What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roger Goodell vs Jerry Jones (1 Viewer)

In the battle between Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones, who are you rooting for?

• Goodell

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Jones

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 53 46.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Lifting this from a Darren Rovell question:

In the battle between Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones, who are you rooting for?

As an Eagles fan I was rooting for Goodell until I heard the actual compensation demands... 50MM, jet for life, medical for family for life, etc.  Now I just want a job in the league office.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Eagles fan I was rooting for Goodell until I heard the actual compensation demands... 50MM, jet for life, medical for family for life, etc.  Now I just want a job in the league office.
I read that earlier...so insane. 

I don't like either one of them.

I read that too. How sickening is that? I'm just baffled that Goodell has any leverage at all in getting a new contract. 

Forced to choose, I'd root for Goodell, though if those demands are for real, it would be hard. Goodell is more of a clueless incompetent, while Jones is more evil bully.

The league wouldn't be where it is today without Jerry. The other owners should be kissing his ### for making them so much money.  Goodell is a bumbling idiot and  has done nothing but damage the league. Easily Jones.  Don't like either 

The NFL can suck it:

1. They fooked up the anthem protest issue

2. They continually fook up the concussion protocal situation

3. They continually fook up the domestic violence issues

4. They are a greedy bunch of fools

5. And now these two rich deekwads are having a tickle fight because one of them suspended the other guys player for the domestic violence issue

Wah Wah Wah......go screw yourself NFL. 

Forced to choose, I'd root for Goodell, though if those demands are for real, it would be hard. Goodell is more of a clueless incompetent, while Jones is more evil bully.

Yeah he's such a jerk for making the league boatloads and boatloads of money. He's obviously miffed by the Zeke thing but he's also trying to save the league money by setting a precedent by overpaying a position that could be manned by a chimp in a suit and still succeed. 

The NFL can suck it:

1. They fooked up the anthem protest issue

2. They continually fook up the concussion protocal situation

3. They continually fook up the domestic violence issues

4. They are a greedy bunch of fools

5. And now these two rich deekwads are having a tickle fight because one of them suspended the other guys player for the domestic violence issue

Wah Wah Wah......go screw yourself NFL. 
This is a GREAT post.  I still love to watch football but the NFL has been a mess for a decade or more

I am still waiting to see who is battling, as it appears that the only one on Jerry Jones' side is Jerry Jones. He needs 23 of the remaining 31 owners to join him or there is nothing Jones can do within the ownership rules for things to be handled internally.

If he goes to court, I have no idea at this point of what he could possible sue for. The 32 franchise owners voted 32-0 to extend Goodell a few months ago, What will Jones be suing over? That the 32 owners followed their agreed upon process to extend the commissioner? Good luck with that.

I would be eager to hear an informed legal opinion on what steps he could take through the courts to have Goodell's extension tossed and/or Goodell removed from office. Because the NFL already has provisions on those.

And from what I have read, the other owners are not looking to make a change and are banding together for Jones to stop with his threats of going to court. If he had any dissenters in the room, he is losing them.

Jerry Jones had almost nothing to do with why the NFL has made the money it has made. Jerry Jones ridiculed Ralph Wilson during negotiations with the players and then it turned out that Wilson was right on just about everything.

Jones and Goodell are both awful. I loathe Jones and would lean Goodell, except if those demands are real, they can both go jump into shark infested waters.

Jerry Jones had almost nothing to do with why the NFL has made the money it has made.

Jones and Goodell are both awful. I loathe Jones and would lean Goodell, except if those demands are real, they can both go jump into shark infested waters.
You don't know a damn thing about the modern NFL, then.  

You don't know a damn thing about the modern NFL, then.  
Oh, I know plenty, and Jones had little to do with why the league has made so much money. The tv deals forged long ago along with long periods of labor peace set the NFL on track for success. And then fantasy football is what ultimately lead to the huge explosion beginning in the 90s.

