What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When was the last time you cried and why? (1 Viewer)

My wife and I got a calendar notification for our deceased dog’s birthday. We don’t have kids, our two weims were our kids. We still have one and he’s getting old. 

When the 4 hobbits bow to Aragorn and Aragorn says "my friends, you bow to no one" and the entire audience kneels to them.

Probably the only movie moment that ever brought a tear to my eye.  The end of Toy Story 3 was damn close though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember. Not because it has been so long since I cried, but because it has been so frequent recently.

My mom was on home hospice care and passed away six weeks ago. I am all but estranged from my three children (toxic divorce/ex-wife) and they didn't call me or anything for over a week after I saw them at my mom's memorial service.

It has been a very rough year.

I can't remember. Not because it has been so long since I cried, but because it has been so frequent recently.

My mom was on home hospice care and passed away six weeks ago. I am all but estranged from my three children (toxic divorce/ex-wife) and they didn't call me or anything for over a week after I saw them at my mom's memorial service.

Damn. :sadbanana:  sorry for your loss, GB 

I went to a meditation where we sat in front of someone else and just looked them in the eyes for an hour.  I cried numerous times, as did the other fella

Last week. Mostly out of anger, frustration and heartbreak on my kids' behalf. My ex wife (who has battled some addiction issues in the past several years) almost died in the hospital. And although I've already had a discussion with my kids about this being a possibility for her (not living very long due to her poor life choices), it was a close enough call that I thought I was about to have to tell them, and the thought of having that conversation just breaks my heart for them. Fortunately it didn't come to that this time, but I would imagine it will happen sooner rather than later, based on her history. 

First of all sorry for your loss GB.  You may come across differently here than IRL but you have always been a solid contributor and feel like a solid individual.  Those kids are really missing out.  Keep that chin up and continue to do what you do. 

First of all sorry for your loss GB.  You may come across differently here than IRL but you have always been a solid contributor and feel like a solid individual.  Those kids are really missing out.  Keep that chin up and continue to do what you do. 
I appreciate that.

Like anybody, I have my rough edges and sometimes make decisions I regret later. I generally do my best to make amends for those and am far more averse to conflict in my real life than I am on forums (and I have tried to tone it down here over the years as well). 

I made the mistake of marrying and pro-creating with a vindictive narcissist. And whether by DNA or upbringing, my kids are starting to take on those characteristics. I could be silent and blind to them and I am sure we would all get along fine. But I am trying to be a better parent than that. And it isn't working. At all. 

During my normal morning commute, I was driving by Forrest Lawn (cemetery for those not from So Cal) when a sappy song came on.  I had played this song over and over again on the plane ride back to LA when I learned that my girl friends dad had died from long nasty fight with cancer.  The fact that her farther is buried at Forrest Lawn, on top of his first b-day since passing the prior weekend, sappy song that brought back memories, etc......just kind of got to me.  I had to drive for 15 minutes past my exit to compose myself before going to work.        

As for a life event, probably my mom dying three years ago.   But I cry  (or at least tear up) every week watching that damn This Is Us show.  

It was just Friday night.  I was cleaning some stuff from my home office and came across a letter my oldest daughter wrote me when she graduated from college.  Won`t get into all the sappy details but it was 2 pages long thanking me for always being there for everything in her life and how I was not only her dad but her best friend.   I read it twice and was sobbing.

January 2016...I was visiting my 101-year old grandma for what would be the last time. She had two broken legs (both above the knee), was on morphine and not at all there. She thought I was the doctor. I talked to her about all she meant to me over the years. I went to leave but had to find a chair to have a good cry. Four days later she died. :cry:  

Not sure which was more recent, seeing my aunt who was dying of cancer for the last time or putting my cat down. Both were about 10 years ago.

July. This summer was an extremely scary time financially. We opened a business that at the time was struggling to gain traction and my career was stalling out at the same time (sales - commissions had been very few and far between recently). Was looking at financial ruin in less than 12 months - felt like a huge failure that I led my family toward a huge mistake. 

Went to church one Sunday (after virtually getting no sleep for weeks) and just broke down during the songs and sermon. Some old lady I’d never met before came up and just hugged me. Floodgates man. The lady just said ‘don’t fear sadness. Let it out.’

July. This summer was an extremely scary time financially. We opened a business that at the time was struggling to gain traction and my career was stalling out at the same time (sales - commissions had been very few and far between recently). Was looking at financial ruin in less than 12 months - felt like a huge failure that I led my family toward a huge mistake. 

Went to church one Sunday (after virtually getting no sleep for weeks) and just broke down during the songs and sermon. Some old lady I’d never met before came up and just hugged me. Floodgates man. The lady just said ‘don’t fear sadness. Let it out.’
Hope things have turned around for you buddy   :thumbup:

It was just Friday night.  I was cleaning some stuff from my home office and came across a letter my oldest daughter wrote me when she graduated from college.  Won`t get into all the sappy details but it was 2 pages long thanking me for always being there for everything in her life and how I was not only her dad but her best friend.   I read it twice and was sobbing.
Just now.

