Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide)

8 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

This game tomorrow has the feeling that it’s really the final. It’s hard to believe one of either Croatia or fookin England will play a World Cup final in 2018. It’s completely deserved and I’m happy for both countries, but damn ... 

I don’t know abou that, I certainly think Belgium would have fits with England (I think both teams speed in attack would expose Croatia’s back 4).

8 hours ago, Slapdash said:

I agree.  But, it is hard to say the English or Croatian side couldn't win a game over the victor of tomorrow's match 

Sure, any of the 4 could win it at this point. I’m just stating the obvious perhaps, people on twitter and the like are treating today’s game like the final.  Timing really sucks for me, but sacrifices must be made ...

5 hours ago, bagger said:

This is why you can never be happy when the US is out. That whole half of the bracket was a crapshoot. 

I don't know that anyone was "happy"  I made peace with the result pretty quickly, and had been looking forward to the WC even without the US - but, I wasn't happy the US missed out - just pragmatic.

There is no viable excuse for the US missing out - we were kind of in between cycles of players, but had enough talent to qualify.  But, at the same time, I am as excited about the team's future as I have been in a long time.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I don't know that anyone was "happy"  I made peace with the result pretty quickly, and had been looking forward to the WC even without the US - but, I wasn't happy the US missed out - just pragmatic.

There is no viable excuse for the US missing out - we were kind of in between cycles of players, but had enough talent to qualify.  But, at the same time, I am as excited about the team's future as I have been in a long time.

Now Italy, on the other hand...

:deadhorse:

• Like 1

I assume this is a straight red card

=========

Bill Edgar‏Verified account @BillEdgarTimes 3h3 hours ago

World Cup red cards for serious foul play/violent conduct

1998: 16

2002: 11

2006: 8

2010: 6

2014: 7

2018: 0 (after 60 of 64 games)

• Like 1

This is a fun final four, and I would be happy with any combination for the final.

In the end I think Belgium takes this thing.  We all need and deserve World Champion Fellaini in our lives

Edited by Ted Lange as your Bartender
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I assume this is a straight red card

=========

Bill Edgar‏Verified account @BillEdgarTimes 3h3 hours ago

World Cup red cards for serious foul play/violent conduct

1998: 16

2002: 11

2006: 8

2010: 6

2014: 7

2018: 0 (after 60 of 64 games)

Also with the qualifier of being for violent conduct.  Carlos Sanchez was sent off on a straight red for a DOGSO in the Japan game. 

• Like 2

I think today's game might disappoint.  I don't think Belgium will be able to counter with Kante cleaning up every mess.  

Even taken in the context of all the other ####ty takes in my previews, the call that I didn't know if Kante could play as the deepest midfield is looking particularly stupid.  He's been the best player in the tournament for me.  

Edited by Ramsay Hunt Experience
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I think today's game might disappoint.  I don't think Belgium will be able to counter with Kante cleaning up every mess.  

Even taken in the context of all the other ####ty takes in my previews, the call that I didn't know if Kante could play as the deepest midfield is looking particularly stupid.  He's been the best player in the tournament for me.  

yeah, it's between him and Putin at this point. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Also with the qualifier of being for violent conduct.  Carlos Sanchez was sent off on a straight red for a DOGSO in the Japan game. 

I can't remember.  Did this change come fairly recently (red card for DOGSO) or has it been in the rules for a while?

Speaking of DOGSO, it has had some very inconsistent interpretations in the tournament.

Just now, shader said:

Dembele starts for Belgium.  First time during this WC?

He started vs England too for sure.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I can't remember.  Did this change come fairly recently (red card for DOGSO) or has it been in the rules for a while?

Speaking of DOGSO, it has had some very inconsistent interpretations in the tournament.

What's DOGSO?

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

I have to look this up but I believe not only is this his first start, I think he has only one sub appearance late in the second half of a group stage game.

It looks like he played the game v England that essentially didn't count, as both teams played backups.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

A less effective joke than a MAMASO.

I'll say...

6 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I got drunk off of those before.

13 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

He started vs England too for sure.

Yup.

Spurs might have more starters today, than tomorrow when England play  :oldunsure:

i am rooting for belguim because i have always been a waffle man screw you pancakes take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 1

I love how the fox team thinks Martinez is a genius for inventing game planning for an opponents weakness. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

MAMASAY MAMASA MAMAMAKUSA?

Belgium played in the semi-finals in 1986, the first world cup that I watched with any real interest and knowledge, while living in Germany. The same day Maradona scored two of the most famous goals in world cup history to beat England (which I watched at my own surprise birthday party at the home of my Argentinian girlfriend - a story I've told too many times here), Belgium got past Spain on penalties.  3 of the 4 quarterfinal games went to penalties that year, which was considered a terrible shame.

I only remember two players for Belgium that year - Jean Marie Pfaff (who was Bayern Munich's keeper) and a young sensation named Scifo, who turned out to be one of the greatest Belgian players ever.

After scoring both goals to beat England (each was a tremendous goal in its own right), Maradona scored two more incredible goals to beat Belgium 2-0.  The first was a great outside boot touch / chip type goal that was perhaps somewhat lucky, but still incredible. The second was one of those goals where he dribbled seemingly the entire Belgian team, working his way on a solo run from midfield through the box to score, very similar to his second goal against England a few days earlier. That game produced this famous photo. *

Although he didn't score in the final, he was responsible for at least 2 of the goals, including a great defense-splitting pass to put Burruchaga through for the game winner.  That summer, and watching highlights from his games at Napoli that year, is the reason I still consider Maradona the best player of my lifetime.

* wait, I think I'm wrong on this.  It was not from the '86 semi final. Still, awesome photo with some great 1980s looks.

Edited by CletiusMaximus

9 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

I love how the fox team thinks Martinez is a genius for inventing game planning for an opponents weakness. 

And let's not forget, he's not good at it. They've sucked in the first half of games. 

1 minute ago, The Gator said:

And let's not forget, he's not good at it. They've sucked in the first half of games. 

And they were really, really fortunate against Brazil.  One expected goal measure had it like 3.2 for Brazil to .5 for Belgium.  Now that excludes the own goal and Lukaku and KDB deserve credit for producing something magical out of what was really only a half chance (and Coutrois deserves credit for being excellent in goal), but that was in no way, shape or form a tactical master class.  That was riding some big performances in key spots and a lot of luck.

Just now, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

And they were really, really fortunate against Brazil.  One expected goal measure had it like 3.2 for Brazil to .5 for Belgium.  Now that excludes the own goal and Lukaku and KDB deserve credit for producing something magical out of what was really only a half chance (and Coutrois deserves credit for being excellent in goal), but that was in no way, shape or form a tactical master class.  That was riding some big performances in key spots and a lot of luck.

Wi 'gan picking on this guy?

Just now, Kafka said:

Wi 'gan picking on this guy?

Habit, I suppose.

I will give Martinez credit.  His players are playing for him.  He's getting the best out of Lukaku and Hazard (and when not playing him deep, KDB) which is something Wimots really couldn't manage.  But Belgium's weaknesses are apparent for everyone to see.  The trick is exposing them and getting ahead before an individual moment of privilege put Belgium ahead. Because then the game changes and you play right into their wheelhouse.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Good call-  Kante has been amazing. That and those CBs seem like they are big, strong and fast enough to handle lukaku.

Should still be a lot of fun with so many fantastic players in the field...at least one or more will bound to step up. Speaking of, Griezmans had a sleepy by his standards tournament.

And that back line of Belgium will be susceptible to those frenchies... If said frenchies step up.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

And that back line of Belgium will be susceptible to those frenchies... If said frenchies step up.

Pfffttt...put Vermaelan on & he'll have Mbappe in his back pocket.  Book it.

1 minute ago, Nick Vermeil said:

@El Floppo we didn’t make plans! I’m back at the judge for first half if you’re feeling adventurous. 

Typical...what a flip-floppo that guy is

3 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

@El Floppo we didn’t make plans! I’m back at the judge for first half if you’re feeling adventurous. 

[unzips]

go on.....

• Like 3

Worthy children of Low Countries
Whom a fine passion has aroused,
To your patriotic fervour
Great successes lie in store.
Remain under arms, so that naught shall change!
Let us keep to the same will,
And we shall see Orange bloom anew
Upon the tree of Liberty.

clearly wrong thread but does Henry have any full time coaching aspirations?

Asking for some one who needs a national team coach.............................. :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

You forget, these guys had to interview Jurgen  "we need to score a goal!" Klinsmann in the past. 

Martinez must look like Bill James to them :)

• Like 1

Belgium looks great.  Hope they get one before the pressure subsides. 

22 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

[unzips]

go on.....

Floppo wears NBA tear-away Velcro pants. Not that I would know. 

• Like 2