What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help from AZ locals - SIL moving to area (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
I know we have a few Arizona locals on here - I'm hoping to get some help.  My sister-in-law is graduating from college in December and took a job with Honeywell in the Phoenix area.  She's in the process of trying to find a decent apartment, but isn't sure the best areas to look.  I was hoping some folks who were local had some recommendations.  

Her office is near the airport, and thus far she's looked in the Mesa area, SE of Phoenix and the airport.  She's going to probably have a roommate, but will be living off an undergrad starter-job salary.  So nice enough, but not anything crazy.  Safety is probably top priority, followed by things within walking distance.

Does anyone have any recommendations of either areas to look at, areas to avoid...even specific apartment complexes to look at or avoid?

...and before the inevitable "Is she hot? She can live with me if she is," If you have a penis, you're not her type...

TIA.

recent, well employed college grads live in three areas

1) Scottsdale - south Scottsdale is the bar scene and very young, north Scottsdale is suburbia but very nice...new money, or transplants from other states like north scottsdale

2) Arcadia - north/central phoenix...very yuppie and more old phoenix families than probably any other area(this is my favorite area), close to the airport

3) Tempe - a little bit more crime in certain areas, but if you stay real close the university you are probably okay...definitely don't go too far south or west of campus.

Mesa, chandler, gilbert, west phoenix, south phoenix suck.

I know we have a few Arizona locals on here - I'm hoping to get some help.  My sister-in-law is graduating from college in December and took a job with Honeywell in the Phoenix area.  She's in the process of trying to find a decent apartment, but isn't sure the best areas to look.  I was hoping some folks who were local had some recommendations.  

Her office is near the airport, and thus far she's looked in the Mesa area, SE of Phoenix and the airport.  She's going to probably have a roommate, but will be living off an undergrad starter-job salary.  So nice enough, but not anything crazy.  Safety is probably top priority, followed by things within walking distance.

Does anyone have any recommendations of either areas to look at, areas to avoid...even specific apartment complexes to look at or avoid?

...and before the inevitable "Is she hot? She can live with me if she is," If you have a penis, you're not her type...

TIA.
She wants to be downtown.  Good night life, close to the metro (not very user friendly) and reasonably cheap.  If she is out in Mesa she will have a 30-60 minute commute each way depending on when she works.  Plus, mesa is just okay to hang out in....too many pasty white people IMO.  If she lives downtown scottsdale and tempe are both very accessible.  Hope she has a car because nothing in AZ is walking distance.  

recent, well employed college grads live in three areas

1) Scottsdale - south Scottsdale is the bar scene and very young, north Scottsdale is suburbia but very nice...new money, or transplants from other states like north scottsdale

2) Arcadia - north/central phoenix...very yuppie and more old phoenix families than probably any other area(this is my favorite area), close to the airport

3) Tempe - a little bit more crime in certain areas, but if you stay real close the university you are probably okay...definitely don't go too far south or west of campus.

Mesa, chandler, gilbert, west phoenix, south phoenix suck.
Iike these area's....I guess i am not 22 though.

I lived at the Lofts at Rio Salado for 2 years. The light rail is literally right outside the complex so easy access to get to downtown Tempe/Phoenix. It stops at the airport so pending where the office is she could take that to  work. Also its real close to the Tempe town lake, if she is a runner it's a nice area to take a jog around (of course when it's not 115 outside). I'd live there again if I was still out there.

I live in Ahwatukee which is East Phoenix west of Chandler.  It is a nice secluded area, clean, and very safe.  I work downtown and it is roughly 15 miles down I-10.  Arcadia is nice but very expensive.   Scottsdale would be a pretty long drive to airport each day.

Iike these area's....I guess i am not 22 though.
big fan of chain restaurants, agricultural fields, mcmansions, mormons and lack of general culture?

Nothing wrong with those things, but not for me and probably not for a 22 year old working close to the airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
North Central Phoenix is my personal favorite. Love it and probably will never move as long as in AZ. Able to get anywhere you want in minutes, hiking/trails, walkable, not in the middle of nowhere and have good sized yards/not right on top of each other. Housing has went up a ton in last 5 years but still more than reasonable.

TripItUp said:
big fan of chain restaurants, agricultural fields, mcmansions, mormons and lack of general culture?

Nothing wrong with those things, but not for me and probably not for a 22 year old working close to the airport.
Or for Arizona?  I am from there and will always call it home but your description pretty much sums it up.

Take_The_Shot said:
I lived at the Lofts at Rio Salado for 2 years. The light rail is literally right outside the complex so easy access to get to downtown Tempe/Phoenix. It stops at the airport so pending where the office is she could take that to  work. Also its real close to the Tempe town lake, if she is a runner it's a nice area to take a jog around (of course when it's not 115 outside). I'd live there again if I was still out there.
I'll have to ask her if the rail is an option for where she works.  Not 100% sure exactly where it is.  

She runs - and claims she'd like to be able to walk/go places.  I don't know how anyone goes outside at all in AZ outside of winter honestly.  We were down there for a week literally a year ago, and it was pretty nice then...but I can't imagine summer.

I don't know how anyone goes outside at all in AZ outside of winter honestly.  We were down there for a week literally a year ago, and it was pretty nice then...but I can't imagine summer.
Don't buy in to all the hype. It never got over 127 the year I lived there.

Fat Nick said:
I'll have to ask her if the rail is an option for where she works.  Not 100% sure exactly where it is.  

She runs - and claims she'd like to be able to walk/go places.  I don't know how anyone goes outside at all in AZ outside of winter honestly.  We were down there for a week literally a year ago, and it was pretty nice then...but I can't imagine summer.
May - aug - no outside activity from 7:00 am 8:00 pm.  Other than that it is actually perfect weather.  Tell her she has to have a car.  Public transportation is frustrating at best.

May - aug - no outside activity from 7:00 am 8:00 pm.  Other than that it is actually perfect weather.  Tell her she has to have a car.  Public transportation is frustrating at best.
May to October is over 90 pretty much every day and 100 nearly every day in the summer mnoths, even April will hit the 90s pretty consistently.  Don't live anywhere that requires public transit is my suggestion.  She'll want to have a car.

AZ doesn't really have any great walkable areas compared to most other major cities.  A few areas have tried but it's just too hot for it to take off.  Some areas like Kierland and OldTown Scottsdale pick up quite  bit in the winter.

May to October is over 90 pretty much every day and 100 nearly every day in the summer mnoths, even April will hit the 90s pretty consistently.  Don't live anywhere that requires public transit is my suggestion.  She'll want to have a car.

AZ doesn't really have any great walkable areas compared to most other major cities.  A few areas have tried but it's just too hot for it to take off.  Some areas like Kierland and OldTown Scottsdale pick up quite  bit in the winter.
90 is actually comfortable due to lack of humidity and cooling down significantly in am and pm’s.  Of course this is my opinion. 

sbonomo said:
90 is actually comfortable due to lack of humidity and cooling down significantly in am and pm’s.  Of course this is my opinion. 
When we were there last year in November, mid-day temps were in the 90's, and I'd agree.  It wasn't bad at all.  I actually felt it was nicer than 80's in NJ due to the lack of humidity.  It was down-right cold at night sometimes.  

I'll have to ask her if the rail is an option for where she works.  
It's not.

I work literally around the corner from the Honeywell you're talking about. The light rail doesn't go near there, though they're extending it at some point, fairly close, but that won't even be what I would call "accessible" to where Honeywell is.

Users who are viewing this thread