What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you ever drink at lunch during the week? (1 Viewer)

Snickers

Footballguy
I've been in the same industry for about 20 years and ever since I first started there would be groups of folks that would throw a few back on occasion at lunch. It hasn't mattered if I changed companies, pretty much has seemed to be part of the culture of my industry, perhaps it is because it is a sales focused industry. 

I find I can still be very productive after a few lunch drinks and these days find myself having a drink or two once a week at lunch. It typically isn't the 3 martini lunch of bygone times but I've been with groups where people were pretty lit heading back to the office in the afternoon.

Curious to hear if this is happening elsewhere.

You lost me at "at lunch".

Save for the occasional birthday/co-worker leaving/new hire to the team I can't remember the last time I went out for a long lunch. Grab something quick, eat during a call/meeting/while working. 

Yeah I've done it quite a few times, but don't make a habit of it.  Well at my current job we had a pretty regular Friday lunch that's would last till 4 or 5 but boss no longer works there so that's out

I don't think it's very professional for most careers.  Just sounds odd to me to go have a couple drink then return to work.  My grandpa was an alcohol and would be drunk at work many times from what I've been told.  I couldn't imagine doing that but that was over 30 years ago.

If I don't have to work I have no issue cracking open a beer at noon or ever before.  Hell, when tailgating at Iowa games we're drinking at 7am.

I don't think it's very professional for most careers.  Just sounds odd to me to go have a couple drink then return to work.  My grandpa was an alcohol and would be drunk at work many times from what I've been told.  I couldn't imagine doing that but that was over 30 years ago.

If I don't have to work I have no issue cracking open a beer at noon or ever before.  Hell, when tailgating at Iowa games we're drinking at 7am.
#Kinnick

Agree with the majority here.  I never partake at lunch and feel it's generally not wise/not worth the risk to do so.

I now work from home, however, so if I want a beer, I have one.  Even so, it's still very rare for me.  Maybe once a month....

Not a big deal in my industry.  Happens plenty (although usually not excessive amounts) at lunches with brokers and reinsurers. But it varies by company and by office. My old boss was all about a Friday trip to buffalo wild wings accompanied by 1 or 2 beers. But I've worked with others that I know would NOT be cool with it.

Maybe once a month I'll have a beer at lunch when just out with some colleagues. Nothing over 5% abv though.

5 yesrs ago my boss and my buddy came back from a lunch HAMMERED drunk right before Christmas. (Buddy claims he was roofied to this day. He wasnt) Went with a broker, stayed for a while after, 9 glasses of wine later and my buddy was knocking over a hostess stand on the way out of the restaurant.(and later a painting off the wall of the office) Thankfully another buddy was there to drive them back and I was in the office to evaluate the situation and make sure they didn't come strolling in while our regional VP was still on site. My boss was acting like drunk sorority girl (couldn't remember her computer password) and my buddy couldn't carry his water bottle 20 feet to the break room without dropping it.  They're both vice presidents now. Good times

Last edited by a moderator:
My first day at my current employer my boss took me to lunch and told me it was a good time to discuss the companies policy on drinking at lunch.  If you're with a customer, it's open bar.  If it's a working lunch with leadership, you drink and use your own discretion.  My new boss was a raging alcoholic and said if he's buying lunch, it's a two drink minimum.  And since it was happy hour, drinks were 2 for 1.  4, 20oz beers later we went back to work.

The company has grown a ton since then (from about 500 people to 4000 and we're now merging with two other companies to make it 14,000.  With that growth, our policies have "grown up" and now there's no drinking at work.  Stupid dumb growth :(.

All the time in my 20's & early 30's, but never more than 2 or 3 at most at lunch. My companies policy was big on personal responsibility, if you came back after partaking of a few and couldn't perform your job, that was on you. I changed areas of the company a few years ago and it is more of an unwritten rule from the higher ups in this division that you don't drink at lunch. Now that I am older and higher up though, I honestly don't want to most days even if I had the time to go out for lunch (which is rare, usually eat at my desk.)

