What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another school shooting sigh Edit - looks like more than school (1 Viewer)

These tragedies are so unbelievable.  For the life of me I can't remember hearing about this kind of horror hardly ever prior to a decade or so ago (Sandy Hook?).  Since then it seems like it's happening on a more frequent trajectory.

Really a huge mental illness problem in this country.  

Thoughts and prayers to all those killed, injured, and their families. 

"The crazy thing is that the neighbor has been shooting a lot of bullets lately, hundreds of rounds, large magazines," Flint said. "We made it aware that this guy has been crazy, and he's been threatening us and everything. I just feel like there maybe should have been more effort put into stopping things like this."

More mental illness issues.  Now we're ready to enlist these people in the Army to get better trained on using these weapons. 

More mental illness issues.  Now we're ready to enlist these people in the Army to get better trained on using these weapons. 
I will set aside the idea that transgendered people are mentally ill. Instead I will focus on the even more obvious flaw here, that all people with mental illness are at a similar risk of harming others. That is simply not true. There are over 200 recognized forms of mental illness and their impacts are wide ranging. 

I will set aside the idea that transgendered people are mentally ill. Instead I will focus on the even more obvious flaw here, that all people with mental illness are at a similar risk of harming others. That is simply not true. There are over 200 recognized forms of mental illness and their impacts are wide ranging. 
Nothing to do with transgendered here.  The Army is actually allowing mental illness now. 

And not to make this thread about mental illness and guns, but it seems like a running theme with these shootings.  I understand the range in the forms of mental illness, but its frustrating to read that the police were notified of the guy acting "crazy" and making threats and there was probably nothing they could do about it.  Now 5 people are dead even though the warning signs were there and reported.  This just sucks. 

I'm not sure mental illness is the main reason either.  I'm not sure what it is or what can be done yet.  There are times when perfectly sane people just have a moment of rage and just don't think clearly.  The emotional state of humans is a mystery.

Nothing to do with transgendered here.  The Army is actually allowing mental illness now. 

And not to make this thread about mental illness and guns, but it seems like a running theme with these shootings.  I understand the range in the forms of mental illness, but its frustrating to read that the police were notified of the guy acting "crazy" and making threats and there was probably nothing they could do about it.  Now 5 people are dead even though the warning signs were there and reported.  This just sucks. 
Sorry- assumed that was a veiled shot at the transgendered issue. My bad. I just read a USA Today Story related to what you are talking about. It is concerning. I hope due dilligence has been done in researching the outcomes and in reviewing the waiver applications. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure mental illness is the main reason either.  I'm not sure what it is or what can be done yet.  There are times when perfectly sane people just have a moment of rage and just don't think clearly.  The emotional state of humans is a mystery.
I am not sure either. People can snap, develop brain tumors or have their first mental health encounter. That said, mental health care is really lagging behind the number of mental health issues we have. 

Used to be every few years, then every few months, now every week or so. When do we hit 'daily occurrence' levels?

How much does the desensitivization of it play a part.  Games such as Call of Duty, Grand theft auto, etc or TV shows such as Criminal Minds or any of the 15 CSI's or NCIS.  That doesn't even get into the general lack of respect for other in general every day life.

How much does the desensitivization of it play a part.  Games such as Call of Duty, Grand theft auto, etc or TV shows such as Criminal Minds or any of the 15 CSI's or NCIS.  That doesn't even get into the general lack of respect for other in general every day life.
I'm not sure.  It's never affected me and I have played all kinds of games like that and have been watching movies like that well before I was old enough.  I think there could be some merit to that idea but I feel that may have something to do with parenting too.  I think if movies and games are affecting someone like that then maybe they've already got something wrong with them, otherwise there would be a lot more people like that out there.

Great point.  I'm a little too old for CoD and GTA but sure as #### if I don't love throwing barrels at Italian plumbers.  

Used to be every few years, then every few months, now every week or so. When do we hit 'daily occurrence' levels?
This is such a sad  comment, more because it becoming reality than anything :(   I really feel terribly for all that are affected.  

These murderers - regardless of their mental state, video game history, TV preferences, religious affiliation - would never approach the large number of victims with melee weapons or bows or chemicals. Guns make it so easy. But apparently not enough people have died yet for gun-lovers to care. I wonder what the magic number of deaths is.

