What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Relocating to a warmer place (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
I've grown tired of cold winters, bad traffic, and the possibility of snow in Boston.  What cities do you recommend checking out?

I am looking for a city that's affordable, has okay public transit, and good food. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've grown tired of cold winters, bad traffic, and the possibility of snow in Boston.  What cities do you recommend checking out?

I am looking for a city that's affordable, has okay public transit, and good food. 
Outer banks nc

georgia coast

myrtle beach if you want a big city vibe by the beach. 

Does employment matter?

I would suggest a bigger city like Atlanta...maybe Miami...something like that.

Does employment matter?

I would suggest a bigger city like Atlanta...maybe Miami...something like that.
No way on Atlanta.  No effing way.   I was on a work assignment there for 6 months and that place is horrible.  Bad traffic bad people way too many suburbs.  

Atlanta is booming like the early 90's again, and housing prices are starting to catch up so it's not the bargain it once was. Traffic is absolutely suffocating now too. If I were moving here I would make sure I could afford to live in town and have a short commute. Living out in the burbs and commuting in to the city every day is pure hell.

City data forums are great for this type of inquiry too. Go to the General us forum and list your wants. You’ll get great responses then you can go to city or state specific sub forums and get more detailed info there. 

San Antonio checks everything here except perhaps public transit.

eta - cost of living may well make up for anything lacking in that area.

If you do move here and decide to try headache powder, you just dump it out on your tongue and chase it with water. Don't snort it. :bag:  

Scottsdale, Arizona
I'm in Gilbert AZ for winter-1/2 hour drive from Phoenix airport.  food terrific.  traffic great so long as NOT rush hour.  2 months of brutal heat July, August.  Prices for homes=terrific.  $300,ooo.oo buys you a 3 bedroom in a great area.   80 degrees today with no wind.  beautiful.   You can also buy a map for $12 and go to the Superstition Mts. to look for the lost Dutchman's gold mine(google it-it's a cool story).   just don't do it in August.

Albuquerque is affordable and has great food.

Not sure how the public transit is, but Walter White never seemed to have any trouble getting anywhere. 

Check out the...

"The Ref Moves to Florida" 

thread from about 6.5 years ago.

Ended up in Palm Beach county Florida from Boston.  Absolutely zero regrets.

Richmond, VA

mild winters with a snowstorm once a winter

2 hrs to VA Beach, <2 hours to DC, 3 hours to Outer Banks, NC, fair skiing 1.5 hours away

top rate breweries and an under estimated food scene. 

No public transportation aside from buses in the city itself

You don’t need good public transportation if you move away from the NE for the most part.  For whatever reason people in NE would rather sit in traffic or wait for a bus than build another traffic lane (I live in DC).  I loved Charleston, SC, Dallas, and Austin.  Someone said San Antonio, that’s close to Austin as well.  Someone mentioned Outer banks and myrtle, they are great too.  Myrtle has nice beaches and a ton of golfing, if that’s your thing.  All have tons of stuff to do with good weather and great food.  

Atlanta is booming like the early 90's again, and housing prices are starting to catch up so it's not the bargain it once was. Traffic is absolutely suffocating now too. If I were moving here I would make sure I could afford to live in town and have a short commute. Living out in the burbs and commuting in to the city every day is pure hell.
What burbs do you live in?  It’s brutal right now to the point we’ve contemplated moving out. Our home price is up 60% from when we bought it only 5 years ago and the traffic is awful. I telecommute so it doesn’t really matter to me, but I feel bad for my wife. Just trying to get around is a pain, though. We went to Ponce City Market last Saturday and just moving through the city is a huge headache. 

Austin

affordable? getting less so

public transportation? just passed a bond ref to improve sidewalks

good food? definitely makes the other two tolerable

What burbs do you live in?  It’s brutal right now to the point we’ve contemplated moving out. Our home price is up 60% from when we bought it only 5 years ago and the traffic is awful. I telecommute so it doesn’t really matter to me, but I feel bad for my wife. Just trying to get around is a pain, though. We went to Ponce City Market last Saturday and just moving through the city is a huge headache. 
I'm in West Cobb and also telecommute, but wife works in Cumberland and even that 12 mile commute takes an hour most days, sometimes more. And traffic on 75 sucks even on the weekends. 

Too many people and MARTA is grossly inadequate.

I'm in West Cobb and also telecommute, but wife works in Cumberland and even that 12 mile commute takes an hour most days, sometimes more. And traffic on 75 sucks even on the weekends. 

How does anyone do that? If it took me an hour to go 12 miles I would quit or just live in my car.

Yeah, I’m in northern Gwinnett, but take 400 into the city more often than 85. I had a 10am flight out few weeks back, so I left at 6am.  I parked my car at the airport at 9am. It’s unbelievable.  When I got back from that flight it was around 10pm and I got home by 10:40 since the roads were empty. 