Yes, Jones has always tried to expand the pie through lots of things like endorsements, stadium naming rights, PSLs, teams moving, etc. but those things are all built on the back of everything else and a much smaller portion.

I side with Roger.  Believe it or not, he's made the NFL owners an absolute #### ton of money.  Go on all you want Cowboy fans about what Jones has done for the NFL's value, but Roger's contribution makes it pale in comparison.  

Roger's real job is contracts.  He has presided over every contract the NFL has agreed to since 2006.  Well, the numbers don't lie.  The NFL is now grossing over $14 billion every year.  That number has risen exponentially since Goodell took over.  In 2013 the average NFL franchise was valued at just over $800 million.  The Cowboys were the highest, valued at $1.17 billion.  Today, the average franchise is valued at over $2.4 billion and the Cowboys are valued at over $4.2 billion.  The league owners owe Goodell a good chunk of change, no matter what your opinion on the man is.

Then, add that he gets to be the heel for all the nasty #### the owners don't want to deal with and you start to understand why the guy gets(and is asking for) so much.

I side with Roger.  Believe it or not, he's made the NFL owners an absolute #### ton of money.  Go on all you want Cowboy fans about what Jones has done for the NFL's value, but Roger's contribution makes it pale in comparison.  

Roger's real job is contracts.  He has presided over every contract the NFL has agreed to since 2006.  Well, the numbers don't lie.  The NFL is now grossing over $14 billion every year.  That number has risen exponentially since Goodell took over.  In 2013 the average NFL franchise was valued at just over $800 million.  The Cowboys were the highest, valued at $1.17 billion.  Today, the average franchise is valued at over $2.4 billion and the Cowboys are valued at over $4.2 billion.  The league owners owe Goodell a good chunk of change, no matter what your opinion on the man is.

Then, add that he gets to be the heel for all the nasty #### the owners don't want to deal with and you start to understand why the guy gets(and is asking for) so much.

No. 

I have read that NFL owners are balking at Goodells contract demands..some say it is offensive.

Goodell makes 30 million a year now...if owners were to not renew Goodell where he could he go to make 30 million in salary? Anywhere?  It is not like the NHL, MLB or NBA is going to be bidding on him as a UFA.

Also bear in mind that the next tv deal stands to potentially be a radical phase shift compared to what we have all been accustomed to. In Europe right now, broadcast rights for soccer are coming up for bid, and Internet and streaming companies are offering HUGE contracts . . . like 3 times as much as tv companies. 

So next go round, besides ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, ESPN, and NFL Network, there will likely be Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter, Youtube, Amazon, etc.  offering BILLIONS more than the stand tv broadcast companies we have now.

If Goodell steps in and negotiates those agreements and doubles league revenue and team values, the owners would buy Goodell his own country.

Oh, I know plenty, and Jones had little to do with why the league has made so much money. The tv deals forged long ago along with long periods of labor peace set the NFL on track for success. And then fantasy football is what ultimately lead to the huge explosion beginning in the 90s.

Yes, Jones has always tried to expand the pie through lots of things like endorsements, stadium naming rights, PSLs, teams moving, etc. but those things are all built on the back of everything else and a much smaller portion.
Dude, you have it ALL wrong. Let's focus on just one of your many inaccuracies. 

When the league's TV ratings were weak and the TV committee headed by Art Modell was prepared to give back $300 million just to secure a CBS contract extension, Jones fought it, insisting it was too early to renegotiate, and drew Rupert Murdoch's Fox into the mix. One owner called him "a crazy wildcatter." But Jones was right: The league went on to sign new contracts for $1 billion, which set a standard for hardline negotiations, that turned into the $7 billion in network deals of today.

