What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide) (2 Viewers)

Time wasting yes. but a rule against a keeper catching the ball and falling over for now reason?  Never have seen it called.  Keepers get away with so much.  
no, I meant it does not matter if he falls or not. 

He has 6 seconds to release the ball from his hands after catching.  The refs unfortunately never count the 6 seconds or if they do it is after he gets himself back on his feet.

Keepers could fall over as much as they wanted to as long as they stick to the 6 seconds but since the refs don't call it, too many keepers milk the falling over thing.

no, I meant it does not matter if he falls or not. 

He has 6 seconds to release the ball from his hands after catching.  The refs unfortunately never count the 6 seconds or if they do it is after he gets himself back on his feet.

Keepers could fall over as much as they wanted to as long as they stick to the 6 seconds but since the refs don't call it, too many keepers milk the falling over thing.
Thats what I thought.  Problem is the refs arent calling this.  I've counted 10-12 seconds on a lot of keepers.

Thats what I thought.  Problem is the refs arent calling this.  I've counted 10-12 seconds on a lot of keepers.
yup, as with many things in the sport, it takes the simplest of things to fix but FIFA could care less.

Look at how long it took FIFA to fix the free kick issue with players constantly encroaching.   The fix was simple, quick, and works and no one even thinks twice about it.

England became the only team in WC history to lose* a semi final when leading in the second half. 

*Italy also failed to advance in this same situation in 1990 but that was on pk's and goes in the book as a draw.

I am torn on England's future.

On the one hand this is a very strong young team with lots of talent coming up in the pipeline.

On the other hand, they are likely to never see a WC break for them like this ever again.  Everything went as perfect as possible in their match ups.

England has a thriving (albeit top heavy) league setup, strong academy programs, recent successes at the U17 and U20 levels and a decent current crop of talent.  Its population is greater than Argentina or Spain.  Much of that has been true over the past 28 years though.

It's hard to imagine a knockout draw opening like this again but who knows how a 48 team tournament will play out.  They did lose to the two best sides they faced in Russia.

There's a temptation to move them up a rank from the best of the outsiders to the bottom rung of the favorites but I'll take a rain check until Euro 2020.  They'll probably revert to losing on penalties in the first knockout round.

England has a thriving (albeit top heavy) league setup, strong academy programs, recent successes at the U17 and U20 levels and a decent current crop of talent.  Its population is greater than Argentina or Spain.  Much of that has been true over the past 28 years though.

It's hard to imagine a knockout draw opening like this again but who knows how a 48 team tournament will play out.  They did lose to the two best sides they faced in Russia.

There's a temptation to move them up a rank from the best of the outsiders to the bottom rung of the favorites but I'll take a rain check until Euro 2020.  They'll probably revert to losing on penalties in the first knockout round.
As Vranskjo said postgame....press them and they revert to the long ball game.  They may have the talent in the MF, but they didn’t show it in this tournament.

As Vranskjo said postgame....press them and they revert to the long ball game.  They may have the talent in the MF, but they didn’t show it in this tournament.
Seems unfair to me - if Kane finishes his chance or they convert one of the other decent opportunities in the first half they are playing Sunday.  I say that as some who roots for them but is not a true fan.  They played well enough today to win - I don’t think either team playing today was beating France though.  

I think the difference Sunday is France can match Modric and Ratikic with Kante and Pogba.  France is superior everywhere else on the pitch.

I am torn on England's future.

On the one hand this is a very strong young team with lots of talent coming up in the pipeline.

On the other hand, they are likely to never see a WC break for them like this ever again.  Everything went as perfect as possible in their match ups.
There is no future and England is dreamiiiiiiiiing! 

Seems unfair to me - if Kane finishes his chance or they convert one of the other decent opportunities in the first half they are playing Sunday.  I say that as some who roots for them but is not a true fan.  They played well enough today to win - I don’t think either team playing today was beating France though.  
They played with ONE natural CM all torrney?

Ali was too deep, more of a #10/SS

Lindy/Young don't belong there

So they had three guys playing center back, hendo in the midfield by himself with wingers/strikes around him. Of course they couldn't get around the pressure when pressed. 

They played with ONE natural CM all torrney?

Ali was too deep, more of a #10/SS

Lindy/Young don't belong there

So they had three guys playing center back, hendo in the midfield by himself with wingers/strikes around him. Of course they couldn't get around the pressure when pressed. 
Agree - although I expected more out of Alli.  In hindsight maybe it would have been better to pair Henderson and Dier with Trippier and somebody other than Young on the wings and Kane, Alli/Sterling and maybe Loftus-Cheek up top.  That’s a 3-4-3 but with more midfield control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread