What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Franken allegations (2 Viewers)

That picture is really, really bad.  He'll have to resign?  Allegations from one person are one thing.  In a world of internet memes, no one will ever take him seriously again and with these guys...there's rarely just one victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture is really, really bad.  He'll have to resign?  Allegations from one person are one thing.  In a world of internet memes, no one will ever take him seriously again and with these guys...there's rarely just one victim.
There's discussion of it in the Weinstein thread, but good call, this warrants its own thread.

As I said over there, I disagree about the picture being really bad by itself. Dumb and degrading and he needs to apologize, sure, but it doesn't look like he's actually touching her.  It's the whole story taken together that's a real problem for him, and the photo is evidence to support her side of the story in what I assume will end up as a he said/she said thing.

And yeah, I would be surprised if there's not more stories coming.  I don't know if they'll involve more allegations of assault, but once there's one story like that anything else that paints him as a misogynist/harasser looks even more damning.

I think in today's climate he has to go!  I think 10 years ago it can be swept under the rug.

We (Democrats) are sick of this and it's time to clean house!

I really liked (past tense) him too!

He should have known better after his tour de force performance as Senator Paul Simon in the SNL Anita Hill hearings skit.

"I think I scored big, ... with the bow tie."

Because all the other politicians accused of sexual misconduct have resigned?

To be clear, unless the story changes as more facts come out I think he should resign. But the bolded is still hilarious.
Because I think we (Democrats) are done with this. We need to continue to try to be the adults in the room, and we as adults, should stand against unwanted sexual assault!

To be clear, unless the story changes as more facts come out I think he should resign. But the bolded is still hilarious.
Yes they are a protected group, by and large.  What's going on is insane.  Women are coming out everywhere with allegations and it's impossible to verify/prove many of them or to know what should be done.  Obviously many are using the allegations for political purposes, which is disgusting but not surprising.

More facts?  The picture does not lie.  Without a picture I would say we need more facts but Franken has already admitted it. At least he did the right thing.

I'm not sure either party wants to set the precedent of resignations.  As I said in the other thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the Senate censured him.  

Yes they are a protected group, by and large.  What's going on is insane.  Women are coming out everywhere with allegations and it's impossible to verify/prove many of them or to know what should be done.  Obviously many are using the allegations for political purposes, which is disgusting but not surprising.
Do you suggest  she was posing? This it was not him doing what the picture shows he was doing?

What's your point on Franken?

Because I think we (Democrats) are done with this. We need to continue to try to be the adults in the room, and we as adults, shouldn't stand for unwanted sexual assault!
To be fair, most people that I see on both sides aren't ok with sexual assault.  What I think tends to happen is that when it comes to the political figures of "your side", you tend to think the allegations aren't true.  Not a democrat on this board would side with Bill Clinton if there was video proof of the rape allegations.  But it's very hard to verify things that happened years ago and from time to time some people make things up.

To be fair, most people that I see on both sides aren't ok with sexual assault.  What I think tends to happen is that when it comes to the political figures of "your side", you tend to think the allegations aren't true.  Not a democrat on this board would side with Bill Clinton if there was video proof of the rape allegations.  But it's very hard to verify things that happened years ago and from time to time some people make things up.
I don't agree.  Trump admitted sexual assault and he was elected president.

Link?

Do you suggest  she was posing? This it was not him doing what the picture shows he was doing?

What's your point on Franken?
Not sure what you're asking.  Obviously he's guilty of what the picture showed he was doing.  What does that mean should happen?  I don't have an opinion that matters on that front.

You seem to be responding to some fantasy reality different from the one in which all the liberals in this thread believe Tweeden.  

Not sure what you're asking.  Obviously he's guilty of what the picture showed he was doing.  What does that mean should happen?  I don't have an opinion that matters on that front.
I thought you were saying this was impossible to prove.  You weren't - carry on :-)

If this is the sole allegation against him, he can probably survive. The picture and story is damning but Franken has a vaguely plausible version of events. If even the smallest hint of anything else comes out he's rightfully cooked. 

You seem to be responding to some fantasy reality different from the one in which all the liberals in this thread believe Tweeden.  
That's my point.  There's a photo and most people (on both sides in my experience) aren't ok with sexual assault.  So when you guys see this photo, you're reacting the way I'd think you'd react.  I don't see any bias on any side when the proof is clear.

If this is the sole allegation against him, he can probably survive. The picture and story is damning but Franken has a vaguely plausible version of events. If even the smallest hint of anything else comes out he's rightfully cooked. 
He should be cooked even if nothing else comes out. Sadly, you’re probably right and he’ll survive.

You want proof that people are using the sexual assault allegations that are happening everywhere as a political weapon?  

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/

There's a link.  Want me to link every other right-wing blog I can find?  I guarantee the Al Franken story will be their number 1 story of the day.
Apologies.  I misread your post to imply that people are making the allegations for political purposes.  I agree with you.

Tapes don't lie either, but one side seems unwilling to accept that clear proof.
People made excuses.  They claimed it wasn't assault because he said that women wanted rich people so bad you could do anything and they were cool with it and that he was just talking in generalities and wasn't actually talking about an actual experience.  I didn't agree and at the time I said I thought this was the end.  I believe (though I doubt I could find the post) that I personally thought he'd drop out of the race at that point.  But he didn't, people rationalized it as locker room talk and they moved on.  I dont' think this means most people on the right are supportive of sexual assault...just that they are blinded by their bias.  But you may disagree with me there and that's ok.  

Is he even touching her in that pic?
Doesn't look like it. 

As I said in the Weinstein thread, that would give him a credible explanation- juvenile and degrading and something he would need to address, but not an assault- if it wasn't for the rest of the story.  It's the whole thing taken together that makes it look so bad.

Doesn't look like it. 

As I said in the Weinstein thread, that would give him a credible explanation- juvenile and degrading and something he would need to address, but not an assault- if it wasn't for the rest of the story.  It's the whole thing taken together that makes it look so bad.
Certainly looks bad and if he touched her then he needs to be held accountable.

It's not just the pic, it's her allegations as well:

"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth."

People made excuses.  They claimed it wasn't assault because he said that women wanted rich people so bad you could do anything and they were cool with it and that he was just talking in generalities and wasn't actually talking about an actual experience.  I didn't agree and at the time I said I thought this was the end.  I believe (though I doubt I could find the post) that I personally thought he'd drop out of the race at that point.  But he didn't, people rationalized it as locker room talk and they moved on.  I dont' think this means most people on the right are supportive of sexual assault...just that they are blinded by their bias.  But you may disagree with me there and that's ok.  
You're not blinded though, right?  You denounced Trump, refused to support him, and have vigorously attacked him on these boards since.  Correct?  

Users who are viewing this thread