How does anyone do that? If it took me an hour to go 12 miles I would quit or just live in my car.
The city was grossly unprepared for the amount of people that have migrated here. Atlanta is favored to be the east coast Amazon HQ, I can only imagine how much worse it will be at that point. 

Moved from NY to Dallas 8 month ago.

Ten years ago even, just a lot of burbs. But now, the downtown adjacent and core downtown are really on the rise, with multiple walkable nodes and some transit options depending on where you live (light rail, street car which is limited, but expanding... happens to stop in front of my house though, so for certain things it's quite convenient for me).

When I moved, I did without a car for my first two months - though long term it's needed, unless you work/live and don't need to travel much from one of the downtown neighborhoods (i.e. uptown, where I live, Deep Ellum, Lower Henderson) you can bike, walk, LYFT).  Also great economic fundamentals, fwiw. 

FWIW, Austin is a victim of it's own success. No transit, everyone's smarter than the next guy, anti-growth in a faux liberal way saying how they want to help everyone, but god forbid that means a 3 story building a half mile from their house.  Fun to visit, though.

The city was grossly unprepared for the amount of people that have migrated here. Atlanta is favored to be the east coast Amazon HQ, I can only imagine how much worse it will be at that point. 
Can't see how Amazon goes there with the limited transit and mobility options. Not to mention their workforce's needs (i.e. not just suburban neighborhoods).

Airport makes sense, but not too much else. Then again, I could be wrong.  

Dallas certainly in the running, perfect geographic location, awesome airport and huge logistics base already, ability to absorb the growth and both suburban and more urban or urban/suburban options.

Can't see how Amazon goes there with the limited transit and mobility options. Not to mention their workforce's needs (i.e. not just suburban neighborhoods).

Airport makes sense, but not too much else. Then again, I could be wrong.  

Dallas certainly in the running, perfect geographic location, awesome airport and huge logistics base already, ability to absorb the growth and both suburban and more urban or urban/suburban options.
I’m just going off articles I’ve seen...  it doesn’t matter to me either way. Honestly if they come here, it’ll probably hasten my retreat. 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/24/news/companies/amazon-second-headquarters-atlanta-odds/index.html

North Gwinnett here too. During the week I leave at 5:30a to get to N. Druid Hills by 6:15. If I leave any later, I won't make it to work by 7.

Anybody have any experience with Memphis?
Lived there for a year. Lots of ghetto, lots of crime, lots of racially-charged issues, lots of local government stupidity, and lots of humidity.

That said, I enjoyed my time there. The city has a lot of character to it and you won't be starved for entertainment options, especially if you like live music. And the BBQ is the best you'll find in the country (I grew up in STL and Memphis kicks the #### out of STL when it comes to BBQ).

Not the first place I'd live in Tennessee (Nashville by default and I've always liked Chattanooga) but there's far worse options. Germantown is a pretty good suburb if that is what you prefer.

Anybody have any experience with Memphis?
Lived here a couple decades. Memphis has awesome things about it and terribke things about it. Public transport is largely nonexistent outside busses that are largely a sketchy lower income option, but uber is cheap as hell here and plentiful. Downtown area is VERY walkable with a light rail / trolley line. I know several folks who live/work downtown and don’t own vehicles. 

Age? 

Family/Kids/Single? 

Education is private school or bust in many areas. Families largely live out in the burbs like Germantown or collierville where schools are solid, but work options vary and they’re not walkable. 

Housing is comically affordable. Cost of living overal is very low. 

Food/Dining is booming with several large entertaining/dining districts in midtown and downtown, with a plethora of great options outside those zones. Again, cost of living is good in this department as well. 

Climate: hot and humid in the summers. Very moderate in winter. Mostly 40s with maybe a single snowstorm that yeilds a couple inches and largely shuts the city down for a day or two. 

Crime is high in bad areas, not bad at all in good areas. The airport leaves a LOT to be desired but is improving with SWA entering with guns blazing a while back. 

Lot of transplants due to being a very strong logistics and medical device hub. 

Traffic is not bad if you own a car. Worst commute would be “way out” in collierville to downtown and that’s maybe 30-45mins. 

Nashville is way better. If you've the choice.
Nashville is larger and more metropolitan. Memphis smaller and with more grit/soul. There are pros and cons to each, depending on what you’re lookjng for. 

too much sweat & stoopitiddy for a northerner to bear there
It’s a culture shock for sure, I was a Boston transplant. Things move slower everywhere down here. Religion is a big influence. Mindsets on race and other societal issues are behind but improving. 

Happy to answer any questions you might have 

Users who are viewing this thread