These tragedies are so unbelievable.  For the life of me I can't remember hearing about this kind of horror hardly ever prior to a decade or so ago (Sandy Hook?).  Since then it seems like it's happening on a more frequent trajectory.

Really a huge mental illness problem in this country.  

Thoughts and prayers to all those killed, injured, and their families. 
Sandy Hook, to me, was the hardest to swallow. How a person could execute all those children, is beyond imagination and just sickens and upsets me emotionally to this day. 

The first one I can remember though was Columbine. That’s the one that put mass shootings on the map so to speak, at least in my recollection.

Question: has banning anything ever really worked? I heard of Prohibition, where alcohol was illegal and confiscated. I don't think it worked very well.
I posted this in another thread 

Does this refer to all AR15? I don't know

Colt AR-15 

They are banned here along with magazines over 15 rds.

I don't know statistics though for NJ and gun deaths etc

Start by banning the AR-15.
Honestly, this is such a cliche...do you have a solution that would actually work?

ETA:  guns will never be banned in this country so then what?  I am an avid gun owner that would be okay with additional regulation however, i am sure i am in the minority.  

Honestly, this is such a cliche...do you have a solution that would actually work?
Saving lives is the goal here and no one is suggesting that all lives are ever going to be saved. Taking away one of the deadliest weapons of choice is anything but cliche, it’s something that would actually work 

Someone here posted a potential solution in one of these threads.  Set a date that will end the sale of automatic weapons.  Offer buy back solutions enticing enough for people to sell them back to the government. If you own one, you can keep it and can be passed down through family lines only.  No private sales.  In time the number of weapons will fade. 

As a gun owner I find this to be reasonable. 

Saving lives is the goal here and no one is suggesting that all lives are ever going to be saved. Taking away one of the deadliest weapons of choice is anything but cliche, it’s something that would actually work 
How many lives do you think are taken by ar-15's vs other platforms?  Enough to put your stake in the ground and make it a policy.  My thought is that if you are going make a policy change this large and debated, is this what you are really going to rest your hat on?  I disagree.  I don't think banning ar-15's makes a bit of difference in these type of events.  

trump has made hate the new in thing.
Stinky bait.

Mass-shooting are not new. They have always been a part of America for a long time (which is completely sad), but the whole 24/7 news cycle makes people believe they are somehow going up.

It is like people saying "Wow, there are a ton more damaging tornadoes". There are not more tornadoes. We just have sprawled out into spaces where the likelihood of seeing/getting hit by a tornado are higher and then throw in (as mentioned above) channels dedicated to showing tornadoes, and people believe there are more.

You can look at the timelines on mass shootings 14 killed in Oklahoma in 1986 or 22 killed in Kileen, Texas in 1991 or 32 killed in Virginia Tech in 2007. Gun Violence has and will continue to be part of the American culture unless some radical changes are made or heck, maybe even taking the first step and just try and enforce some of the laws we have now on the books.

But IMO, in response to people believing there are more shootings, I think more and more people are arming themselves. I know in the last two months, two extremely liberal friends of mine (who both told me they never would have dreamed of doing this)  bought handguns because they had two separate bad incidents happen to them and they wanted to protect themselves in the future.

Someone here posted a potential solution in one of these threads.  Set a date that will end the sale of automatic weapons.  Offer buy back solutions enticing enough for people to sell them back to the government. If you own one, you can keep it and can be passed down through family lines only.  No private sales.  In time the number of weapons will fade. 

As a gun owner I find this to be reasonable. 
:no:   Do you know anyone that is able to purchase an "automatic" weapon?  I seriously doubt it.  

How many lives do you think are taken by ar-15's vs other platforms?  Enough to put your stake in the ground and make it a policy.  My thought is that if you are going make a policy change this large and debated, is this what you are really going to rest your hat on?  I disagree.  I don't think banning ar-15's makes a bit of difference in these type of events.  
Don’t be silly. Of course it does. These people might be stupid in everyday life, but they aren’t stupid about what they are doing when it comes to this. If it didn’t make a difference, they’d be walking in with something else. 

Users who are viewing this thread