I'm not a big fan of day drinking but I'll occasionally hit my vape pen when the workload is light.  Makes for a much more interesting day in the office.  

Alcohol is included in the drug policies that many/most larger companies now have forbidding the use during work. Although there are many smaller or private companies that still allow.

I once had a job that required looong hours. At some point it became clear a few of us weren't going to stick around and had just burned out. We made an awful job bearable by taking breaks, go to the bar across the street, then return to work. One coworker would go back and forth between bar and work, leave his drink for a few minutes, and radio into his employees as needed. Hell, the last week we just started swiging whiskey in my office. My lunch breaks would often consist of going to another bar with a coworker and coming back with a pretty strong buzz. 

Aside from that nightmare place, generally no to lunch drinking. Just can't get your work done even if your place tolerates it. 

Happens with the sales team all the time in my industry. 2-3 pints tops. Not enough to be smashed, but everyone needs to head back to the office and sober up for several hours before driving home. 

Never on a work day.  Simply wouldn't enjoy it, and it would set a terrible example.

Almost never on a day off.  Vacations are about the only exception.

That said, I'm a manager at a catering company, and it's really common to have a glass of wine at the end of the night while we finish our paperwork and wrap things up.

During the week, sure. I get every other Monday off.

On a workday? Nope. Very much frowned upon. But I used to work past 5 and had a bottle of Scotch I'd open at 5:01. (Now get off at 4 so no :banned: for me)

I got into the telephone business back in '81 (land line) ...no real cellular market at that time, nor any idea it would take off so quickly.  I worked for a tiny privately owned company that was just outside of Dayton, OH.  I saw a lot of people from larger companies at various industry seminars, etc. and it was basically a drunkfest.  Not that these people couldn't handle there alcohol ...they could.  Boy, they could.  

I move onto a larger company in '84 and by that time the lunch drinking had curtailed a lot, but company parties, after hour gatherings, picnics, etc. ...party, big party.  I just missed the luncheons at the dancer places that had luncheon "loungerie shows" with cheap martini specials.  There were also plenty of non-spouse party stories with lots of fooling around and drunken fights (this is all management people).  

Fun times.  

ETA:  not a big deal when everyone was ####### everyone.  

We get plastered on our lunch breaks every day several of us are scheduled doubles. 

I had 3 blue Long Island iced teas with lunch today. I work better when I’m drunk because I’m much more personable.

You lost me at "at lunch".

Save for the occasional birthday/co-worker leaving/new hire to the team I can't remember the last time I went out for a long lunch. Grab something quick, eat during a call/meeting/while working. 
Same. :hawkscreech: style. @Otis

How many of you are browsing at work for these responses? 

A couple times a week, easily. Usually 3-4 drinks then back to work. Tuesday is $2 margaritas at a place close by. Just about every town hall/leadership meeting is followed with booze after lunch (at least two a month). It's always fun having a beer with a VP. I work an insane number of hours, usually late into the night, and most of the time, I do my best coding after a few. But I suppose I'm in a unique position where as long as I keep producing, no one really cares how or when. I could bring a keg next to my cubicle and no one would bat an eye. But, again, I'm sure my work is very outside the norm.  There's literally a kegerator in my office building. 

previous career (selling auto parts): no way. 

current career (slinging Pinot Noir): there's a general understanding that having a glass of wine, or two, during a shift is okey-dokey. when i first started in the industry, i took full advantage. now that i'm old AF, it's not as fun and makes for a long day. when we have events, i'm might stretch a glass over 2-3 hours, though it depends on how busy we are. 

after work? light. em. up. 

Maybe like once every three months if I'm at lunch with a named partner (in other words, my bosses) and: 

1) He or she orders one first;

2) It's limited to one where it cannot possibly impair me; and

3) I'm not directly interacting with a client or have to appear in any type of court hearing. 

I've watched tv. All the lawyers and judges sit around at lunch drinking every day. 

I get up at noon every day, so I have breakfast while most are having lunch. Once in a while I'll wake up, hang out for a bit and then hit a food truck or call for take out, grab the food, head to a brewery taproom, and have a couple of beers with my grub.

Users who are viewing this thread