completely overshadow the interests of others).

Sounds like the best job in the world -- have little to do other than read PR statements typed up for you, screw up constantly and take little proactive action in actually improving the league, have zero repercussions for failing miserably, and set up 3 generations of your family up for life.

I am super pissed at the state of professional sports because of such totally outsized compensation in general, but especially for limp puppet roles like this. 
I don't understand when people don't understand how salaries work.  Salaries are largely based on market demand and not 'value'.  It is not the NFL saying "Let's give Roger more than Brady".   Is it fair that a kicker makes more than a doctor?  It doesn't really matter.

The 32 owners voted unanimously to give him a five year extension in March. At this point, it would take 24 owners to change their vote to get out of it. Jerry is whizzing up a rope on this one. 
Ya people who say that everyone hates him are simply wrong.  The significant majority of his bosses love what he's doing and that's all that really matters.

I don't understand when people don't understand how salaries work.  Salaries are largely based on market demand and not 'value'.  
Yeah, Goodell would be difficult to replace.  :ph34r:

The NFL would be wise to offer him half as much money per year as some teams make.  :lmao:  They could even avoid incentives and give him a multi-year guaranteed deal in a league where no players get that.

For a league that is overly conscience of public opinion, it seems odd how willing they are to fork over so much money to someone that's such a clownshow.  Even as a puppet of the owners, he's such a tone deaf ineffective face of an organization.  Add in his level of compensation and the ease with which he could be replaced (and the positive benefits to doing so) and making a move to a new commish seems like the play here.

I don't understand when people don't understand how salaries work.  Salaries are largely based on market demand and not 'value'.  It is not the NFL saying "Let's give Roger more than Brady".   Is it fair that a kicker makes more than a doctor?  It doesn't really matter.
Market? Wait, when did I miss the NFL operating in a free market?

I suppose if players don’t like their playing salaries they can just go play in another football league with tax payer financed stadiums and 50 years of tax exempt status under being considered a non for profit...

I'd be countering with the same salary and a lifetime Southwest ticket (domestic only, no weekends). 

What possible negotiating leverage does Roger have? "If you don't pay me this I'll leave" GTFO :lol: Who else could possibly figure out ways to add more games to the schedule, suspend players, and make up new ways to define a catch.

If he gets anywhere near this the owners are out of their freaking minds or more likely they have so much money they just don't care.

Oh come on... a bit farfetched, no?

Owners have their own nuclear option for dealing with Jerry Jones

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2017, 10:06 PM EST

Getty Images

When it comes to the lingering dispute regarding the Roger Goodell contract extension, much has been written and said about the potential nuclear option possessed by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. But the rest of the owners (or, more accurately, those who oppose Jones) have a nuclear option of their own.

They could, in theory, attempt to trigger forfeiture of the Dallas franchise.

A league source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that multiple owners already have been discussing the possibility, which flows from Article VIII of the NFL’s Constitution & Bylaws. Specifically, Section 8.13 authorizes the Commissioner to determine that an owner “has been or is guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the League or professional football.” If the Commissioner believes the available sanction (a $500,000 fine) is “not adequate or sufficient,” the Commissioner may refer the issue to the NFL’s Executive Committee, which has the power to compel “[c]ancellation or forfeiture of the franchise in the League of any member club involved or implicated,” with a directive to sell the team.

It’s obviously an extreme outcome, and it surely would trigger years of litigation. But the possibility has emerged primarily because Jones has opted to take family business outside the family. As the source explained it, the primary affront comes from the belief among owners that Jones instigated Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter to disparage the NFL, blaming league leadership for ratings declines and, in turn, a reduction in Papa John’s revenues.

It’s unknown whether the NFL or any of its owners has warned Jones of a potential attack on his ownership of the Cowboys, and at this point it’s unlikely that any such effort will be made. However, the topic has emerged among owners, due directly to Jones’ recent threats of litigation and related efforts to disrupt the business of the league.

So, basically, if Jones’ ultimately doesn’t oust Goodell, Jones may need to worry about Goodell ousting Jones.

The NFL needs a new courtroom drama to keep eyeballs on their product through the offseason.  Last year Brady, this year Zeke.  Why not let Jerry be the next sacrificial victim?

Users who are viewing this thread