Read the whole article instead of being a bitter 4 time loser, 2 times to the boys. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/in-jerry-jones-v-roger-goodell-nfl-owners-should-choose-sides-wisely/2017/11/09/9ded58c4-c57b-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html

Your dead great grandmother would have made the NFL the same amount of money and probably more since she wouldn't have botched every PR move in the last several years. 
:lmao:

The NFL grew at almost 3 times the rate of revenue after Roger was hired than before.  This despite a decline in fantasy sports and a decline in the average tv a normal viewer watches.  I'm sure my dead great grandmother would've probably got it to 4 times right?  Ok then.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Your dead great grandmother would have made the NFL the same amount of money and probably more since she wouldn't have botched every PR move in the last several years. 
Hell, man. My grandmother's quicker and tougher than you pansies. 

Course she's 6'3", 250 and runs a 4.5 40. 

Owners are generally with Goodell, not Jones:
"Several fellow owners of N.F.L. teams have given Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones a cease-and-desist warning, threatening to punish him over his efforts to block a contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell, according to several people with knowledge of the situation."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/sports/football/jerry-jones-roger-goodell-nfl.html

"Jones' recent outbursts in public and in private, and his attacks on commissioner Roger Goodell, are being seen by his peers as a direct reaction to his anger of Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension, the sources said, and are diminishing his respect and influence among other owners...."Jerry was fully on board with this right up until the suspension came down," one ownership source said. "That isn't lost on us."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jerry-jones-losing-credibility-sway-with-owners-over-spat-with-roger-goodell/

Jones is a criminal enabler. He's a safe place for all the coke addicts and woman beaters that fall in the draft because other teams have a code of morals. He's also a bully who thinks he's bigger than the other owners.  Screw him. He also has a vendetta against Goodell for the same reason that Robert Kraft does. They think their players and team should have their own separate rule book. Not a huge Goodell fan, but I'd choose him 100% of the time against that Jones slime ball.

I would love to see the other NFL owners ban together and take the Dallas Cowboys away from Jerry Jones.

Jerry is turning into the new Al Davis.

I would love to see the other NFL owners ban together and take the Dallas Cowboys away from Jerry Jones.

Jerry is turning into the new Al Davis.
There was some talk of that from Mike Florio. Seems incredibly far fetched but it was brought up apparently. 

Question on the other owners wanting to bring action or discipline against Jones because Jones isn't in favor of extending Goodell's contract at the reported by Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen 50Million per year plus private jet for life. (also disputed by the league). 

Doesn't this sound like something is missing? A group puts together a committee to set a compensation package. And if you don't agree with the committee's decision, you're subject to having your team taken away?

There is no room for disagreement among owners as they decide an issue?

Is there any chance this is just a coordinated effort to get people to stop talking about all the anthem stuff and focus their attention on what is basically interoffice politics/gossip?

There is seemingly no one on Jones' side and there is no way this can turn into a "take the team from him" issue. That barely succeeded with Donald Sterling and it needed audio recordings of racist conversations to get that ball rolling, and most people believe Sterling could have fought that if he wanted to. Instead, he took the easy way out and sold the thing for like $2 billion. Some punishment. 

#staywoke

Hi Murph,

I would have agreed with this before Deflategate. Do you think it's still true?
He tried to have it both ways. There was certainly some anti-Goodell rhetoric to placate the fans. But actions speak louder than words. He never fought for the draft pick and by all accounts he's siding with Goodell vs. Jones.

Question on the other owners wanting to bring action or discipline against Jones because Jones isn't in favor of extending Goodell's contract at the reported by Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen 50Million per year plus private jet for life. (also disputed by the league). 

Doesn't this sound like something is missing? A group puts together a committee to set a compensation package. And if you don't agree with the committee's decision, you're subject to having your team taken away?

There is no room for disagreement among owners as they decide an issue?
See that's why I can't understand how does Goodell have such strong support. He's terrible at PR. He's botched every suspension I can think of. No matter your feelings on the anthem protest you'd be hard pressed to make the case that he's handled well. Big sponsors are publically calling Goodell out by name. Why would the owners be so unanimous to give him a raise?