January 2016...I was visiting my 101-year old grandma for what would be the last time. She had two broken legs (both above the knee), was on morphine and not at all there. She thought I was the doctor. I talked to her about all she meant to me over the years. I went to leave but had to find a chair to have a good cry. Four days later she died. :cry:  
Well this story reminded me of one.

A few years ago my Gramma was dying. She was a tough 94 year old who was married to my grandfather for 70 years (he was still alive at the time). Anyway, my brother and I stopped by their farm on our way home from a fishing trip, mainly to say goodbye.

She was in hospice at home, and she had been in and our of consciousness for a few weeks. The day we were there she was awake and recognized us immediately (which was great in it's own right).

So we are sitting there talking, and she gets all serious and says to us:

Her: "Boys, would you do me the honor of being pall bearers at my funeral?"

Us: "Of course we will. WE would be honored."

On the way home:   :cry:

So glad we stopped that day.  :)

A couple of hours ago, when a photo of Chance showed up on my FB feed as a memory from Nov. 13, 2011. 
Ughh sorry man.... :(

This summer we dropped our daughter off at college and it was hard leaving her there. My wife and I did our best to be strong for her and we waited until the drive home to let it out. It was tough. But three weeks later she was able to get a ride home for a weekend and saying goodbye that time was just harder on all of us. We all were emotional wrecks that day for some reason.

Last week when my son wrote in his journal about the trip we made to Lego Land discovery center last year and how much fun he had not once mentioning his sister was with us.

As for a life event, probably my mom dying three years ago.   But I cry  (or at least tear up) every week watching that damn This Is Us show.  
Ha, I was going to ask what constitutes crying because This is Us has gotten the room a little smokey at times. 

When I think of my dog passing.

And on that note, "If we never meet again" by Elvis came on the radio, furthering those thoughts, and I was smashing a few eye leaks on the way to work. 

The only times I can recall actually crying hard or sobbing would be when I found out when a friend or family member died.  I had one year were I lost 3 grandparents.  Two of them were within two weeks of each other.  That was a rough year but they all lived long, full lives.  A few years later I lost one of my best friend to suicide and that's been the hardest one to get over.  Still get teared up when I think about it.  Two years ago another one of my best friends lost his dad to cancer.  That one was pretty tough because his dad was my dad's best friend and we worked together.

Other than that it's just been some watery eyes during some sad moments.  Typical stuff.  Iowa's wave to the kids at the children's hospital chokes me up almost every time.

At the funeral of my old hunting partner this summer.  :(  

I lost my dad at an early age, and he was close with my dad and I.  When my dad passed, we became really close friends through archery and hunting.  The running joke with his wife was I was their adopted son they never had.  He had beaten cancer years ago, but it came back this year.  His wife called me recently saying he was back in the hospital and that the dr was saying "all sorts of icky things".  I took it as her being dramatic (she tends to be) and figured that strong SOB would be fine.  I planned to go see him, but figured I had time... He passed 2 days later before I could go see him.  

I am a crier and female, so I would skew the results, I will say that I seen my husband cry 2 times and both at funerals before we had our daughter. He has cried more since she has been born, not sure if it gets all men that way, but it did him. 

It was a few weeks ago.  My grandpa passed away about 10 years ago.  We were very close but he was never one to talk about his feelings.  His death was sudden enough that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye (he had a stroke and was in a coma for about a week before passing).

About 3 weeks ago I had a dream where he and I were driving through the mountains and had a great talk about my son who's 6 years old now.  He told me what a good father I'd become and that he was proud of me.  Woke up and A) realized that he wasn't there and B) thought back on the talk we'd had in my dream and I just lost it.  It was about 3AM and my wife was still asleep next to me so I got up, cried for about 20 minutes, and then watched Blazing Saddles (his favorite).

Before that the last time I cried was when I put my dog down 4 years ago, and before that was my grandpa's funeral.

PS - Almost started crying writing this.  All the feels :(.

I made the mistake of marrying and pro-creating with a vindictive narcissist. 
Man that sounds ridiculously familiar.  Ex just moved out of state this summer and tried to take children away.  She never had a chance, but damn that is exactly what she is.  I've used the word narcissist with her frequently this past year.

August 12th.  That day we put down Rusty.  He was 15 and our first dog of the family.  He outlived a couple other dogs that came along as well.  I still well up when I see the photo pop up in Facebook on my daughters page.  I took a pic of her holding him in her lap and comforting him right before they gave him the final shot to stop his heart.  She posted it on her feed and every now and then for whatever reason it shows up in my feed. ####.  I'm tearing up writing this post.  

Hate, hate, hate putting dogs down.   :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread