Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide)

2 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

Forgive me if others have said this, but is it the tourney that gets us excited? Kinda like the NCAA BB Tournament, or The Majors in Golf or playoffs in most other sports?  I don't watch much day to day sports (except NFL) but something about playoffs that makes it more exciting!!

No, I think it's the emotion of soccer.  I used to be the "offsides is so stupid" guy and think that the sport was stupid.  But I got tired of hearing people say that it's boring there are too few shots on goal and the games are 2-1 all the time.  a 14-7 NFL game is a 2-1 game.  Granted not entirely the same but still.... 

The fact that it seems like the shots are all so important and so stressful and so damn skillful to put together..... yeah, I haven't given this game enough love.  Having said all that - the country against country for ultimate bragging rights certainly adds some do or die excitement to it.

2 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Tired legs for Croatia and here comes Rashford!

This could be three straight 120 minute games for them in a short time period.  The legs have to come into play eventually.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, T-shirt Ninja said:

Oh no. Sterling out.  The odds of ENG scoring again just went to...ok, they didn’t change at all.

And Rashford shows his touch and skill right away. Technique will always be Sterling's weakens. 

3 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

No, I think it's the emotion of soccer.  I used to be the "offsides is so stupid" guy and think that the sport was stupid.  But I got tired of hearing people say that it's boring there are too few shots on goal and the games are 2-1 all the time.  a 14-7 NFL game is a 2-1 game.  Granted not entirely the same but still.... 

The fact that it seems like the shots are all so important and so stressful and so damn skillful to put together..... yeah, I haven't given this game enough love.  Having said all that - the country against country for ultimate bragging rights certainly adds some do or die excitement to it.

The fact that it's a global tournament does it for me.  National pride and all that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Gator said:

And Rashford shows his touch and skill right away. Technique will always be Sterling's weakens. 

And, in contrast, what really make Mpabbe stand out as a special player.

6 minutes ago, Sand said:

In 2022 you'll get to see how the world handles mass heat stroke.  It should be a sight to see.

And the finest stadiums that forced labor can build.

9 minutes ago, shader said:

Who did Lingard (and Young, and Fellaini ) pay to get this much playing time?

:goodposting:

Maybe the coaches still believe Jose is the Special one?

7 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

The lack of commercial interruptions really helps too with the emotion level for a good game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sand said:

In 2022 you'll get to see how the world handles mass heat stroke.  It should be a sight to see.

WC will be in December. 

59 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

To balance this out, I yell   "take it off and celebrate" every time they show a hottie 

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

The lack of commercial interruptions really helps too with the emotion level for a good game.

Yeah,  no kidding.  So much better than the NFL play for 5 seconds commercials for 5 minutes way of doing things.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

is the old obstruction rule gone?

I think its been loosened.  Ball is supposed to be within reach, which gets bigger all the time

• Like 1

with the new 4th sub rule, do you have to have used 3 in regulation time before you get to use the 4th?

no

• Like 1

with the new 4th sub rule, do you have to have used 3 in regulation time before you get to use the 4th?

I thought you did.  In which case Southgate really blew it. 

Glad the waitress brought me double vodka soda with  15 min left. #wegoagain  

:mellow:

Edited by The Gator

5 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Had to reach a bit because they didn’t even take Andy Carroll. 

Carroll vs. Vida is the donkey show we all deserve

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

You have to buy 5 subs and have the sandwich artist punch your card before you get the 6th one for free.

3 minutes ago, Mookie said:

I thought Croatia was supposed to be tired ...

Russian steroids are the best steroids 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Croatia midfield looking like the team that got them there.  They were so flat in the beginning.

Its a lot easier when England just sat back. Meanwhile Croatia keeps pressing.