He tried to have it both ways. There was certainly some anti-Goodell rhetoric to placate the fans. But actions speak louder than words. He never fought for the draft pick and by all accounts he's siding with Goodell vs. Jones.
Thanks. That's sort of how I see it too. Although I don't see it as carrying water now. I see it more like Kraft went from being Goodell's most valuable ally to now he's just neutral or slightly negative. 

See that's I can't understand how does Goodell have such strong support. He's terrible at PR. He's botched every suspension I can think of. No matter your feelings on the anthem protest you'd be hard pressed to make the case that he's handled well. Big sponsors are publically calling Goodell out by name. Why would the owners be so unanimous to give him a raise?
Agreed. That's what I find so odd. 

Thanks. That's sort of how I see it too. Although I don't see it as carrying water now. I see it more like Kraft went from being Goodell's most valuable ally to now he's just neutral or slightly negative. 
This was in Peter King's piece on Sunday:

Still, in that fateful conference call Nov. 2, after Jones’ threat, the source with knowledge of the call said Patriots owner and committee member Robert Kraft told Jones words to this effect: Jerry, my franchise got killed for a BS incident with so-called deflated footballs. We lost our quarterback for 25% of the season. We got fined a million bucks. We lost first- and fourth-round picks. For hogwash! But I took it. My fans killed me for it, but I try to be a good partner.

Seems to be like this would have been a perfect time for Kraft to stick it to Goodell but instead he is siding with him against Jerry. Very disappointing for Pats fans.

This was in Peter King's piece on Sunday:

Still, in that fateful conference call Nov. 2, after Jones’ threat, the source with knowledge of the call said Patriots owner and committee member Robert Kraft told Jones words to this effect: Jerry, my franchise got killed for a BS incident with so-called deflated footballs. We lost our quarterback for 25% of the season. We got fined a million bucks. We lost first- and fourth-round picks. For hogwash! But I took it. My fans killed me for it, but I try to be a good partner.

Seems to be like this would have been a perfect time for Kraft to stick it to Goodell but instead he is siding with him against Jerry. Very disappointing for Pats fans.
Yes. I can see that for sure. I think it's more a reflection of who Kraft is and who Jones is. There are benefits to both. Kraft is playing the more mellow gentleman / team player type. Jones is more the maverick who puts his interests first. Not a criticism of either men. Just different styles. 

I do think too there's a little bit of "Let's get this crazy commish under control and remind him who he works for". I can see the "We thought he was out of line with Deflategate but let it go as we figure the Patriots are cheating somehow anyway. But two things now and this looks like a pattern..."  In other words, if Elliott had been first, Kraft might have responded differently with Deflategate. I dunno.

Ordinarily I would be siding with anyone that was against Goodell.  I am not a fan of Jerry but I would be rooting for him in this case if it wasn't for the fact that he is mainly doing it because of the Zeke Elliot suspension and how it affects his team.  Also if Jones somehow won this power struggle I don't think it would be good for the NFL since Jerry only gives a damn about himself.

Jones, only because of the "my enemy's enemy is my ally" theory.  Jones is the lesser of two evils.  I hate Jones (for many reasons already stated in here) but Goodell is ruining the game.

So, now there is a theory that Jerry Jones was behind the Papa Johns rant.

Jones owns more than 100 Papa Johns restaurants. I don't think that Papa John would have criticized the NFL without consent from his biggest franchisee.
I'd think this would be the case. But not sure how much of a story it is. Jones feels the kneeling hurts Papa Johns which he's affected by. I doubt Papa John has many people he considers more in tune with the NFL than Jones so when he says something, I'd guess Papa John would be inclined to believe it. 

This feels like Jones looking out for his business interests. I'm not sure what's a story there. 

One potential explanation is that Jerry was afraid to call out his own players and he was afraid to call out the Commissioner for failing to deal with the issue, so he got Papa John to do it for him. That makes his whole "unity" stance seem fairly disingenuous. The whole time he was kneeling with his players, he was thinking to himself, "You jerks are costing me money!"

Users who are viewing this thread