What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need new car advice (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
We currently own 2 cars:

2008 Honda CRV and 2003 Honda Civic

We hope to keep the CRV 4-5 more years but I am concerned that we are not far away from performing the "and his watch has ended" ceremony for the Civic.

We would like to purchase a new car similar in size and style to the Civic.

What web site(s) should I use to determine ratings and fair market value for cars?

We currently own 2 cars:

We hope to keep the CRV 4-5 more years but I am concerned that we are not far away from performing the "and his watch has ended" ceremony for the Civic.

What web site(s) should I use to determine ratings and fair market value for cars?
This one suits your style, I think.

kbb.com for market value, trade in value, etc.

listingallcars.com both for looking for a replacement car and getting an idea of what your car is worth

truecar.com for what the average selling price is

edmunds.com has a great deal of information on the car you have and the car(s) you are interested in for research plus incentives, dealer hold backs, etc. plus the forums are good to get an idea on incentives, what dealers are willing to give, problems or potential problems, etc.

Lastly I would also recommend specific car brand/model forums so accord.net, etc. for your very specific car model information.

HONDA 

I would suggest test driving multiple cars (different makes and models). A car might seem perfect on paper but not feel right when you're behind the wheel. 

Also definitely consider pre-cert/pre-owned.  I just bought a slightly used car (less than 5,000 miles on it) and saved around $9,000 compared to a brand new car.  Most dealers will still provide warranty (even an additional year) on a pre-certified car.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We currently own 2 cars:

i can't recommend the newer Civcs enough.

I went from a 2003 Accord to a 2016 Civic.  So far so good.  knock on the woods

Unless you upgrade to a larger vehicle, anything in the Civic category is going to feel like a downgrade to you. Unless you get an Acura ILX, which is basically the "luxury" version of the Civic. 

Unless you upgrade to a larger vehicle, anything in the Civic category is going to feel like a downgrade to you. Unless you get an Acura ILX, which is basically the "luxury" version of the Civic. 
We are going to focus on the Civic itself first (wife wants to test drive the hatch back) and go from there.

How is it going from a 2003 Civic to a new Civic a downgrade?

just find a mechanic to put a hemi in a green egg and your golden take that to the bank bretiredhan

Can you please elaborate why exactly?  And how much did you shop around before you decided go through them?  Thanks.
I used kbb and edmunds to get an idea of prices and reviews.   Once I decided on a car, I put into USAA what I was looking for and it showed me what all the dealerships within 50 miles would price the car and the exact specifications of the car.  I picked the one I wanted, called the dealership and bought the car for the stated price.   Also, got a discounted loan from USAA for using their service.

So, USAA might not be the best for initial research, but is great once you have decided on what you want. 

About a year ago I was in a similar spot. I used Consumer Reports for research and for my needs (not a car guy, just reliable and comfortable enough), I found Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla and Subaru Impreza to be pretty much pick a name out of a hat. So, I e-mail blasted dealerships and after a few annoying days of ring around the rosie wound up picking up an Elantra.

I'm a Honda guy.

So I saw this Honda Accord in Puerto Rico on my Hurricane Relief deployment, and I had to investigate.  I have an uncanny knack for identifying cars, year/make/model.  I identified a 1988 Nissan Stanza that was destroyed down there, the young girl was amazed at my acumen. 

Anyway I saw this Honda and thought...1989 Accord with crazy miles.  I speak Italian so my Spanish comprehension is pretty good, and this was a month into my trip so my Spanish was quite spectacular at this point.  He spoke ZERO english, nothing, but he loved that I even asked him about this car. 

I checked the odometer and it had 216k there, but the odometer broke seven years ago he said.  So awesome. 

He pointed at the highest peak and said he went there every day, and the 1988 (dammit I was close) made it up there every day.  When he jumped in it went, it went every single time.  Through brakes, batteries, and the loss of a lot of paint that car endured. 

Puerto Ricans love them some Toyota Corollas, Mitsubishi Mirages, and Suzuki whatevers.  I had no idea Suzuki even made new cars anymore but I guess they do.  I rode two days in a Mitsubishi Outlander and it's the worst car evah, so bad.  I see the appeal of Hondas and Toyotas but if you are buying a Suzuki car in 2017 you probably don't have a job. 

Story-time with Doctor Detroit is sponsored by Medalla: it's slightly better than Busch Light and we have so many big cans down here you can't tell the difference.  :Medalla:

I'm a Honda guy.

So I saw this Honda Accord in Puerto Rico on my Hurricane Relief deployment, and I had to investigate.  I have an uncanny knack for identifying cars, year/make/model.  I identified a 1988 Nissan Stanza that was destroyed down there, the young girl was amazed at my acumen. 

Anyway I saw this Honda and thought...1989 Accord with crazy miles.  I speak Italian so my Spanish comprehension is pretty good, and this was a month into my trip so my Spanish was quite spectacular at this point.  He spoke ZERO english, nothing, but he loved that I even asked him about this car. 

I checked the odometer and it had 216k there, but the odometer broke seven years ago he said.  So awesome. 

He pointed at the highest peak and said he went there every day, and the 1988 (dammit I was close) made it up there every day.  When he jumped in it went, it went every single time.  Through brakes, batteries, and the loss of a lot of paint that car endured. 

Puerto Ricans love them some Toyota Corollas, Mitsubishi Mirages, and Suzuki whatevers.  I had no idea Suzuki even made new cars anymore but I guess they do.  I rode two days in a Mitsubishi Outlander and it's the worst car evah, so bad.  I see the appeal of Hondas and Toyotas but if you are buying a Suzuki car in 2017 you probably don't have a job. 

Story-time with Doctor Detroit is sponsored by Medalla: it's slightly better than Busch Light and we have so many big cans down here you can't tell the difference.  :Medalla:
:Honda:

Users who are viewing this thread