What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide) (4 Viewers)

For those setting your calendars for 2022 - remember the WC will not be until December...
It's actually November. Which really sucks. I don't know how these leagues are gonna handle that. I saw a unconfirmed rumor some of the big Countries may not even participate with that decision because they don't want to make their club teams weaker and possible lose $$$

It's actually November. Which really sucks. I don't know how these leagues are gonna handle that. I saw a unconfirmed rumor some of the big Countries may not even participate with that decision because they don't want to make their club teams weaker and possible lose $$$
Big leagues will plan for a mid-season break.  It will be tougher on the players.  Right now, the big clubs will give their WC players 3 weeks off - so some will miss the start of this season.  But, teams will not be able to afford to give players time off after the 2022 WC.

Yes same time zone , I meant starting games later Qatar time
No idea.  FIFA chose these start times because they worked for both the host country and hit enough of the sweet spots around the world.

I assume they would take the same tactic again, but this is FIFA so I have learned to just wait and be disgusted.

Big leagues will plan for a mid-season break.  It will be tougher on the players.  Right now, the big clubs will give their WC players 3 weeks off - so some will miss the start of this season.  But, teams will not be able to afford to give players time off after the 2022 WC.
Sounds like it will benefit a young deep team.

Know of any?

:lol:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Congratulations to France, who played extraordinary soccer, on winning the 2018 World Cup. Additionally, congratulations to President Putin and Russia for putting on a truly great World Cup Tournament -- one of the best ever!

suck up!

Aside from a handful of brilliant individual moments and a very well organized D, I don't think this French team every really hit their stride...not in the way Croatia did. Which is scary going forward with all these young guys...
They weren’t consistently thrilling, but they were consistently effective. And some of their big players peaked as the tournament went on. I thought Pogba was outstanding from the QFs on. 

They weren’t consistently thrilling, but they were consistently effective. And some of their big players peaked as the tournament went on. I thought Pogba was outstanding from the QFs on. 
Not sure why you think this.  How was he outstanding when Kante did all the yeoman's work?  Serious question, since I respect your opinion, &  saw little from Pogba relative to his high expectations...especially as a creative/aggressor factor.

Not sure why you think this.  How was he outstanding when Kante did all the yeoman's work?  Serious question, since I respect your opinion, &  saw little from Pogba relative to his high expectations...especially as a creative/aggressor factor.
They both did a lot of a lot of yeoman’s work. Pogba won a ton of defensive headers. He set the tempo and orchestrated those effective counters. 

If he had been at his best for the final, Kante would have been a no brained Golden Ball pick for me. I still think he had the best total tournament, but Mbappé had two of the three most electric games. 
Kante and Pogba we're both fantastic doing all the off the ball work. Pretty great when they were on the ball too. But yeah, Kante was a little off in the final- I think because Croatia was going at him and closing him down fast and hard. 

This is what was wrong with the England set-up:

Harry Kane: Distance covered-25.6km (most by an England player, 7th most of any player in the tournament)

When you have one of the best #9s in the world, you don't run him to the ground playing as a #10....

It’s easy to say this since I picked them to win but I think the best and most consistent team won the tournament.  This French side is ridiculously talented and with basically zero holes.  Well deserved IMO.  

Game day at the Catholic Club was incredible. Had my first shot of slivovic at 8:12 am. Followed by some delicious Croatian beer and a bowl of Croatian stew that layed the perfect base for the drinking.

Atmosphere was incredible: when they tied it up the place was electric. Lots of community pride and renewed some connections with some old friends.

Alas, the French were better. I am glad they scored the two solid goals in the second half to validate their performance. They were patient and clinical the whole day. The way they held their defensive shape in the second half was really a lesson on how to hold a lead and play defense.

Great tournament.

This is what was wrong with the England set-up:

Harry Kane: Distance covered-25.6km (most by an England player, 7th most of any player in the tournament)

When you have one of the best #9s in the world, you don't run him to the ground playing as a #10....
Judging by your #'s, he's the #7, correct?

:loco:

It’s easy to say this since I picked them to win but I think the best and most consistent team won the tournament.  This French side is ridiculously talented and with basically zero holes.  Well deserved IMO.  
Yeah we all knew they were loaded with plenty of talent good enough to win it, we just didn't know if they could put it together and keep it together. But it seems to be a bunch that is well balanced and likes playing together. Well deserved.

Yeah we all knew they were loaded with plenty of talent good enough to win it, we just didn't know if they could put it together and keep it together. But it seems to be a bunch that is well balanced and likes playing together. Well deserved.
:goodposting:

I think there are a number of posts before the tournament talking about the depth of the squad, and the quality of the players who did not even make the squad.  Insane amount of talent in France right now.

I think the question was always whether they could put it all together and play a coherent match. 

In retrospect, I think the combination of Kante/Pogba and Mbappe/Griezmann with a little Giroud thrown in, was enough to win by themselves.

I've not always appreciated Giroud the way @Ramsay Hunt Experience does, but watching him today, and how he dominated his position in winning the balls in the air, and his ability to hold up play to bring Griezmann and Mbappe in was as big a part of the winning combo as any.

Final goal count - 169 total.  None by 2014's club leader, Bayern Munich.  thanks to everyone for humoring me with this

Goals By Club

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - 12

Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - 12

Barcelona (ESP) - 11

Real Madrid (ESP) - 10

Atlético Madrid (ESP) - 8

Manchester United (ENG) - 8

Manchester City (ENG) - 5

Villarreal (ESP) - 5

Chelsea (ENG) - 4

CSKA Moscow (RUS) - 4

Juventus (ITA) - 4